• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fami? |1/5-1/7|

I spent some time catching up on Spider Man 2 tonight. I played it at launch but dropped it for a while after some other games came out. Things get more interesting as I keep playing!

I might also continue with Zelda Skyward Sword HD. I beat the first dungeon, and I left off in the second area when I last played it. I vastly prefer the button controls... I switched to motion controls because a certain boss fight felt impossible without them, and I felt like I was just wildly swinging my arm all over the place. I really enjoy most of the game so far, but I want to avoid the motion controls as much as possible.

I’ve mentioned it… multiple weeks now, but this time for real: I am finally wrapping up my first Pikmin 2 playthrough! I got about halfway through my final cave, the Dream Den, tonight, so I definitely feel confident I will get to 100% completion this weekend. Honestly so glad I finally decided to give this series a chance; my brain was definitely not built for Pikmin so it can be a struggle, but I’ve found both 1 and 2 incredibly satisfying to slowly get the hang of. I’ll be taking a break to play other things before I hop into 3 Deluxe and eventually 4, but I am excited to see firsthand how the series has progressed with later entries.

(as long as I don’t have to fight any more Pileated Snagrets, please tell me those bastards go extinct)

Last edited:
Here in spain it's the three wise men day (basically, presents day for us) so, while i already got all my presents in advance, i'll probably spend the whole weekend playing everything, however, there are two games i want to focus on:

Pokémon: SoulSilver version
It's time to start this show. I barely played it through the week, but managed to restart my save, pick a starter, get to Mr. Pokémon house and get the Pokédex from Oak. I hope to reach the first gym this weekend, and gather a decent starting team.

Super Mario RPG Remake
Last time i played, i managed to beat the Axem Rangers and finally get the sixth star. Now i'm back into Bowser's Castle, and i really really really want this to be my first finished game of 2024.

And, well, my RG351p is finally fully set up - ok, i want to get some MS-DOS games there, but still - and i got Super Mario Bros Wonder as a surprise gift. Still, these two are priority.

This weekend, I will be playing Pikmin 3 Deluxe and will probably try to squeeze in a World of Demons replay before it gets removed from Apple Arcade. If the latter doesn't happen, it'll happen during the weekdays.

Continuing on with Chained Echoes this morning. Quick PSA to all the jerks in Rockbottom:
lylWqEY.jpg

I finished Final Fantasy IX the other day. Now I'm playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Enjoying the game despite knowing some members of the team are assholes.

I finished Final Fantasy IX the other day. Now I'm playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Enjoying the game despite knowing some members of the team are assholes.
From what I remember from that (absolutely crushing) long form article about the series, it was pretty much the guys at the very top who were dreadful and the devs and designers did their best to make the game in some awful circumstances. That's the only way kinda respite I took in reading it, and kinda the only way I could wrap my head around something so tender-hearted coming out of those wretched working conditions. That probably sounds a bit naive but there it is. And you probably already know all of this anyway, you just got me thinking is all. I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

From what I remember from that (absolutely crushing) long form article about the series, it was pretty much the guys at the very top who were dreadful and the devs and designers did their best to make the game in some awful circumstances. That's the only way kinda respite I took in reading it, and kinda the only way I could wrap my head around something so tender-hearted coming out of those wretched working conditions. That probably sounds a bit naive but there it is. And you probably already know all of this anyway, you just got me thinking is all. I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

Yeah, one of the designers Thomas Mahler used to post on era. I remember he was very bitter about the success No Man's Sky received after its rough launch. Even seemed jealous.

I'll definitely enjoy it, despite this. The game has a great overall feel. Controls brilliantly.

I'll echo the "OMG so much Final Fantasy" :love: Perfect time of year for JRPGs (summer being the other good time) and FFs are cozy. Love to see it!

As for myself, I'll be picking away at Super Mario Maker (Wii U) Event Courses since it's now or never. I figured out why I bounced hard off this the first time I played it: I went in expecting the sample courses to be more traditional Mario and they're.... absolutely not. Which is fine, it's a weird vibe but one that reminds me a lot of playing around with level builder tools on PC (like SimCity 2000 Urban Renewal Kit or the Starcraft / Heroes of Might & Magic map editors) where as a kid you just want to slap every single asset onto a map regardless of whether or not they make sense. Coming from Wonder this finally clicked for why Super Mario Maker felt "off" to me originally.

I've since made peace with this style of Mario and I'm enjoying it for what it is quite a bit.

Not sure if I'll start Day 4 of Parasite Eve, as much as I want to continue blogging about it in the RPG thread my time is finite and I have higher priorities right now.

Oh, and there will be snow shoveling because we're getting slammed with 10-12" tonight into tomorrow. So that's fun.

I’ve just realized I put “Fami” in the title, when I normally use “Fam”. I apologize for this grievous error.
MODS!

Still enjoying Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life though some parts of the hybrid crop engineering are frustrating and I definitely have spent more time being baby Monsanto instead of paying attention to my family and the new residents in the valley. Alack, alas.

Yeah, one of the designers Thomas Mahler used to post on era. I remember he was very bitter about the success No Man's Sky received after its rough launch. Even seemed jealous.

I'll definitely enjoy it, despite this. The game has a great overall feel. Controls brilliantly.

Yeah I remember about Mahler on Era and his intense postings about Hollow Knight, too. I hope conditions for the devs are better now, there. And I think Ori is a complete series with two games, but I am glad Microsoft owns the IP. The plan at Moon Studios to make more strongly M-rated games sounded very offputting with the specifics given in that article.

Have you already played Blind Forest? There's definitely a connective story where it pays to play them in order. :)

Not sure. Would be happy if people chimed in, trying to decide between :
ace combat 7, soul calibur 6, Metroid Prime remastered, Ryza1, Pikmin 2, way of the thief… or starting LAD7

Finished Batman Arkham Origins DLC so will make a start on The Gunk this evening me thinks. Enjoyed Batman, wasn’t as great as the Rocksteady games but I enjoyed my time with it.

Not sure. Would be happy if people chimed in, trying to decide between :
ace combat 7, soul calibur 6, Metroid Prime remastered, Ryza1, Pikmin 2, way of the thief… or starting LAD7

I’ve only played Metroid Prime Remastered, it’s a brilliant remaster, game is gorgeous and the modern controls feel great!

I hadn’t played the past few weeks so I’m still playing Wario Land 3 and Hades.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Ended up buying the Trilogy again for Switch when I saw the bundle sale with the Great Ace Attorney games was still going on.

I did finish Left Behind last night. Tonight I was planning on focusing on GoW, and I’ll probably still play it, but I don’t know if it’ll be the only thing I play tonight. For one thing, I gotta watch at least the first episode of HBO’s TLOU. And the other thing is, I’m really curious about 13 Sentinels and I want to get that going.

I guess it really is impossible to clear your currently-playing schedule before starting a new game. At least for me.

I did finish Left Behind last night. Tonight I was planning on focusing on GoW, and I’ll probably still play it, but I don’t know if it’ll be the only thing I play tonight. For one thing, I gotta watch at least the first episode of HBO’s TLOU. And the other thing is, I’m really curious about 13 Sentinels and I want to get that going.

I guess it really is impossible to clear your currently-playing schedule before starting a new game. At least for me.

I have a running joke that my toxic trait is dropping a game sixty percent through, then coming back and finishing it six months later.

I’ve mentioned it… multiple weeks now, but this time for real: I am finally wrapping up my first Pikmin 2 playthrough! I got about halfway through my final cave, the Dream Den, tonight, so I definitely feel confident I will get to 100% completion this weekend. Honestly so glad I finally decided to give this series a chance; my brain was definitely not built for Pikmin so it can be a struggle, but I’ve found both 1 and 2 incredibly satisfying to slowly get the hang of. I’ll be taking a break to play other things before I hop into 3 Deluxe and eventually 4, but I am excited to see firsthand how the series has progressed with later entries.

(as long as I don’t have to fight any more Pileated Snagrets, please tell me those bastards go extinct)
I believe you're in the clear. I will never forget running into the first one and watching my army shrink to almost nothing.

Anywho, I feel like a giant dork. After years of ruing its platform exclusivity (which still sucks), I finally started FFVIIR and had an emotional response. I know my nostalgia is being pandered to, but I'm human! I can't help but swoon at the soundtrack and seeing a segment I've played dozens of times lovingly remade.

Anywho, I feel like a giant dork. After years of ruing its platform exclusivity (which still sucks), I finally started FFVIIR and had an emotional response. I know my nostalgia is being pandered to, but I'm human! I can't help but swoon at the soundtrack and seeing a segment I've played dozens of times lovingly remade.
FF7R is a special game. Take your time and enjoy it. It’s wonderful.

Yeah I remember about Mahler on Era and his intense postings about Hollow Knight, too. I hope conditions for the devs are better now, there. And I think Ori is a complete series with two games, but I am glad Microsoft owns the IP. The plan at Moon Studios to make more strongly M-rated games sounded very offputting with the specifics given in that article.

Have you already played Blind Forest? There's definitely a connective story where it pays to play them in order. :)

I have Ori and the Blind Forest. Played it for a bit but lost interest. I'm enjoying the sequel more. I don't mind if there's story aspects I miss out on.

I have Ori and the Blind Forest. Played it for a bit but lost interest. I'm enjoying the sequel more. I don't mind if there's story aspects I miss out on.
I totally understand. I'm glad you're enjoying the sequel more, it's definitely its own thing.

I played nothing this weekend and have no regrets. Given my failing eyesight, I probably shouldn't be staring intensively at a smaller screen (even with the Switch OLED's larger screen) for long. Instead, I have been reading online manga and physical books.

Long Live the Pumpkin Queen is a book I only discovered existed when I was browsing Barnes & Nobles in NYC last November. I really liked the original Nightmare before Xmas so I do want to read this quasi-maybe-not-canon sequel. So when back home, I got around to borrowing the book from my local library. Is it good? Well... the start was really slow and kinda boring. It only really starts to pick up at around... chapter 4 when Sally runs away from her duties and accidentally releases an ancient evil. Even then, I wouldn't call it a banger but it became more 'readable'. At the end, I can't say that it is the 'sequel' I want but it was decent. I had a decent time reading the book. (Bonus points coming from the experience of reading a physical printed book)

Then I read the entire Dungeon Meshi manga within two days. Very enjoyable manga. The final imagery of how the main protagonist defeats the final villain by eating was really... appropriate and beautiful. Don't click through and spoil yourself if it is your first time reading the manga/watching the anime. And following it up with watching the new anime based on it was very enjoyable. The English dub might have star power but I'm going to stick to my usual choice of subs. Subs ftw. Always.

Anyway, although I had ZERO gaming time this weekend, I considered it a weekend well spent.

Ok well I guess I lied last night - I didn’t start 13 Sentinels. Instead I focused on GoW, and I just now wrapped that up. That Hades level was something else; eff those spinning blade logs and those spinning blade towers. Ares was a piece of cake compared to those bastards.

Tonight I’m going to start 13 Sentinels. I have literally no idea what I’m getting myself into. I’m effectively going in blind. I know it’s a VN, and it’s got mech combat. That’s it.

Tonight I’m going to start 13 Sentinels. I have literally no idea what I’m getting myself into. I’m effectively going in blind. I know it’s a VN, and it’s got mech combat. That’s it.
There is no better way to start this game! Hold on to your butt(s)

I ended up playing something I already finished like I figured and I wish I hadn't. I remember the game being a lot better and holy shit the QoL changes in its sequel is so apparent and gives me an appreciation for them. I won't mention the game because I am pretty sure it's considered good still and don't feel like arguing over it. Good thing about it is it made me appreciate the newer game.

Been playing a bit of everything…Octopath Traveller II, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy IV PR, and Slay the Spire. The latter continues to kick my butt…still haven’t gotten a win with the Watcher. I blame RNG (lol).

Been playing a bit of everything…Octopath Traveller II, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy IV PR, and Slay the Spire. The latter continues to kick my butt…still haven’t gotten a win with the Watcher. I blame RNG (lol).
That’s a lot of RPGs at once! 😮

Last week I played through Star Ocean 2 Remake on PS5, I finished it last night!! I never made it very far into the original PS 1 release, the biggest reason being no on screen mini map from what I remember! this Remake is the best way to play Star Ocean 2! The included on scteen mini map and the larger map in the menu is the single biggest improvenent/enhancement! seeing how large some of these dungeons are and how some twist and wind all over the place I can see how the original version of the game would be beyond overwhelming for some. If you’ve been wanting to play this remake but have been on the fence just pull the trigger, it really is the ideal way to play the game! If you’ve never played it and have been wanting to, same thing don’t think twice about it!

I’ve played 13 Sentinels for half an hour. Here is an image that gets my feelings across quite well:

588p98.png

Finished Batman Arkham Origins DLC so will make a start on The Gunk this evening me thinks. Enjoyed Batman, wasn’t as great as the Rocksteady games but I enjoyed my time with it.

Finished The Gunk last night, short and sweet experience, glad I finally got round to playing it.

Think my next game will be Jusant

And the weekend it's over, and with it, the holidays here in Spain.

I spent a good chunk of the weekend with all my other presents. Prepared some collections on my RG351p wich i partially filled, got up to the second half of the book my sis gave me for christmas and started building the Metal World model kit my bro in law gave me for the three wise men day. Of course, i still played the games i chose for this weekend, and this is what came from them:

Super Mario RPG Remake
Went through Bowser's castle and battled Exor. Back when i played it emulated on PC and later on the Wii VC, Exor was a roadblock because i couldn't him him with the Geno whirl (his battle is a pain in the ass), but this time i nailed the timing after two unsuccesful tries! It was, however, less climatic than i expected (had a huge rush though) and went through the Weapon world/dimension until right before fighting Smithy (or at least that's what the game is making me think. Already cleared the factory aside of the last battle wich i started but... the cats demanded bed time)

I'm expecting to finish the game before the wednesday. Looking forward to it.

Pokémon: SoulSilver version
I finally went beyond Mr. Pokémon's house and reached Violet city, i played both at daytime and nightime and catched enough 'mons to concoct not only a full team, but also got additional critters for rotation. It was, mostly, a route 31 grindfest, but once my team was ready... HOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOI

When my team reached an average level of 10, i went to the Violet Gym and bulldozed through the mob trainers up to Falkner, who gave me some trouble with his Pidgeotto (the nerve of him!)

Once the gym was crushed alongside everyone's hopes and dreams, this is the team i was left with:

• DobleDrill the Kakuna (lv 9) - I caught her only to fill the pokédex, but she turned to be one hell of a poisoner. Since not a single Pokémon in the whole Violet Gym knew Flying type attacks until Falkner's Pidgeotto, this evil looking cocoon over here survived every battle enough time to poison the hell out of those airbone Rattatas. The unsung MVP of the party so far.
  • PyroMouse the Cindaquil (lv 11) - Chose her as my starter and isn't doing so bad - low defenses aside - Official sadist of the team, hitting Critical Hits like they're going out of style. I think i'm having a high luck run because holy shit. Sacrificed herself agaisnt the oversized chicken, trying to burn it to a crisp. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten, little mouse.
  • Plushette the Sentret (lv. 10) - Look, i love Sentret and Furret, i gave her the chance to scratch some Pidgeys, but i don't know how tf she reached level 10. Didn't do much in the gym, but her help was priceless during grinding.
  • WiseOwl the HootHoot (lv. 8) - Failed every single Hypnosis he threw during the gym after putting half of the Route 31 to sleep. I'm this close to switch him for a Zubat, that's how much he pissed me off.
  • Emeth the Geodude (lv. 10) - "You will find a very useful Pokémon agaisnt Falkner in the dark cave" I mean... Yes, he could take hits like a champ, but at level 10 he still hasn't learned Rock Throw, so his role was to tank attacks and, honestly, be a bit of a hidrance. Your head is on the chopping block, dude... (who i'm i kidding, he's literally a head!)
  • GrassKlown the Bellsprout (lv. 8) - The grass critter that made me wish i picked Chikorita for the 9th time. Seriously, this thing is made of glass wtf?
Aside of these, i have a Ghastly and a Zubat waiting to be picked from the PC, and most likely Ghastly is making it to the team as soon as i evolve DobleDrill. GrassKlown is staying... for now, but i plan to replace him as soon as i get better option. For now, almost the whole team is provisional, but we'll see.

Objectives for this week: Reach Azalea town and throw some rocks at Bugsy. That would be it. For now.

And, in general, this week i plan on making a list of backlog games i want to finish this year. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Tears of the Kingdom are already selected, but i don't think i'll pick up more open world games for now. Aside of that, nothing else.

My weekend report - I have hit the 48 hour mark in Octopath Traveler II. I was in a weird spot where my characters were too underleveled for challenges so I was really poking around every last inch of the map to see where I could go to avoid grinding. I wiped out in a few directions before I decided to make the trek through the northern mountain and through the wall into Stormhail (iirc on the name). That journey leveled up my weakest members and now I have multiple chapters and dungeons lined up cleanly again so I’m feeling good there. I cleared my first chapter 4 tonight and was surprised to see a chapter 5 open up. Feeling a little burnt out, but I am interested in seeing this game fully through.

As for Magia Record, I did finish Another Story Chapter 5 and started Chapter 6. I think I likely will pause for now when I finish Chapter 6 because each of the Another Story chapters have done a great job expanding and adding new angles to the story (which feel especially welcome with how big the cast is) and I don’t think skipping them or reading a plot summary will do it justice if I can avoid it. As for Chapter 6 so far, there was a plot element I didn’t fully catch the significance of in the prior chapter and while it hasn’t come into play just yet for where I’m at, now that I recognized it I’m pretty excited to see what’s coming.

That’s a lot of RPGs at once! 😮

It is lol, but I'll probably focus back on FF XVI and FF IV PR in the short term, especially considering the latter isn't very long (though I'm playing the PS4 version now and going for the platinum trophy). Octopath II may be a slow burn for a bit.

I started Pikmin 2 this weekend, and it kinda took me by surprise just how linear the first 4 days are. Luckily, the playing field is wide open now that I have all Pikmin types

I had a great weekend. It was the least stressful, least hectic, most relaxing weekend in a while due to there not being anything we had to do or people we had to see. Thank goodness the chaos of the holidays are behind us. It was nice to be able to just spend time with my boys, take care of the chores and errands that needed taken care of, and relax.

I’ve talked a lot in this thread already about what I was playing, so I’ll just say that it was really nice to set a goal for what I wanted to do and that I was able to accomplish it. Rolling credits for two different titles, even if one is DLC, is pretty good for me. And starting 13 Sentinels is the cherry on top, even if that game is so nuts that I can hardly make heads or tails of it yet.

Looking forward to next weekend! Is it Friday yet?

Ended up only playing Wario Land 3. It has a surprisingly addicting gameplay loop of quickly clearing levels to unlock either new levels or new powerups that open new parts of previous levels. Really impressed with this game...

...I have to say that I'm mostly liking it thanks to the Rewind button though, the game seems designed to waste your time but I can completely ignore that part haha.

I had a great weekend. It was the least stressful, least hectic, most relaxing weekend in a while due to there not being anything we had to do or people we had to see
Always awesome to get some quality private time. May more weekends be like that.

I only played a little bit of Chained Echoes side content and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Stuff came up, unfortunately lol

I was this close to beating one of the Elder Gods in World of Horror thanks to a lucky weapon drop, but then I found out what happens when the you reach 100% DOOM on the DOOM counter. 😂

😨

Back
Top Bottom