• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fami? |1/5-1/7|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Happy Friday Fami! Welcome to the weekly weekend thread. The holidays are firmly in the rear view mirror, and the possibilities of the new year are all laid out before us - including possibilities for the weekend! Tell us your gaming plans for the next few days, because we wanna hear about them. Let’s go!

——————

I rolled credits for The Last of Us Part 1 two nights ago, and last night I played most of the Left Behind DLC. I don’t have much left, so tonight I’m going to wrap that up. Then I’ll probably get an HBO subscription and start watching the show! And then it’ll be on to Part II once the PS5 upgrade becomes available.

My main focus this weekend will be rolling credits for God of War. I’m sitting at the entrance to the Cliffs of Madness, so there’s not much left. I gotta make it past the cliffs, get through Hades, and then hand Ares his own butt. I’m sure it’ll be a good time.

If I manage to finish GoW, then I’ll be starting 13 Sentinels - Aegis Rim on the Switch. Normally, a game like this wouldn’t be my type of thing. But I’ve heard a lot of good things from people who I know have good taste, and it was on sale during the holidays. So I’m gonna at least give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is I’ll realize that it’s not for me. Maybe it’s something I’ll fall in love with? I donno!

——————

Let us know what games you’re planning on playing this weekend. Stay safe everybody, and have fun!

Oh boy. 13 Sentinels! Buckle the hell up and enjoy @Red Monster. I guarantee you are not prepared!

Bc1Hwny.gif

I am slowly chipping away at Remnant II; I’m just after the first boss now, and I’m enjoying it. Little rough around the edges though. My character often breathes a sigh of relief and remarks she’s “glad that’s over” when shit is very much still popping off. Had a few enemies spawn inside the floor, helpless with their ‘lil dumb guy heads exposed. That sort of thing. But the action is great, and I’m enjoying the world and lore.

On the Switch, continuing with Chained Echoes. In the middle of exploring the first area it really lets you loose in and, wow. I can tell this game is something a little special already, and I have a feeling I ain’t seen nothin’ yet. How long did it take you to play @Yamanoi?

Finally, I’ll be starting something on Mac: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition! One of my most formative, beloved games. I haven’t played it in so long, and it seems to run great. I spent 90 minutes making my character and writing their backstory last night. Fuck yeah.

Oh boy. 13 Sentinels! Buckle the hell up and enjoy @Red Monster. I guarantee you are not prepared!

On the Switch, continuing with Chained Echoes. In the middle of exploring the first area it really lets you loose in and, wow. I can tell this game is something a little special already, and I have a feeling I ain’t seen nothin’ yet. How long did it take you to play @Yamanoi?

Finally, I’ll be starting something on Mac: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition! One of my most formative, beloved games. I haven’t played it in so long, and it seems to run great. I spent 90 minutes making my character and writing their backstory last night. Fuck yeah.

Like 40 hours I think?

I think I'm going to go:

Drainus (Switch), GTA San Andreas (iOS), Monster Hunter World (PS5), and read Chainsaw Man on Kindle if I see it on the store.

i'm gonna play ZeroRanger. i'm gonna play Final Fantasy VIII. i might even play Theatrhythm Final Bar Line.
and I recently got a new computer to replace my failing decade-old one so for the first time in a long time, i'm gonna play my favorite video game, Blender.

Glad to see you try out 13 Sentinels!

My parents are borrowing my switch at the moment (my father was hooked on Nintendo Switch Sports) so I’ll see what fun I can get up to elsewhere.

Like a stupid fool without any self-control, I bought the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters last night. I started playing Final Fantasy V. I have the PS1 version but I didn't make it too far because VI was the one that really grabbed me at the time and plus, it's the PS1 version so it kind of sucked with the load times and the localization. So this playthrough on Switch will mostly be a fresh experience.

I also got Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Episode Intermission over the holiday. I might start that since it seems pretty short and I want to have a gap between playing that and FFVII Rebirth.

I'll also likely dable in some more Nier Automata on Switch. I beat the game way back in 2017 so this is more just a casual playthrough where I'll pick it up here and there. I'm in no rush to complete it.

So I’m gonna at least give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is I’ll realize that it’s not for me. Maybe it’s something I’ll fall in love with? I donno!
Always cool to try pushing outside your comfort zone! 13 Sentinels is a doozy of a story, enjoy the ride.

On the Switch, continuing with Chained Echoes
This is basically my weekend gaming plan, too! I'm mostly cleaning off some side content for now. I'll try to switch (heh) things up a little with some Bear and Breakfast, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Graceful Explosion Machine and A Good Snowman Is Hard to Build.

Glad to see you try out 13 Sentinels!

My parents are borrowing my switch at the moment (my father was hooked on Nintendo Switch Sports) so I’ll see what fun I can get up to elsewhere.
You were one of the people with good taste that made me want to try it, so thanks Irene!

I'm playing the waiting game for the new Prince of Persia. Does that count as a valid answer to this topic?
Yes it does, because I’m right there with you. The new PoP looks sick.

I spent all Christmas break trying to settle on what discounted game I wanted to buy as my own Christmas present, not sure what vibes I was in the mood for.

Finally I settled on musou being what I wanted, and ordered Fire Emblem: Three Hopes. It showed up this week, and it kicks ass. There's just something that never gets old about doing some ridiculous attack that envelopes 100 enemies and sends them flying while the framerate crashes to 15 fps.

So yeah, I'll be playing that all weekend. I'm trying to keep a tighter budget in 2024 so it's my last purchase until Prince of Persia.

Just started Yakuza 7 on my Steam Deck. I hope Infinite Wealth runs just as well on the hardware.

I really want to get some writing done this weekend so not too much vidyagaming.

Continuing with Trace Memory (DS). I don’t love it (sorry) which is what’s taking so long. Hoping it picks up soon.

Otherwise, I may boot up Alundra (PS1) for the ol’

IMG-1172.jpg

I don’t hate it; I just can’t get past this one part.

Looking like it'll be a "wrapping stuff up" kind of weekend for me.

• On PC, I got the point-of-no-return alert in Spider-Man Remastered
  • On Steam Deck, I've pretty much just got some collectibles clean-up left in Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated before the final boss
  • On Switch, I think there's just a level or two left in Lunistice

Final Fantasy V. Played some over the years but now it's time to really trying to understand how the job system works and how to utilize it.

I've been using the sparing time during my christmas vacation to play through Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed and it's been a blast. After some really meaty stuff these past years I've been enjoying something that's still strongly in my alley (and Xenoblade as a series has been getting better with every entry), but still short and sweet.

I've finished the plot already, so all that is left is finish up all the missions and train up to fight the superbosses.

I haven't decided past that - maybe I'll go back to Gal Guardians: Demon Purge (Classicvania fans, this is a title you should definitely play) to finish it, maybe I'll join @Red Monster in playing 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, maybe I'll... look, idk why I'm still not finishing The Fairy's Song, I'm losing cred as a himedanshi here.

Happy Friday, Fami! I have the weekend off which is rare for me!

I've been reading Return to Shironagasu Island on Switch. It's a murder mystery/horror VN with scattered point n click investigation scenes. Digging the atmosphere and mystery of it all. It's one of those where sometimes you have to exhaust all dialogue or click on everything multiple times to proceed which is a bit tiresome. Overall good for its price and I think I'm close to the end so it won't overstay its welcome (fingers crossed).

My "rotation" games whenever I feel like it are currently F-Zero (SNES), F-Zero 99, Pokémon Unite, and Splatoon 3.
I'm about "done" with Splat 3, not in a bad way as it's been an absolute joy to play. Just after 500 or so hours of multiplayer later I'm ready to shelf it. The only thing standing in my way is the final kettle in the singleplayer, After Alterna. Side Order when?

I should be getting back to Pokémon Scarlet: The Indigo Disk at some point. It's been... fine. I'm feeling a strange urge to play a 3D platformer though. Maybe I'll replay Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie, or give Yooka-Laylee a proper start.

Much to play in the times we live in.

Going to be really social this weekend, but thankfully they're gamers, so after work today, I'm going to show an fairly casual, but FF/JRPG loving buddy Xenoblade for the first time (He's never heard of it before), going to another friend's house tomorrow where we will probably be playing ToTK, and during my alone times, I'll probably either be replaying Blaster Master Zero trilogy or working through Trials of Mana.

Friday already?! That felt quick. 13 Sentinels is definitely on my backlog for this year sometime...but not for this weekend.

I finished Shantae (Switch) early this morning because my sleep schedule sucks D: and felt compelled to go right into Shantae Risky's Revenge (also Switch). I've played Pirate's Curse through the latest entry and I've had these LRG physical releases on the shelf, so I'm knocking 'em out. I might actually finish it but we'll see!

Also I'll finally give my PS5 more love and start Deathloop (PS5). I've been putting this one off for a WHILE so I'm finally ready to check it out! I heard they updated this version with motion controls too which is awesome.

Not sure about anything multiplayer related, maybe some more Titanfall 2 (PC)?

Last edited:
This is also my "wrap up" weekend for Switch. Planning to be done with:
Disgaea 7
Monster Menu
Baten Kaitos Origins
Gungrave G.O.R.E.
Gothic II

Honestly, who knows? It could be A Highland Song, or Baldur's Gate 3, or Dredge, or Final Fantasy II, or Baten Kaitos, or Star Ocean 2, or Oracle of Ages, or Metroid Fusion.

Not a clue which one I'll start.

I've been playing and have gotten really into Pikmin 4, so more of that.

Besides that I'm gonna play some Monster Hunter World, there's been a huge community push to return to the game and it's cool to see it so active again.

Ooh! One of those games I wish I could experience for the first time all over again. How far are you in?

Also, found some future footage of @Red Monster after a weekend with 13 Sentinels:
HkBlg77.gif

vJtfbpJ.gif
Just beat the One Reborn so a little past the halfway point I think. I’ll probably do the DLC soon but kinda dreading Orphan of Kos based on what I’ve heard lol. Only my third Soulsborne game as I beat Elden Ring in 2022 and just beat Demon’s Souls last week.

Honestly loving Bloodborne, may be tied with Elden Ring as one of my all time favorites, the atmosphere is just incredible.

Yes. I'm not a super nostalgic person but FFVIII breaches my cold black heart every time. Where are you at? First time playing?
yep first time! I guess my partner and I have established a loose tradition of starting a new FF on new year's day, after FFX and FFVI the last two years (though we never finished VI lol), so we're very very early, I think partway through that first real mission after the fire cave.

Just beat the One Reborn so a little past the halfway point I think. I’ll probably do the DLC soon but kinda dreading Orphan of Kos based on what I’ve heard lol. Only my third Soulsborne game as I beat Elden Ring in 2022 and just beat Demon’s Souls last week.

Honestly loving Bloodborne, may be tied with Elden Ring as one of my all time favorites, the atmosphere is just incredible.
Wow, nice work! Every “Souls game” is good, no matter what the haters say. Dark Souls II for life.

I feel like a big factor in your DLC enjoyment will be how much you enjoy duelling other hunters because there is a fair bit of that, especially early on! Orphan of Kos can be pretty gruelling for sure. It’s also just…gross? I think I lost a couple extra times just because of how distractingly gross it is lol. But don’t worry (or do): Ludwig and Lady Maria are also really hard. I struggled the most with Maria by far. That second phase…

UDuiSCx.jpg

It’s smart of you to do the DLC ASAP though, because there are some amazing weapons in there! Shoutout to the whirligig and moonlight blade.

I’ve never missed having a PlayStation more than this moment. 💔

Last edited:
yep first time! I guess my partner and I have established a loose tradition of starting a new FF on new year's day, after FFX and FFVI the last two years (though we never finished VI lol), so we're very very early, I think partway through that first real mission after the fire cave.
Omg. Your first time through FFVIII. I hope you both enjoy it. It’s one of the few games I know inside and out, so if you’re miffed at any point give me a shout! It doesn’t always do the best job at explaining itself.

(Also you and your partner rule, that’s a white-hot tradish)

I finished both Gunbrella (Switch) and Batman Arkham Origins (Steam Deck) the last couple of nights so it’s been a solid week gaming this first week of the year! What to play this weekend though…

Batman Arkham Origins Cold Cold Night DLC (Steam Deck) will likely be played so I can wrap up the game. In terms of what new to play, I was thinking of playing The Gunk (Steam Deck) which I picked up in the Steam Winter sale, been looking forward to playing that one for a while.

Happy weekend Fami!

Hitting World 2 of Super Mario Wonder and I'm beyond thrilled with it, really digging the triumphant return of an ultra-fun 2D Mario.

World of Horror is scratching an entirely different infected itch, and I love it too. Such a cool and refreshing rouge adventure blend.

iu

I’ll probably do the DLC soon but kinda dreading Orphan of Kos based on what I’ve heard lol.
You're going to be fine, don't worry about the bosses- worry about the hulking monstrosities known as THE SHARKBROS. You'll know when you know. The DLC takes Bloodborne to its deserved heights of 11/10, it features my favorite bosses in all of FROMdom and perhaps the prettiest skyboxes in the game? Sublime.

I’ve just realized I put “Fami” in the title, when I normally use “Fam”. I apologize for this grievous error.

This weekend I think I'll finally beat Resident Evil 3 Remake, which I've had for years. Beyond that, I've got RE4 Remake, Alan Wake 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy XVI, and a host of smaller/indie games (A Space for the Unbound, Case of the Golden Idol, Chicory, Opus: Echo of Starsong, etc.) that I want to get to. I guess it'll depend what I'm in the mood for after RE3.

Saturday update: Wasn't really feeling RE3's gameplay so I restarted on the lower (Assisted) difficulty and got to the sewers. I'll give it another session to grab me. I also played a bit of Chicory and found it wasn't my sort of game. My older kid is playing Cassette Beasts as I type this, and holy moly it's totally Pokemon.

Last edited:
Since I have very little free time, I'll be playing some form of Star Wars on my Switch and, possibly, Street Fighter 6 on my Xbox.

Prepping for the epilogue of Pokémon Violet next week by having the required amount of BP today. No clue what I'll play tomorrow yet. If I was smart I'd play something from my backlog but I'll probably replay a classic.

I've started Yakuza 3 (Series S), as I do need to catch up on the games. I might hold off on Infinite Wealth until it comes on Gamepass for this reason. Or I might not, since LAD was a new start for the series anyway and I've played that. Currently on Chapter 3, so right now it's just comfy good dad Kiryu.

Also finally got the Pokemon DLC after being on the fence for a while so I'm making my way through Teal Mask.

I'm once again playing Octopath Traveler II and enjoying the Magia Record fan translation this weekend. In Octopath, I believe I can say I've hit the halfway mark in the game with a few Chapter 3s done and only one chapter 2 left. I'm having a good time mostly, but for a while I had a strategy that was too good with Partitio (His full BP Latent Power + Catapult would wipe out nearly every normal mob in one turn and you could do it for every fight with one skill equipped!) so I'm glad I'm subbing him out for a while because the game was getting dull. I'm not quite ready to explore it, but I'm excited to explore the ocean soon.

As for Magia Record, I just finished Chapter 5 yesterday so I'm rolling into Another Story Chapter 5 and plan to start Chapter 6 as well. Chapter 5 was pretty good overall, but ended on some odd notes (An until now mostly offscreen character got hit with a rock while giving a speech. It has thematic / plot stuff attached to it, but it was emotionally such a whatever moment lol), but even so I'm excited to push forward. I'm currently planning on stopping for now when I finish Chapter 6 as while the fan translation has finished Chapters 7 and 8, their translation for Another Story currently ends with Chapter 5 which you normally alternate between. If Chapter 6 ends on a wild cliffhanger, I might just read some plot summaries and push on, but we'll see when I get there!

—————

If I manage to finish GoW, then I’ll be starting 13 Sentinels - Aegis Rim on the Switch. Normally, a game like this wouldn’t be my type of thing. But I’ve heard a lot of good things from people who I know have good taste, and it was on sale during the holidays. So I’m gonna at least give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is I’ll realize that it’s not for me. Maybe it’s something I’ll fall in love with? I donno!

——————

Oh boy, playing 13 Sentinels is going to be a mood for 2024. Watch out for giant robots and yakisoba pan cravings! I can't wait for a 13 Sentinels gushing thread.

I'm actually not too sure what to play on the Switch this weekend. There's a Pokemon Go community day for Rowlet later today. And GBF is having guild war again. Since my Fire grid is actually decent, I'm thinking of making a push for my guild this time.

Otherwise... probably more Pokemon Violet? Maybe I should just get started on the Indigo Disk DLC since at this rate, I should finish the storyline in time for the epilogue to drop.

Trails to Azure. Also possibly Madden, but with NFL games on tomorrow and Sunday I'll be getting my football fix for the weekend anyway.

Also going to be playing FFVIII this weekend! Near the end now. I’m feeling confident I haven’t gotten enough magic junctioned to get through the final boss(es?), though, so I may end up having to actually use the cheats the Switch version provides to just check it off my list if it comes down to it. I’ve enjoyed my time with it!

Back
Top Bottom