• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This weekend, Fam? Calm before the storm |5/5-5/7|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Happy Friday, fami! Once again we’ve got a barebones OP for this thread, since I’m writing this on my phone from the hospital. Red Monster Jr 2 was born two days ago! In light of that, I won’t be playing any games this weekend (or maybe ever again now that I’ve got two kids, we’ll see about that).

But I know lots of you folks are gonna play something this weekend! Maybe you’re scrambling to finish what you’re playing before TotK next week, or maybe you’re sticking with an old favorite. Maybe you’re starting something completely brand new in the hopes you can finish it before TotK comes out and consumes everyone’s lives.

This is the thread to tell everyone what your weekend plans are. Go for it!

Wowza! That’s amazing news. Hope you, your partner and your new baby have a great first weekend together.

Going to wrap up the Xenoblade 3 DLC, been really enjoying that so far. I was going to spend a bunch of my free time this weekend digging deep into Redfall, a game I was really excited for! For reasons you likely understand, I will not be doing that. Instead I’m going to mess with some backward compatible stuff I’ve been meaning to get to — Splinter Cell, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Manhunt. Loved all those games when they came out but haven’t played ‘em in forever. Basically, I’ll just be tooling around until Diablo IV drops.

Congrats to the Red Monster family! This weekend I'll be playing Advance Wars and Skyward Sword HD.

Advance Wars is my new forever addiction and Skyward Sword is giving me that sweet, sweet Zelda puzzle action to tide me over until TotK.

Btw I've had dreams about TotK at this point

It is clean up weekend. I have three games where I am close to the end with.

-Forspoken (PS5): Chapter 11
-Advance Wars (NSW): Mission 20
-Wind Waker (Wii-U): Last dungeon

I keep trying to play other games but TOTK is in the back of my brain reminding me that's not what I really want to play. Hell, even trying to play other Zelda titles isn't helping lol. I've started playthroughs of ocarina, minish cap, and aLttP in the last two days and it's just not scratching the itch.

Does "Not trying to become insane from the wait" count as a game? Granted, it's not very fun.

(Future Redeemed, this HAS to be done by thursday next week)

Happy Friday, fami! Once again we’ve got a barebones OP for this thread, since I’m writing this on my phone from the hospital. Red Monster Jr 2 was born two days ago! In light of that, I won’t be playing any games this weekend (or maybe ever again now that I’ve got two kids, we’ll see about that).

But I know lots of you folks are gonna play something this weekend! Maybe you’re scrambling to finish what you’re playing before TotK next week, or maybe you’re sticking with an old favorite. Maybe you’re starting something completely brand new in the hopes you can finish it before TotK comes out and consumes everyone’s lives.

Fami's growing, congrats.

What will be Jr. 2's username?

Not TotK, that's for sure (No, I am not bitter!...).

But I will make a lot of progress in Metroid Prime Corruption, hopefully.!

I'm playing the waiting game.

Just some Picross since it's something I can start and drop whenever.

I'm around two thirds of the way through 13 Sentinels so I will hopefully finish that....
otherwise just poking away at Minish Cap though I have zero aspirations of finishing it anytime soon. really just in it to see more of the all-time great pixel art

Future redeemed is the main focus as I wanna beat it before ToTK. Part way into route 2 of Nier replicant. Advance wars has been beating out TGAA as my evening game which is fine as Aw I have as a cartridge so it’ll get shelved by ToTK for a bit

Congrats on the new addition to the family, @Red Monster!

I got my copy of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters yesterday, so this weekend will be a mix of FF3 and Super Mario Maker 2. I wanna try to make a new level in SMM2, it's been a while, but the topic here got me excited for it again.

Will probably finish Astro’s Playroom, it’ll probably be my last PS5 game for a while since I’ll be returning my friend his PS5 by June. And I’m pretty sure I’ll still be obsessed with TotK in June.

I'm getting closer to finishing FE Engage, currently on Chapter 24... Just 2 paralogues and a few more chapters left, just in time for TotK it seems.

I also need to get back to the e-reader levels in Mario Advance 4 so that my Exploring NSO project doesn't die lol.

I ended up finishing my Hard mode playthrough of FF7R earlier this week and finished up the Platinum. Decided to start a New Game+ of FFXV, so will probably play that a bit in between jumping back into Splatoon 3 for the new Splatfest (Team Wisdom!).

Warioware get it together
Donkey Kong tropical freeze

And starting every single Zelda game and not continuing because they don’t do anything to ease the wait.

I’m gonna try and finish cadence of hyrule this weekend (free trail)

Congrats on the plus one @Red Monster !

Splatoon 3 Zelda splatfest weekend is a thing, not sure if I'll start that tonight or tomorrow. Other than that I've been trying not to commit to playing anymore longer single player games in anticipation for Zelda TOTK.

...I did remember I had Bright Memory Infinite in my Steam library and that game is way better than the original version they had. That'll definitely get knocked out this weekend. I may actually get it on the Switch since it's a solid port (and it's only 2-3 hours long lol)

Congrats RM!

For me this weekend, I’ll be delving into the Splatfest in Splatoon 3 to keep the Zelda hype going. Dabble a bit more with Advance Wars plus probably have another little go on Minit Fun Racer

I'll be blasting through Metroid Prime in spare moments between chanting "may the king live forever" at the telly

Many congrats @Red Monster 😀

Advance Wars - I have about 50% left of the second game and am hoping to wrap that up before TOTK.

If I have extra time, The Minish Cap for @Irene ‘s launch party but the jury is still out on if that time will appear.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 got me hooked so I'll playing that

Congratulations on the continuation of the monster line, friend! 🎉 📣

After clawing my way through Returnal earlier this week and ending the cycle (briefly), I leapt back gleefully into a three-heart run of Breath of the Wild, trying to conquer the Master Trials and DLC before Tears release.

iu

Congrats @Red Monster

Making some progress on Future Redeemed while I'm nursing a cold. So far, everything I wanted, excited to see where it goes. Hopefully I can get it done before Friday though.

I'm desperately trying to finish Star Wars: Fallen Order (yes ik I'm late!) and Cult of the Lamb, which may have to get tossed to the side lmao.

Also playing a little mlb the show before I drop it.

It's Mario platformer weekend for me! Mario Maker 2 and Mario Advance 4 on NSO. The former I'll probably be replaying my levels to see how they hold up and then some levels shared in the Mario Maker 2 thread. The latter I'm at world 5, levels are short but fun and I'm definitely enjoying it. It's slightly difficult though, I can beat Mario Maker 5% clear rate levels fairly easily, but I died so much to the dumb big fish in one of the water levels. Maybe this will be the first time I beat Super Mario Bros 3

Give it a few more years before the no games time hits. Much easier to get it in when they don’t have activities and stuff.

As for gaming: playing A Link Between Worlds for the Zelda badge and will partake in the Zelda splatfest in Splatoon 3 mostly.

No clue. Probably nothing minus Picross S9 during my commute on Sunday. Not a lot of free time this weekend.

Ordered an import copy of No More Heroes 1 + 2, so that. It has been ages since I last played these two cult classics. Looking forward to this revisit!

Many congrats for your baby!!!

For me, I will try to continue my BotW playthrough but honestly I will be have little time as well. I'm bummed since i wanted to finish it before TotK release.

A lot of older games. Currently Mega Man 8 and idk where I'll go from there.

Finished Umineko last weekend and it was loooooong, so now doing more gameplay oriented experiences on NSO's emulator apps and various legacy collections.

Going back and forth between Picross S8 and Theatrhythm: FBL. Easy games to pick up and play when I have a minute, but nothing that'll commit me narratively beyond the 12th.

(Also planning to beat Oracle of Ages again, but I haven't picked it up yet.)

Congratulations to the whole monster family!

As for the play time. It becomes more complicated for sure but not impossible at all. I have 4 kids and my play time varies greatly, with some lengthy phases during which I don't/can't play at all.
On the other hand the 2 big ones are now old enough to play themselves and look the Directs with me. The little ones are mario and zelda fans too.
On the whole I would say I've becomes the better gamer now, choosing what I play with more care and really savoring it.
And kids are soooo fantastic.

This weekend I will play Metroid prime remastered. It's my first playthrough and I love it

Finished all the big games in the last week, Advance Wars, Trinity Trigger (totally recommend it), Minecraft Legends and Tales of Symphonia (finally). Only smaller stuff remain. This weeks shadow drop Man of Medan, FNaF Security Breach, Megaman Battle Network (I'll only play 5th and 6th games) and Final Fantasy V (big pixels aren't doing me any favors) Aside from FF I expect to be done with all of that pretty soon. And this month doesn't have any other big releases and TotK looks like it'll get boring after playing hours straight. Maybe we'll get even more surprising shadow drops, who knows?

Aw, congratulations Elmo. May you be able to sleep some time in the near future.

I'm going to finish RE4make. I swear it! I can't let it linger until TOTK comes out or it will be months before I see it through.

i playing Metroid Prime Remastered, in fact i got the game for my aunt for my birthday on wedsday and i already near the end, i doing a 100% playtrought of the game(both for the scans and the itens), when i wait for my Tears of the Kingdom pshycal media to come

I have four maps left in the Advance Wars 2 campaign so I’m hoping to finish that tonight or tomorrow. I do plan to play all 30 War Room maps afterwards so I have plenty of Advance Wars ahead. Other than that I’m hoping to play more Golden Sun this weekend, I didn’t get to touch it this past week. These two games should get to me Zelda.

Congrats on the kiddo @Red Monster !

Weekend is looking mostly like making progress on Live A Live (I'm in the final chapter now) and putting in some time in the Splatoon 3 splatfest. Which, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not particularly feeling so I may bail early on the party and just get back to LAL. Squaresoft RPGs, especially the SNES crop, are cozy experiences for me and they're the gaming equivalent of soaking in nice long bath and then wrapping myself up in a warm blanket after with a cup of hot cocoa or tea.

They are "my jam" after Nintendo games. Always have, always will be. Maxis games are my third jam for those keeping score

Against my better judgement, I started Bayonetta 3. This is my first Bayonetta (never played 1 and 2) and I'm seeing a lot of Kamiya-Okami inspiration/history. Especially when it comes to how battles play out in a sealed arena. Outside of battles, it really feel like a platformer. So many speed-collection sequences.

Also, I'm definitely getting old. Playing on standard difficulty, I'm getting slammed. My version of Bayonetta is definitely not the powerful, empowering female figure given how much healing I have to do. I'm still limping across the finishing line but the temptation to just lower the difficulty level is there. Just so that I can get to the end before TOTK comes along.

So far, I'm still kinda enjoying the game? But it's definitely not THERE there for me. Knowing how many chapters there are, I'm just slightly over half of the game. I'll try to roll the credits at least but I don't think I'll be engaging with any of the post game content.

(or maybe ever again now that I’ve got two kids, we’ll see about that).

The solution I've used is to stay up late to play games and be very tired all the time, which I cannot recommend. But congratulations!

Last week I said I was playing 3DS games, but it's been bad for my hands and I might not want to continue. I did finish BYE-BYE BOXBOY though. I've been playing Hades and finished a handful of runs, but it's starting to get slightly repetitive despite the advancing story. Last night I just casually played some puzzle games I've already finished earlier (Baba Is You, A Monster's Expedition). Basically I'm just bouncing between games until Zelda comes.

Just finished Metroid Fusion for the first time in nso.
Fantastic game, but I do get why people complain about being too linear. Personally I didn't hate the linearity that much, but having Adam tells you exactly where to go feels kinda anti-metroid in nature. Also the encounters with SA-X don't feel that tense or scary as I thought they'd be based on what I was reading online. Sure it's an older game, so I would give it some slack. Also some bosses were not good at all. For example Nightmare was terrible boss, fuck that shit.
However even with some minor complaints the game is basically a masterpiece like most Metroid games.

Now having said all that and after finally completed all 2D Metroid games I will say this:

Metroid Dread is the best 2D Metroid game unless you're blinded by nostalgia.

This weekend is going to be completely different than usual. For realsies 😀

Ghost of Tsushima - Iki island
I'm on a rush to clear some PS4 backlog, and just yesterday i completed GoT's Iki island main story, but i ignored almost all the sidequests and, since i did them within the main game, i plan to tackle them on the DLC too.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe
TotK is coming and i want neither franchise nor genre fatigue, so i thought It would be a neat idea to replay Pikmin 3, and will be using the DX port for that, starting today.

Aside of that, i plan on testing my RX 6700 with several random games, and most likely Gran Turismo 7 will be the side dish because there's a new online time Trial and i'm THIS close to getting a silver medal (i just need to shave two seconds off my current récord. Yeah, not easy)

I'm starting today my two weeks holiday and travelling back home, so won't be having much time to play, but I will probably play a bit of Pokémon Black. Can't wait for next Friday, Zelda and holidays, the best combination.

Congrats on #2!

It worked pretty great for us, while there was some adjustments to be done in life it was mostly just minor compared to the first kid. I'm sure you will figure something out =) Embrace late nights!

Me, I'll be playing Octopath 2 - I am 3/8 final bosses done and I feel I am pretty well geared and leveled with my main characters so I think I will be done before TotK hits. Hopefully bringing 2 more bosses down this weekend at least.

Congratulations on the continuation of the monster line, friend! 🎉 📣

After clawing my way through Returnal earlier this week and ending the cycle (briefly), I leapt back gleefully into a three-heart run of Breath of the Wild, trying to conquer the Master Trials and DLC before Tears release.

iu

Hey! I love that gif. Where is it from?

After playing BOTW last summer for the first time, and then getting Skyward Sword HD for Christmas, I decided that I want to have played through all of the mainline 3D Zelda games for the first time before TOTK.

So far, I've played BOTW, SS HD, OoT 3D, TP HD, and WW HD. So now I'm working on getting through MM 3D by Friday. I have faith I can do it.

Crazy to think that this time last year I hadn't played through a Zelda game, and had only played around on my brother's OoT save files when I was a kid. In my defense, we only ever had an N64. We were one of the few households that never even got a Wii.

Congrats, @Red Monster ! Hope your family is doing well.

As for what I'm playing this weekend... probably nothing. Yeah, I'm serious, I haven't been in a serious "playing games" mood for a bit. Maybe I'll read a bit of a VN or replay a bit of Doom 64, but... fuck, nothing too invested.

Back
Top Bottom