• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |9/29-10/1|

Only really got to Separate Ways but that's OK, because Separate Ways is great. I will not rest until I get a good screenshot of Ada backlip-kicking somebody. Hopefully I'll be far enough along in Silent Hill or RE Village to have something to say about 'em next week!

I was able to get near the end of Asura this weekend. I’m sure I’ll wrap it up this week, and then I’m gonna do the DLC. The gameplay is nothing to write home about, but it’s pure entertainment. I’m loving it.

As for Gravity Rush, I only played one mission - I think it was mission 7? You had to help a student track down his girlfriend who ended up possessed by the weird red monster thing. It was a bit of a nothing mission, but at least I unlocked a new outfit for Kat. Now she doesn’t have to look ridiculous the whole time I’m playing!

And then in Ridge Racer, I was able to win all four races and unlocked the mirror mode. That actually rolls credits, so I could call it done now. But I think I want to keep playing and try and beat the mirror mode because the game is a lot of fun. I do wish it were easier to unlock cars though - you have to beat the Galaga game during the initial loading screen to unlock new cars, and that’s really hard!

Who has two thumbs and just finished his weekend? Everyone with two th-

Ok no, i'm being stupid, this joke only works with Pit and hot springs.

As predicted, i put the very short time i had for gaming into Pokémon Fire Red. Beating the Fuchsia gym was easy, but it also caught me off guard with how utterly unfocused it was. My memories failed me and i was ready to fight a poison gym with a poison resistant team, and what i found was that half of the lackeys could perfectly be Saffron gym rejects. Oh well, i still destroyed their hopes and dreams and then beat Koga. This is the team i was left with after defeating him:
  • GrimMantis the Scyther (lv. 32) - Less useful than i expected, but still a very fast glass cannon that didn't need super effective attacks to almost oneshot everything. Teached her Steel Wing for good measure.
  • BoneBoi the Marowak (lv. 36) - Scourge of the Grimer family and meanest sob at this side of the bike road. His bonemerang literally oblivierated anything poison that couldn't fly or levitate before the second hit. His picture now illustrates the word Terror in the dictionary
  • ElPreparao the Nidoking (lv. 33) - Added him to the team to bulldoze everything in his path, ended up using his horn to bully a bunch of Koffings. Was oneshotted by the first lackey we fought, who took out a lv. 38 Hypno and used Psychic on the poor thing.
  • Moonie the Clefable (lv. 36) - The star of the show, so much that i had to held him back so the others could have their minute of fame. Equipped with Return, Psychic and Shadow Ball, this little mofo here took out almost every Saffron gym reject all by himself.
  • Raflessio the ✨shiny✨ Gloom (lv. 33) - Like ElPreparao, Raflessio didn't do much, but at least i saved him the shame of being oneshotted by an enemy with the potential of oneshot him, however, he put to sleep anything in the gym that was ugly and poisonous, didn't earn much experience but screw me if he didn't basically save the day.
  • Ferryman the Lapras (lv. 34) - Where Raflessio was in danger of being oneshotted by a creepy tapir or its evolution, Ferryman was making everyone confused with Confuse Ray, he also tanked a lot of damage and oneshot Koga's strongest Wheezing with a critical Psychic. He now knows Surf, too, so he'll probably take Blasto's spot for the time being.
Did i do something after that? Oh yes, yesterday night i booted the game again and went to Safari Zone's zone two. Objective? Chansey, and i caught not one, but TWO of them... In four hours. Lots of them escaped my grasp, and thank god none was a shiny (i would have probably thrown my 3DS agaisnt the wall at that point)

Yes, you guessed it, i stayed up very late chasing Chanseys. Yes, i'm proud of it beause i caught TWO. Yes, i'm also sleepy af.

Next? I'm going north to the power plant, and i'm catching Zapdos and a rotation candidate for ChuPika. Not sure of what to do with EesiDeesi the Eevee now, instead of evolving him to Jolteon, i've been thinking on renaming him to AcerPremount and evolve him to Flareon. I want a fire pokémon to rotate with PiroDoggo

Retroactive post but I played:
  • Hades, still haven't managed to complete a full run.
  • Mario Advance 4 Super Mario Bros 3, doing the e-reader levels.
  • Some F-Zero 99 runs.

I'm at a point where I'm still mostly doing stuff I've done before, but depending on how today goes maybe I could get further, maybe even into Chapter 4. I got lost on where to go in Chapter 2, which took am embarrassing amount of time to fix!
...welp

Not only was yesterday busier than intended, BUT also I ended up not playing Yakuza at all. Instead I played more of Fire Emblem Engage. For some reason, that game seems better for when I've had a stressful day. Plus it still has that new game smell - I picked it up like a week and a half ago and have barely played it 😔

When I started the game, I think I had the same reaction as a lot of people. Even when I knew going into it what to expect, I was taken aback by just how ... bad a lot of elements seemed. I'm trying to think of a different word, because my opinion has changed, but I can't think of another one that accurately summarizes how I felt at the time. I wasn't so much shocked at how far removed it was from more recent FEs, but rather how blatant and unashamed it was in some aspects. Specifically, the voice acting, writing, and camera direction during character interactions was WAY WORSE than I was expecting. That visual novel camera cut they do where they zoom in on the main character's face and then pull out as they're talking blankly to the camera looked horrible. And while I knew what to expect from the character designs ... the redesigns of old characters (especially Marth) still looked bad. The game's opening is also ... yeah ...

With that being said, I've gotten used to it. The game being one of the better looking games on Switch helps, the gameplay is still classic FE, and the music is as great as ever. The music especially is worth mentioning, I saw someone saying in the FE thread that this game was worse than Three Houses in every single way including music, and I don't get that at all. Three Houses had very little memorable to me, whereas this is a return to Awakening/Fates excellent soundtracks.

I especially love this theme:

I've always loved these kind of relaxing background castle themes, which offer a sense of mystery as much as a sense of comfort, and this one is great. Reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles as well as Fire Emblem.

It's funny how this games flaws - it's cheesiness, it's stupid bullshit, it's writing - are both a negative whenever I'm forced to watch a cutscene, but also a positive after I've had a stressful long day and just want to relax.

Did a lot of Gaming! I finally beat Yakuza 5, leaving me only 6 before I'm fully caught up. Lackluster ending in my opinion, buuuut I did like the final songs so that counts for something!
Dipped a little into Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines cuz i may play in the tabletop with some pals. Plus i always keep it installed for a reason!
As per usual, though, LoL Wild Rift is a major part of my time expenses. At long last, my quest has taken me to Diamond 4, and even further today, to Diamond 3...But my hunt continues. I don't think I'm quite at the edge of my skill ceiling, no offense to my enemies, so I'm taking this as far as I can. If I'm still regularly getting rankings of "Better than 99.5% of Teemo Players in this Tier", I should be in a better tier.
Gotta make that into the reality though!
However, I have a hankering for something I haven't played in a while on the retroid...So, I think I may start up Ocarina of Time again since I haven't beaten it since I was like, 12? It's worth a fun romp through 3D Zeldas!...And make me less salty my Majora's Mask data got screwed up. I HAD 20 MASKS!

Back
Top Bottom