• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |8/18-8/20|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Happy weekend, pals! Welcome to yet another “whatcha playin’ this weekend” thread. You know the deal by now.

I haven’t really played anything in over a week, and there’s a strong chance I won’t get to play much this weekend either. But in the event that I do get some time, I’ll be playing the same two games I seem to always play - Final Fantasy XVI and Super Mario RPG. I’m on the road to the fourth crystal in XVI, and I’m almost at the fourth star in SMRPG. I really like both games! But eventually I’d like to play something else. 😅

I hope you folks have a great weekend!

... don't make me say it again.

Goddamn it.

Zelda.

Now entering Zora's Domain for my final regional quest.

I was CHOSEN to provide FREE LABOR for beta testing a homebrew GBC game. That’s supposed to start this weekend and was the only thing I had planned. I bought a whole Everdrive-GB X7 for it and everything.

If there’s a delay, I’ve been playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4). A friend and I may continue slogging through Resident Evil 6 (PS4).

Chrono Trigger (DS) is still on my list as I finished Saturday Edition (Playdate) last week.

BOMB RUSH CYBERFUNK!!!!

I also have Red Dead Redemption, Quake 2, Die After Sunset and The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood (surprisingly good deckbuilder) but Cyberfunk gets the priority, I've been waiting for it for years.

Also Trails into Reverie remains unfinished. Kinda tired of the setting and Mr. Schwarzer. Bring on the next generation of Trails games already!

Now that I'm done with both Zelda and Pikmin I can finally work on my backlog which means Xenoblade 3, Nier Replicant and a replay of Soul Reaver.

Looking to wrap up Tunic, then also playing Picross S and Vampire Survivors. Maye a bit of Mario Galaxy and I'm thinking of grabbing Marble it Up Ultra. I also have Everspace 2 sitting on my PS5 that I haven't started yet, just haven't had a good hour or two to sit down and play much this week. Will give it a go sometime tomorrow probably.

Lots of variety this weekend! Gonna be like that until Sea of Stars takes over on the 29th.

Still plucking away (pun intended) at Pikmin 4, intending to 100% every area (most of the way there), but my play through of Oracle of Seasons stalled so I'll attempt to pick that up this weekend. Also finally ready to do the second episode of Telltale's Expanse.

Quake II, Red Dead Redemption, and...finally Front Mission 1st: Remake, a game I received a copy of today.

Have a great weekend everyone!

After 6-7 hours I dropped off Lost Odyssey. It’s just hard for me to put adequate time in on the TV, especially in the summer. In its stead I have…begun my fourth playthrough of Dragon Quest XI (my third of the S version). I’m bad at being definitive but, maybe this is my favourite game. I don’t know if I’ll ever get bored of it. Personally, I blame @ITSMILNER for the many hours of extremely good times to come. They mentioned the name of the game last week, and apparently that’s all it takes!

DD2XglN.gif

Also Quake II. Finished the original campaign over the week, which was a near-uniformly great time. Little too much platforming in that second half lol. But easily forgiven when the grip & rip factor is so high otherwise. Now it’s onto Machine Games’ brand-new episode! Gonna try the online this weekend too, that’s what I remember from growing up…though I’m not sure it’ll be the same without the Homer Simpson skins and 400+ ping.

SquareSoft is taking over for the '99 and the 2000 this weekend. I'll be playing Chrono Cross and The Bouncer.

After 6-7 hours I dropped off Lost Odyssey. It’s just hard for me to put adequate time in on the TV, especially in the summer. In its stead I have…begun my fourth playthrough of Dragon Quest XI (my third of the S version). I’m bad at being definitive but, maybe this is my favourite game. I don’t know if I’ll ever get bored of it. Personally, I blame @ITSMILNER for the many hours of extremely good times to come. They mentioned the name of the game last week, and apparently that’s all it takes!

DD2XglN.gif

Also Quake II. Finished the original campaign over the week, which was a near-uniformly great time. Little too much platforming in that second half lol. But easily forgiven when the grip & rip factor is so high otherwise. Now it’s onto Machine Games’ brand-new episode! Gonna try the online this weekend too, that’s what I remember from growing up…though I’m not sure it’ll be the same without the Homer Simpson skins and 400+ ping.

I have indeed started Dragon Quest 11s and I think you have made a wise choice, I really like what I have played so far. I’m not massively far in (about 5 hours or so) but the game looks fantastic on the Switch OLED screen, so colourful and vibrant. The battle system feels old school but I like it, feels a bit more calmly paced like that which is what I was hoping for. I’m looking forward to those many hours of extremely good times to come!

Other than that, I’ll be playing Vampire Survivors and Olli Olli World as and when I get free time. Me and my partner move into our new house this weekend so not quite sure how much gaming time I can cram in haha.

I really do think it's the finest JRPG ever made and one of my top 5 favorite games too. I need to get back to my second playthrough one of these days, I think I was up around the town with the living painting when I got pulled away from it.

I, too, hardly find time to sit in front of the TV and play something. If it wasn't for Switch I'd barely be a gamer anymore.

The Bouncer
👀 Say hey to DURAGON C MIKADO for me.

I have indeed started Dragon Quest 11s and I think you have made a wise choice, I really like what I have played so far. I’m not massively far in (about 5 hours or so) but the game looks fantastic on the Switch OLED screen, so colourful and vibrant. The battle system feels old school but I like it, feels a bit more calmly paced like that which is what I was hoping for. I’m looking forward to those many hours of extremely good times to come!
I’m so glad to hear you’re enjoying it so far! There is totally a laid back quality to the game that I can’t get enough of. Yuji Horii is a master craftsman! He knows he has 80 hours to build up layer upon layer of story, mechanics, interesting little revelations…I think I need to break to play a few minutes now 😄

Playing Pokémon Scarlet. I picked the game up at launch and pretty much fell off it immediately. Deleted my save file and started over this week after not touching it since November, and I'm now finding it to be quite the enjoyable experience, technical issues aside. I'm only a third of the way through the main story right now, but I can safely say that this might just be my favourite mainline Pokémon title next to Legends Arceus and Black & White (the rest of my Top 5 is rounded out by Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and Gold and Silver). Iono is probably my favourite character so far -- I was super into Virtual Youtubers last year, what can I say? -- but am I curious to see where Arven and Penny's characters are going. (And if Ash was still the protagonist of the anime, he and Nemona would be instant BFFs.)

pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-pokemon.gif

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne, great game so far. I am at the point where you return to Yoyogi Park through Asakusa Tunnel. I am trying to grind macca though to purchase the expensive magatamas available from the manikin junk collector.

It is BOMB RUSH CYBERFUNK release weekend!!!!!!!! Switch version is great so far.

...but I think I'll still be playing FF16 late tonight.

Finished Metroid Dread so now I can focus full time on Final Fantasy X. Left off a couple of days ago at the Thunder Plains.

Gonna continue with Oracle of Ages now, it's really fresh because that's the one I never played, and with the linked game I find cool some of the interactions

Quake II Remastered, Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe, and a slew of NSO/arcade games. Whatever I'm in the mood for.

Going to try more FF16, but my Path of Exile friend is dragging me into the new season that launches today. So probably mostly that, new season time is always fun.

Going to try more FF16, but my Path of Exile friend is dragging me into the new season that launches today. So probably mostly that, new season time is always fun.
As a big Diablo guy I’m surprised I haven’t really tried Path of Exile over the years 😬 Same with Grim Dawn!

If I were to get started on PoE, what’s the best way to spend money there?

Today is the start of my 9 day vacation so I am not sure what I'll get to this weekend but my short list of my backlog is

Oracle of Seasons
Quake 2
Pokémon TCG GB. trying to get the last three cards
Vampire Survivors
Ghost Trick
Finish my second play through of Pikmin 4.

I'll probably throw more in as well but IDK. I do plan to do other things besides gaming.

I just love how Dragon Quest XI looks. Other games are pushing more technically complex stuff on Switch of course, but I think it's my favourite looking game on the platform. Everything just feels so cozy. I want to live in Erdrea...well, except for the all the horrible calamity stuff.

If nothing else it's my most screenshotted game; I'm 4 hours in and have taken over 100 screenshots lol, I'm positive I've taken over 1000 in total

KO87HLP.jpg

ytysOhh.jpg

2h368Eg.jpg

wyfG8Cu.jpg

p5KcYUJ.jpg

ITeRhUq.jpg

Been playing lots of Rain Code today, really enjoying it.
Got Dead Space Remake loaded up on my PS5, so will be playing that too.
Also been in the mood for an old school shooter so will be playing Quake II Remaster.

Hopefully I can free up some of my schedule for Pikmin 4, which I have been enjoying a lot. HoloCure has also been insanely addicting especially with its new side mode.

Was planning to start Baldur’s Gate 3 but I might wait for Larian to iron out some of the bugs I’ve been hearing about first.

I’m definitely finally fully finishing Trails Into Reverie this weekend after 120+ hours so far. One good session and I should finish the back half of the final stratum of the True Reverie Corridor. I basically did everything but the last of the Trial Doors since you’d have to level and equip everyone involved and eh I’m good. Afterwards it’s finally for real Pikmin 4 time!

I have plans on Saturday for a friend’s birthday party, but my Sunday ones got canceled due to a once in 80 years hurricane / tropical storm for Southern California 🙃

As a big Diablo guy I’m surprised I haven’t really tried Path of Exile over the years 😬 Same with Grim Dawn!

If I were to get started on PoE, what’s the best way to spend money there?
PoE has an absolutely ginormous learning curve these days since it's been out for 10+ years and so many expansions, so I'd recommend checking out some "beginner/new to PoE" youtube videos or something if you want to jump in. And also while it can be fun to tool around, you probably want to pick a build guide to follow your first time through given how complicated the skill tree and everything is. It'll probably take a while to get comfortable with it all, but it's very rewarding and fun once you do! I like it more than Diablo honestly at this point.

As for money, you don't need to spend much of any! The only main things I would recommend buying in the shop would be a few of the stash tabs, most especially the Currency tab. Other things are more up to you, but you probably can just start the game without worrying about spending any money at all and then if you're getting into it, maybe toss $10 at it or something for some stash tabs.

This weekend it's some more FFXIV for me, plus Red Dead Redemption. Probably gonna put more time into Oracle of Seasons too.

I'm in my visual novel era, currently juggling Danganronpa and 999 (will definitely wrap up Danganronpa this weekend, might be able to finish 999 too). It's interesting to me how while they're definitely not the same by any means, there's a number of common elements that I can't help noticing kind of "rhyme", if that makes sense. Which makes for a neat coincidence, since they were made by Spike and Chunsoft respectively before the two merged.

Also picked up Vampire Survivors though, and that makes for a nice change of pace. It's "all game, no story", which is good for when I need a break from "all story, not so much game".

Just beat TOTK so now have to figure out what to play next. Will certainly do some SMB games for the event. Probably Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart since I have that downloaded. Lots of PS games to get too now that I’m through the massive game that is Zelda.

My second playthrough of Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical! Really loved my first playthrough and it's fun seeing what other choices can lead to.

It's been a crazy week, fami. This weekend i don't want to play anything exciting, just comfort food games. This is what i have in mind.

Pokémon FRLG
Sweet sweet Kanto. These are the comfiest mainline GBA games for me, and since i have no GBA, no GC and no FR cart anymore, i installed the unofficial AGB firm on my 3DS and proceeded to put my previously dumped rom on there. I'll be starting from scratch.

Euro Truck Simulator 2
Yep, again. I plan on picking the slowest deliveries and just drive at my own leisure. Maybe i'll make enough money to get another truck+driver, gotta make those earnings grow. Capitalism ho!

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
I keep waiting and waiting for my TRUE farming comfort food (HM64) to release on Switch but it just doesn't, so i'll settle with this instead. I thought on Stardew Valley, but that game has so much to do at once it ends up stressing me instead.

Forza Horizon 5
Don't @ me
But you said you were burnt out! And how the hell is an arcade racing game relaxing!?
It's Italian car season and there are Ferraris and Alfa Romeos i said don't @ me!

I need a new Endless Ocean :(

It's been a crazy week, fami. This weekend i don't want to play anything exciting, just comfort food games. This is what i have in mind....

Euro Truck Simulator 2
Yep, again. I plan on picking the slowest deliveries and just drive at my own leisure. Maybe i'll make enough money to get another truck+driver, gotta make those earnings grow.
Ah the german way of relaxing

PoE has an absolutely ginormous learning curve these days since it's been out for 10+ years and so many expansions, so I'd recommend checking out some "beginner/new to PoE" youtube videos or something if you want to jump in. And also while it can be fun to tool around, you probably want to pick a build guide to follow your first time through given how complicated the skill tree and everything is. It'll probably take a while to get comfortable with it all, but it's very rewarding and fun once you do! I like it more than Diablo honestly at this point.

As for money, you don't need to spend much of any! The only main things I would recommend buying in the shop would be a few of the stash tabs, most especially the Currency tab. Other things are more up to you, but you probably can just start the game without worrying about spending any money at all and then if you're getting into it, maybe toss $10 at it or something for some stash tabs.
That’s pretty wild you can truly start out free. Buying some more space seems quite reasonable. I think maybe I’ll try it out whenever I finish out Diablo IV’s season; it definitely seems like I’ll want to concentrate on it alone!

Had some TV time this morning and decided to play some Mirror’s Edge. Wow. One more shoutout to @Irene, who mentioned it in the X360 store thread. On Chapter 2 now. What a true original. It’s got FPS boost too! Playing this at 60FPS is beauty. Between this and 13 Sentinels, I think she has my video game power of attorney

On vacation this week, so in addition to trying to enjoy the end of this short Canadian summer, going to wrap up the main quest in Tears of the Kingdom before Armored Core VI drops next week. 92 Shrines in and bulldozing anything I come across at this point (Lynels getting farmed), just have to pull myself away from exploration to finish the last regional phenomenon quest and whatever comes after it.

I just beaten Batman Arkham origins on my steam deck, my first beaten steam deck game between my two main health issues this past year today.

I plan to continue my oblivion replay next on my series x

I'm making more progress through the Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event. I was supposed to get to Yoshi's Island, but I love Super Mario World so much that I'm playing Super Mario Advance 2 - my first time playing through it as Luigi too! I might try to fit in some Pikmin 4 if I can, but I'm balancing the Mario event, preparing for work restarting in September, and binging some nostalgic TV with my partner.

I still try to put in an hour or so into Xenoblade Chronicles 3 every night. Still in Chapter 5.
But work crunch. Man. Crunch.

Fourteen weeks of Tears of the Kingdom- finally releasing a certain northeast area from corruption!

Work has really taken away my game time this year, it's not a balance I enjoy the most. 😂

Playing lots of Bomb Rush Cyberfunk mostly. It's a great deal of fun, love exploring the various colorful boroughs, finding hidden graffiti points, collectibles, etc., and enjoying the story too. Tight controls, far less frustrating than Jet Grind Radio, and runs rather well on the Switch too.

Wanting to play more Pikmin 4. Got to the fourth major area and have lots to do there.
Also, wanting to finish the Quake II trophies on PS5.

Had some TV time this morning and decided to play some Mirror’s Edge. Wow. One more shoutout to @Irene, who mentioned it in the X360 store thread. On Chapter 2 now. What a true original. It’s got FPS boost too! Playing this at 60FPS is beauty. Between this and 13 Sentinels, I think she has my video game power of attorney
Mirror’s Edge is absolutely fantastic. It was my GotY back in 2008.

would you believe it, I actually played some games today! I managed to get the fifth star in SMRPG, and I was able to fire up FFXVI for the first time in a week and a half. Shocking, I know!

Sliding in at the tail end of Sunday with a very spirited "I've been playing more wild rift as per usual", but also spicing it up with "But also Baldurs Gate 3 and some Deep Rock Galactic"
I'm also treating the beginning of deus ex as a roguelite type of affair on hard and not going Stealth, relying only on Dentons pistol, gep gun, and whatever else I can forage off the intro of liberty Island.
It's fun, even if I'm still on freakin' liberty island.

I finished AA Miles Edgeworth Investigations during the week, which i liked but is one of the weakest AA games i think.

I started the second game even if i hate not playing on the original hardware, i don't have much of a choice for this game unfortunately.

It's a very solid game ; After 3 cases, none have been mediocre (2nd one was a tad too long but that's fine), so far it's no wonder it's considered one the best entry in the series.

Back
Top Bottom