• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |4/26-4/28|

I cleared World 6 and saved Peach in Super Mario Run and I think that’s probably enough for me. Movement feels good, but not good enough to keep playing and do all the grinding the game seems to want me to do.

This week I wrapped up my Final Fight runs. I swear that game is mostly balanced around Haggar rather than the other two. I started up King of Dragons and I'm hoping to finish a Cleric run tonight. But I'm not really feeling like doing more runs with the other characters so I think it's time to switch to something else.

So I think the rest of the weekend is going to be playing some of the demos I've accumulated on my Switch or PC instead. Probably starting with Princess Peach Showtime.

I just got a green check block on Morton's Compactor Castle in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe ..... be honest, how bad am I fami?

Finished a second playthrough of Unicorn Overlord, caught up on most of the NSO games besides Golden Sun, played the Pokémon Violet shiny event and caught 3 shiny Pokémon, and got about 60 stars in another playthrough of Super Mario 64.

I fought the big snake in Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown and thought it was much easier than the previous boss but still inventive. Explored the sand pit thoroughly so I'm ready to move on and find some new goodies with my latest ability. Also played a little Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine yesterday to pass the time and did both rounds of  Connections this weekend.

Thinking I should bring another game out of my Pile into rotation, but who knows. Plenty of old RPGs and 3D Mario on the agenda this year. If I do Super Mario Galaxy, I'll have done three of six 3D Mario titles on Switch, so I might start that.

Still going on with Rise of the Ronin. I thought I was close to the end considering who I had to fight but no, there is still more going on.

Also gotta give credit to team ninja to create some incredible fights here. For most of the part the game is pretty much historically acurate and while there are things that aren't possible (like how the glider works, having a pretty much a moder instant camera and your twin having a mechanical arm) it doesn't get in the way of the historical events, BUT THEN you have to fight Ernest Satow who is using fucking rocket boots and flying around trying to kill Tokugawa and the game pretty much goes:

e95IBU9.jpeg

I played a lot this weekend, or at least it felt like it. The only problem is, none of the games I played were Rebirth 😭 It’s hard to boot that one up lately. I donno why.

Anyway. I started and finished the fourth level of The Cosmic Shake, and I continue to be impressed by this game. Everything about it is fun and engaging. So far, this game is better than BfBB by a long shot.

Next, I started and then finished the main Tour mode of Super Mario Run. Good fun, and I’m glad I got around to experiencing it, but it’s not something I’m gonna stick around for. It looks like there’s a lot of grinding, and that doesn’t interest me.

I then moved on to an Apple Arcade game called Inks. It’s a pinball puzzle game where the goal is to strike colored segments of the table, which then explode in a dazzling display of colors. Each table becomes its own little piece of art. Really good stuff.

I started and finished a SFC game that never made it to North America, The Firemen. It’s kinda like a top-down shooter mixed with an adventure game, only you shoot water at the flames instead of shooting guns at baddies. It was pretty good! But I did have to resort to a bit of save scumming to get past the final boss.

And then finally, I booted up my Series S for the first time in a while to play some Forza Horizon 5 with my kiddo. It’s been a while since I’ve played FH5, and it’s still fun, but have the load times gotten ridiculous, or have they always been this long? The loading screens were getting out of control and it was killing the vibe, so we switched to Burnout Revenge. Snappy, visceral, and practically no loading screens at all. The kiddo was transfixed the whole time, too. Something about cars crashing over and over is very appealing to a three-year old!

I’ll get back to Rebirth soon, I promise 😭

The biggest benefit of playing Switch near exclusively for 6-7 years is that everything on PS5 blows me away from a visual perspective.

So, The Last of Us Part II? Gorgeous. Truly wild to see what Naughty Dog could pull off on the PS4. I cannot wait to see what they do with the PS5, though I probably need to wait awhile...

Anyways, I got to that scene! You know the one. It was very well executed (no pun intended) and it's a shame that a bunch of dorks have turned it into a rallying cry for their corncobbery (TM @big lantern ghost ).

I shelved Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth after about twenty hours, and am now flying into free with Dragon's Dogma 2, which I find a vastly more enjoyable experience. They're both action-RPGs with open-world questing, one released within weeks of the other, but in feel they are so very different. FF7 Rebirth is so polished and smooth that I'm entirely disengaged while DD2 is rough and has me constantly evaluating risks and trade-offs and actually experiencing surprise.

Last edited:
My weekend report - big success! Nearly done with Expert in Love Live School Idol Festival 2. Should have that done by Tuesday and then I’m going all in on Master difficulty. I beat Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, which I had a great deal of fun with, and shared my thoughts on it in the RPGs ST.

I also finished Donkey Kong Land which I had an hour or so left of. Super weird game and occasionally frustrating due to the small screen size, but certainly interesting. There was one level where you gather the KONG letters repeatedly and use them to make platforming bridges which was definitely unique and then odd quirks like barrels regularly exploding for example. Interested in trying out the other two down the road in between tackling my 3DS RPG backlog.

Walking into this week then with a largely empty slate which is exciting. I’ll figure out what I’m playing next tomorrow.

Got Super Mario Sunshine started and have collected 12 shines so far, really enjoying it more than the last couple of times I have tried loading it up. Played a ton Vampire Survivors as well with my partner, we also finished a play through of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime which I recommend for anyone looking for Coop games to play.

Time went too quick tho, Is it next weekend yet????

Donnie checking in! I'm jugging a few things actually and having a pretty good time with all of them:

Chained Echoes - Why did it take me so long to get to this? I think this one has been played by most of you all, but it's an indie rpg fashioned in the vein of the snes era, but what I like is that it isn't just a clone, it's quite thoughtful in how it tries to change up the traditional game play systems or add it's own unique spin, you see it in the turn based battles, the levelling system, it's vaguely what you know but doing it's own thing too and makes the experience more engaging for it. Between the political machinations and the ancient civs and tech lost to time type fantasy setting, I get quite strong FFXII vibes while playing too which is never a bad thing.

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin - this is a boomer shooter that was in early access on PC for a long time, I think 5ish years? It's built using a modified version of the quake engine, the world is very moody and lovecraft tinged, you have non standard weapons like a stake gun and an ooze launcher, it's one of those. Really enjoying it, the controls are a touch loose/don't feel ultra well optimised for controller which is something that kind of comes with the territory with indies shooters like this unfortunatey but nothing that's stopping me playing and having a good time. My favourite part is how well it really nails it's level design and tons of obscure secrets stuffed in and around every corner

Berserk Boy - oh this is wonderful, it's somewhere in between mega man and gunvolt with a touch of sonic to how the levels are designed to allow you to fly through them and chain through enemies on your way. Great visuals, a really really good soundtrack, yep don't have much more to say about this other than it's excellent

Finally, I'm waiting to clear out one or two of the above before I dive in properly but I also grabbed Megaton Musashi, the new Level 5 mech game. I don't really need more full price games rn honestly but I felt bad, they seem to have just dumped it out there with no advertising and most of the discourse I've spotted around the net is how unaware folks were it was coming out (I had no idea it was out until I spotted it on the store lol). I'm really pulling for Level 5 even though they can never really seem to get it together so fingers crossed lol looking forward to play it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom