• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |4/26-4/28|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
It’s Friday! Welcome to Famiboards’ weekly weekend thread. It’s our place to talk about the games we’ve been playing, our weekend plans, whatever. We all know how it works. Let’s go!

——————

I’ve been in a pretty big gaming slump lately. I’ve been finding it hard to get the motivation to turn on a game and play it. I’m gonna try and fix that this weekend. I’m gonna hop back into Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, I’m gonna play more SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake, and thanks to the recent thread here, I’m gonna jump into Super Mario Run. SMR is one of the very few Mario games that I’ve never finished, even though I remember enjoying it back when it came out.

Aside from games, my weekend will be spent getting ready for my youngest boy’s first birthday party next weekend. I can’t believe he’s turning one already. They grow up so fast. 😭

——————

That’s all from me! I can’t wait to see what everyone’s gonna be playing this weekend. Stay safe and have fun everyone!

Weekend finally arrives again!

Gaming wise, i'm currently playing through Enslaved: Odyssey to the West on Steam Deck at the moment, I remember playing this back on the X360 and it was close to being my GOTY the year it came out. Still holds up, perfect Deck game as well. Tempted to also start up Super Mario Sunshine on Switch, i've never completed it, I have started it a few times but always fall off. Now we are getting to the summer it feels like a good time to try again.

Life wise, not much, going to visit family tomorrow, think a trip to Pizza Hut is on the cards so that'll be cool, I love pizza!

Enjoy your weekend Fami.

I picked up Fallout 4 and the DLC for New Vegas on Steam when they were on sale, so I think now that the new patch is out for Fallout 4, I'm planning to start that. And if I end up hating it for some reason, might pivot to New Vegas instead

On Switch, probably more Freedom Planet 2

Outside the usual Splatoon 3 (now that I've gotten a taste for being Top #3000, I need more), a bunch of Picross -Logiart Grimoire-. Maybe a bit of SteamWorld Heist as well.

I’m gonna boot up Curse Crackers: For Whom the Belle Toils (Switch). Also, I’ll most likely play some The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) to knock out some of the Hyrule Historia and Korok Seeds.

Axiom Verge 2 (Switch) is on sale on the eShop, and I’m very tempted. If I that happens, I’m definitely playing it.

I haven’t played PS Vita in a while so I may boot up a racing game.

Picked up a Playstation 5 to play Armored Core VI. 😂 So that's what I'm jumping into for the first time this weekend, it's been a long time since I had a fresh Armored Core game to play on a fresh Sony console!

giphy.gif

I picked up Fallout 4 and the DLC for New Vegas on Steam when they were on sale, so I think now that the new patch is out for Fallout 4, I'm planning to start that. And if I end up hating it for some reason, might pivot to New Vegas instead
I know it's old, I know it's not a looker, I know it's clunky in some aspects- but New Vegas is perhaps one of the best written and reactive and fun CRPGs ever created, and running around in the Wasteland outside of Vegas and discovering its secrets is top tier gaming- as good as Fallout gets, ever, imho. I suggest a healthy mod list to make certain RPG elements shine ultra bright, but at the least, check out Josh Sawyer's unofficial patch that restores some underlying design choices to the game. I've beat it three different ways, each time very rewarding, very wild play styles, like D&D before I knew what D&D played like.

tumblr_ngmjfq4PQ01riwt83o1_540.gif

I personally believe Bethesda has little-to-no understanding of Fallout outside of "shiny gun go boom boom at bad bads, assume your assigned role of fantasy hero today".

I love pizza!
Pizza is ❤️

Last edited:
I finished Control this week so I'm going to continue Death Stranding and maybe play more of the Control AWE DLC.

I'm planning to try and beat Death Stranding and Prey 2017 next .... though the urge to start new games is getting strong. Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring, Fallouts .... But I'm also pretty excited to play Thousand Year Door for the first time! So gotta start choosing what I play before that comes out carefully.

I know it's old, I know it's not a looker, I know it's clunky in some aspects- but New Vegas is perhaps one of the written and reactive and fun CRPGs ever created, and running around in the Wasteland outside of Vegas and discovering its secrets is top tier gaming- as good as Fallout gets, ever, imho. I suggest a healthy mod list to make certain RPG elements shine ultra bright, but at the least, check out Josh Sawyer's unofficial patch that restores some underlying design choices to the game. I've beat it three different ways, each time very rewarding, very wild play styles, like D&D before I knew what D&D played like.
oh yeah, New Vegas totally rules. Guess I should have maybe clarified that if I pivot to New Vegas, it'll be to replay it now that I've got the DLC, but I played the heck out of the base game already a few years ago

I'm curious to see what the Bethesda entries in the series are like since I haven't played 3, 4, or 76, but I've had a fresh New Vegas playthrough in the back of my mind as a plan B just in case 4 is even more mid than I've heard it is

Replays of Fallout New Vegas (Series S) and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Switch).

Probably also some Warframe (PS5) to see if I can finish off the current Prime Resurgence Warframes (Inaros and Ash).

I've had my eye on Sand Land and Stellar Blade for awhile now, and they both released today. I was expecting to play Sand Land first, but after checking out the reviews for both games, it seems there's a bit more positive buzz for Stellar Blade. So, I'm gonna try out that game first. Not really sure what to expect other than a combat heavy game that I've seen lots of people compare to Nier: Automata.

Happy gaming and enjoy your weekend, everybody!

oh yeah, New Vegas totally rules. Guess I should have maybe clarified that if I pivot to New Vegas, it'll be to replay it now that I've got the DLC, but I played the heck out of the base game already a few years ago

I'm curious to see what the Bethesda entries in the series are like since I haven't played 3, 4, or 76, but I've had a fresh New Vegas playthrough in the back of my mind as a plan B just in case 4 is even more mid than I've heard it is
Gotcha- oh boy does OLD WAR BLUES absolutely fucking rule. 😂 The Big MT is perhaps my favorite area in all of New Vegas, I wonder what you'll think exploring the DLC ruins- I loved them all except Dead Money, and that's okay, not everything can be 10/10 sauce. And that's not even to say Dead Money is bad, it's just different, and a bit more restrictive depending on your character build.

I see a lot of people playing F4 right now, it just wasn't my cup of tea at all despite being visually pretty.

Replays of Fallout New Vegas
You're the Tops!

Yes. Yes! Game absolutely rips, looking forward to your thoughts on it!
giphy.gif

seems there's a bit more positive buzz for Stellar Blade. So, I'm gonna try out that game first.
This game was completely off my radar until I saw some combat, and now I'm actually totally intrigued? The combat looks amazing? I'm interested to see if it's worth picking up, it certainly looks "interesting".

Wrapping up FFIX then digging into Megaton Musashi Wired!

Also gotta choose my next switch rpg, leaning hack gu or Saga Frontier

gonna play some Death Stranding
gonna play some The World Ends With You
gonna breathe in some crisp spring air

I am about to enter what is almost definitely the final dungeon of Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster. Afterwards, I would start a narrative-heavy one either Danganronpa v3 or Life is Strange True Colors.

I haven't played anything last weekend, and I've been surprisingly busy as well, so my plans to play some more Edge of Eternity have been delayed. Dropped into the game for a spell just now though and I'm moving forward with the plot.

Past that, I'll continue with The Fairy's Song in the evenings and if I can finally get to clearing away all the stuff from my living room table and sofa, go back to Bayonetta 3 after a multi-month break.

Finally been playing through Earthbound for the first time and absolutely loving it (I've tried to get into it multiple times since 2022 and wasn't in the right mood). Such a timeless and charming game, hoping to finish it this weekend.

EDIT: Finished, what a masterpiece.

Last edited:
I'm still on Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, though I've made some progress this week and at the 11 hour mark I'm ready to enter the Pit of Sand, apparently.

Also will continue playing Connections (NYT). Not sure if there'll be anything else. Fallen off gaming a little lately so progress through my 2024 pile has slowed.

Stitch on Switch and Ys: The Oath in Felghana on Steam Deck. Probably a bit of P3 Reload on PS5 as well, though I'm starting to get a bit burned out on it -- second half the repetition is starting to set in...

I'm playing FF7 Rebirth, but the open world activities are a major turn off. I'm going to try sticking to just the core story, despite being underleveled/underequipped and see how it goes.

If that doesn't pan out, I'll start Dragon's Dogma 2.

Plugging away at my first route in Triangle Strategy between shifts. What a great suggestion this one turned out to be. Glad I gave it another chance.

Might take a break tonight and switch it up. I have this itch to play Zelda II up to the second palace and quit out of rage for the umpteenth time. Seriously, fuck that room with two anti fairies and two darknuts. I have never gotten past that palace in 20+ years of trying. Tonight might be the one!

This time Final Fantasy X again for real. For the first time in weeks I have literally nothing planned. It will happen for sure as I type this.

I hate to say it .... but I think Prey 2017 has got to have one of the worst combat systems I've seen in a game. Ever.
Everything is so bullet spongy. I think it's because with the Gloo Cannon in the game they couldn't make it so that enemies instantly freeze, but also if enemies had too little health players just wouldn't use the Gloo Cannon so they had to balance that out with enemies having a lot of health.

And it sucks, a lot of enemies in the game require very specific things for you to kill them easily, and if you don't you're fucked. And even when I say easily, I'm exaggerating because they will still take tons of hits. At the same time the game compensates for this by giving you tons of resources ... so in areas where you are facing off against less dangerous enemies, there is no threat at all. There's times where the game is a cake walk and times where it's stressful and no in-between. And what sucks about it is that it's not even a difficulty thing, so much as the game training you to play one way where every encounter is either perfectly planned out or involves you constantly pausing to use up resources. For players that don't like constant save scumming or opening the menu in combat, the pacing is fucked. Getting hit in this game also sucks because either the feedback feels terrible (normal hits) or it feels terrible and actively stops you from playing (electricity) and a lot of times you'll even get hit by an enemy you didn't even know was there.

I love survival horror games which are infamous for this kind of shit but this is just bad. A 5 minute quest to receive a Kitchen worker's award ended up taking way more time just because of how clunky the game is. It sucks because I like the RPG esque decision based gameplay but the combat just takes it too far, everything is unnatural and verbose.

Picked up a Playstation 5 to play Armored Core VI
Hell yes! Enjoy the metal carnage!

Yes. Yes! Game absolutely rips, looking forward to your thoughts on it!
Nice, I knew you would pounce on that lol

gonna play some The World Ends With You
More good taste showing up in this thread

Anyway, I'm finishing up Mario Tennis on GBC NSO today, after I'm done with my responsibilities. Then planning to start Metroid Fusion after that!

The thing that really impressed me about Prey was the finite amount of resources and being able to deconstruct / rebuild out of that limited pool. It didn't matter until the end, and sorta more so for like a handful of annoying areas with too many phantoms, but conceptually it fit nicely with the idea of being stranded on a space station. The combat definitely wasn't great though.

Think I leaned towards avoiding as much combat as possible and resorted to the wrench more often than anything when escape was off the table, or my coffee cup disguise was blown.

I have a fully free weekend and more free time for the near future at least, so I’m going to play a ton of games this weekend! Still chipping away at Love Live School Idol Festival 2 where I nearly have every song completed on Expert. Just the Nijigasaki and Other categories left.

My big game walking into the weekend is Mario and Luigi Paper Jam which I decided to pick up my playthrough of earlier this week. I just reached Bowser’s Castle so I’m getting close to the end (it’s not the final dungeon) and I’m having a good time! The big shakeups to combat, Paper Mario and the battle cards, plus the changes to traversal have made this one feel fresh and more enjoyable to play even with the story and world becoming more generic. I’m pretty sure I’ll be beating Paper Jam this weekend, so since I have my 3DS out I think I’ll try to beat Donkey Kong Land too.

I was struggling to beat the final boss in Link Between Worlds, so I recently pivoted to some shorter indie games. This weekend, I will continue with Cocoon, which has been a pretty chill, stress-free puzzle adventure. I've enjoyed it so far!

I have tons to play and can't pick one, they all look tasty!
Megaton Musashi Wired
SaGa Emerald Beyond
Eiyuden Chronicle
Demon Slayer Sweep the Board
Aeon Wrath of Ruin
Another Crab's Treasure

Also I'm super hooked on Battlefront Collection on Switch. Just hit 40 hours played and I don't seem to be stopping anytime soon. But from above, I'll probably deal with SaGa first as all other games likely to receive performance patch. Even Demon Slayer Party.

I think I may take a quick break from Rebirth after the incredible journey that was Chapter 8. I found a copy of TLOU Part II for PS4, in defiance of Sony's removal of it from shelves to sell their remaster. I may start that!

Also, enjoy the party! It feels like just yesterday my little guy turned one. Now he's getting ready to go to Junior Kindergarten...

Fighting through the playoffs in yet another season in, you guessed it, Super Mega Baseball 3. Plus I'll throw in a splash of Splatoon 3 here and there in my quest to complete the current catalogue and get 1,200 wins with the Triple Inkstrike.

My big focus this weekend is Bayonetta Origins. I should finish it this weekend.

I also have Hellblade, but I've been lazy with it.

Still Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. There's so much character moments here. Bernadette and Marianne's awkward silence blossoming into friendship was beautiful. Everyone from Ignatz, Petra and my dear himbo, Raphael trying to convince my F.Shez to join them on their ventures post-war. Lovely. I am eating good. I think I'm at least 2/3rd into the Black Eagle route and should probably finish a chapter or two more this weekend.

In a moment of financial weakness, I also purchased the Lego sets with Donkey Kong and Bowser. So I might spend some time putting those together. The Smash roster in toy brick format is coming together!

This game was completely off my radar until I saw some combat, and now I'm actually totally intrigued? The combat looks amazing? I'm interested to see if it's worth picking up, it certainly looks "interesting".

Yep, the combat in this game sure is good! I'm pretty early in the game so far, but I'm enjoying it. If you like super over the top action-y combat, it's definitely worth checking out at some point.

Stellar Blade for the most part.

I also feel like I can offer some impressions because I'm kind of mixed on it. On one hand, it's terrific across some areas. The OST is fantastic. The fighting is really good, and mixes the best of the best across all of gaming. (Sekiro, GoW, Souls, Bayonetta etc.) The sidequests are surprisingly endearing. But the female characters are sexualized to an egregious degree, Eve herself is an awful protagonist both in design and personality and there's padding in the form of "this door is locked, we need 3 access keys, oh no this access key needs an activation switch" etc. Also, I'm like 5-6 hours in and it feels like the story is going nowhere.

I guess YMMV on all of these aspects of the game and where you put importance in evaluation. I just think that the game would've been a surefire hit if Eve was more like Lightning and less like a milquetoast version of 2B, that it had a story that felt like it had some actual writing, and that they had, like, covered everyone up.

I'm continuing with Final Fantasy VII Remake, with some Balatro on the side.

I feel I'm still waiting for FFVII to really begin, but hopefully things will get more interesting. I've played the original only once like five years ago, and don't have any nostalgia to carry me through the game.

In Balatro I'm probably still at an early stage. I've beaten a bunch of runs, but haven't figured out anything too crazy.

I just think that the game would've been a surefire hit if Eve was more like Lightning and less like a milquetoast version of 2B
You’re definitely right about that. Changing Eve to Lightning, and doing nothing else, would definitely catapult Stellar Blade onto another level of popularity. No doubt.

Playing Megaton Musashi Wired, and it’s freakin’ great! Is there no OT around here?

Such a shame it’s flying under the radar and no coverage at all, super rare to see an “anime” game with such production values and great ports all around.

Having a blast so far!
Since there is no physical release, in the end I grabbed the japanese version because it includes EFIGS and it’s a lot cheaper… I feel bad for not supporting the international release :-( but had too many expenses lately and too big of a backlog to justify spending 20€ more…

Playing Megaton Musashi Wired, and it’s freakin’ great! Is there no OT around here?

Such a shame it’s flying under the radar and no coverage at all, super rare to see an “anime” game with such production values and great ports all around.
Just make a thread about it tbh, this place needs more threads and if you're excited and want people to see it throw it out there. It doesn't have to be a super nice OT or anything. I do wish more people saw that localization and the random Leynos 2 one that seemed to have just fallen straight out of the sky.

Having a blast so far!
Since there is no physical release, in the end I grabbed the japanese version because it includes EFIGS and it’s a lot cheaper… I feel bad for not supporting the international release :-( but had too many expenses lately and too big of a backlog to justify spending 20€ more…

Is it anything like Custom Robo?

Played some Persona 3 and Destiny 2 last night. D2 has a new hoard mode with some returning weapons so I've been playing it in short sessions.

I might play some Oracle of Seasons tonight depending on how I feel.

I've had to work the last few weekends, but this weekend I have wrapped myself in a blanket finally playing the last bit of Mario RPG with the TV on in the background. That Book Club movie where Dianne Keaton reads 50 Shades of Gray is on and for how I'm feeling, it's kinda perfect

Back
Top Bottom