• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |3/22-3/24|

Popular weekend thread today which is awesome! I love reading what everyone is playing. Hoping for a calm weekend myself because it’s looking like an awesome weekend for games! Definitely going to be chipping away at the Love Live School Idol Festival 2 event that’s still ongoing. I definitely won’t hit 100,000 event points, but I’m currently in the top 100 You fans on the leaderboard which I’d like to maintain haha.

For my main game, I’ll also continue playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. I’m 80 hours in at Chapter 12 and yesterday I was cleaning up all of the minigames and I still have a great deal to go! This game is an endless buffet of riches lol. I might dabble in it a bit, but if I manage to finish Rebirth this weekend I’ll switch to Princess Peach Showtime. Peach will be my break game before I start Dragon’s Dogma II.

It's supposed to be a rain weekend here so I'm stuck inside.

Skipping the Splatfest this weekend because I'm too rusty and last time I popped in for a weekend it was just like repeatedly bashing my face with a baseball bat with a rusty nail.

So instead I'm putting more time into Super Mario Maker. Which... is also like bashing my face with a rusty nail adorned baseball bat, but at least I'm enjoying it. Even if I really wish I was playing Wonder instead.

Some day I shall be free of auto-playing level purgatory. Some day.

Maybe I'll throw down in a solo tabletop game but we'll see. I got a new bookshelf put together a few months back with the hope of making it easier to access all my tabletop games and I have yet to actually play a solo game since I've done that.

Last edited:
Shovel Knight Dig - still chipping away and making progress, we're getting better week after week and it feels really good to improve at. The gameplay is just so satisfying and the content pretty diverse that we don't mind retraversing similar ground. The secrets are absurdly neat, too.

Super Mario Odyssey - gradually working at improving in my attempts to beat the final level after putting it on hold several years ago. This too feels great to improve at...I know I'll get there soon!! 🌙

Happy weekend all!

Pentiment, i won't be able to play much this WE but it's not too long apparently so i should make some good progress, hopefully.

Happy Weekend everyone.

I recently bought all the Zero Escape games on Steam for $8 (why are they still not on Switch?) and just started 999, so that will probably comprise the bulk of my gaming time this weekend.

How did you like it overall? I’ve heard it’s easier than Crypt of the Necrodancer, but that’s not saying much because apparently Crypt is super hard.

I really liked it, from what I played of CotN recently CoH was definitely kinder overall. The last section though was the hardest part but I think you just need to make sure you have health potions/fairy’s and good power ups before tackling it.

I’ll have to try the Skull Kid DLC at some point

More DKC Returns for me! Just arrived in world 7 this morning, so I'm getting pretty close to beating the game in normal mode. Have already beaten the hardest level in the game: 5-k. It did take me a couple hours though :] Also did the speed run for it and got shiny gold even! So that was pretty cool

I'll have to see if I can get some game time in this weekend, but since Steam has its Spring Sale, I picked up some titles I'd been interested in for a while.

The first game I chose was Yamafuda!, a... moe deck building card game about hiking up mountains?!? The basic premise here is that you have a girl who wants to hike up mountains with her friend and the player's job is to pick what action she'll take next. Sounds easy enough, but the issue is that the girl has limited health points and the hazards the mountains throw at her will cause those health points to decline, so the point of the cards is finding the right balance between progressing up the mountain (shown on the card as "Walk" points) and keeping your character safe (shown on the card as "Care" points). After a few sections, there's a "camp" bit where the character can be healed and you can use "stones" to craft items that can influence various stats - but if you craft too much you can't fully heal.

I finished the first mountain yesterday and I do have to say it's really nice with enough strategising even in the first level to make you aware of the core mechanics of the game without screwing you over immediately.

Going to start playing Princess Peach Showtime! this weekend. Not expecting anything amazing, but I've heard some positive buzz. I could really use a light and breezy game like this because...

I didn't end up finishing Persona 3 Reload like I was hoping to. Man, Tartarus is so long! Getting closer to the end though. Still love the game.

Playing me some Mario Golf GBC on NSO. This game is really kicking my ass here. I've only just made it to the fourth champion, but the 2D is really screwing with my depth perception with putting.

But hey, never thought I'd ever learn Golf terminology, so I'm getting that out of it.

More DKC Returns for me! Just arrived in world 7 this morning, so I'm getting pretty close to beating the game in normal mode. Have already beaten the hardest level in the game: 5-k. It did take me a couple hours though :] Also did the speed run for it and got shiny gold even! So that was pretty cool
That is so cool that you're getting shiny golds and such! 🥇 I really want to replay DKCR and am just hoping for a console version with 60 fps and button controls, especially as a prelude to a new DK. I really think it's going to happen this year. Congrats on your progress, I think it's a wonderfully tricky game and those Kong levels took me ages but we're so satisfying to persevere through. I don't remember which gave me the most trouble in DKCR, but in Tropical Freeze 2-K was the hardest for me.

That is so cool that you're getting shiny golds and such! 🥇 I really want to replay DKCR and am just hoping for a console version with 60 fps and button controls, especially as a prelude to a new DK. I really think it's going to happen this year. Congrats on your progress, I think it's a wonderfully tricky game and those Kong levels took me ages but we're so satisfying to persevere through. I don't remember which gave me the most trouble in DKCR, but in Tropical Freeze 2-K was the hardest for me.
Ah, Bopopolis! Amazing level, but a real finger-breaker indeed. They're all very fun to complete though, and satisfying once you get the gist of the level. It has been quite a while since I last played DKCR, but it is pleasantly surprising me so far! Art direction has also hold up very well, so a simple 60fps upscaled port with button control should be all that is needed I think. Hopefully we get that this year. Or maybe a whole new entry 👀

Ah, Bopopolis! Amazing level, but a real finger-breaker indeed. They're all very fun to complete though, and satisfying once you get the gist of the level. It has been quite a while since I last played DKCR, but it is pleasantly surprising me so far! Art direction has also hold up very well, so a simple 60fps upscaled port with button control should be all that is needed I think. Hopefully we get that this year. Or maybe a whole new entry 👀
I would definitely love to have both, especially the latter, and I totally agree about how minimal touchup a port would need. I also agree all these levels are so fun to complete. I struggled with the motion controls in this more than any other Wii game, but I came to really love the game on 3DS. The extra world was neat, too. I think Gear Getaway and Red Hot Riding are two of my favorite levels but then I start to think about our bat friend in the cave world, or the theming of the prehistoric excavation world, and it gets hard to pick favorites.

I would definitely love to have both, especially the latter, and I totally agree about how minimal touchup a port would need. I also agree all these levels are so fun to complete. I struggled with the motion controls in this more than any other Wii game, but I came to really love the game on 3DS. The extra world was neat, too. I think Gear Getaway and Red Hot Riding are two of my favorite levels but then I start to think about our bat friend in the cave world, or the theming of the prehistoric excavation world, and it gets hard to pick favorites.
I only have the Wii version, so I never played the extra levels they added for 3DS. Would be nice to play those sometime as well, I think they weren't too difficult iirc. And it's definitely hard to pick favourites yeah. World 4 and the middle part of world 2 are both phenomenal, but I got somewhat blindsided by some of the levels I've come across in world 5 and 6, like Flutter Flyaway and Clifftop Climb. They are really neat as well, but I think I remembered them less vividly, as I mostly played worlds 1-4 way back when. Looking forward to what surprises the final 2 worlds hold!

It's been fun going through the PS+ collection as a new PS5 owner; they've put quite a few of their hits in there! I will definitely be going back to Returnal. I was sort of surprised that I didn't love my two or so hours with Ratchet, despite enjoying the series a lot in the past and the fantastic presentation. Demon's Souls is maybe the most visually impressive game I've ever seen, and I cleared the first archstone, but I don't think I'm in the mood for something so challenging at the moment. Still have Forbidden West left to try out, and then it's on to Final Fantasy XVI. FF is my favourite series, so I'm very excited to finally play the latest mainline entry!

Also I showed my kid Astro's Playroom and he seemed pretty into it but, wow, my cat really hated when the DualSense would pop off.

Been itching to play Toriyama's work and was messing with some more DQXI S on Switch, but I realized I only every played DQVII once, which is crazy considering I played the others four plus times each. So I dug out the 3ds and am starting a new file. We will see if i stick with it.

Went back to Halo: CE some this evening.

The level design in the original Halo is the worst. Straight up, the very worst. People point to the Library as the prime example of Halo’s bad levels, but it actually starts during the very first mission. Every level that isn’t outside is a confusing maze of identical corridors and larger open spaces, with no waypoints to point you where you need to go. It’s ridiculous.

I am still playing Doom Eternal (Switch). I’m about halfway through and it is fun. I recommend it for any action/arcade and FPS fan.

Decided on playing The Pathless on Steam Deck as my next game, just did the 3rd area, it’s a very beautiful game. Loving the movement once you have momentum going, zipping around feels very satisfying.

50 hours in Persona 5 Royal. At first it was a bit too talky for me, but after you get attached to the characters you enjoy the dialogues. However it's ridiculously easy, even on hard there's almost no challenge which makes everything about personas feel like an afterthought.

I should have been playing Xenoblade 3, but instead I’ve been playing through the Halo Master Chief Collection campaigns. Finished Halo CE Anniversary on Friday, working on Halo 2 now.

I got in a good five hours of Rebirth. I wish I was able to play it more, but that’s how it is. Jealous of the people who could just binge it!

I wrapped up the FFXIV portion of Final Bar Line, and played a level in Halo CE as well. Thirty-two tracks is maybe a bit too many for XIV? Shoulda cut that number in half and had the rest as bonus tracks or something.

Just about finished with Peach, and I played a couple hours each of the games in the PS+ collection I’m interested in to help decide what to get down the road!

My weekend report - it was a pretty busy weekend for me, but I still got some great gaming in. I had a good time playing the Love Live School Idol Festival 2 event. I was hoping to get one more event song in for a bunch of points, but the event ended earlier than I expected. Hope I made the Top 100 You fans as I’ll be sad if I was one or two ranks short.

The big part of my report though is I finished Final Fantasy VII Rebirth after roughly 95 hours! Awesome game overall! I’ll have to sleep on how I felt about the ending, but even if I wasn’t as high on it as I was Remake’s I think I still enjoyed it. I’ll try to write more thoughts in the ST and RPG thread tomorrow.

Managed to fully clear one planet in Jet Force Gemini and unlocked a "secret" planet as well (I think it's mandatory for the main quest but it's "hidden" so yeah).

In FFV, I'm doing the Phoenix Tower, which I'm pretty sure is the final place I can clear before going for the final area. Maybe I'll finally clear this game this week.

Last edited:
I cheesed my way through the last tournament of Mario Golf GBC. Apparently the Link's Cup is treated by the game as a standard ending, while the Mario Cup is treated as a sort of Post-Game, despite your goal from the very beginning being that you are aiming to beat Mario. This game has a lopsided difficulty to match the short length, because no matter what, the putting is where this game really struggles for me.

The depth perception for when you have to get that last putt is so off it feels like luck instead of skill that your ball will make it in the hole, even though the game goes out its way to aim your ball generally where is optimal. "Generally." You have to infuriatingly make a lot of adjustments for slopes and speed that are so small it is infuriating how close you will come and lose.

I only have to unlock Wario next and then I'll be done. And I'll write a more indepth review in the completed games thread.

Good weekend for gaming. Splatoon 3 Splatfest was a decent time overall, got my snails so I can work on some gear ideas for some weapons I didn't expect to get into.

but 21 hours into Dragon's Dogma 2.....it's SO good! Unless something like Metroid Prime 4 is actually gonna get revealed and released this year I can't think of too many other larger games that'll be my GOTY. So easy to lose hours....just like BOTW/TOTK.

Anyway, expect more weekend thread posts of just me saying DD2 is amazing.

I barely got any gaming time this weekend due to certain factors so I only played a little of Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot and am now halfway through Namek, I suspect.

I finished Rebirth. I did play a little of the OG FF VII on Saturday and Sunday as I digested the ending. It's always interesting to compare the original to the remakes especially the pacing. I got to and wrapped up Cosmo Canyon in an hour in the OG whereas the just the main story quest for that section in Rebirth is a few hours, let alone several hours doing sidequests.

Back
Top Bottom