• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |1/26-1/28|

I think I'll wrap up Future Connected tomorrow - gonna try my hand at those Lv. 60+ unique enemies (well I already beat one of them... twice) and then move on to Bayonetta 3.

I beat that Church Guy on my first try! It uh, wasn't my best performance lol. But I got 'im!

Then there was a bunch of cool cutscenes:
L2UNAYl.gif

Now I think I'm close to Gran Pulse, if memory serves...😅

I meant to post this late yesterday, but I was pretty tired. Been one of those work weeks bleh. Anyway, onto the good stuff...the games!

Exoprimal (Xbox Gamepass PC) continues. Need to fight the Rathalos a couple more times to unlock the armor for one of the exosuits. Overall this latest season 3 has been very healthy for the game, feels they've finally tweaked the matchmaking enough for those who have completed the story to encounter more unique maps, mode, final mission and harder dinosaurs than before. I'm just glad this unique brand of PvEvP gameplay is finding success.

F-Zero 99's latest update successfully roped me back into playing it daily. The secret track is really cool! and kinda rare? The remixed music is great though. NST should be applauded for being able to create a new F-Zero game that can find its own footing in the 99-player battle royale Nintendo has conjured up these past few years.

Will be continuing Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I think it's time to finish this...or at least attempt to. I'm on the 4th world so I feel like I'm over halfway, but haven't hit the "oh shit, Kirby's new cute companion is a part of some demon spawn" part yet lol. Really eager to see what is in store!

After a 3+ year wait, my Polymega arrived this week! I've just finished loading it up with all my cartridge games, so I've been dabbling in old NES, Genesis, SNES, and N64 games. And a few Playstation games as well, but not many yet; they take several minutes to install whereas the cartridge games take seconds.

And I just finished a cute little non-official NES game that came pre-installed on it, called Turtle Rescue.

Saturday went on without a hitch, gaming wise. I didn't cover all my games, but i plan on compensating that today, however, i can't say it wasn't a productive day. Let's start with Horizon: Zero Dawn

GE4Lqw2W4AAEI_t

I finally got myself on par with my progression on the PS4 version! My journey started from almost this exact point and i didn't stop until i came to learn who was Elisabeth Sobek, getting more questions after watching the holo-recordings.

It was easier this time, not just because i already knew the place, but also because i had THE POWER OF GYRO by my side, and it was pretty fun blazing through the enemy lines and delivering stealth headshot kills and weak point shots left and right, even the boss before the tower fell like it was nothing!

Ended my session right after getting out of the tower and saving on a bonfire (effortlessly killed a couple of new machines in the proccess, alongside some stray long legs) as well as buying a shiny new bow capable of shooting steel arrows.

By the way, this game on HDR is particularly stunning, probably the best i've played in this format.

My other choice was Pokémon SoulSilver and oh boy, this one was a trip.

As i said yesterday, last time i played i had just reached Azalea Town, so first thing i do is grabbing my team and taking out the TRash from the Slowpoke Well, then give some random Apricorns to Kurt (localization really makes it hard for me to write these mindlessly) before facing the Azalea gym.

And man, that one was an experience, not because of the puzzle or the trainers on my way to Bugsy, but because after beating all the goons and healing my 'mons, i talk to Bugsy and this is what i'm facing first in the battle.
GD0ALr6WgAAPWfF

WHAT THE FUCK!?

Mind you, the highest level Pokémon in the whole gym before Bugsy is a lv. 13 Paras that fell down with a Peck, and this kid throws this cannon at me first thing in the battle!?

Talk about overkill!

But in the end, i managed to overcome the obstacle (thank Arceus i catched that Geodude!), got the bagde and went on with my business. Got into the Ilex Forest, got the HM Cut, had to interrupt my stroll a couple of times to go back to route 31 for some delicious berries and finally, after too much back and forth for my tastes, i reached Goldenrod city! And that's where i saved and closed the console so i could watch some GDQ videos.

This is my team as of now. I've switched at least half of my critters since i last played:

• GassyGas the Gastly (lv. 14) - A creepy licker i'm not exactly comfortable with, but he also knows hypnosis so it's all fine! His role has been mostly incapacitating enemy mons and switching to a better attacker to finish the job. Thinking abount putting him in rotation, but i have nothing decent to switch him with yet (i refuse to put a Drowzee in my team, that one makes me downright uncomfortable)
  • Asimova the Mareep (lv. 14) - Bird frier and paralyzer extraordinaire, also a bit of a tank. I added her to the team as soon as i catched her (first wild Pokémon after Flakner's gym. Ha!). She was the one who beat Bugsy's Scyther with merely 1 HP left
  • WiseOwl the HootHoot (lv. 13) - A classic. Who wants a lame pidgey when you have a clock themed, smart-ass looking owl? The thing is, this smart-ass looking owl's potential stays untapped until he starts learning special attacks, so he's also lame, but hey! At least he knows Hypnosis!. Lowest level on the team, in truth i have only used him to beat random fodder bugs and Bellsprouts, i'm waiting to find something better to rotate him out (Maybe Zubat? Nononono, not Zubat, NOT ZUBAT)
  • Emeth the Geodude (lv. 17) - NOW we're talking! This rockhead right here took out Falkner's signature Pokémon, and has been the rock of the team until now, and now that he's learned Magnitude and Rock Throw he's unstoppable! I'm keeping him away from watery and grassy 'mons, though.
  • Dooper the Wooper (lv. 14) - Another underused mon, but i plan on keeping this derpy boi. He's slow as molasses, but is even tankier than Asimova and heals with Water attacks! Looking forward to reach a place where he's really useful.
  • PyroMouse the Quilava (lv. 16) - PyroMouse took out half of the Azalea gym by herself, leveling up quickly in the process, but her moveset is, to put it bluntly, low level trash, so i'm keeping her in the reserve while the other 'mons catch on. I need her to learn something useful before challenging the Goldenrod Gym, or it's all going to fall on Emeth's shoulders again.
I don't plan on playing it today, mainly because i want to continue Cassette Beasts, but through the week i expect to, at least, get pass Goldenrod and maybe rotating some 'mons. Also, since i'm playing it on my 3DS, i plan on using PKSM to migrate all my Fire Red critters to this save, and if all goes well and TPCI doesn't close the service early, all the 'mons from these playthroughs will eventually end up in Brilliant Diamond.

I made it to Halloween Town in Kingdom Hearts 1. Atlantica was as lame as I remember so I'm glad that's done.

It's very funny to replay this decades later knowing what would follow lol.

Still playing Hades. Randomness has been a little on my favor so I’ve finally advanced some sidequests but it’ll be a while before I’m done I think.

Have been playing Xeno 3 DLC for a week. Seeing Colony 9 and hearing its music was a big nostalgia trip.

Still playing Hades. Randomness has been a little on my favor so I’ve finally advanced some sidequests but it’ll be a while before I’m done I think.

It's amazing how long those conversations can keep you invested in the game. I'm not normally one for big dialog trees; I'm often the one mashing the button to move on. But trying to get one more snippet from my favorites in Hades kept me playing long, long after I'd probably had called it off, otherwise.

I’ve been feeling a bit down lately, and I think part of that is because I can’t seem to get myself to play the games I’ve got going, and there’s like, guilt there about it. It feels bad.

I did play some 13 Sentinels last night, but it’s hard to play that game tired because I often miss some plot point, or I forget something that happened because I was tired, or whatever. So what I played last night mostly was something different - Need for Speed Underground on PS2.

I remember being obsessed with Underground for a few weeks when it came out in 2003. I loved the car customization and the killer soundtrack. Driving through that rain-slicked city at night in a pulsing neon tuner car was constantly exhilarating. And I’m happy to say that the game mostly holds up in 2024.

The visuals are gorgeous. I’m constantly impressed with how good PS2 games look upscaled to 1080p. The character models for the people aren’t good, and the reflections on the cars are pretty bad actually, but everything else looks great.

The driving and racing are a ton of fun, and the races can actually be pretty challenging on hard difficulty. You have to drive nearly perfectly to stay ahead of the rubber banding AI. This brings up a point about the visuals, though - the tracks are littered with shortcuts, but the entrances are hard to see in the dark. It’s not a big issue, since you’re driving the same tracks often enough that you’ll learn where the shortcuts are, but that doesn’t stop every shortcut from feeling like an insane risk when you’re steering into a blind corner at super high speeds because you can’t see the shortcut.

Speaking of repetition, Underground is chock full of it. There’s 111 total events, and most of them take place on only a few tracks. There’s drag races and drift events to break things up, but the majority of your time will be spent driving in circles on those same wet roads. This isn’t really a problem for me though, since that kind of mindless repetition is almost part of the appeal of racing games for me. It doesn’t take a ton of mental energy to play.

Car customization and performance upgrade progression does a lot to help make all that grinding compelling. The start of the game sees you with basically no options to change up your Honda Civic or whatever, but over the course of the career mode you’ll unlock visual upgrades like vinyl wraps, neon strips, window tinting and more to make your car your own, as well as performance upgrades. Tune up your car to win races that unlock more tuning parts to win more races. It’s a satisfying gameplay loop.

The soundtrack has been a disappointment though. Aside from the Lil Jon song that plays in the menu (TO THE WINDOOOOOW), nothing stands out at all. It’s mid as heck. It’s better to drop the volume and listen to a podcast or whatever.

Weird gaming weekend for me. I didn’t play any TLOU 2. But I did play a lot of 13 Sentinels, as well as a lot of NFS Underground, a little bit of Picross 3D, and also Trials HD for some reason. I was testing a new remote play program for the Xbox and just kinda got lost playing Trials again. Love that series.

I really need to get back to TLOU 2.

My weekend report: I didn’t end up having too much time for games this weekend, but I did have fun playing what I could so I’m happy there. I’ve finished 6.5 arcade modes in Under Night In-Birth II (Merkava has a bad ending I haven’t unlocked (seemingly the only one?)) and I’m having a blast there. I only managed to play three hours of Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth so I’m still super early. Really dug the start so far. Lots of great moments and humor.

I beat Nier Automata. Just because of the concert I went to at LA

Concert was fantastic.

Game was okay. It’s very much one of those “I do not like the gameplay at all which is effecting my enjoyment and it’s really no fault of the game itself”.

I can see why it’s beloved. But it was a drag to play personally, just can’t get into these type of action games.

Oh yeah post-weekend report.

I didn't finish Kirby and the Forgotten Land yet. Welp! But I'm in the final world I believe. I can see getting it knocked out in a few days though.

I played a bunch of F-Zero 99 though! Sheesh they got me in a chokehold lol. These secret tracks were a very cool idea. I'm sure it'll keep updating over the next two weeks too.

And I got my Murasame Rathalos armor in Exoprimal. So good overall!

Weekend report: I finished KH:FM after all, though I had forgotten about the second Hollow Bastion visit which I found pretty annoying. Also, thank god for boss checkpoints because the final boss is still an absolute mess.

Been meaning to replay the series for a while so Itarted Re:Chain of Memories (I've only played the original on GBA) and was immediately put off by the combat system. Dropped it and now I'm playing KH2:FM.

Back
Top Bottom