• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What would you want from a potential Super Mario RPG remake? (Graphics, QOL, new content etc.)

Preferably just make it functional on modern displays and just add in accessibility options so more people can enjoy it. Maybe throw on the fast forward since I see that as an accessibility tool these days.

Don't see anything about Super Mario RPG that warrants remake work being done to it, but I guess that is the business these days.

How many classic Mario enemies are even in Super Mario RPG that would get a major redesign? Most of the games enemy line up consists of new creations for the game. Beyond that enemies like Goombas, Bomb-ombs, bloopers really haven't changed in a significant way.

I have very little attachment to SMRPG but if they don’t try to replicate the CG style there’s no point in a remake.

From an ahestetic point of view, I'd like a "plastic-y" look typical of the '90s CGI graphics.
Something along the line of the Link's Awakeing remake.

UjQVtoI.jpg

How many classic Mario enemies are even in Super Mario RPG that would get a major redesign? Most of the games enemy line up consists of new creations for the game. Beyond that enemies like Goombas, Bomb-ombs, bloopers really haven't changed in a significant way.
For me it’s more the use of shadows that gives them a slight edge over the typical Mario enemies, but there aren’t that many that are radically different. Hammer Bros. are pretty different and I wonder how they might touch the Donkey Kong in chains enemy. I wouldn’t really mind if they brought the Boos more in line though again the color gives them a different texture than normal Boos today. Here’s a big gallery of all of them.

I don't really enjoy that era of prerendered sprites. The Donkey Kong Country Series is another example where I rather see something like Tropical Freeze if it wants to look 3d, or Hades, Bastion or other nice 2d games if they want 2d.

Like others have said, just make it look like the 90s cgi renders. That along with some minor QOL additions is literally all they need to do.

I guess nothing aside from making the graphics look like the CG renders.

I'll be honest though, I'm not really the biggest Super Mario RPG fan. Every time I try to replay it, I get bored and stop after Yaridovich. And it's not from getting spoiled by later Mario RPGs, this was the first Mario RPG I ever played and beat on Wii Virtual Console. But if you change the gameplay and scenarios of Mario RPG, it runs the risk of changing the elements that people like the game for.

I guess a few more minor things that can be fixed, mostly tied into common areas people get stuck/confised

-Edit the Belome switch in Belome's Temple to not be random. I get wanting to hide a secret, but people have gotten stuck/confused because they got the "I'm not seeing anyone", are told to bring a key, and then back track looking for the key they "missed".

-Have Mallow remind Mario to "grab Grandpa's cricket pie" if you attempt to leave the mushroom kingdom without it.

-Make the seed/fertilizer unsellable/undroppable

-Add a short cut to the final segment of Smithy's factory so the player can leave/return without having to do the entire area over again if they want to leave and do more side quests

-Clarify what the nebulous accessories like the Troopa Pin and Ghost Medal do

-Offer an alternative to the 30/100 jump challenge. Perhaps you can also get the prizes for 500 and 1000 total jumps.

-Don't require the player to win knife guy's game 16 times to get the bright card

-Add a toad that enables access to the one missable invisible chest

-Add option to retry the hide from booster and dodge dodo's peak events for their prizes. Either as an option after failing, or if you return to those rooms after the boss fight.

Lots of little tweaks

Feels like a remake by Grezzo would look nice with a similar rendering style to Link's Awakening, especially for the environments but the character designs would look closer to the original game.

I'm not particularly fond of the way SMRPG look so that'd be a best case scenario for me.

I've bounced off the game multiple times, even though I'm a huge M&L and Paper Mario fan, but I'd love to give it another shot. Not sure what about the game hasn't clicked with me. Maybe it's the art style? The pacing? I wish I knew. But hopefully, it's something they can resolve in a remake.

Just realized a more "inspired" look for a remake might be something like Fantasian where they use hand crafted dioramas and use them for the environments. Cool give it a cool look.

Fantasian-screen-shot-06.png

fantasian-ip-0876751b.png

Ever since playing Super Mario 3D Land, I always wanted an SMRPG Remake in that (and later 3D World's) style.

A new proper Super Mario RPG:
  • headed by the Octopath/Triangle Strategy team
  • Geno is back
  • as a gag, have Tetsuya Nomura design an edgy Mario and Bowser

Throwing my hat in on wanting a diorama aesthetic. Part of the charm of SMRPG to me is that the then-mindblowing 3D made Mario "look real" and from there I think the best avenue to return to that look is to add a lot of grit, weight and texture to those squashed toy models.

New content. 1-to-1 remakes just with a new aesthetic are very unremarkable.

Releases like Link's Awakening Switch are truly worthless and frustrating, I'd rather those same resources gone to creating something original.
Like cool, you remade a game I already played before just with a different art style. Worthless when you can just play the original, especially so if you dislike the new artstyle.

CWTKO0DXAAAYAvB

I personally wouldn't mind more in the vein of this, at all.
I think at the core of Super MArio RPG/Paper Mario is humor and the fact that it isn't afraid to poke fun at itself.

I'd think some Square-Enix staff would want to poke fun at their typical RPG conventions too, from Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy. A new Super Mario RPG would be the perfect outlet for that.

Imagine HD2D but with gags and some platforming.
From an ahestetic point of view, I'd like a "plastic-y" look typical of the '90s CGI graphics.
Something along the line of the Link's Awakeing remake.

UjQVtoI.jpg
I actually want them to parody the Final Fantasy VII ad. "Yes, it can all fit inside a 2 inch card. Yes, we are insane."

I think at the core of Super MArio RPG/Paper Mario is humor and the fact that it isn't afraid to poke fun at itself.

I'd think some Square-Enix staff would want to poke fun at their typical RPG conventions too, from Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy. A new Super Mario RPG would be the perfect outlet for that.

Imagine HD2D but with gags and some platforming.

I actually want them to parody the Final Fantasy VII ad. "Yes, it can all fit inside a 2 inch card. Yes, we are insane."
Oh, definitely. Just because we're summoning Nomura for art, doesn't mean I want to also summon him and Nojima for writing duties, too!

Back
Top Bottom