• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What would you want from a potential Super Mario RPG remake? (Graphics, QOL, new content etc.)

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
A rumor floated today that perhaps we might see a remake of Super Mario RPG in the next Direct. Regardless if it pans out, if Super Mario RPG were to get a remake what would you want from it? (Graphics, QOL, new content etc.) I thought about posting this just in the Direct thread, but I’d love to hear from people in a calmer, contained thread where discussion could potentially continue beyond if it doesn’t show up this week.

Mario RPG is deeply important to me as one of the games that early on cemented my love for RPGs. It showed to me too the potential of the genre as it expanded the world of Mario with original characters and locations and had both isometric platforming and action commands for an engaging gameplay mix. If you know me, I’m never that wild about Remakes, but I do think there is potential here depending on what they exactly do with it.

I’d like to see a fairly bold remake if they are making one which includes the original SNES game inside it so we can finally have it officially on a handheld. It should be 3D graphics and perhaps even controls while maintaining the isometric perspective. HD-2D wildly misses the point of the game. It must keep the original characters and enemies and even if it deviates a bit, it needs to keep some of the edge particularly with how that game uses shadows (I don’t want a plastic-like New Super look).

Beyond nailing the core adventure, I want some new adventures inside of it whether that’s in the form of epilogue / 2nd quest content, or some other adventures you can veer off towards (new islands, stuff in space, etc.). For this new content, new characters would be fun to see. Perhaps get Luigi in there with dialogue and upgrade Samus and Link to playable characters instead of just cameos. I don’t think any of this content has to be super extensive, but five solid hours of some kind of new adventures would be fun. Raise the level cap to 40 if necessary and give us a new spell and weapon for every character. The hardest part is coming up with new events, a town, and minigames, as I don’t think just more combat / dungeons alone are enough.

Both Nintendo and Square aren’t strangers to making worthwhile extra content, so I think something like this is possible, it’s just going to be hard to make it all fit just right. I don’t know if I believe this rumor is real, but again even with my dislike of remakes I think there is potential here to do something cool. If they did go the extra mile, I said it from the start, but they need to make the original game available in some way. It absolutely still holds up today.

there’s a potential remake?

they would announce a remake right when i’m in the middle of playing the game for the first time

there’s a potential remake?

they would announce a remake right when i’m in the middle of playing the game for the first time
Super Mario RPG is 100% worth playing in its original form regardless of whatever happens here :)

If it's a remake i hope they keep the original's CG aesthetics. Switch can pull it off, if you look at something like Mario + Rabbids.

OG art style rendered in real-time instead of being exported to sprites. Preferably with the original assets upscaled and cleaned up if they exist.

I’d really just want them to fix the isometric platforming sections and the 3-D maze. Otherwise the mechanics are still pretty solid.

Last edited:
It's actually a little hard to think of ways I'd want to improve it - it's a really great complete game as-is. Translating the visual style well is important, and I'm with you, I think the biggest way to add on would be postgame content or more side stuff to do. Maybe more ways to use frog coins?

But I haven't played it in years, so I'm sure there are other things you could do and a lot of QoL stuff they could add in.

Oh, and the most important thing - an amazing orchestrated Yoko Shimomura soundtrack!

they are going to redesign some enemies to make them more inline with modern aesthetics and people need to be prepared for it

It's actually a little hard to think of ways I'd want to improve it - it's a really great complete game as-is. Translating the visual style well is important, and I'm with you, I think the biggest way to add on would be postgame content or more side stuff to do. Maybe more ways to use frog coins?

But I haven't played it in years, so I'm sure there are other things you could do and a lot of QoL stuff they could add in.

Oh, and the most important thing - an amazing orchestrated Yoko Shimomura soundtrack!
Yeah I could see more use for Frog Coins beyond the accessory shop as being something to look at. Definitely a bit tricky though since I think it is one of those things that has a good balance struck for newer vs older players.

I’d love an orchestrated soundtrack. The music is so good!!

Add the ability to rotate the camera. It doesn't even need to be a full 360 degree rotation, just the ability to rotate 45 degrees to the left or right would go a long way for the people who struggle with isometric platforming.

If Johnny was originally planned to be a playable character, finish that concept and make him the 6th playable character. Have him join after the Yaridovich fight.

For QoL/accessibility purposes, add the ability to hold the button for auto perfect timing on attacks/specials/guards or some other variant of that.

Revamp the item system, either let players carry as many of an item as they want, or introduce a storage system if you want to keep that 29 item limit.

Add in some kind of side quest/hint tracker, there's a lot of obscure secrets in Super Mario RPG. Don't go crazy spoiling things, but maybe add like a toad newspaper that in each town you can get suggestions like "beeg baby has hatched on yoshi's island" or "gaming prodigy closing in on world record score in mushroom kingdom"

Since M&L no longer exist, I'd like them to incorporate the dodging mechanics from that series
I highly disagree with this. Mario RPG and Paper Mario are not balanced around the player being able to dodge/most all damage or hit the enemy during their turn. You'd have to completely rework the entire combat system and character progression around such a change. Let Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi all be their own series.

Edit: As a reminder, in Super Mario RPG, only physical attacks could be blocked. Spells always did full damage to the target.

Last edited:
Add the ability to rotate the camera. It doesn't even need to be a full 360 degree rotation, just the ability to rotate 45 degrees to the left or right would go a long way for the people who struggle with isometric platforming.

If Johnny was originally planned to be a playable character, finish that concept and make him the 6th playable character. Have him join after the Yaridovich fight.

For QoL/accessibility purposes, add the ability to hold the button for auto perfect timing on attacks/specials/guards or some other variant of that.

Revamp the item system, either let players carry as many of an item as they want, or introduce a storage system if you want to keep that 29 item limit.

Add in some kind of side quest/hint tracker, there's a lot of obscure secrets in Super Mario RPG. Don't go crazy spoiling things, but maybe add like a toad newspaper that in each town you can get suggestions like "beeg baby has hatched on yoshi's island" or "gaming prodigy closing in on world record score in mushroom kingdom"

I highly disagree with this. Mario RPG and Paper Mario are not balanced around the player being able to dodge/most all damage or hit the enemy during their turn. You'd have to completely rework the entire combat system and character progression around such a change. Let Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi all be their own series.
Ooh I like the camera rotation idea! Would be a cool way to maintain the look, make some challenges a bit more straightforward, and also sort of expand the world in a way.

Playable Johnny would be rad in a remake capacity I agree. (One of my favorite parts of the game is his ship)

Would also love item storage as someone who hoards items excessively lol.

Honestly? I don't think they have to change much as long as it's HD 2D. Maybe make the timing inputs a bit looser to account for modern displays and flesh out the script a bit more.

Here are some:
  1. Make platforming fun which probably would involve being able to move the camera.
  2. Stop disrespecting Luigi.
  3. Add First Strike from Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. This also means Mario can use the hammer outside of the battle screen.
  4. Add some bonus areas/items to already completed locations to make them more interesting in return visits.
  5. Earthbound has a “instant win” mechanic where you defeat weaker enemies automatically without going into the battle screen which a lot of RPGs could benefit from. This is related to #4. No need to force players into battle when they’re there for a side-quest or previously unreachable chest.

Can't think of much I would like added to it or changed tbh, I just hope they translate its unique aesthetics, designs and soundtrack well if its real (and that is not 2D HD in terms of lighting and effects), is still to this day a really unique Mario game in all its elements, and I think the most important thing to do is to preserve that uniqueness in a remake.

Edit: As a reminder, in Super Mario RPG, only physical attacks could be blocked. Spells always did full damage to the target.
Well this is a remake we're talking about. I would love to let paper mario and M&L be their own series but that's not the case anymore

Well this is a remake we're talking about. I would love to let paper mario and M&L be their own series but that's not the case anymore
There has been one game that played like Mario RPG, and 5 Mario & Luigi games. We do not need to make Mario RPG less unique by being more like M&L.

There has been one game that played like Mario RPG, and 5 Mario & Luigi games. We do not need to make Mario RPG less unique by being more like M&L.
I'm not going to dismiss your view, I think it's a totally valid way of looking at things and I feel similar to a lot of games with potential remakes. However, SMPRG for me personally still holds up so I don't mind a remake changing things up more. I also think the timed hits concept was expanded on and improved in PM/M&L whereas the other combat elements felt like toned down FF.

I'm not going to dismiss your view, I think it's a totally valid way of looking at things and I feel similar to a lot of games with potential remakes. However, SMPRG for me personally still holds up so I don't mind a remake changing things up more. I also think the timed hits concept was expanded on and improved in PM/M&L whereas the other combat elements felt like toned down FF.
And I feel the opposite, as these games went on combat got so bogged down with needing to hit 27 buttons every round to do an attack/dodge that it got tedious.

I think the timed hits in SMRPG are kinda weird and visually confusing a lot of the time, so tightening up those animations would be great.

Seems like a huge leap to go from some guy saying we might get a SNES remake to thinking it has to be SMRPG. As for what I want...I don't really want anything, this is a hot take but I don't care at all about SMRPG. It's art style is ugly, it's story is basic, and it's just not as compelling as any of the later Mario RPGs. I'm happy for the fans if it gets revealed but I don't care if the game exists or not.

I will say I hope they cut out Geno, I can't deal with 10 more years of people talking about why he must be in Smash Bros.

Seems like a huge leap to go from some guy saying we might get a SNES remake to thinking it has to be SMRPG. As for what I want...I don't really want anything, this is a hot take but I don't care at all about SMRPG. It's art style is ugly, it's story is basic, and it's just not as compelling as any of the later Mario RPGs. I'm happy for the fans if it gets revealed but I don't care if the game exists or not.

I will say I hope they cut out Geno, I can't deal with 10 more years of people talking about why he must be in Smash Bros.
He posted a gif of a Yoshi from RPG right after that and has been liking replies talking about RPG. That seems to be what he meant.

I never played the original but I'd be down for a full remake with good visuals. Preferably not HD-2D, I'm kinda sick of that style as of right now. I'm not sure how dynamic the original game is but maybe add some platforming or some ways to interact with the world more idk why I'm on this thread tbh

I find the combat in SMRPG a bit too simplistic. It ultimately boils down to Peach spamming heals and SP items while Mario and Geno/Bowser/Mallow uses their same best attack nonstop.

idk what they could do, but I wouldn't mind it if they could rework it a little or add stuff

Super Mario RPG is like...the Mario RPG that I don't have too much affection for. I don't mean in a quality sense so much as a "wrong place, wrong time" kinda deal. The cool thing that SMRPG did - introduce a world filled with unique characters beyond the norm with a fun story to go along with it - was done for me with Paper Mario as a kid, and I didn't get to play the OG until I was a teenager, where I perhaps wasn't in the right mindset to appreciate it fully. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi push the identity of the Mario RPG further while SMRPG can feel like a beginner's Square RPG that's adding on the new Mario mechanics. Which, to be fair, is exactly what the game is, and it was new and novel for the time, but later games have spoiled me. I'll give it another shot some day, I promise!

On that note, I don't really have many notes on what I'd want out of a SMRPG remake. I will echo the calls for the game not having an HD-2D art style. It's ill-fitting for a game that pushed pre-rendered 3D graphics. In that regard, barring an emulated re-release with scanline/filter options, a remake with real time 3D graphics would be pretty appropriate.

I think one of the main things i'd want is for them to change the menu system to stack items rather than have the same item take multiple slots. Also maybe do something to have the timed hits have a bit more of a visual or audible tell as they were incredibly hard to figure out.

I think the timed hits in SMRPG are kinda weird and visually confusing a lot of the time, so tightening up those animations would be great.
Also maybe do something to have the timed hits have a bit more of a visual or audible tell as they were incredibly hard to figure out.
Actually, yeah, this is the big one. Timed hits don't feel good in SMRPG, so if they fix that it would go a long way.

I sort of just want the original on NSO. Would rather a sequel in the vein of the first with the time attack/defense mechanic since it’s still pretty unique to this overarching series.

But, if we get a remake, I think it needs to be more like the new Link’s Awakening than HD2D (or something worse). Just fits the vibe more to me.

Any new content would need to be a self contained side story I think. How about a Boshi quest or playing as Booster/Valentina post-wedding. Not sure they can do much else with the main cast other than shoehorn a character like Luigi into the game.

If Nintendo and Square are playing nice, I would also like to expand the Square (and I guess Enix now too) boss catalog and have a bunch of hard side battles a la the Culex fight.

I really typically dislike "same game new graphics" remakes. Really if they are going to go through with this then yeah I'd like some new enemies, battle abilities, characters, sidequests, etc. Even if its overall very similar I just want more.

But also visually if they just reworked the Links Awakening remake graphics a bit that would work.

I believe either a clay/stop motion aesthetic like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, toy or diorama like Link's Awakening or a full reimagining, like 3D moving like a 3D Mario but you encounter enemies and enter a battle (like P5).

Anyways, I wasn't expecting this to be announced until like February Direct for a 2025 launch at the earliest so it caught me totally by surprise.

To basically sum up, as well expand upon my musings in the other topic:

My ideal, especially with us revisiting this classic after nearly 30 years, would be to see Square Enix going ham in taking full advantage of the "Final Fantasy JRPG" aspects of the original work that its successors, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, both largely jettisoned. For example: Mario and the gang in Mario RPG definitely felt more like composites of familiar FF classes/jobs than Mario, Luigi and/or the Paper partners ever did. If that means adding in a few more members to make party composition even more interesting (and also let Mario be subbed out!), so much the better.

And also, if it came to it, the Square Enix devs can easily avoid the ire of the "Mario mandates"(tm), by perhaps leaning even more into their Mario-flavored OCs to make for NPCs. Boshi (who, again, should be a party member this around!) is pretty much the only one I consider non-negotiable. And at worst, you could just say he's a "mutant" or "something else" that the Yoshi tribe took in as one of their own.

Art style and the color palette just does not work for me, if this is real - I hope they go for something else

Something like Demons Souls remake but with QOL and some new content. Also should have good accessibility options.

It would be nice when, after skipping Smash Ultimate if Geno would be in this time around, he really deserves it imo.

Back
Top Bottom