• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What will Nintendo do/release to celebrate Mario’s 40th anniversary in 2025?

ITSMILNER

Tingle
For his 35th we got the 3D All Stars collection, could we finally see Galaxy 2 HD next year as part of the celebrations? Maybe even a newer, re-release version of 3D All Stars with Galaxy 2 included.

If Switch 2 is in 2025, then I’d imagine the next 3D Mario would effectively be touted as the 40th anniversary game. Perhaps that’s even what the game itself is themed around, similar to something like Sonic Generations.

As far as rereleases, I think they’d go with either NSMBWii or Galaxy 2 (preferably the latter). A 3D All-Stars reprint could also happen, but I doubt they’d add a new game to that collection.

Galaxy 2 and 3D land deserve at least an HD remaster. Maybe a 3D all star volume 2 with 3d world and bowser’s fury too?

However, with the new 3D Mario being pretty much a lock on switch 2 launch we will probably see nothing more next year :D

Maybe we could get a remaster collection this fall to fill the gap caused by switch 2 delay (similar situation to 2020 3D all star collection)

New 3D Mario is a lock. I dream of a Galaxy 2 HD port but I think I'll just have to wait until forever.

Nothing specifically. maybe rerelease Super Mario 35, but that'll be it. A lot of the focus on mario in 2020 came about because development pipelines fell apart in the wake of covid and they hadn't originally intended much of it to be an anniversary thing other than Super mario 35.

The clearest bit of evidence that they weren't originally intending the anniversary to be such a big part of 2020, and pivoted to focusing on it by the seat of their pants, is that Origami king, the only completely original mario title that year (... well, also mario kart live I guess), was announced and went by without so much of a mention of the anniversary.

Origami king, the only completely original mario title that year (... well, also mario kart live I guess)
I wouldn't read too much into what they did with these games: the former is a spinoff featuring, for lack of better words, a non-default incarnation of Mario, while the latter's utilization of unique accessories made it a bit unorthodox for Anniversary celebrations.

Edit: I had a brain fart and forgot that MK Live was revealed as part of the Anniversary celebrations, but my point still stands on Paper Mario

Last edited:
3D Mario Switch 2 (tentative) and Mario Kart 9 (tentative) but with only a casual mention of the anniversary.

I dont expect them to go all out like with the 35th anniversary just because its a lot to do that kind of stunt every 5 years. That said 2025 is absolutely going to be a big year for Mario. Both a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart are near the top of the list on games likely to be year 1 titles for Switch 2. In addition Super Nintendo World will finally be opening in Orlando which will be the largest version of that land.

I'm sorry but Mario died on March 31st 2021.
Nothing specifically. maybe rerelease Super Mario 35, but that'll be it. A lot of the focus on mario in 2020 came about because development pipelines fell apart in the wake of covid and they hadn't originally intended much of it to be an anniversary thing other than Super mario 35.

The clearest bit of evidence that they weren't originally intending the anniversary to be such a big part of 2020, and pivoted to focusing on it by the seat of their pants, is that Origami king, the only completely original mario title that year (... well, also mario kart live I guess), was announced and went by without so much of a mention of the anniversary.
The plan was for the 35th Anniversary Direct to air in April with Mario Maker 2 3.0, the reveal of Origami King, Mario 35, Mario Kart Live, 3D All Stars, and 3D World. Then covid happened, so they randomly dropped half of it throughout the spring and summer and had the smaller presentation in August.

new 3D Mario, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Mario Kart is revealed or released at the end of the year too, details of the new Mario movie will be announced - some smaller stuff like the Nintendo Museum, Mario spin offs etc...

Mario Kart 10 would be a good celebration game I feel, and could serve as a no-brainer holiday season game if Nintendo have it ready. 3D Mario platformer around the Switch 2's launch also seems a possibility.

For his 35th we got the 3D All Stars collection, could we finally see Galaxy 2 HD next year as part of the celebrations? Maybe even a newer, re-release version of 3D All Stars with Galaxy 2 included.
if Switch sucessor actually launch in 2025, as lastest rumors seen to indicate, i could see Nintendo releasing the next 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9/10, to celebrate Mario 40th anniversary

He's already got supplemental Medicare so print out hats and fridge decals.

They'll probably release 3D All Stars again with different packaging. ): It's the only logical thing to do after the illogical decision to give those massively popular games a timed purchase window.

Kill off Luigi. It's time to complete the set. /s

Probably another collection, especially since it's probably gonna be so close to Switch 2 release date.

Obviously, the big event of Mario's 40th anniversary will be the 3D Mario game that'll launch alongside the Switch 2: Super Mario Galaxy 3.

3D Mario and new Mario Kart (either announced or released by the end of the year).

With Switch 2 coming next year, the next 3D Mario and Mario Kart are probably the big releases of the year. Whether they recognize the anniversary or not is a different question. I think they used Super Mario Galaxy 2 as the big 25th anniversary game, and that was an early year release, so they can market the next Mario as one even if it's March.

But they can focus the marketing entirely on the games dissociated from the anniversary, and have a celebratory "Super Mario Galaxy Remastered Collection" with Galaxy 1 and 2 and a new side game to come as cross gen in September.

I think they'll just make an emblem and add to 3D Mario and Mario Kart, because they only recognized the anniversary in September 2020 with the Direct despite Origami King already being out.

Super Mario Bros 40 which will include everything from 35, but be updated to add Lost Levels and only be playable for 40 days.

It will be big, with the delay of the Switch 2 into 2025, The Switch 2 will give us a 3D open world Mario, Super Mario Maker 3, and the next Mario Kart title and while the Switch 1 will give us some smaller Mario titles (I beg for Mario & Luigi to come back) and the return of Super Mario Bros. 35 and Super Mario 3D All-stars, and even our first look into the Mario Movie sequel.

There's no need to make celebrations for every anniversary. 10 or 25 years is fine because they are beautiful numbers but ¿40 or 35?
Generally, every five years is seen as a "milestone" anniversary year. Therefore, for Nintendo's two biggest franchises - Mario and Pokémon - they have consistent, dedicated celebrations for those milestones. It's a way to help maintain the quality perception of those two brands, by reminding people that they've been around for a long time, and are here to stay.

It's also been a longer amount of time since the 35th anniversary than I think people realize. It just feels like a shorter amount of time since we're currently in the same console generation (whereas we shifted from Wii U to Switch in between the 30th and 35th).

D3CIwt4WkAAzjr4.png:orig

it's finally his year.

Back
Top Bottom