• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What will be the Zelda release of this year?(Or will there be a Zelda this year?)

What's gonna be the 2024 Zelda game?

• Majora's Mask(3D or new remake)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Zelda linear game based on TotK(my dream)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marce-chan

Magical Girls <3
Pronouns
They/Them
2011: Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time 3D
2012: nothing
2013: Wind Waker HD, A Link Between Worlds
2014: Hyrule Warriors
2015: Majora's Mask 3D, TriForce Heroes
2016: Twilight Princess HD, Hyrule Warriors Legends
2017: Breath of the Wild
2018: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Cadence of Hyrule
2019: Link's Awakening
2020: Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity
2021: Skyward Sword HD
2022: nothing, intended release for TotK
2023: Tears of the Kingdom
2024: ?????

Zelda has been an annual franchise for awhile, and 2022 was the only year on the Switch era without a Zelda title released, but that's because Tears of the Kingdom was supposed to come that year but was delayed.

That makes me think:
a) there was probably a Zelda title aiming for 2023 before Tears of the Kingdom was delayed;
b) if they wanted to take a rest in 2023, then there'd be a Zelda game aiming for 2024.

I don't know exactly what it could be, I think it's due time for a new 2D Zelda since Link's Awakening turns 5 this year, and ALBW turned ten last year. But maybe being a new game gives it more prestige to come next year with new hardware as the next 3D game is still years away? If Tantalus started working on something after Skyward Sword HD, they'd already have plenty of time(in fact double of the time that SS HD took). Will they do a double pack of WW HD and TP HD? Will they touch up TP more and release "Twilight Princess Remastered"? Will they go back to the first since they released the last 3D Zelda in 2021, and make Ocarina of Time (3D) HD? Hyrule Warriors 2? Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War? New spin off? Let me know what you think!!!

Personally hoping for a brand new non-remake 2d Zelda, but the likelihood of that could really go either way imo. Especially after ALBW (which I adored) I think we need a truly new 2d title with no sequel baggage.

I could see them throw out WW and/or TP to fill a release gap. Such a remaster would be an easy 2-3 million sold and helps pad the numbers for a quarter. Not seeing anything else this year though besides NSO releases.

I'm torn between new 2D/top-down Zelda, and WW and/or TP. My hunch is those are the next two "Zelda things", but I'm not sure which makes more sense to put out this year and which makes more sense for 2025

My heart says new 2D is this year, my head says the WiiU remasters get ported this year

I think Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD both hit this year with the Switch 2 delayed as a way to bolster the holiday a tad. But maybe they can save them for 2025 if both Metroid and Donkey Kong arrive.

I'm not completely convinced that we'll get a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD double-pack, but I feel like we're bound to get at least one of them for the holiday slot. Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask double-pack would be a thing of beauty, though. And a new 2D game? I'd lose my absolute mind during the reveal trailer, it's been far too long.

2022 was the only year with no Zelda/HW game so I'd be very susprised if they held back WW and TP yet again when this is looking like a pretty barren year. There is geniunely no good reason to not have them out in the coming months.

I don't think there's a 2D Zelda currently in the works but of course I could be wrong.

I think we see one of Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD, I don’t think we get both, they’ll want to keep one back to release next year/year after as it’s going to be a while till the next brand new Zelda.

I'm confident if we get WWHD and TPHD it will be at the same time, as a double pack. 39.99 on their own on the eShop, or 59.99 as a bundle/physical like Pikmin 1 + 2 which is 29.99/49.99.

Skyward Sword was a more substantial revamp and more importantly, barely anyone had played it. WW and TP are older, more popular games and the remastering job is already done, even the UI can stay intact as Switch and Wii U share pretty much every button.

Skyward Sword was a more substantial revamp and more importantly, barely anyone had played it. WW and TP are older, more popular games and the remastering job is already done, even the UI can stay intact as Switch and Wii U share pretty much every button.
The difference between the sales in the original WW and SS is fairly small (less than a million), so I don’t get where this “barely anyone played it” is coming from.

Well 2022 did have Majora’s Mask re-release on NSO, so technically there was something Zelda that year.

This year I’d expect a remaster of something. Probably the long awaiting TP and/or TWW. Though honestly with the Switch 2 just around the corner, I’d rather they not be on Switch and exclusive to Switch 2 so they’d be even better. I’ve waited this long, what’s another year or two for an even more improved remaster?

I'm split between a TOTK Warriors game, ports of WW and/or TP, a new 2D Zelda, and no Zelda.

We're due for a new Nintendo Warriors title and a new 2D Zelda. Meanwhile, although I've never seen a credible rumor that WW/TP ports were actually developed for Switch, I suspect those are games that could have been pulled together in the last couple years as they started to plan out the gap between TOTK and the next 3D Zelda. Finally, depending on the rest of the lineup this year, maybe they don't need the Zelda brand or feel it's better saved for Switch 2.

I'm going to say a new 2D Zelda and that TOTK Warriors will be saved for the first or second year of Switch 2, like Fire Emblem Warriors. I absolutely could see Nintendo wanting to save a new 2D Zelda for the midpoint between 3D games, but maybe taking advantage of Switch's large install base while they can is the right move, following a new 2D Mario in 2023.

They could easily announce ports of TP and/or WW HD as filler titles. The next new Zelda is likely being saved for 2026 as a Switch 2 title, which I'm expecting to be a top view game, probably with a similar style to the LA remake.

I can totally see them having no Zelda release this year, but to me using WWHD and TPHD as filler titles is a no brainer. Both seem very high in demand both online and off - I've had conversations with colleagues and friends who wish they were on Switch as they never picked them up on Wii U and they would be perfect for that specific demographic. Getting at least one out in the second half of the year would be smart to plug the gap left by the Switch 2 delay, then you'd maybe have the other next year as part of the typical 12-18 month overrun support a la the tail end 3DS titles. My worry is that they'd do something silly with them like make them limited time releases, make them digital only, or base them off the original GC versions instead of the Wii U ones.

A new original Grezzo made 2D Zelda.

If not original, it will be a remake.

I'm pretty positive. 5 years since Link's Awakening.

My reasoning: The time is right. + Grezzo's next title is likely Switch only and they won't release it after the Switch 2 comes out early next year. So this holiday makes the most sense to me.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a new Hyrule Warriors (TotK-based or not), but it feels a bit too early for that.

It's 2D Zelda's time to shine. Not a remake. It's gonna be a new one. I have nothing to back this up. Only vibes.

Guys, we already know of a game releasing this year that stars the protagonist and namesake of a Zelda game! I'm only half kidding as a reminder to play or replay Cadence of Hyrule.
d8b8ade5c84704e3e5c31bcf3f491844437d3f78b2b8366125038ab2e417dd7e

There will be no Zelda release this year

but voted A 2D Zelda remake cause I want to and I think it's doable considering the last one was in 2019.

I'd love a brand new 2D Zelda -- but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are the only games in the franchise I have yet to play so, selfishly, I'd like those for the Switch sooner rather than later...

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Master Mode Quest

WW/TP are the most obvious releases but I wouldn't be surprised if there is no Zelda release at all this year.

edit: as a sidenote, the soundtrack release for BotW was announced one day before its first anniversary. If the pattern (more or less) holds, we're less than a month away from a TotK announcement.

Last edited:
I think we'll get WW and/or TP this year.

I'm just not entirely confident they'll be a package deal where we get both for $60. I could see them charging $40-$60 for each.

He's what I think we'll get, and a counter argument for each thought:
  • Entirely new 2D Zelda game – we’re due a new 2D Zelda game. A counterargument I could offer is that, maybe for Nintendo, one 2D Zelda game per generation is enough. Though we did get two 3D Zelda games for the Switch, but we could argue that TOTK was the exclusive one, compared to BOTW which was multiplatform.
  • A 2D Zelda remake game – it has long been speculated that, after Awakening, that the Oracle games would be the next in line to receive the remake treatment. I can see it happening, but maybe an argument against it would be that getting another 2D Zelda remake after Awakening could be a bit too much.
  • Hyrule Warriors the Imprisioning War – Long speculated as well. Age of Calamity had a very nice reception, for a Dynasty Warriors iteration of TOTK would also be more than welcomed, especially when there are concepts in the game that weren’t further developed, plus Tears never got DLC. A counterargument would be that, maybe to Nintendo, they don’t want to keep building an universe from this version of Hyrule (BOTW, AoC, TOTK).
  • Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD – We might get one of them this year, or not. Who knows. What I’m sure of is that Nintendo can comfortably sell each one separately.
  • No new Zelda content this year.

I don't think we'll get anything Zelda this year. I think they'll save a new Zelda for the Switch 2 year 1 so they can get something Zelda on the system relatively quick. While they could drop WW and TP HD this year as filler titles, I don't think they will need to as I think there will be other games this year that can serve that purpose (like ports of Prime 2 and 3, and a Luigi's Mansion 1 port).

My guess if it's not the WW/TP HD ports, it'll be some kind of lower budget multiplayer spinoff ala Triforce Heroes. I could see it being an NSO/Eshop only title.

I still dont think Nintendo has the mindset that they are planning for a Zelda game every year but since there's so many projects revolving around the franchise there's going to be many games releasing for it which helps obviously. If they really did plan to have it a yearly franchise then they have a chain reaction every time a game gets delayed like what happened to both botW (multiple times) and TotK. Which would mess up the plan.

As for something Zelda this year, sure why not. I was hoping for a brand new 2D Zelda but currently not feeling it and I dont really think TP/WW is coming either.
But a spinoff, NSO additions, a remasters/remake of a 2D game I could see happening.

Definitely not banking on it though :p

I know they released Oracle of Ages ans Seasons on NSO, but sooner or later I think they will give these a games a remake similar to how Link's Awakening was handled, I feel like that might be the next side project

tune in next year for the Year of Tingle

Kinda feels like at this point WW/TP are going to be saved for the first year or two of Switch 2. That platform probably won’t have a new 3D Zelda until the mid-latter part of its lifespan, so Zelda fans will need something to entice them onto the new system in the meantime.

Kinda feels like at this point WW/TP are going to be saved for the first year or two of Switch 2. That platform probably won’t have a new 3D Zelda until the mid-latter part of its lifespan, so Zelda fans will need something to entice them onto the new system in the meantime.
If the next Legend of Zelda game comes out during the console's fourth year in the market, I can perfectly see Nintendo releasing a 2D new/remake Zelda game during the first year; WWHD second; TPHD third

A switch remaster of Four Swords Adventures, I say this because I've been wanting to replay and it and finally broke down and got my GameCube out and did, so now would be the perfect time for Nintendo to screw me over.

I feel this year will be a "off year" for both Zelda and Kirby. Nintendo will stay focused on bringing back long forgotten IP's, Another Code and Endless Ocean should be just the first two of them.

2025 should see Air Ride, TP and WW as a part of successor's (and current Switch's) GCN remaster line.

My hot take is that Zelda as an annual release is a fake thing. It's just a popular IP that happens to regularly get spin-offs and remakes and the annual release thing was a coincidence for a while. I don't think we're getting anything.

I know they released Oracle of Ages ans Seasons on NSO, but sooner or later I think they will give these a games a remake similar to how Link's Awakening was handled, I feel like that might be the next side project
I also think they will happen eventually but I believe they will do ALttP first, it would make more sense imo.

My hot take is that Zelda as an annual release is a fake thing. It's just a popular IP that happens to regularly get spin-offs and remakes and the annual release thing was a coincidence for a while. I don't think we're getting anything.
iirc It was actually something Aonuma said he wanted to do. Make Zelda an annual series using rereleases and spin-offs. I don't think this line of thinking came from the fans. But it's clear from 2022 that they haven't managed to keep it up, so I would say it's not a priority for them.

Oracle remakes would be so dope.

Winter in Oracle of Seasons + Link’s Awakening artstyle + OLED = Oh my god!

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. Same goes for some of Nintendo's "patterns".

iirc It was actually something Aonuma said he wanted to do. Make Zelda an annual series using rereleases and spin-offs. I don't think this line of thinking came from the fans. But it's clear from 2022 that they haven't managed to keep it up, so I would say it's not a priority for them.
It was still an expression from Aonuma, though. Not an official statement clearly communicating that they're comitting to it, which is honestly something they can do with Zelda: serialize it to the level of Mario and release a lot of content for it throughouth an entire console generation.

I've voted for what my heart wants, which is a new 2D Zelda. Yoichi Yamada, a long-time Zelda developer, is the only long-standing Zelda team member not credited on Tears of the Kingdom (he was credited on both Link's Awakening and Breath of the Wild). I'm choosing to believe that, much as Shiro Mouri was given a crack at the helm to refresh 2D Mario, Yamada is in the director's seat for the next 2D Zelda. Several key figures from the Link's Awakening development team only had minor roles in Jet Dragoon at Grezzo, from what I can tell, so I'll assume it's an EPD 3 x Grezzo joint.

My prediction with even less of a basis in reality is that it will be a spiritual successor or even sequel/reimagining to/of Adventure of Link. Please understand.

Back
Top Bottom