• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club What Was Once Considered The Worst 3D Mario's Is Now Considered One Of The Best: Happy 10th Anniversary To Super Mario 3D World!

that’s just patently untrue
Yeah I’ve seen this a lot, you had to blow in the game pad to move platforms, and touch platforms to pull them out of the wall. Some levels could not be beaten with a pro controller alone due to this

Is there really a bad 3D Mario?

I don't know about bad, but Sunshine is pretty close. 3D Land, Galaxy 2, and Bowser's Fury are all kind of middling to me, though they have their moments for sure.

64, Galaxy, and 3D World are masterpieces though, and Odyssey is great.

It certainly did use the gamepad, even if the features weren't mandatory for completing the game. It supported things like using the touchscreen on elements/enemies and blowing into the mic.
It also had a number of Captain Toad levels as a sort of test for the full Captain Toad game.

Damn, even in a thread meant to celebrate 3D World’s 10th anniversary people jumped right in to continue shitting on it. This game will never know peace 😩

Anyways for me personally I adored the game even back on Wii U, and the Switch release made it even better. I prefer it far and away more than every sandbox 3D Mario, and I’m kinda bummed that after Odyssey’s success we’ll mostly likely never get a Mario game in this style again.

Oh well, 3D Kirby might fill that spot. If things go the way I think they will, I may end up being more of a Kirby fan than a Mario fan.

This was literally never considered worse than Sunshine or 3D Land. There was a backlash at reveal because

1. 3D Land had… just come out
2. 3D World didn’t use the Gamepad at all
3. It was clear that 3D World was not a groundbreaking title that would save the WiiU.

Nintendo kept releasing pretty expected sequels to 3DS and Wii games that didn’t use their new console even slightly and it was very weird.
Wasn't 3D Land kinda rushed? Or impacted by the 2011 earthquake, from what I heard?

Would explain why it turned out the way it did.

I think that the music in 3d world is just fantastic. I regularly listen to it outside of the game. Its just so catchy and jazzy, and bowsers theme is the best it’s ever been
Me too! I listen to it all the time. I love the jazzy era of Nintendo OSTs like this, Sticker Star, Color Splash and MK8.

Me too! I listen to it all the time. I love the jazzy era of Nintendo OSTs like this, Sticker Star, Color Splash and MK8.

This and its underwater variant are probably my favorite Mario tracks, along with the select screen of SM64 and Dire Dire Docks.

It's always water, man. And it's kind of ironic because I almost always dislike the water stages lol, but 3D World is a wonderful exception. The beach levels are beautiful in this game.

Back
Top Bottom