• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club What Was Once Considered The Worst 3D Mario's Is Now Considered One Of The Best: Happy 10th Anniversary To Super Mario 3D World!

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
super-mario-3d-world-i20732.jpg

here's to one of the best Mario games

This was literally never considered worse than Sunshine or 3D Land. There was a backlash at reveal because

1. 3D Land had… just come out
2. 3D World didn’t use the Gamepad at all
3. It was clear that 3D World was not a groundbreaking title that would save the WiiU.

Nintendo kept releasing pretty expected sequels to 3DS and Wii games that didn’t use their new console even slightly and it was very weird.

The WiiU was a console where a lot of Nintendo devs seemingly just wanted to make better graphics, bigger scope sequels to their last game and Nintendo’s hardware designers made a bafflingly weak system that included a very expensive feature almost none of their developers knew how to use.

Great game though. Would love a sequel from Retro or NST or Purple Lamp.

Is there really a bad 3D Mario?
My memory is that people were more disappointed with what it wasn't rather than the game itself being bad. People were disappointed with it as a follow-up to Galaxy and as the Wii U's big 3D Mario game. It was perceived as ebbing closer to the new smb series feel and not having the grandiose feel of Galaxy. Not too dissimilar to the discourse surrounding Tropical Freeze not being Metroid.

This game reminds me of Use Your Illusion I because I listened to that album while playing in 2013

This was literally never considered worse than Sunshine or 3D Land. There was a backlash at reveal because

3. It was clear that 3D World was not a groundbreaking title that would save the WiiU.

Nintendo kept releasing pretty expected sequels to 3DS and Wii games that didn’t use their new console even slightly and it was very weird.

I dunno, while it obviously got critical acclaim at launch and after people played it, I very distinctly remember a period of people pre launch who were adamant it wasn't even a "true 3d mario adventure" at all because there was a flagpole at the end and it was stage based ala NSMB. I know for certain that was my mindset at the time, as coming off the high of Galaxy 2 and the disappointing blandness of 3D Land, this just felt like... Multiplayer 3D Land.

In the end it pretty much feels like what should have been the actual Wii U launch game as it would have easily crushed NSMBU to oblivion (as much as I do love Luigi U), taking the 2D mario concepts and perfecting them in a simple 3D space and being a ton of fun to play (Switch port being even more polished). But it had nothing close to the sandboxy or groundbreaking 3D level design of prior system-defining 3D marios and people definitely had merit to being annoyed at this game when the prospect of a true evolution to 3D mario was shoved aside.

I was never on this 3D World bad train. happy 10 years to one of the GOATs

you can go back to my 2013 GotY ballot on the old site (starts with an N and ends with F) and I had it ranked #2 below Etrian Odyssey IV if you want receipts. the only thing that changed was at the time I said it's real good and only Galaxy 1 and 2 are better than it. I've changed my stance to it being better than Galaxy 1 but not as good as Galaxy 2. 3D World is such a fantastic game holy smokes.

Never hated it personally, but I get the negative reception. It just simply wasn't what Nintendo, let alone the WiiU, needed at that moment.

Folks are arguing about the title, but for a lot of people it's not wrong.

3D World is an absolutely fantastic game, but also absolutely not what I wanted at the time. After the increasingly-linear Galaxy games and 3D Land, paired with 4 NSMB, I initially felt pretty burned by how the new "big 3D Mario" was yet another A-to-B course-clear game that looked to be playing things pretty safe, and not the 64/Sunshine-successor I'd been waiting over a decade for. I'd say it was really only with the Switch port, in a post-Odyssey landscape, that I could properly appreciate 3D World for what it was instead of kinda resenting it for what it wasn't.

Last edited:
When I initially played it with friends that I played NSMBU with, we were somewhat disappointed in it. But then we had let the title screen play out one day and while watching that the game (for some reason) clicked at that point for us and we had a pretty good time with the game. I put it up there with Galaxy 2 as the best 3d Mario.

When I first played 3D World (I got a Wii U in spring 2014 alongside it) I was a little underwhelmed by it. The focus on isometric platforming among other things just didn't click like I hoped they did. But overtime I replayed it and really loved how easy it is to pick up and play. Since then it became my favorite 3D Mario but the Switch enhancements really refine it and let it shine. It really nails the joy of playing SNES-era platformers but in 3D. I'd even say it's as good or better than SMB3 in the course-based Mario platformers depending on my mood. A fantastic game and one of my all time favorites.

It still has the best soundtrack of any Mario platformer in my opinion, besides maybe Galaxy 1:

Still waiting to be able to play as Rosalina in another Mario platformer. She's my go-to in this game.

I don’t consider this game to be the best 3d Mario, but it was the stepping stone for the true best 3d mario which is Super mario 3d world + bowser’s fury.
I’ve always enjoyed the WiiU original but the switch port took an already amazing game and made it incredible.
This game takes galaxy 2 and cuts all the filler and boring part of that game and with that you’re just left with an amazing stretch of level after level with close to no filler, and together with the dive, better ground pound jump and increased speed added in the switch port you pretty much have a 3d sandbox style mario moveset in more linear levels like the galaxy games, to me it’s the best of both worlds. Together with Mario 64 it’s the mario game I’ve played the most and it’s my favorite 3d Mario and Mario games in general, the perfect package.

Played it for the first time on the Switch and loved it. I was absent from gaming for the whole Wii U gen, so i didn't knew it got such a cold reception. Unfair. It's a great game

I probably actually would rank it as the worst 3D Mario if I made a list, but I still think it's a very good game. Just not my preferred style of Mario game personally. I did appreciate the switch version a bit more for what it was, since we'd had Odyssey come out.

Amazing game that also got one of the best Deluxe ports to Switch. It really was great to see 3DW given its due this generation between the 3D World style in Mario Maker 2 and with 3DW capping off the Mario 35th anniversary celebration.

As time goes on, this game continues to rise in my esteem, and I feel it even beats out Wonder and Odyssey as my favorite Mario platformer on Switch.

It was never considered bad by anyone with a brain once it came out, it just fell victim to the dreaded curse of resembling a 2D platformer too much, a genre which Nintendo fans notoriously hate.

Friday November 20th was probably one of my favorite all time gaming launch days. 3DW and Link Between Worlds. Truly sublime.

I remember people disliking the first showing in the sense that it looked like more 3D Land, but once that one hype trailer dropped, people were onboard.

I mean second worst is still kinda bad at least compared to other 3D Marios. It at least has a personality, which is more than 3D Land can say.

Echoing everyone else in this thread, it was never considered a bad 3D Mario. Just not the right one at the time.

The last thing Nintendo needed was a relatively safe and linear 3D Mario. Especially after how impressive Galaxy’s take on linear 3D platforming was.

It's been really cool playing games like Wonder or especially Forgotten Land and seeing so much 3D World DNA. I hope we can keep getting 3D World likes.

Still my favorite Super Mario game overall since 2013. It took everything I liked about the 2D games and put them in a 3D environment. Still the unofficial direct sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3 in my book. Haven't figured it out if the recently-released Super Mario Bros. Wonder actually tops it, but it doesn't really matter I think; both are games that fulfilled my decades-long wishes - one in 2D, and the other in 3D.

nail on the head.

it's a good game, but it wasn't the "next gen" 3D Mario, 64/Sunshine/Galaxy successor, it should have been. the backlash was more than justified.

I still find it pretty bad. I prefer 3d land. The problem is that my eyes won’t let me play 3ds anymore.

Bowser’s fury however is amazing.

Fantastic game and a tremendous platforming achievement. Few games can boast a post game and a post-post game.

It’s a testament to the fact that 3D or not, linear or not, Mario games lives and dies with creativity and ideas.

Just like with Tropical Freeze, the backlash had nothing to do with game quality. It can be an amazing game and still not be the game you wanted/the console needed.

The Switch port is great because it removes all that baggage from the game and also gives us one of the coolest Mario project with Bowser's Fury.

Basically it looked a lot less ambitious than the Galaxy games. And considering 3D Land wasn't viewed as something extraordinary, people thought the same of 3D World.

But it was never considered bad, people changed view before it released as they saw more trailers and it was generally appraised.

Tried it again recently and still find it the worst. The run button simply makes no sense in a 3D mario and the movement seems very restricted compared to Galaxy or Odyssey. A shame, because it sure is pretty.
Liked 3d land though, but the medium matters

As long as Mario Sunshine exists... no 3D Mario will rank lower than it.

I remember people disliking the first showing in the sense that it looked like more 3D Land, but once that one hype trailer dropped, people were onboard.

yeah, not much to add. This thread title feels like bait, or an overzealous fan that overstates the hate it got...

------------------------

The game it self was never my jam, and outside of 2 levels at a demo stand i never played it.
Im not saying with a word that its a bad game. and if somebody would ask me if i would rather play that or replay Sunshine/3D Land , i would say play this one, since i didnt play it yet.

My problem is, that its the expansion on 3D Land, and i was done with that formula after 3D land.
It does not seem as bland as that one, and it seems like the more direct translation of the 2D gameplay to 3D then the other 3D Mario games.

But that is the problem. The 2D ones are their own thing, the 3D ones did their own thing, this style of gameplay does not deliver for me on both fronts. i don't find it as fast paced and clear as the 2D gameplay, and its not scratching the itch of exploration and navigation at all.
It also seemed way to save as a product. (design, marketing, artwork, concepts)

If the question is if i would rather replay 64 or play this, then im thorn, cause i would be curious just to play it, but after a first playthrough i would probably rather replay 64.
And overall all im just not interested in paying for this experience,
there are games that would come before that if we talk discounts.

The only caveat i have to give is: bowsers fury looks fun and interesting to me. but i wont pay 60€ for a 3-5h expansion. if they release bowsers fury as a 15-20€ download, then i would probably buy that.

10 years…good lord I feel ancient! I didn’t get this game until early 2014, but I remember going to the midnight launch of the xbox one. Both this, a link between worlds, and the xbox one came out on the same day! My friends got xbox one’s, one friend got this game, and I grabbed a copy of a link between worlds. We went back to my friends house, we played maybe an hour of his new xbox one and then the next several playing super Mario 3d world in multiplayer. It was was one the signs that I needed to get a Wii U, mario kart 8 is what finally pushed me over. I had a ps4 at the time that I got on launch day. I was horribly bored with it after I finished infamous second son, so I traded it to gamestop and used the money to buy the wind waker edition Wii U, super Mario 3d world, and mario kart 8. Best trade off I’ve ever made. The ps4 eventually got to a good place with game releases, but my Wii U kept me entertained for years

Back
Top Bottom