• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What should be the main third party game in the future Switch 2 first trailer? (PLEASE READ STAFF POST)

What will be the main third party game in the Switch 2 reveal trailer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Staff Communication
Hi everyone, just a quick reminder that discussion of Cyberpunk 2077 is banned on Famiboards, per our Banned Content List in Research & Development. Please remember our banned content list when recommending/discussing games in this thread. Anyone who posts about it, or other banned content, further will get feedback or a ban.

- meatbag, MissingNo, xghost777
Is there a quick way to find the staff post instead of scrolling? They aren't threadmarked as far as I can see

The Gamescom reports didn't mention anything about 60 FPS Matrix. Only that it was using DLSS and RT. It was the Breath of the Wild demo that was running at a higher framerate, presumably 60.

Regardless, the mere fact that they were showing off that heavy demo to devs indicates their intentions for courting third-party support.

The PC port of BGIII runs 28-40 FPS on Steam Deck with FSR2. The game has DLSS already, and with console optimization, a Switch 2 port should be within reach. Even if features may need to be cut like co-op.
My mistake, sorry for the confusion. But even still, the fact that they had the matrix awakening at all shows how powerful this console is going to be

As far as we know Red Dead Redemption 2 has been long in development for Switch. It's been even rated in Brazil for Switch last year. I highly doubt they'll scrap that port after years of development, and even receiving a rating.

BUT it could also appear on the Switch 2 trailer, as an improved port over the PS4 version, with later coming a PR saying it's coming for Switch 2 and compatible with 4K* and to OG Switch in dynamic 720p.

Aonuma specifically talked about having played it and it being an inspiration for TotK, just like Skyrim for BotW, so I think it has a good chance at being in the reveal trailer.

Elden Ring was a massive seller and GOTY 2022, is getting an expansion in 2024, and was a cross gen game that wasn't exactly meant for last gen consoles. I think it's a huge contender at being spotlight on the Switch 2 reveal trailer.

Final Fantasy VII Remake and Resident Evil 4 are, in my mind, locked to come to Switch 2. I just don't know if they'd be shown at the reveal trailer... FF VII is a good contender in my mind, but RE4 being a horror game to me kinda limits its chances. I'd be super happy to be wrong tho!!! It was a timed exclusive GCN game over all and one of the most iconic games ever, and also a looker.

GTA V I'd be pissed if it appeared, tbh. It's a PS360 game after all. It's ok if it appears alongside other games - preferably cross gen or current gen games that wouldn't be possible on Switch (even tho I'm kinda bummed that a game with that much homophobia and misogyny would be chosen...), but I mean, taking even cross gen games that are first and foremost current gen like RE4, Elden Ring and etc would already bring the "it's just a PS4 eww" discourse. I can't even think of the discourse if the spotlighted game is a PS3 remaster(which was a pretty big deal for Switch with Skyrim).

GTA VI, in my mind, has absolutely no shot. The damn game isn't even announced for PC. It's definitely coming for PC as a late port and COULD get a late port for Switch 2, but late 2026 at the earliest. I don't think it's getting ported tho - GTA V had last gen versions to pull from, the more modernized version wouldn't be a super hard down port either, but it never got ported because of storage. I think GTA VI might be like... 200gb?? They didn't bother with GTA V that was way easier...

Monster Hunter Wilds is a Capcom game, and unless they are making a Rise 2 to release on Switch 2 and Switch and PC shortly later(which I think is unlikely), it's an absolute lock for Switch 2. But... Being an unreleased game might hurt its chances.

With Microsoft possibly going third party (or at least more multiplat), I think Hi-Fi Rush, presumably scrapped for Switch 1, a critically praised game that looks very appealing to Nintendo audience, is a very good candidate. But y'know what?? Starfield would be a pretty great deal. Not only showing how close Xbox/Bethesda are to Nintendo but also that super massive current gen games are possible on the hardware.

I felt that their presence at Gamescom and showing developers a demo of The Matrix Awakens running on targeted specs was a statement of intent. This mattered a lot because two years of negative momentum preceded the Wii U launch, and the list of partners was barren compared to the one for the Switch. To build on their 140m+ success, creating as positive a perception as possible is imperative. Showing XB1/PS4 ports won’t do that, even if they’ve had performance boosts for their respective successors, because we’ve seen the goalposts shift to “Yeah, but those are last gen games we’ve already played” - Same thing happened with Batman: Arkham City on the Wii U, although to this day, it remains the highest acclaimed superhero title.

GTA5 being on that list is actually embarrassing. That ship has sunk, especially as a lead third-party launch title, and when the discussion has shifted full throttle to GTA6. Drawing a false equivalence with Skyrim doesn’t help here, either, because that was a remastered edition, and more a statement that Bethesda were on board with a Nintendo platform after a long absence, and in part because they wanted that game on the Wii U. Bethesda also expressed an enthusiasm for the Switch pitch, and said at the time that they looked forward to putting more games on it. That isn’t the case for R*, as they’ve been present with LA Noire and RDR1. GTA6 is the statement it needs, and I’ve said elsewhere that I believe Nintendo wants that game, and will endeavour to get it on their platform. Also, bear in mind that it needs another audience, as R* won’t have PS/XBox owners to double-dip, and that already puts it some tens of millions down from the last GTA title. I would also rule out RE4 Remake and Red Dead Redemption 2 because if any of those games come at all, they should be mere formalities, and NOT the height of aspiration for new Nintendo hardware.

Elden Ring is a cross-gen title, and it’s a lock-in at some point because Nintendo doesn’t put out a tweet acknowledging it before its launch “for the love” - Its forthcoming DLC means it’s in the discussion, and a complete edition could be the one. COULD be. I’m confident it’ll come, but I don’t have it down as a lead title.

So, What else is there? I have a feeling that Dragon Quest 12 is a strong possibility for a lead third-party Japanese title, and the reason we haven’t seen it yet is because it’ll make its premiere at a Direct or conference. Monster Hunter: Wilds is a close second for me in this area because unless Sony has a domestic exclusivity deal on it, that game will not achieve its true sales potential at home without the existence of a Nintendo version. LADGaiden should be a formality, but I don’t see it because I don’t have a great deal of confidence in Sega currently, or feel that new hardware would change the toxic attitude of their studio’s developers.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a lock-in, and should be the lead Western third-party launch title, in order to create a very positive perception if GTA6 can’t be confirmed on the reveal. If they can show it with a split screen mode, that would be some flex because the XSS didn’t have it. The banned-on-here CDPR title is another strong contender in this area because Nvidia had done some work with it - I believe it’s in the discussion, and more so, if it can be shown with ray tracing and a better performance than the XB1/PS4 versions. Don’t wish to say any more than that on it because I want to be as mindful as possible. I wouldn’t rule out EA Sports, specifically Madden, because the Switch reached this point without it, and now would be a good time for it to make a comeback. At the same time, I remain sceptical because of the reality of that publisher’s anti-Nintendo culture and industry politics.

Most of all, I feel that collectively, we must move beyond a handful of XB1/PS4 ports that aren’t on the Switch. They won’t move the needle in meaningful ways for Nintendo, or turn a 140m+ success into one that can push closer to 200m, or at least eclipse the PS2 lifetime sales with confidence. PS5/XS games are the aspiration. We know this because the successor has DLSS/neural unit and RT cores on chip, as well as Ampere and Lovelace elements - These things wouldn’t be there if Nintendo aspired to XB1/PS4 ports, and it will never not be wild to me that the gaming community and discourse continues to disrespect them like this. Still, let’s not forget that Nintendo recruited an ex-PS employee for their Developer & Partnership Relations. That says to me that they will push harder for certain titles, and I believe they’ve answered the third party question “Why buy the Nintendo version?”, too. So, fans can, and ought to dare to expect more. 💕✨
Great post! Switch showed decent 3p support, but two big limiting factor were the distance from the FHD twins and the general disbelief in Nintendo success following the WiiU. Now, with Switch 2, rumoured specs put the system within close proximity of Series S in raw specs, without considering better technology (most notably DLSS and Ray reconstruction), and the system comes off of the Switch, a potentially unprecedented success console (since it may eclipse PS2 when all is said and done). Now is the time for third parties to get aboard. If they don't, then they truly have no excuse other than 'we just don't want to'.

I, too, feel confident that we should get notably improved (current gen) third party support for Switch 2 compared with Switch 1 - assuming, of course, that Switch 2 doesn't somehow turn into a massive bomb WiiU style.

My mistake, sorry for the confusion. But even still, the fact that they had the matrix awakening at all shows how powerful this console is going to be
I agree.

It was probably the only report about the Switch 2 I was genuinely surprised by. I was definitely anticipating a demo of an existing Switch game and a third party title, but not specifically that heavy demo. Nintendo being that upfront and confident about their hardware is exciting. As said earlier, it's a statement of intent.

There can't be a 1:1 'Skyrim on Switch' this time around. The novelty of running full-fat console games on a sleek handheld has diminished. The Switch has a reputation of receiving late downgraded third-party ports and being out-of-sync with contemporary home consoles. Marketing for the Switch 2 should aim to position it as a viable, more flexible alternative to the PS5/XSX, a miniaturized current-gen device.

A carousel of cross-gen and current-gen only games with critical acclaim in the past few years, as well as hotly anticipated upcoming titles, would be the best move. The takeaway from this reveal should not be 'this is a device I can buy to play old games portably'. It should be 'this is a portable current-gen console'. Considering Nintendo and Nvidia R&D'd this custom chip with a very specific featureset, it would be a waste of time to have it end up in the same position as Switch 1.

It would be the most insane console reveal trailer if they showed: CoD Warzone 2, FFXVI, RDR2, GTA VI and BG3, games that were thought impossible to run on Nintendo hardware and then, at the end, the fabled port of Halo MCC, running at 4K60. That would send the message that Nintendo's back to having full Third-Party support on it's platform, and if pre-orders open that exact same day, it would be out-of-stock everywhere within MINUTES.

Of course, that's impossible, but I can dream, at least.

I agree.

It was probably the only report about the Switch 2 I was genuinely surprised by. I was definitely anticipating a demo of an existing Switch game and a third party title, but not specifically that heavy demo. Nintendo being that upfront and confident about their hardware is exciting. As said earlier, it's a statement of intent.

There can't be a 1:1 'Skyrim on Switch' this time around. The novelty of running full-fat console games on a sleek handheld has diminished. The Switch has a reputation of receiving late downgraded third-party ports and being out-of-sync with contemporary home consoles. Marketing for the Switch 2 should aim to position it as a viable, more flexible alternative to the PS5/XSX, a miniaturized current-gen device.

A carousel of cross-gen and current-gen only games with critical acclaim in the past few years, as well as hotly anticipated upcoming titles, would be the best move. The takeaway from this reveal should not be 'this is a device I can buy to play old games portably'. It should be 'this is a portable current-gen console'. Considering Nintendo and Nvidia R&D'd this custom chip with a very specific featureset, it would be a waste of time to have it end up in the same position as Switch 1.
Absolutely. Nintendo has historically always followed up on major success’s with failures in comparison, and I think nintendo wants to avoid this for the next console. Having a cracked third party lineup would be the kind of major upgrade from switch 1 that would push people to go for a new console, even if some first party games are duel releases. I mean could you imagine telling someone they can play Elden Ring portably on the same console they can play Breath of the wild at 60fps? And I can’t think of a better time for a third party centered strategy with Xbox probably going third party

Man, that's a great question, but not an easy one to answer, I think. All those games would be important "gets" for the system (and honestly, if what we've heard of the console so far is true, they all should come to Switch 2 sooner or later), but I don't know if there's a single title that would be as significant for Switch 2 as Skyrim was for the OG Switch. You would probably need more than one title to convey the same message.

On that note, FromSoft has barely supported the Switch, so Elden Ring appearing on the presentation would turn some heads. Similarly for Like a Dragon, the developers spent the last 7 years talking about how they were not putting the franchise on Switch, so having it on the successor as soon as possible would be quite an statement. And Baldur's Gate 3 could fill the "Big, recent, critically acclaimed western title with worldwide appeal" position.

It would be the most insane console reveal trailer if they showed: CoD Warzone 2, FFXVI, RDR2, GTA VI and BG3, games that were thought impossible to run on Nintendo hardware and then, at the end, the fabled port of Halo MCC, running at 4K60. That would send the message that Nintendo's back to having full Third-Party support on it's platform, and if pre-orders open that exact same day, it would be out-of-stock everywhere within MINUTES.

Of course, that's impossible, but I can dream, at least.
Well, there’s still the likes of Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Battlefield, Like A Dragon, or a Ni-Oh, FromSoft IP, Tomb Raider, Mafia or Bioshock, THEN getting past the stage of “test” releases, but I see what you mean, and wouldn’t discourage you from dreaming of these possibilities!! There are still certain games which avoid Nintendo platforms, although Nintendo fans play them and have often paid the $399-499 SPIT charge for it (Secondary Platform Inconvenience Tax). COD would appear to be the first brick in this particular third party wall - If that brick falls, then I’m confident the rest will surely follow. There’s still much work to do, and Nintendo mustn’t become complacent about it, BUT it’s still a huge step forward nonetheless. This is why I say that creating a positive perception is imperative.

Only the biggest and the best for the Switch 2 reveal.

Elden Ring
Baldur’s Gate 3
Monster Hunter Wilds
Ace Attorney 7
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Red Dead 2
Resident Evil 4

I think DQ12 will get a big push in the Japanese reveal, in the west it’ll be stuntin singin something like Call of Duty or GTA.

I must say that I agree with most of you, the two games that would impress the most are Elden Ring and Baldur’s Gate 3. Elden Ring is still (I’ve just finished my second run the other day) one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played, and it would be a dream to play it on the go in crisp 1080p in an 8 inch screen. I drool only thinking about it. Baldur’s Gate 3 is clearly the game of 2023 and one of the most important games in its genre, ever. Having it portably and running better than the Steam Deck would be a very nice look for the Switch 2.

I felt that their presence at Gamescom and showing developers a demo of The Matrix Awakens running on targeted specs was a statement of intent. This mattered a lot because two years of negative momentum preceded the Wii U launch, and the list of partners was barren compared to the one for the Switch. To build on their 140m+ success, creating as positive a perception as possible is imperative. Showing XB1/PS4 ports won’t do that, even if they’ve had performance boosts for their respective successors, because we’ve seen the goalposts shift to “Yeah, but those are last gen games we’ve already played” - Same thing happened with Batman: Arkham City on the Wii U, although to this day, it remains the highest acclaimed superhero title.

GTA5 being on that list is actually embarrassing. That ship has sunk, especially as a lead third-party launch title, and when the discussion has shifted full throttle to GTA6. Drawing a false equivalence with Skyrim doesn’t help here, either, because that was a remastered edition, and more a statement that Bethesda were on board with a Nintendo platform after a long absence, and in part because they wanted that game on the Wii U. Bethesda also expressed an enthusiasm for the Switch pitch, and said at the time that they looked forward to putting more games on it. That isn’t the case for R*, as they’ve been present with LA Noire and RDR1. GTA6 is the statement it needs, and I’ve said elsewhere that I believe Nintendo wants that game, and will endeavour to get it on their platform. Also, bear in mind that it needs another audience, as R* won’t have PS/XBox owners to double-dip, and that already puts it some tens of millions down from the last GTA title. I would also rule out RE4 Remake and Red Dead Redemption 2 because if any of those games come at all, they should be mere formalities, and NOT the height of aspiration for new Nintendo hardware.

Elden Ring is a cross-gen title, and it’s a lock-in at some point because Nintendo doesn’t put out a tweet acknowledging it before its launch “for the love” - Its forthcoming DLC means it’s in the discussion, and a complete edition could be the one. COULD be. I’m confident it’ll come, but I don’t have it down as a lead title.

So, What else is there? I have a feeling that Dragon Quest 12 is a strong possibility for a lead third-party Japanese title, and the reason we haven’t seen it yet is because it’ll make its premiere at a Direct or conference. Monster Hunter: Wilds is a close second for me in this area because unless Sony has a domestic exclusivity deal on it, that game will not achieve its true sales potential at home without the existence of a Nintendo version. LADGaiden should be a formality, but I don’t see it because I don’t have a great deal of confidence in Sega currently, or feel that new hardware would change the toxic attitude of their studio’s developers.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a lock-in, and should be the lead Western third-party launch title, in order to create a very positive perception if GTA6 can’t be confirmed on the reveal. If they can show it with a split screen mode, that would be some flex because the XSS didn’t have it. The banned-on-here CDPR title is another strong contender in this area because Nvidia had done some work with it - I believe it’s in the discussion, and more so, if it can be shown with ray tracing and a better performance than the XB1/PS4 versions. Don’t wish to say any more than that on it because I want to be as mindful as possible. I wouldn’t rule out EA Sports, specifically Madden, because the Switch reached this point without it, and now would be a good time for it to make a comeback. At the same time, I remain sceptical because of the reality of that publisher’s anti-Nintendo culture and industry politics.

Most of all, I feel that collectively, we must move beyond a handful of XB1/PS4 ports that aren’t on the Switch. They won’t move the needle in meaningful ways for Nintendo, or turn a 140m+ success into one that can push closer to 200m, or at least eclipse the PS2 lifetime sales with confidence. PS5/XS games are the aspiration. We know this because the successor has DLSS/neural unit and RT cores on chip, as well as Ampere and Lovelace elements - These things wouldn’t be there if Nintendo aspired to XB1/PS4 ports, and it will never not be wild to me that the gaming community and discourse continues to disrespect them like this. Still, let’s not forget that Nintendo recruited an ex-PS employee for their Developer & Partnership Relations. That says to me that they will push harder for certain titles, and I believe they’ve answered the third party question “Why buy the Nintendo version?”, too. So, fans can, and ought to dare to expect more. 💕✨
The reason why I put GTA V and not VI is because my list consists of games that have already been released (or are about to) but didn’t make it to the current Switch. You know, like Skyrim was not on the Wii U and then it was later ported to the Switch. I also didn’t put Monster Hunter Wilds for the same reason even if I personally think it’s totally coming to the Switch 2.

Last edited:
TBH because of Steamdeck and co, the whole "Classic home game on the move" thing with Skyrim is pretty dead now.
Only something new and exclusive would have a real impact IMO.

My dream for the day of the release, Nintendo showing:
  • MGS III Delta, IV and V
  • GTAs: IV, V and VI
  • Resident Evil Remakes: II, IV and V

I still think it'll be Madden. I know some people try to scoff at Nintendo having such an American focused IP among it's first shown Switch 2 games from a 3rd party, but it's the biggest annual sport IP missing from Switch. Showing it off sends a clear message "we're pushing to get everything"

Back
Top Bottom