• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What Nintendo franchise do you think will be the next to go dormant?

Smash got an iteration this time and will undoubtably get one next console as well, even if they go in a new direction with it. It sells too well not to. I'd be hard pressed to consider that going dormant, even if the wait between titles will be longer than last time. Usually it takes six or seven years anyway.

They could pull a MK8 Deluxe and port it with all the DLC for the next Switch, maybe with a few extra old stages that haven't made it in or something like that.

I guess that Star Fox is already out, same with Mario & Luigi. And Pikmin, who knows what plans they have with it, if Pikmin 4 exists or not.

Were I a betting man?
The Musou/Warriors spin-offs are gonna go for a long nap.
Yoshi side-scrollers are probably going to be a long while before we see another.
Sparks of Hope will be the last of the Mario + Rabbids title, at least for a long while.

They could pull a MK8 Deluxe and port it with all the DLC for the next Switch, maybe with a few extra old stages that haven't made it in or something like that.
They could. I think MK8D showed up when it showed up to get software on the Switch asap, and has pushed future Mario Karts down the line by being so wildly successful, so while I don't see the parallels lining up with Smash, they could. But if a series is getting ports (at least full retail ones), is it really dormant?

pikmin 3 deluxe has been the best selling pikmin game ever and last we checked seemed prime to sell 1m in japan and like 3m worldwide . I have no worries about pikmin 4 being even remotely a do or die situation especially when it’s beloved enough by miyamoto to get cameos in the theme park land . Rhythm heaven sells well in japan, and while there is the matter of Tsunku stuff , I don’t think nintendo would wait exceedingly long to make a new one (and as of now Tsunku is still up to make a new one ). Now that mario guy , i would worry about , hasn’t gotten a new kart game or whatever i heard in 8 years .

Edit: I got threads mixed up , but my point mostly stands . For the most part I consider dormant to be about 10+ years and for that I would say “kid icarus “ as the only one that counts that isn’t a joke (the mario kart statement is a joke )

Last edited:
By dormant I am assuming it is has had a new or re-release some time in the past five years but it will be MIA for at least the next system.

Mario Maker- 2 seemed to have sold less than what Nintendo wanted. I don't see how they can make a third game that will get people excited unless they go all in on a 3D version. This one is probably sitting on the back burner indefinitely.

ARMS- I could just as easily see a sequel as I could see this being a one and done.

Advance Wars- Reboot is a make or break situation. If it does enough I could see Nintendo greenlighting a new game. If sales aren't hot enough. back to the wishful thinking category.

Mario & Luigi- Alpha Dream is no longer in the picture so this series might be on an extended vacation.

Yo-Kai Watch- This one ain't going dormant. This franchise is being taken behind the shed to be put out of it's misery.

Sadly Pikmin. Pikmin 3 was my favourite WiiU game.

Sparks of Hope will be the last of the Mario + Rabbids title, at least for a long while.
Because the team is moving to Nintendo and making a strategic Paper Mario utilizing a motley crew of partner characters, right?
... Right?
I feel like Paper Mario is gonna replace traditional Zelda.
They just had to ditch that horrible, horrible combat system and just make it an action rpg.
Now that would be interesting. I'm not sure they'd position it as such long term, but I could see something kind of like that happening.
They could even bring along partner characters to serve the same function as items.

Given how well 3DX has reportedly done, in addition to the series having Miyamoto's favor, I'm kind of surprised by the different suggestions Pikmin might hibernate. Aside from lengthy development periods, that is; that's what might get it.

Nintendoland, Captain Toad, StarFox, and Kid Icarus.

Mario Maker. I don't think it sold enough for Nintendo to keep investing in it and they'd probably want to focus on original 2D mario games from now on.

They could do a Zelda Maker. Instead of levels, you build (small) dungeons. OG Zelda, LTTP, LA and Minish Cap styles. Don't even pretend that wouldn't be awesome.

Because the team is moving to Nintendo and making a strategic Paper Mario utilizing a motley crew of partner characters, right?
... Right?
Everyone needs something to get them out of bed at night.
No, it's more likely that we haven't heard the last of bad press for reprehensible behaviour coming out of Ubisoft and Nintendo likes to avoid bad press as much as possible.

I'm gonna be a little bold and say Yoshi. Yeah, it's a consistent 2 million seller, but that's also been the ceiling recently; it hasn't done substantially better since 2007. Those are fairly solid numbers, I know, but I have this feeling Good-Feel has seemingly moved on and that leaves the IP without a developer. EPD (or EAD back then) only ever made Island, Story, and Touch & Go, which was over 16 years ago. Artoon did Topsy-turvy (Universal Gravitation outside NA) and Island DS, and they're long gone. Arzest did New Island but they're more of a support studio now that the 3DS is dead. And that brings us to Good-Feel, who's developing their own projects now.

Could Nintendo keep the wheel turning and find another developer? Sure. But who? And how soon?

Tomodachi. Nintendo doesn't have to include same-sex relationships in the next installment if there is no next installment.

No, it's more likely that we haven't heard the last of bad press for reprehensible behaviour coming out of Ubisoft and Nintendo likes to avoid bad press as much as possible.
All the shenanigans taking place over at Ubisoft is actually the reason for suggesting the team might leave there in the first place. Add that the lead seems to be something of a big Nintendo fan, and that leads to the second part.
But, yeah, the whole situation over there is just sad.
I'm gonna be a little bold and say Yoshi. Yeah, it's a consistent 2 million seller, but that's also been the ceiling recently; it hasn't done substantially better since 2007. Those are fairly solid numbers, I know, but I have this feeling Good-Feel has seemingly moved on and that leaves the IP without a developer. [...]

Could Nintendo keep the wheel turning and find another developer? Sure. But who? And how soon?
Or, and I'm not entirely certain what team they would get for this but hear me out, we pivot to a new 3D Yoshi: Yoshi's Dioramic World.

Neither Star Fox nor Pikmin will ever go dormant as long as Miyamoto lives (Knocks on wood).

I'm not sure if I could call any Nintendo franchise "dormant" since if even frikking Famicon Detective Club can make a comeback and appear in the West no less then everything is on the table.

Isn't a prodigy like actually good at what it does? SF seems like a spoiled brat to me lol
Star Fox 64 remains one of the coolest video games to this day, if that and SNES were the only games in the series then it'd have a much better reputation than being a hodgepodge of weird stories, arduous gimmicks, and
furries

Quoted by: Yzz
Star Fox 64 remains one of the coolest video games to this day, if that and SNES were the only games in the series then it'd have a much better reputation than being a hodgepodge of weird stories, arduous gimmicks, and
furries
Not denying that, the series has just failed critically and commercially(?) during the last 20 years.

I'm gonna be a little bold and say Yoshi. Yeah, it's a consistent 2 million seller, but that's also been the ceiling recently; it hasn't done substantially better since 2007. Those are fairly solid numbers, I know, but I have this feeling Good-Feel has seemingly moved on and that leaves the IP without a developer. EPD (or EAD back then) only ever made Island, Story, and Touch & Go, which was over 16 years ago. Artoon did Topsy-turvy (Universal Gravitation outside NA) and Island DS, and they're long gone. Arzest did New Island but they're more of a support studio now that the 3DS is dead. And that brings us to Good-Feel, who's developing their own projects now.

Boy this post is gonna look silly when Good-Feel reveals their grand 3D Yoshi's Island game, with a heavy exploration focus just like the 2D games.

But no honestly I have thought this too, if Good-Feel do something different then that leaves Yoshi without a developer, the same problem DK has had after Retro and Rare focused on other games. Personally I love the Yoshi series, so it would be pretty disappointing to see it go into hiatus after it finally started getting good games again after so long.

If the next Smash Bros isn't starting it's development for the next console immediately, I can see it taking another 5-year nap like it did between Melee to Brawl and Brawl to 4. They probably need the time to let their new franchises grow, the well of potential new Nintendo characters I do think is running dry barring the obvious franchise staples.

I sadly agree with Yoshi, Crafted World tried but it was no Wooly World, and before that it was pretty dire for Yoshi. I would be interested in what Good-Feel has planned next, but it would need to be something really special.

Style Savvy. I know their were rumors of a new one but everyday it feels less likely. I really hope I’m wrong

Back
Top Bottom