• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic What Kinda Gimmicky Launch Title Do You Think We're Going To Get With The Next Nintendo Console?

I feel conflicted on this whole issue of accessibility. One one hand, if you are able to open the game up to more people, without compromising its creative vision or quality, then that's fantastic. But I feel like "accessibility" is just being used as another one of those cynical, corporate scams focused more on high profit margins and virtue signaling, rather than actually making things acessible.

Where have I seen takes like this before...

I feel conflicted on this whole issue of identity politics. One one hand, if you are able to open the game up to more people, without compromising its creative vision or quality, then that's fantastic. But I feel like "idpol" is just being used as another one of those cynical, corporate scams focused more on high profit margins and virtue signaling, rather than actually making things acessible.

I feel conflicted on this whole issue of putting black people in medieval fantasy settings. One one hand, if you are able to open the game up to more people, without compromising its creative vision or quality, then that's fantastic. But I feel like this is just being used as another one of those cynical, corporate scams focused more on high profit margins and virtue signaling, rather than actually making things acessible.

I feel conflicted on this whole issue of forced diversity. One one hand, if you are able to open the game up to more people, without compromising its creative vision or quality, then that's fantastic. But I feel like "diverse" is just being used as another one of those cynical, corporate scams focused more on high profit margins and virtue signaling, rather than actually making things diverse.

Etc etc

The part about how accessibility can possibly compromise someone's creative vision is a real classic.

I feel conflicted on this whole issue of accessibility. One one hand, if you are able to open the game up to more people, without compromising its creative vision or quality, then that's fantastic. But I feel like "accessibility" is just being used as another one of those cynical, corporate scams focused more on high profit margins and virtue signaling, rather than actually making things acessible.

What people also tend to forget is that Nintendo has historically been a very creator driven company. Their developers and designers typically have a very specific experience they want to give the user, and often that means locking down the options to create a focused experience. Can Nintendo do better on this front? Yes, but that's on a game-by-game basis. Something like Zelda lends itself well to flexible control and accessibility options, while something like Ring-Fit Adventure benefit from less options.

It's also important to know that Motion Control =/= inaccessible necessarily. Not all disabled gamers are the same, and some of them probably able to use motion controls just fine. It's a very complicated issue that shouldn't have a one-size-fits-all solution.
I don't think you've understood the point of Mendinso's posts at all.

There's no rational reason to be fearful of accessibility "compromising creative vision"; if anything i'd argue that this view in itself is a cynical perspective on the matter. To site one high profile example, recent Sony first-party games like The Last of Us series have made notable strides in accessibility that are provably not just "virtue signaling"; they make a difference, and Nintendo are rapidly falling behind them. Celeste allows for a pretty wide selection of options to customise the experience and yet the game remains praised for it's tight design and difficulty; they are not mutually exclusive concepts.

It's funny to cite Ring Fit as a game "benefiting" from less options when it's one of the few Nintendo games I can actually think of that has bothered to even consider accessibility options for physical disabilities.

ehzumedueaahmpb.jpeg

It is absolutely not something you can approach with a one size fits all mentality; that's why there is zero downside to having as many options available as possible, so that individuals can fine-tune their experience to suit their needs.

this thread has unexpectedly made me very interested in analog stick wii tennis

would love to see a modder or developer try to make it work

I understand your frustrations. But I'm just saying there are developers and companies who are just jumping on this issue to make a quick buck, and there are also those who are genuinely making an effort to make games acessible. There's both sides to this issue.
Who? Be specific

I don't think you've understood the point of Mendinso's posts at all.

There's no rational reason to be fearful of accessibility "compromising creative vision"; if anything i'd argue that this view in itself is a cynical perspective on the matter. To site one high profile example, recent Sony first-party games like The Last of Us series have made notable strides in accessibility that are provably not just "virtue signaling"; they make a difference, and Nintendo are rapidly falling behind them. Celeste allows for a pretty wide selection of options to customise the experience and yet the game remains praised for it's tight design and difficulty; they are not mutually exclusive concepts.

It's funny to cite Ring Fit as a game "benefiting" from less options when it's one of the few Nintendo games I can actually think of that has bothered to even consider accessibility options for physical disabilities.

ehzumedueaahmpb.jpeg

It is absolutely not something you can approach with a one size fits all mentality; that's why there is zero downside to having as many options available as possible, so that individuals can fine-tune their experience to suit their needs.

Remember the complaint that always comes up when a woman shows up in Call of Duty, or whenever someone asks why medieval settings rarely ever feature black people - it's always the same shit about how obviously x minority group doesn't belong there, the devs are being forced to compromise their visions or are virtue signaling for money. This just that line of thinking but reheated in the microwave

What people also tend to forget is that Nintendo has historically been a very creator driven company. Their developers and designers typically have a very specific experience they want to give the user, and often that means locking down the options to create a focused experience. Can Nintendo do better on this front? Yes, but that's on a game-by-game basis. Something like Zelda lends itself well to flexible control and accessibility options, while something like Ring-Fit Adventure benefit from less options.

It's also important to know that Motion Control =/= inaccessible necessarily. Not all disabled gamers are the same, and some of them probably able to use motion controls just fine. It's a very complicated issue that shouldn't have a one-size-fits-all solution.

You suck lol, shut up

I understand your frustrations. But I'm just saying there are developers and companies who are just jumping on this issue to make a quick buck, and there are also those who are genuinely making an effort to make games acessible. There's both sides to this issue.

Nobody's trying to insult you here though. I'm all for accessibility if the game benefits from it, and I believe most games would benefit from these options. I just think each game should have its own options tailored to them. Every game is unique and every disabled gamers is unique.
You're the last person who should be telling a disabled person that "not every disabled person is the same"

No one's threatening your toys, go touch grass loser

I agree that more options for different play levels, the better. But I also believe in tailoring those options to the specific game. An action game for example, might need different options than a racing game. That's what I was trying to get at. There are ways to make a game accessibile, without compromising a creator's vision. It's not an either or scenario.

That's true too. You can still retain a game's uniqueness, while opening it up. I wasn't to poo poo making things acessible. I was just bringing up the fact that each game requires a different approach.

Insane to see someone accusing companies of "trying to make a quick buck" using accessibility options. Like, making a quick buck off... disabled gamers by giving them options to play their games??? Completely braindead post

Insane to see someone accusing companies of "trying to make a quick buck" using accessibility options. Like, making a quick buck off... disabled gamers by giving them options to play their games??? Completely braindead post
I can't believe that companies are trying to make a quick buck here. It is entirely unprecedented since the industry is a charity

Last thing I will say about this:

As a Queer man, we wouldn't be cool with anti-Queer shit in our games. We wouldn't be cool with anti-Trans shit in our games. We would push that shit back and not allow for it. So why the god damn push back against accessibility for the Disabled gamers? These options would even benefit able-bodied and able-minded gamers.

That's it. That's all. Do NOT talk over people like us when we say something is a problem and how we feel about a very ableist society that also has overlap with our hobbies.

To add onto this, implementing accessibility options for anything (various places, television, movies, and of course, video games) takes away time, resources, and money. If anything, we're a liability for profits. Not to mention, many of us (myself included) have such limited income due to how poor Social Security, SSDI, SSI, and Welfare gives us in terms of monetary support. It's unlivable. There is no actual capitalistic reason they would support us, because it takes up resources at the end.

This is also especially why their comment on virtue signally is absolutely bizarre to me.

I agree that more options for different play levels, the better. But I also believe in tailoring those options to the specific game. An action game for example, might need different options than a racing game. That's what I was trying to get at. There are ways to make a game accessibile, without compromising a creator's vision. It's not an either or scenario.
I'm sorry if I'm joining a dogpile but I understand neither what you're saying nor why you're saying it

MagiCarbo is kind enough to give us a free clown show

EDIT: Also just in case people are like "I'm gonna say the next ableist thing in this thread" I will be mean to you until you cry if you do that

Staff Communication
Hey folks. We on the moderation staff want to make this perfectly clear: our unanimous stance is that accessibility options are crucially important for video games, and that it is simply unacceptable to downplay or dismiss their importance. We want Famiboards to be a safe, comfortable place to discuss video games, and it's our duty as mods to act on anything that could hurt, or cause discomfort. We want to thank those who reported the user, and we encourage anyone and everyone to report any content they find that they think goes against our values. -Derachi, Red Monster, Josh5890, PixelKnight

What has to go through the mind of someone who sees a disabled person asking for more accessibility, and then refer to those options as "virtue signaling"?

I think I know the answer! When someone whose identity is forged around Nintendo sees that while Microsoft and Sony tend to have more accessibility options, Nintendo does not, perhaps they think something like

"It's good that Nintendo doesn't have these actually. The companies that do have them must be wrong"

Of course this completely ignores disabled people in the first place, but what's that matter to someone who thinks Nintendo can do no wrong?

I can't speak for disabled people, but it seems obvious that they should be listened to first and foremost when it comes to this. More accessibility options opens games to more people, and that's literally only a good thing.

What has to go through the mind of someone who sees a disabled person asking for more accessibility, and then refer to those options as "virtue signaling"?

I think I know the answer! When someone whose identity is forged around Nintendo sees that while Microsoft and Sony tend to have more accessibility options, Nintendo does not, perhaps they think something like

"It's good that Nintendo doesn't have these actually. The companies that do have them must be wrong"

Of course this completely ignores disabled people in the first place, but what's that matter to someone who thinks Nintendo can do no wrong?

I can't speak for disabled people, but it seems obvious that they should be listened to first and foremost when it comes to this. More accessibility options opens games to more people, and that's literally only a good thing.
I was talking about the options in God of War/TLOU pt1 in a thread here-

I’m struggling to see how consideration for any of that could make a game worse, or how it wouldn’t be worth considering for any genre.

TBH I'm just like, "there's no way this guy's coming back in two weeks and behaving after he said all that dumbass shit"

TBH I'm just like, "there's no way this guy's coming back in two weeks and behaving after he said all that dumbass shit"
If you disagree with the length of the ban, our reasoning for banning someone, or really have any sort of opinion about moderation actions (or inactions), please feel free to head over to the Mod Feedback thread. We always welcome community feedback, and we’re happy to discuss our decisions. We strive to be completely transparent with the community. We want folks to feel like their voices are heard!

In the interest of not derailing this thread any further, if anyone wants to talk about this ban, please head over to the feedback thread. Thanks!

Well, now that... that is over, I can actual answer the thread premise!

I do expect the next hardware to launch with one first-party exclusive (probably alongside a notable cross-gen title too; I think that cross-gen period will last awhile); but I don't think we're in for a tech demo focused on showcasing the new controller this time. I don't think the next model of Joy-Con or Pro Controller will shift all that much from what we have now; same form factor, maybe improved triggers ala DualSense or some other minor feature like a built in microphone. Won't really bring much to table, and so won't need something like Wii Sports or 1-2-Switch.

I think we'll see a return to the style of launch title focused on showing off the hardware capabilities; this will be Nintendo's first 4K capable console after all, so what better time. Super Famicom had Super Mario World and F-Zero; Nintendo 64 had Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 (and Saikyo Habu Shogi, of course); and GameCube had Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race Blue Storm; it's been a long time. Even Nintendo Land, while obviously on the consumer end a showcase of what the GamePad could do, was internally more a test of the new LunchPack engine they were developing and the versatility in genres it could support. I don't think it's impossible that the next 3D Mario is being saved for this next hardware at this point; I think an incredibly stylized cartoony game is an even better showcase of hardware than something uber realistic and gritty.

It's gonna depend entirely on if the new console actually has a new gimmick and how it actually works, and if it is actually even considered a "new" console that requires a "gimmicky launch game", i feel.

Well, now that... that is over, I can actual answer the thread premise!

I do expect the next hardware to launch with one first-party exclusive (probably alongside a notable cross-gen title too; I think that cross-gen period will last awhile); but I don't think we're in for a tech demo focused on showcasing the new controller this time. I don't think the next model of Joy-Con or Pro Controller will shift all that much from what we have now; same form factor, maybe improved triggers ala DualSense or some other minor feature like a built in microphone. Won't really bring much to table, and so won't need something like Wii Sports or 1-2-Switch.
I agree completely on the controller front. In fact, I'm sort of expecting the new Switch to keep compatibility with the current joy-cons, even if new joy-cons (with, say, Hall effect sensors for the sticks) are available.

I think a mic array built into the unit and potentially a camera or two are the most likely hardware "gimmicks."

"Want To Switch?"

It's the sequel to the hit switch launch title we've all been waiting for. In this game you play half of a mini game before the game pauses to bring up a menu where the only prompt is "Are you sure you would like to quit?" And the only option you have is "yes". At that point it boots you back to the homepage and you play something else instead.

Next console will be the Nintendo Switch 4DS, complete with a game that allows you to actually travel through time and kill Hitler in the crib or ride a T-Rex.

I have fever since a few days so I am probably weird thinking and I know this standard time travel jokes about killing a bad person as a child or baby. But it always appears very strange and cruel to me, like child murder... really? If you have the chance would it not be better to make it happen that the child is raised by better parents/different circumstances so it can become a decent person?

I agree that the “gimmick” for the next one will just be 4k. Alternative controllers will be special use and bundled on a case by case basis like Ring Fit.

Remember when one of the big Switch reveals was when Koizumi could, like, shake his controller and feel ice cubes in it? I’m still waiting for that experience! I can’t actually feel HD rumble! Are my hands too coarse to appreciate the delicacy of the sensation? I feel like those people who can’t tell the difference between 30 fps and 60.

Also, I’m hoping that the gimmick is joy cons that are comfortable to use. Any ideas how they could be made more ergonomic while also retaining “pass and play” functionality? Joy cons that can change their shape! That would be a nice gimmick.

Also, I’m hoping that the gimmick is joy cons that are comfortable to use. Any ideas how they could be made more ergonomic while also retaining “pass and play” functionality? Joy cons that can change their shape! That would be a nice gimmick.
just for fun I'm working on a concept that tries to address this somewhat

Nintendo Land 2: now with ray tracing

I don't really see much of a gimmick for the next system. or rather, I just can't think of one that they haven't already tried before. and I don't think they want to do something where they have to spend on dedicated hardware only for it to go unused, like the IR camera on the switch. it has some uses, but really, if it wasn't for Ring Fit, that should should be gone with the successor

just for fun I'm working on a concept that tries to address this somewhat
Very cool. I would love to see what you come up with, if you ever want to share!

Seems kind of tricky…switch has a lot of diverse functions, and Nintendo obviously thought that some compromise in comfort was worth the trade off. (Though maybe Nintendo play testers have square hands. My 3ds doesn’t exactly melt into the palm, either!)

I don't think 4k visuals would work as a gimmick. Things like F-Zero and Wave Race Blue Storm had visuals as their "gimmick" because they were the most powerful consoles of their day and the visuals were genuinely impressive. The Switch Pro probably won't be more technically powerful than a PS5 and even if it is, the jump in technical power wouldn't be noticeable enough to be that same type of "Wow"

Now if Switch Pro is like New 3DS then I guess that would be sufficient, but did new 3ds even have exclusive titles at launch?

I have fever since a few days so I am probably weird thinking and I know this standard time travel jokes about killing a bad person as a child or baby. But it always appears very strange and cruel to me, like child murder... really? If you have the chance would it not be better to make it happen that the child is raised by better parents/different circumstances so it can become a decent person?
Yeah, it's just a standard time travel trope. I wouldn't explore it too deeply myself.

Real talk, since it was brought up earlier: I would absolutely be down for another Nintendogs game. Surprised we didn't get a follow up from Nintedogs + Cats...

I guess the question is what will Switch 2's gimmick be, if anything, that isn't just "Switch but MOAR power"? Unless Nintendo decides to go all in on vr I can't really imagine what Switch 2 could do while keeping it's critical form factor in tact. Perhaps something gimmicky built around some Nintendo version of haptic feedback on joycon 2.0 the way the joycons hd rumble was used in 1-2 Switch?

It's going to be one of those voice AIs (like Siri) that progressively becomes friendlier the more you plan. It eventually becomes toxic (boots the switch straight onto their software, deleted your saves for other games) and possessive, then just plain evil and you can must defeat it by throwing your Switch against a wall

I predict a zero bezel - all display handheld (with real buttons) for the next gen so a true Nintendogs experience can finally be had. I want my puppies to fall asleep on my analog sticks!

Nintendogs + Cats was the gimmicky game for 3DS launch.

I'd hate to derail this topic with an argument, but I can't get over how bad of an idea I think this would be. It's a recipe for getting a bunch of smudges on your screen because of how much your fingers would glaze over the screen. Almost no games other than a small handful of exclusives would even use the space because everything else would be designed to not incorporate the buttons and sticks into the UI. It probably makes the console more fragile.

I'd hate to derail this topic with an argument, but I can't get over how bad of an idea I think this would be. It's a recipe for getting a bunch of smudges on your screen because of how much your fingers would glaze over the screen. Almost no games other than a small handful of exclusives would even use the space because everything else would be designed to not incorporate the buttons and sticks into the UI. It probably makes the console more fragile.
I'm pretty sure he's joking lol

3DS gimmick launch game was the AR game and Face Raiders, it's true it's true.
I don't think I have a prediction for a game that uses the gimmick of a console that hasn't been announced yet, but I would love the return of Street Pass/Spot Pass and something that utilizes that more heavily. Another Nintendogs could be it but as much as I would love that, a new IP would be more interesting to me.

I still want a game that manages to include Languages/language learning in a fun way. Maybe you would note down vocabulary and sentences in the game and then you could trade them with Streetpass/Spotpass. Like giving your friends access to your flashcards. The more I think about this langauge game idea the more I want to flesh it out and make it myself

Miyamoto already gave us the key when he talked about games that could benefit from higher resolution. The new switch device has nothing to do with TotK.

It will launch with Pikmin 4.

The gimmick is that the higher resolution output makes visible what was hitherto obscured: that the Pikmin themselves command proportionally miniature Pikmin.

Play on the OG switch and you won’t see them at all, thus depriving yourself of 50% of the gameplay mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom