• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is your favorite TV show series ending?

In no particular order:
  1. Meanwhile - Futurama
  2. Saul Gone - Better Call Saul
  3. Whenever You’re Ready - The Good Place
  4. Felina - Breaking Bad
  5. Sozin’s Comet, Part 4 - Avatar: The Last Airbender
  6. The Book of Nora - The Leftovers
I’m including Meanwhile because it was a perfect ending to Futurama. I haven’t watched the revival yet.

Both endings of Twin Peaks are pretty incredible imo
Countdown To Destruction Pt 1/2 - Power Rangers In Space
Lunar Eclipse - Moonlighting where the show continues its tradition of breaking the fourth wall, where the actor who played the character who arguably contributed to the end of the show, returned as an ABC executive cancelling the show as the sets are dismantled and taken away, as they try to convince him to let them survive but ultimately admit defeat

I genuinely think Gurren Lagann has the best TV finale I've ever seen. The final battle, the emotions, the animation, the denouement, it's all incredible stuff.

Runner up for me would be Cowboy Bebop. It's so iconic I don't even have to post it. But the music right before the ending, in the final battle, always gets me:

Third for me would have to probably be Dragon Ball GT. Despite an incredibly uneven production, the final arc of GT is, in my opinion, up there with the best arcs of DB/Z, and the sendoff to Goku is incredibly touching. Despite Toriyama's limited involvement in GT (he mostly designed some of the early characters and gave minor input), it certainly feels much more bittersweet after his passing.

Yu Yu Hakusho's ending always manages to make me bawl like a baby. Just seeing the characters one last time like this with Smile Bomb, it gets me:

I'll round this out with a mention that isn't anime: the Sopranos. Nothing needs to be said with how iconic its ending is, but here's a video anyway:

This is getting long so a few honorable mentions:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Sozin's Comit
The Wire - 30-
The Shield - Family Meeting
Futurama - The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings (Meanwhile is still a good ending, but of all of the Futurama finales, this one is still the best)
Star Trek: The Next Generation - All Good Things... (literally watched this one a few days ago!)

I'm gonna say the ending of the original Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks The Return and probably the 2 best pieces of television I've ever seen. Can't think of anything the even comes close in terms of last episodes.

Avatar The last Airbender (Obviously)
Young Royals (Series about a Swedish gay prince on Netflix not always having the best episodes but a great ending)
How I Met Your Mother (Unironically)
Great Pretender (Cool original Anime by Wit Sudio)
Neo Genesis Evangelion (Yes, the original ending)
Both endings of Twin Peaks

Probably Twin Peaks. Granted, both endings are very unsatisfying at first, but later on you can't help but respect the sheer power of Season 3 which concludes everything neatly and then throws the curveball which I'm still not sure I understand. Obviously big props to Kyle MacLachlan for portraying like 5 different characters in season 3, what a ride that was.

I've also started typing about how much I love the final battle of JoJo's part 3, but then I added "Part 2" into the mix and also realized Part 6 has some really fun decisions so the answer is "pretty much every JoJo finale save for part 5" I guess. Araki is really good at making you care about battles by not making them punchfests and instead logic puzzles for characters to overcome. DIO's World is like 4 episodes long but it never feels dragged out and is one of the funniest fights, even if the very end of it feels a little forced.

Also while it's been 10 years and I'm not planning on rewatching it, End of Evangelion is sublime. I'm afraid to rewatch the show because now that I'm older and understand more it'll probably hit me like a truck, but I still occasionally rewatch the End of Eva's final scene. Even if some context is gone from my head it's just a beautiful and haunting piece of animation with strangely upbeat music.

Probably Twin Peaks. Granted, both endings are very unsatisfying at first, but later on you can't help but respect the sheer power of Season 3 which concludes everything neatly and then throws the curveball which I'm still not sure I understand. Obviously big props to Kyle MacLachlan for portraying like 5 different characters in season 3, what a ride that was.
I want to watch it again but I need some separation from the actress that plays Lucy being a pedophile defender (in possibly the most disgusting way ive ever seen)

Top Five with some favorite clips from each:

- Saul Gone from Better Call Saul

- The Finale from Seinfeld

- Victory and Death from Star Wars: The Clone Wars

- Last Day of Summer from Phineas and Ferb

- Till We Compete Again from Pokémon The Series: XYZ

Twin Peaks for sure, can't really understate how intense all of the original airing of The Return was for me at the particular point in my life it came out, but that finale in particular physically/psychically affected me more than any other piece of media ever. everything from the start of that minutes-long overlay of Cooper's face in part 17 through to the end has such a profound feeling of offness that is like nothing else I've seen. I get why people clamor for yet another season, but I can't see how any further continuation of those events would do anything but diminish the finale's impact (though if Lynch wanted to do more I'd of course trust him).

i'll also shout out the recent finale of The Curse, which is simultaneously the funniest and scariest thing ever. it caps off the show's themes in a completely unexpected/unexpectable (but well-earned) way, and while I don't want to spoil any of the specifics, I think just getting to see such a nightmarish situation depicted onscreen is on its own a worthwhile reason to watch the rest of the (also very great) show

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, just echoing previous sentiments:

Scrubs: My Finale, Part 2 is as solid of an ending as you can get. Made the mistake of finding Peter Gabriel's "The Book of Love" on a 45 vinyl; put the needle on and then I couldn't stop sobbing uncontrollably after I got home.

And like others have said, Futurama's 'Meanwhile' really just drove everything home. I've been watching the revival, and I do look forward to the next season dropping in July, but that episode really gets to my core; a kind of bittersweet lament that everything kinda, sorta just works out in the end.

The Good Place I am definitely in need of a rewatch, but the episodes leading up to the finale's conclusion and the finale itself had me sobbing in a good way and are embedded in my mind.

Avatar: TLA, Breaking Bad, all good stuff.

We've all been blessed with some good televisionsmithing.

After such a harrowing journey and kind of worrying as the show went along to think about where it would end, I thought the finale to The Underground Railroad a few years back was something really special. True to itself and uncompromising in what it set out to say but still somehow hopeful, big recommend!

Both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul ended perfectly, in my opinion. The Wire wasn't necessarily perfect but it's a poignant conclusion I still think about a lot to this day.

Oh, and I like LOST and Evangelion's endings, too!

Avatar The last Airbender (Obviously)
Young Royals (Series about a Swedish gay prince on Netflix not always having the best episodes but a great ending)
How I Met Your Mother (Unironically)
Great Pretender (Cool original Anime by Wit Sudio)
Neo Genesis Evangelion (Yes, the original ending)
Both endings of Twin Peaks

I'm going to need an explanation.

(I'm the rare breed that actually likes that ending)

RiddRzB.gif

mUFMgoR.gif

aZepGId.gif

CoUkkJa.gif

HQ4bnID.gif
jd9y5nt.jpg

Both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul ended perfectly, in my opinion. The Wire wasn't necessarily perfect but it's a poignant conclusion I still think about a lot to this day.

I'm going to need an explanation.
I didn‘t really follow the series live, so I wasn‘t part of this internet meltdown when that ending aired. I watched the last season a few months later. Also it wasn‘t clear to me at the time how much it was hated.

I think it worked for me quite well because at that time I had to deal with losing a friend close to me too early. The show has I believe a strong message in this regard, with it was a great time as long it lasted, but at some point you have to move on, life is happening now.

It is something I can relate to greatly and I think the last two seasons of HIMYM really have some masterful scenes there. I mean much of the last episodes are the group dealing with saying goodbye while still be happy about the time they had (and have now). To the point that they have to acknowledge that they aren‘t this close friend group anymore.

When first time watching it, it didn‘t occur to me that the death of the mother could be seen that she was killed off so Ted can be together with Robin, I understood it more in the sense that he still was living in the past and now has to move on. He had to say goodbye and so had you as a viewer.

I understand that they wrote themselves in a bit of dead end situation with keeping that ending over all those years and I’m sure they planed it differently initially, but I get why it would have been important to them to end the show like this.

Did the message might get lost a bit somewhere? Was the ending too rushed and felt forced? Maybe. It was too much of a melancholic ending for what was essentially a Comedy Sitcom that relies on fast paced 24 minutes episodes. For many it felt like it came out of nowhere. Especially when you consider the last season was overall perceived not too positively by most people. I think it would have worked better if the last two episodes were a movie with more runtime or something. Still it worked for me well enough, so that it didn‘t impact the whole journey to that point.

Anyway, I get why people wouldn‘t like it, but I think the hatred for it is a bit of an overreaction and I am still surprised about the strong reaction people have to it to this day.

Last edited:
I didn‘t really follow the series live, so I wasn‘t part of this internet meltdown when that ending aired. I watched the last season a few months later. Also it wasn‘t clear to me at the time how much it was hated.

I think it worked for me quite well because at that time I had to deal with losing a friend close to me too early. The show has I believe a strong message in this regard, with it was a great time as long it lasted, but at some point you have to move on, life is happening now.

It is something I can relate to greatly and I think the last two seasons of HIMYM really have some masterful scenes there. I mean much of the last episodes are the group dealing with saying goodbye while still be happy about the time they had (and have now). To the point that they have to acknowledge that they aren‘t this close friend group anymore.

When first time watching it, it didn‘t occur to me that the death of the mother could be seen that she was killed off so Ted can be together with Robin, I understood it more in the sense that he still was living in the past and now has to move on. He had to say goodbye and so had you as a viewer.

I understand that they wrote themselves in a bit of dead end situation with keeping that ending over all those years and I’m sure they planed it differently initially, but I get why it would have been important to them to end the show like this.

Did the message might get lost a bit somewhere? Was the ending too rushed and felt forced? Maybe. It was too much of a melancholic ending for what was essentially a Comedy Sitcom that relies on fast paced 24 minutes episodes. For many it felt like it came out of nowhere. Especially when you consider the last season was overall perceived not too positively by most people. I think it would have worked better if the last two episodes were a movie with more runtime or something.

Anyway, I get why people wouldn‘t like it, but I think the hatred for it is a bit of an overreaction and I am still surprised about the strong reaction people have to it to this day.
That's a fair interpretation!

I can't speak for everyone who was disappointed, but my qualms with the ending were less to do with the death of the mother and more to do with the widespread disregard for any character development that occurred over the course of the series.
  • Barney (who I understand is irredeemable in a modern context but let's for a moment rewind the clock to 2014) has an arc that sees him evolve from a totally unrepentant scumbag to an actual human being that is capable of genuine love. But then he gets married and that's all gone because he just can't quit his vices!
  • The show cycles through Ted and Robin many, many times and shows exhaustively how the two just are not compatible in a romantic sense. But, nope! The whole story was actually about how Ted never stopped being into Robin. This totally invalidates several episodes including a very important one in season 9.
  • Lily's characterization in season 9 just kind of sucks, but the finale neither improved or worsened that. I just had to say it!

That's a fair interpretation!

I can't speak for everyone who was disappointed, but my qualms with the ending were less to do with the death of the mother and more to do with the widespread disregard for any character development that occurred over the course of the series.
  • Barney (who I understand is irredeemable in a modern context but let's for a moment rewind the clock to 2014) has an arc that sees him evolve from a totally unrepentant scumbag to an actual human being that is capable of genuine love. But then he gets married and that's all gone because he just can't quit his vices!
  • The show cycles through Ted and Robin many, many times and shows exhaustively how the two just are not compatible in a romantic sense. But, nope! The whole story was actually about how Ted never stopped being into Robin. This totally invalidates several episodes including a very important one in season 9.
  • Lily's characterization in season 9 just kind of sucks, but the finale neither improved or worsened that. I just had to say it!
Fair, I get that. I think for me this things were explained enough that the characters moved on over those years, so they were in a different place.

Ted had the love of his life, has kids and now he is open again for the possibility to get together with Robin again. Same was true for Barney and having his kid at the end.

Though I get that this could feel quite unsatisfying, especially in the context of it being a Sitcom. You usually don‘t wanna find out how characters you followed for years are drifting apart and making big life decisions in the last few minutes.

I guess for me it didn‘t had it that much of an impact or didn’t care too much because my enjoyment of the show came more from the subplots and the many cool scenarios and less from thar the story progression is consistent and all characters have a conclusion with a long lead up.

Last edited:
Probably Supernatural, if only because it premiered when I was like eleven and ended during pandemic. Something like 17 years. I kinda grew up with it being somewhat omnipresent. Skipped a lot of seasons, though eventually went back and watched the entire series. Just fond of them turning Jack into a God ass kicking machine and then then leaving "God" with no power in the middle of podunk Oregon (where I lived most of my life). I just thought "yeah, he's fucked". Best case he can hitch a ride and only lose his cash, maybe a tooth. Was a good ending to a show that ran for five too many seasons.

If cartoons count then Samurai Champloo takes it.

e: HIMYM is a good one too. Just for the sake of them showing Ted's true ass and it being a cop out all about him trying to convince his children (why do they care?) to be happy he wants to date a girl who he's a toxic relationship with for years. He's a sociopath and everyone wanted to simp for him, then just flipped. If you're that out ideas that's how to execute an ending.

Star Trek: The Next Generation

TNG started as a mediocre show with bad luck (the writer's strike first season did some serious damage to the back-half of the first season) that managed to become truly great. The last season was maybe running on fumes a bit.

But it was an era of "no story arcs." The expectation was that, for the most part, the status quo would be reset every episode. Characters didn't grow and change (much, anyway). It was "planet of the week" mostly.

Then along comes the finale - "All Good Things." It is a truly incredible episode of the show by itself. While I think some of the beats would go over a non-fan's head, the core story would be totally understandable and self contained to someone who didn't know the show. And it's a banger!

But it functions as a sequel to the very first episode, and retroactively manages to create a sort of meta-narrative that runs through all 7 seasons of the show, and gives them the perfect conclusion.

The modern TV era is a totally different creature, with episodes of most shows feeling like they don't stand alone in any way. But it's maybe the best ending of that era of television.

Yu Yu Hakusho. Say what you want about the three kings arc, but that final episode did everything right. Everyone getting back together, with Yusuke and Keiko at the beach was a perfect bow tying it all together.

Breaking Bad had an incredible finale. Watching that last season had a lot of edge of my seat moments. Also the gag ending they made for the blu ray was incredible and they went above and beyond for it.

Man, I've never seen or heard of twin peaks. I need to check this out.
It's one of the best series ever created, even if season two stumbles for quite a while due to studio interference. The way the first story arc ends is perfect and the way the second season ends is just mind blowing. The studio really had something on their hands and ruined it until Lynch got his hands on it again for the final stretch.
The third season is 18 hours of unfiltered David Lynch that doesn't let up for even a single second. It's a wonderful return to the world of the first two seasons, but does it's own thing entirely from beginning to end. I remember watching the final episode in the middle of the night (around 3 or so because I wanted to watch the episode as soon as I could download it) and literally screaming out loud in legit shock: "What the fuck?!" when it ended and caused people to wake up in house.
It'll probably never happen, but lord, I want season 4, not even to have closure, I want more of this stuff.

It's not a "grand finale to a story" type ending, but for a more episodic show I love Star Trek: The Next Generation's "All Good Things...". If you haven't seen it, without giving too much away Captain Picard seems to be bouncing between past, present, and future. This gives a good excuse to revisit things as they were back around episode 1, as well as a taste of a possible way things could play out, without locking themselves to anything for certain.

Stargate SG-1 did something somewhat similar with its "Moebius" episodes at the end of season 8, but then it ended up getting picked up again so it wasn't the series finale, even if it was still an end of an era with some major cast and story changes.

look I’m a hater in a lot of ways

and I think on principle Breaking Bad sucks shit

but Better Call Saul… the whole show, and that ending… it’s just fucking excellent. there’s no way around it.

I THINK I agree but I don't know if it's for the same reasons. Would you mind expanding on this?
hah, sure, but I don’t know if it’ll be a popular take around here

let’s see what kind of trouble this gets me in…

walter white sucks shit

compellingly horrible, sure, but the whole fucking crux of the show is him being extremely horrible to everyone around him and just obliterating every charismatic and interesting character he comes into contact with

like in addition to everything, they make him do something super fucked up in the first season without warning — I’m not repeating what it is here — and still keep writing it like there’s some possibility that he’s a sympathetic character instead of the fucking worst

the women in the show are NOT written well and pigeonholed into horrible little pockets

the show is more freewheelingly racist, and though it’s often positioned like “maybe possibly it’s supposed to be a criticism of the white people in question,” NONE of that is backed up by the way any non-white character is written

there’s so much else I could say about all the ways in which it’s shitty, but I’d run out of energy, lmao

and then you have Better Call Saul

which is given enough room to breathe and the gift of hindsight, mixed with extremely fortunate circumstance

Kim does an amazing job right from the start — and a role that easily could have gone badly is given much more room and attention

because of that, the gang has to work a little harder to remember that women are people

and to make sure they actually do that this time, they end up with way more women writers

not a panacea by any means. but an important component to it working here!

recognizing Rhea’s talent immediately has them reframe the core gag: they’ve said that this is when they really realized that Jimmy becoming Saul is a tragedy, and not something they needed to rush into for fanservice. the tension between that inevitability and trying to avoid it becomes crucial to the entire thing — fundamental to the joy and the heartbreak.

also, the show leads off sort of recognizing that it did so many non-white actors dirty in Breaking Bad — it immediately revisits some of those roles to give them more screentime, nuance, and agency.

so if you bring back a zany guy from Breaking Bad, whose character is given more time to shine but is ultimately still the guy you wrote the first time… how do you balance that?

enter the immensely talented Michael Mando, perfect foil to Tuco, immediately given the kind of agency, longevity, and charismatic / tragic balance to be super compelling and well-rounded, unlike any other non-white character really gets to be in Breaking Bad

another thing, right from the first episode, that reframes it — they recognize from that success that they must have a meaningful foil or balance to any returning Breaking Bad character

so when it comes time to let Gus shine so so so much more than he got to in Breaking Bad, especially with much less nebulous context… we get an incredibly worthy (and also tragic) adversary in Lalo

because of the strength of the Better Call Saul characters, all the woven in Breaking Bad characters fit, are set up perfectly, and just get to truly shine

that’s not to mention every other amazing performance — Mike at his absolute best and most heartbreaking, Chuck’s mastery of cutting snark tinged with despair, Howard being an absolute freak, etc etc etc

there’s so much more interplay. not one fucked up asshole tearing down everything — threads, tragedies, interlinked

and — not in a condescending, pandering, or bleak sort of way — it’s a fucking love story

a real and meaningful one

not where the goal is together at all costs, but we changed each other and that matters and being who we are is more important than fearing what we could be or were

and honestly, intended or not, the whole thing is so queer-coded

like there are the obvious and clearly intended parts, but like… even Jimmy and Kim are just profoundly queerly written

which is so refreshing, versus the violent and widespread straightness of Breaking Bad

I uh… rambled a lot there

did I answer the question?

hah, sure, but I don’t know if it’ll be a popular take around here

let’s see what kind of trouble this gets me in…

walter white sucks shit

compellingly horrible, sure, but the whole fucking crux of the show is him being extremely horrible to everyone around him and just obliterating every charismatic and interesting character he comes into contact with

like in addition to everything, they make him do something super fucked up in the first season without warning — I’m not repeating what it is here — and still keep writing it like there’s some possibility that he’s a sympathetic character instead of the fucking worst

the women in the show are NOT written well and pigeonholed into horrible little pockets

the show is more freewheelingly racist, and though it’s often positioned like “maybe possibly it’s supposed to be a criticism of the white people in question,” NONE of that is backed up by the way any non-white character is written

there’s so much else I could say about all the ways in which it’s shitty, but I’d run out of energy, lmao

and then you have Better Call Saul

which is given enough room to breathe and the gift of hindsight, mixed with extremely fortunate circumstance

Kim does an amazing job right from the start — and a role that easily could have gone badly is given much more room and attention

because of that, the gang has to work a little harder to remember that women are people

and to make sure they actually do that this time, they end up with way more women writers

not a panacea by any means. but an important component to it working here!

recognizing Rhea’s talent immediately has them reframe the core gag: they’ve said that this is when they really realized that Jimmy becoming Saul is a tragedy, and not something they needed to rush into for fanservice. the tension between that inevitability and trying to avoid it becomes crucial to the entire thing — fundamental to the joy and the heartbreak.

also, the show leads off sort of recognizing that it did so many non-white actors dirty in Breaking Bad — it immediately revisits some of those roles to give them more screentime, nuance, and agency.

so if you bring back a zany guy from Breaking Bad, whose character is given more time to shine but is ultimately still the guy you wrote the first time… how do you balance that?

enter the immensely talented Michael Mando, perfect foil to Tuco, immediately given the kind of agency, longevity, and charismatic / tragic balance to be super compelling and well-rounded, unlike any other non-white character really gets to be in Breaking Bad

another thing, right from the first episode, that reframes it — they recognize from that success that they must have a meaningful foil or balance to any returning Breaking Bad character

so when it comes time to let Gus shine so so so much more than he got to in Breaking Bad, especially with much less nebulous context… we get an incredibly worthy (and also tragic) adversary in Lalo

because of the strength of the Better Call Saul characters, all the woven in Breaking Bad characters fit, are set up perfectly, and just get to truly shine

that’s not to mention every other amazing performance — Mike at his absolute best and most heartbreaking, Chuck’s mastery of cutting snark tinged with despair, Howard being an absolute freak, etc etc etc

there’s so much more interplay. not one fucked up asshole tearing down everything — threads, tragedies, interlinked

and — not in a condescending, pandering, or bleak sort of way — it’s a fucking love story

a real and meaningful one

not where the goal is together at all costs, but we changed each other and that matters and being who we are is more important than fearing what we could be or were

and honestly, intended or not, the whole thing is so queer-coded

like there are the obvious and clearly intended parts, but like… even Jimmy and Kim are just profoundly queerly written

which is so refreshing, versus the violent and widespread straightness of Breaking Bad

I uh… rambled a lot there

did I answer the question?
Yeah!

Maybe this is missing the point but Skylar White was so much more compelling to me. I don't think she's necessarily likeable, I don't think she's necessarily meant to be, but for me she is the stand-out character of Breaking Bad... And the way she's framed despite all this made my blood boil. Some scenes I was sort of. Getting into it, for lack of a better word, I was empathising with Skylar, I was feeling her feelings and it was really building and then she's just. Dashed. Either ignored, or put down, or overwritten or something so awful happens to her at no fault of her own I need to stop, turn off the device and breathe for a minute.

I'm not trying to be edgy when I say this but my empathy can be a little shallow. I really just don't have as much as perhaps I should sometimes. A lot of times I feel like I have too much and that's led to me consciously and unconsciously making that pool shallower so I don't drown in it. Breaking Bad made me immerse myself then held my head under the water and laughed it off. It feels shitty to watch.

I genuinely think Gurren Lagann has the best TV finale I've ever seen. The final battle, the emotions, the animation, the denouement, it's all incredible stuff.

Runner up for me would be Cowboy Bebop. It's so iconic I don't even have to post it. But the music right before the ending, in the final battle, always gets me:

Third for me would have to probably be Dragon Ball GT. Despite an incredibly uneven production, the final arc of GT is, in my opinion, up there with the best arcs of DB/Z, and the sendoff to Goku is incredibly touching. Despite Toriyama's limited involvement in GT (he mostly designed some of the early characters and gave minor input), it certainly feels much more bittersweet after his passing.

Yu Yu Hakusho's ending always manages to make me bawl like a baby. Just seeing the characters one last time like this with Smile Bomb, it gets me:

I'll round this out with a mention that isn't anime: the Sopranos. Nothing needs to be said with how iconic its ending is, but here's a video anyway:

This is getting long so a few honorable mentions:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Sozin's Comit
The Wire - 30-
The Shield - Family Meeting
Futurama - The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings (Meanwhile is still a good ending, but of all of the Futurama finales, this one is still the best)
Star Trek: The Next Generation - All Good Things... (literally watched this one a few days ago!)

Sopranos and Cowboy Bebop I legit came here to say the same thing but you already posted this xD

Better call Saul ending is in my opinion one of the best ending i've ever seen.

Like, shit has one of the best character conclusion and one of the most emotional ending, since i was there when it aired, like that experience of seeing a franchise fully finished on a masterful note is peak.

And ironically one of the most heartbreaking love story.
saul-goodman-better-call-saul.gif

Star Trek : The Next Generation (All Good Things)
Not what I expected for the end of the TV show but still pretty good and a very "Star Trek" episode.

Depressing ending beware :

Chrno Crusade
I haven't been so depressed after the end of a show. If you know, you know. Just keep in mind that the show have been preparing you from the very first episode on how sad it's gonna be.

Not the best, but still good enough :

Elementary (The Final Problem)
Despite how much the final season had been cut (and you can tell) and the death of one of the actor from the previous seasons (and I learned his death just after seeing his final episode apparence), I still liked how it turned out. I though I would never like a Sherlock adaptation set in the US, until I watched the first episode and understood WHY it was set in the land of Bill Gates. The actors were all amazing.

NOOO !

Quantum Leap (OG show)
I watched this show (or as it was known in France : Code Quantum) all the time. To say that the ending was bitter sweet is an understatement. And to learn 20 years later that they filmed an alternate ending in case they could do a sixth season is even worse ^\o^; I loved this show so much...

It's not a "grand finale to a story" type ending, but for a more episodic show I love Star Trek: The Next Generation's "All Good Things...". If you haven't seen it, without giving too much away Captain Picard seems to be bouncing between past, present, and future. This gives a good excuse to revisit things as they were back around episode 1, as well as a taste of a possible way things could play out, without locking themselves to anything for certain.

Stargate SG-1 did something somewhat similar with its "Moebius" episodes at the end of season 8, but then it ended up getting picked up again so it wasn't the series finale, even if it was still an end of an era with some major cast and story changes.
It may not be great as a 'series finale' but I liked the final episode of SG-1 a lot (Season 10 finale). It's a very reflective, calm, and almost zen episode focused on the characters rather than anything big and plot-heavy. It was fitting in a way after 10 long seasons.

Good topic

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air- That was a very sad ending. Will looking at the empty living room after everyone else was moving out, and him knowing that the next part of his life was coming up, was a water shed moment. It felt like you were losing part of your family that you had gotten to know for years. Also, RIP James Avery.

The Wire- Still one of the best shows that I have ever watched. The final montage with McNaulty looking out over the city blew my mind.

The Sopranos- A lot has been said about this over the years. I always think about it when I hear Don't Stop Believing.

Mad Men- The whole series was explaining how Don Draper came up with a new ad campaign for Coca-Cola. Genius.

Digimon Adventures 01- After watching 50 some odd episodes of that show, if watching the digidestined leave on the train while saying goodbye to their digimon friends doesn't put a tear in your eye, you aren't human.

Digimon Adventures 01- After watching 50 some odd episodes of that show, if watching the digidestined leave on the train while saying goodbye to their digimon friends doesn't put a tear in your eye, you aren't human.
I nearly mentioned Adventure (rewatched it last year and hearing Butterfly at the end always gets me), but I felt the final battle was on the anticlimactic side.

Still worth posting:

I nearly mentioned Adventure (rewatched it last year and hearing Butterfly at the end always gets me), but I felt the final battle was on the anticlimactic side.

Still worth posting:

Agreed that the last battle was a little iffy after the amazing battle against Piemon, but the last 10 minutes of that episode was just beautiful.

I forgot to mention the series finale of The Office. I'm sure we all agree that the quality of the show dropped dramatically towards the end, but the showrunners really did the series justice with that finale. From Michael's return to Dwight/Angela's wedding, it was a great send off. Andy Bernard's quote "I wish there was a way to know you're in "the good old days", before you've actually left them." really stuck with me

Back
Top Bottom