• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What Is The Best Star Fox Game

WHAT US THE BEST STAR FOX GAME

• Total voters
I would be shocked if even a sizable minority answer anything other than Star Fox 64. It's maybe the perfect rail shooter.

Assaultbox.jpg

Tbh, this was not only best SF game, it also is one of the best dogfight games I've ever played. The split screen multiplayer absolutely sucks you in, I probably played it for hundreds of hours.

I would be shocked if even a sizable minority answer anything other than Star Fox 64. It's maybe the perfect rail shooter.
I don't like the base (N64 version ) of Star Fox, mainly because N64's analog stick is not the way to control reticle of the game. SF64 is more like a "corridor shooter" than on rails (you still have to move the ship). SF64 on 3DS much better replacement to the game.

I don't really hate any Star Fox game but it's hard to deny 64 is such a peak game

Kudos to you OP for at least including Guard as a separate, worthy game

I havenā€™t played all the SF games but I think the framerate of the SNES games alone wipes out a good chunk of the competition. Itā€™s gotta be 64.

64 > Zero > 2 > Assault > 1 >>>> Command >>>>>>> Adventures

64 is just the defacto Star Fox game that it's hard to really argue against.

I'll actually defend Zero since it has a lot of great ideas and cool levels, alongside very good co-op. Co-op alone makes Zero such a fun game. All of my control issues are actually with the BUTTON controls, like how tilting the Arwing is on the right stick instead of the shoulder buttons. Half-tilts aren't really useful or required, so the granularity is wasted. That said, some levels are bad like the Gyrowing, so it's not all good. Still, I will defend the game.

2 is highkey underrated and slept-on. It's really hard on Expert, but really satisfying to deal with its light roguelike-esque setup and having to change your strategy every now and then due to the RNG. Different playable characters are also really good, as they all have their uses. Like how Fox and Falco have Nova Bombs by default so they can destroy Star Wolf immediately, or how Faye and Miku can tear through most levels extremely quickly at the cost of less health, or how Peppy and Slippy are easier to use but weaker. The time limit also masks how simple the levels are, by urging you to go fast for a tangible reason. (I'm voting for this just to represent Star Fox 2)

Assault has a pretty good single-player but the arena design is a bit weak. This game truly shines in multiplayer, though, where it's surprisingly very well balanced, unless you pick Wolf.

1 is good and has its charm. Just don't think much of it when other games in the series exist, but if I played Star Fox 1 first, maybe it would be higher than Assault.

Command is so boring and repetitive with too easy missions to make up for its control scheme, something not even Zero has a problem with. Perfect sleep medication. They took Star Fox 2 and stripped out all friction and satisfaction from it which was just infuriating.

Adventures is a terrible Zelda-like that doesn't understand anything that makes Zelda good. You thought Twilight Princess used items not too much? Adventures is way worse and they all suck in comparison. I have nothing good to say about it.

Sadly, I haven't played Guard yet. It seems fun, though.

I love Assault, and it has MUCH better multiplayer than 64.

64 is a more accessible game for the amount of content it has. It has a better valance of quality too.

Assault has a really low singleplayer campaign and odd on foot controls. So despite what I want to say, I give it to 64.

But if all the controls were good. Assault would smoke 64.

From what I've played (Star Fox, like 20 minutes of Starfox 2, 64, Adventures, Assault, 64 3D), I only really have any strong affection for the Gamecube titles, and of those Assault is the one I'd say is actually "good" (wish they'd stuck with this direction for the series) and not just "nostalgically fun/interesting". I just find the arcade-y onrails gameplay pretty dull

Probably important to note I only played the on-rails games as an adult after playing Adventures and Assault. So I've just got zero nostalgia for them whatsoever

What do you mean by this? Assault has dual analog controls that makes it a modern video game. The Metroid Prime controls are merely one out of three options.
The on foot controls are incredibly clunky and the gcn controller is poorly suited for dual analog.

Agree to disagree with me here, because having play Assault extensively, my mind is made up on how user friendly they are.

Itā€™s Assault for me - always has been. Once you get used to the controls, it offers the best variety of gameplay, a fun voice cast, and something actually cool and different in the way of story and villains. 64 is still a close second.

1. Star Fox: Assault
2. Star Fox 64 / Star Fox 64 3D
3. Star Fox 2
4. Star Fox
5. Star Fox Adventures
6. Star Fox Command
7. Star Fox Zero

64 is easily the best of the bunch. It's still the only the game to have a full on 4vs4 battle against Star Wolf, something that not even Zero can match.

64 is by far the most balanced experience, even I still think StarFox 2 was much more interesting with its game mechanics.

It just needed to be done on more powerful hardware.

Most games in the series feel compromised in one way or another so 64 is a pretty easy pick here. It's the most well-rounded game in the series and a great game in its own right.

Followed by SF1 and SF2, both of which would benefit immensely from higher framerates. But they have a very cool vibe that none of the sequels have matched so far.
Zero is terribly flawed but has some neat ideas and actually felt daring. Is it cheating to bundle it with Guard? That was pretty neat.
Assault is a pretty mixed bag. The rail-shooter stuff is fun, the bland on-foot missions have terrible controls and sadly those make up a significant part of the game. The series' best multiplayer (which is admittedly a pretty low bar) prevent it from being a disaster.
Command is interesting in theory but in practice just not very engaging to play. I think it's telling that most people only remember it for it's wild endings.

Can't even really rank Adventures here. It's like trying to rank a Mario Party among the 3D platformers. Aside from its technical merits it's just a boring OoT-clone.

Allow me to make a case for the orignal:

1. Any Star Fox with on-foot/land sections is a design failure. Star Fox 1 (SNES) is pure space shooting goodness.

2. Star Fox 1's soundtrack: superior. All others: inferior.

3. Star Fox 1 was by far the most technologically impressive Star Fox relative to its time -- it was the Mario 64 to 64's Sunshine.

Sure, Star Fox 64 has a better frame rate and more content, but the frame rate is still poor and a lot of the added content is outright bad.

I voted for the original gun but I can't hate on the SF64 love. I still have super fond 4-player memories of that game šŸ’œ

Allow me to make a case for the orignal:

1. Any Star Fox with on-foot/land sections is a design failure. Star Fox 1 (SNES) is pure space shooting goodness.

2. Star Fox 1's soundtrack: superior. All others: inferior.

3. Star Fox 1 was by far the most technologically impressive Star Fox relative to its time -- it was the Mario 64 to 64's Sunshine.

Sure, Star Fox 64 has a better frame rate and more content, but the frame rate is still poor and a lot of the added content is outright bad.
If another starfox gets remastered, it should be this one.
Like you said the music is superior to all the others . The atmosphere it creates is out of this world.
And enemy pilots fly out of their ships when they explode! That alone makes it best in class.

64 is one of the best arcade rail shooters. And the 3DS remake was so, so good.

Assault is a bit mediocre most of the time, but it has two or three fucking hype moments...

All the other games are either bad or mediocre ++. (Can't comment on the very first game as my eyes have never been able to handle more than the first level)

Zero could be pretty good with basic controls, but even then, imo it's too slow. It starts to get really fast paced and fun... In the second to last level. Wasted potential.

It confuses me how much love Assault gets. I found that game remarkably mediocre at launch. Like I swear Namco just took the multiplayer maps they designed, slapped some enemy bots & the most basic of mission objectives & called it a campaign. & only 3 on-rails stages was laughable.

It confuses me how much love Assault gets. I found that game remarkably mediocre at launch. Like I swear Namco just took the multiplayer maps they designed, slapped some enemy bots & the most basic of mission objectives & called it a campaign. & only 3 on-rails stages was laughable.
Barely remember playing this game back in the day with my boy.
Itā€™s trash. never figured out the controlsā€¦just like Jet Force Gemini

Star Fox 64, easily. I really do love the series, but I wish we would get a full-blown reboot at this point. Classic Star Fox design, but expanded to be much larger. We've seen games like Chorvs that you can do a good length space combat game, I am confident Nintendo could pull it off.

I could ramble about how the roguelike features in Starfox 2 are what the series needs moving forward for hours.

can i just take a sec to lament that none of the future games have kept Conaria from the original as the main theme of the series despite being the most popular track in the entire franchise

The on-rails segments are glorious. But the rest is.... well, not good, for the most part.

I replayed it a few years ago, and it was worse than I remembered. I had some fondness for it, but now it just smells of a huge missed opportunity. In fact, sadly, a missed opportunity is something that applies to many games of the franchise.

Star Fox 64 is easily the best. Super fun campaign with excellent missions, the best and most memorable story/characters/voice acting, and an at the time solid multiplayer mode.

I never beat Adventures (which Iā€™m aiming to change this year), but if I were to rank the rest I think itā€™d be:

64 > Assault > Command > SF > Zero > Guard > SF 2

Even with 64 and Assault far ahead of the rest for me, honestly the series is pretty good all the way through. My least favorite, Star Fox 2, is still a very cool game and especially impressive on the SNES.

Assault is the epitome of style over substance. It's a fairly pretty game, with a great soundtrack and some wonderful pre-rendered cutscenes sprinkled over the course of the game. A lot of hardcore SF fans who are more focused on the gameplay, recognize that it's fairly mediocre and deserved the criticism it got at the time.

Star Fox Adventures, because was made by Rare

thus, is the best game in the series. Sorry, I can't do anything about it.

Its down to your experience.

I played the multiplayer regularly as a teen with friends and it was pretty much a staple of my friend group. The number of maps, unlockable weapons and characters was just really cool and it fed into my playthroughs of singleplayer to unlock them.

But if your only experience with Assault is said singleplayer, you are getting a very watered down game whose priorities were heavily weighed on one over the other.

For me personally, it's the original game on SNES.

It's fantastic music combined with its mix of simple geometry with lovely 16 bit pixel art create such a rich atmosphere.
Throw in great boss fights, cool level themes, and a real sense of stakes and it's retains a special place in my heart even three decades and five generations later.

64, followed by 2, followed by the original. Don't care for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom