• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is the best Smash Bros. opening?

The best Smash Bros. opening is...?

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him

I think every single one of these has something going for it:

64: The classic, loads of nostalgia, and the only one that tries to contextualize the series (the premise of the series of a kid playing with toys got more and more lost as time went on)

Melee: Amazing visuals, amazing song, classic, iconic, and the cinematics are all fully bespoke rather than being reused from anywhere else (this is the last time this would happen in the series)

Brawl: Also amazing visuals and amazing song and classic and iconic, with the novelty of the choir as well as the Subspace Emissary scenes really lending it an air of gravitas

4: The energy in this song is fantastic, in no small part because of how fun and frenetic the song itself is

Ultimate: The novelty of the vocal song

But if you have to pick one, which is it and why?

I find it difficult to pick between Melee and Brawl, but it has to be one of those two. I like all of the openings, but I think it really went downhill after Brawl, with the clashing artstyles, the lack of bespoke cinematics, and it just being a montage of gameplay clips. I miss the amazing and grand openings of Melee and Brawl.

Melee for me. It’s the Super Smash Bros. I have the most nostalgia for. There are too many memories tied to that opening song/cinematic before my brother just straight up wrecked my universe with Marth.

A+ time, would recommend.

I really wanted to toss Ultimate a bone, because I really do love the theme song for the game that much, but I'm not contrarian enough to deny Melee its rightful place.

8 year old me thought the Melee opening was the coolest thing ever. I don’t think the series has come close to it since.

I can go to bed soundly knowing I'm the only one who voted for it- music is iconic, commands an air of sorta new mystery and high octane that no one else goes for, every other opening to me tries to be more epic and bombastic. Not a bad thing- but there's something permeating that whole OST that just sounds so damn proud of itself just for getting past the start. I commend those vibes.

My gut reaction was Ultimate and after rewatching all of them they are all great and I was very tempted to Switch to Brawl, but I think Ultimate’s video is really synched with the song well, there’s a lot cool and humorous stuff alike, and it just feels like a huge celebration of the series and how far it has come.

Melee takes it but it was only between it and 64. The series from Brawl onward didn't use cinematics unique to the opening so they all feel less special looking back.

Melee. I don't think it's a fair comparison since the newer games used their CG budget on trailers rather than the opening (which I honestly think was a smart call). Smash 4 has my favorite song though.

It's Melee and it isn't remotely a contest. I have to watch the opening every time I start up Melee, there is no other game where this holds true. It's the only one with an actual unique opening video instead of a bunch of random clips spliced together from other things (or 64 just being done entirely in-engine). And it has Shogo Sakai. Brawl has Shogo Sakai arranging Nobuo Uematsu, worthy competition, but it's almost entirely carried by the music, which really clashes with the random Subspace scenes showing Yoshi sleeping on a log or something. Lastly, we cannot forget the all-important factor that is the announcer screaming the name of the game as you arrive at the title screen, a practice criminally abandoned after Melee. 64 is charming and isn't trying too hard, which has let it age surprisingly gracefully. Wii U feels so budget next to the others in both visuals and music. Ultimate is like Wii U but higher effort. The song is terrible, but that's because someone very obviously is singing along to the melody instead of the melody being written to be sung, the Ultimate theme itself is one of the better ones.

Melee>64>Brawl>Ultimate>Wii U

Melee. I don't think it's a fair comparison since the newer games used their CG budget on trailers rather than the opening (which I honestly think was a smart call). Smash 4 has my favorite song though.

The opening for melee actually was a trailer. It's what was used to announce the game, and then they just slapped it in to the game pretty much unchanged.

Well Brawl, 4 and Ultimate are mostly clip shows set to the game's theme, so not them. Sure the music is good, but the intro is more than that.

Like 95% of Melee's intro is a full ass unique cinematic that gives each (starter) character their own moment, and has some fun cameos too... so... it takes it.

Brawl's song puts it over the edge for me, I also simp hard for Subspace so the fact it's OP is 95% scenes from it isn't a problem for me.

I chose melee, as OP explained 64 contexualizes what Smash really is, a kid playing with their toys, but to me Melee was all of the Nintendo characters living together and sharing a Nintendo world interacting with each other in ways every Nintendo fan and fan of video games wondered.

Even to this day when I watch that Melee opening, I still get goosebumps, watching Mario square off with Link, the scene of Shiek playing as it pans to the starry sky and show Zelda, the Yoshi stampede, the fight between Ridley and Samus, Kirby racing Pikachu, and one of my favorite shots is the scene with the Great Fox, Samus's gunship and the Blue Falcon all driving along each other.

It's all just magic.

Brawlllll...............Super Smash Bros. Melee is often praised for its iconic opening sequence, featuring the characters in a dynamic battle.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, Melee deserves every single vote it gets whether it's nostalgia, presentation, theme song, or even vibes.

But to me, Brawl I feel most often I just had to let the attract screen play out whenever I started the game up. It was just so cinematic and the Latin chorus composed by no less than Nobuo Uematsu just adds that gravitas like OP said.

Poor Wii U though, I knew I wasn't gonna remember it until I watched the video and even now I can hardly remember anything about it. It's very scattered, like it was cobbled together at the last minute and doesn't have a cohesive vision.

Melee had that “Holy Crap, smash is huge now!” feel to it that while expanded on in later games didn’t have that same impact.

Brawl has the best theme by far though.

That Melee opening is unmatched. I'll never forget how an awe I was watching that Christmas 2001 when I got my Gamecube. Core memory!

The others are good too, but Melee was something special.

Smash 64's still has charm and I love that it introduces the concept of what Smash is (kid playing with their toys), give each [base] character an equal introduction as they all come together to face off against each other. This intro is also the one where the whole concept of Master Hand even makes sense since he was right there from the get go. Unlike many of the later intros, this one doesn't just work as an intro to one game, but the entire series. Classic.

Melee's was basically designed to be an epic showcase. It exists to promote not just the game but GameCube's FMV capabilities (that was a big deal back then). That pause in the music before the Mario trophy comes alive is an outstanding 'Here We Go!' moment and you know you're in for a treat that'll be even more epic than Smash 64 before (also ties nicely to the whole trophy theming found throughout the game). Also can't deny the hint of nostalgia I have for it.

One point I'd like to raise regarding both Melee and 64's is they have music clearly designed for the visuals. 64's even have the nice touch of some of the instrumentation changing to reflect the characters on screen.

I bring this up because we come to Brawl. Nice tune, shame about the visuals. Throwing together various SSE clips with barely any rhyme or reason, with slow pacing with barely any regards to the music playing. I'd argue this old trailer for Brawl when the music hits the calmer passage and we see the change in the Yoshi's Island stage worked better as a shot than anything in Brawl's opening (likely why I still remember said shot after all this time). Also, as epic as the theme was, we had heard it so much in the run up to Brawl it kind of last the impact (this was the first Smash I followed closely throughout its entire development). The best bit is the pan across the entire cast at the start (which updates when you unlock everyone which is cool), which also acted as a neat reference to that promo art they had for Melee. I was honestly kind of surprised how boring it was looking back on it.

On the other hand, I feel I may have been a bit too harsh of Smash for Wii U's opening over the years. It's not that bad. I guess with Bamco on board I was hoping they'd bring something like Soul Calibur 2's opening to the table rather than another clip show so had a touch of disappointment when reality hit. Saying that, at least the cuts between each clip is tied with the music. The main melody is quite nice, but it loses energy towards the end with the rock drop and the ending flare doesn't really do much to help it recover. So basically starts nice, then loses it a bit.

And thus we come to Ultimate's, which basically takes the best of the previous two and finally makes a clip opening work. An epic vocal song, with energy throughout, with actual thought put into the clips shown. With Ultimate's big selling point, everyone is here, this intro basically keeps building up to more and more characters joining the party, seemingly never ending, which, even now, comes across as an impressive feat all these years later. Also I like that clip with Pikachu flicking through various stages because it highlights that Smash is also about stages. Thank you.

So overall I'd have to agree with the majority it seems that Melee is the best one, but it was meant to sell the game after all. Though speaking of selling the game, remember that advert for Ultimate, that was basically the huge cast banner brought to life? What was up with this? An epic bespoke animation highlighting the cast and tied to the epic mural that was central to most of the game's marketing. Almost like a teaser for the opening and yet not a nanosecond appeared in the game. So strange.

Melee > 64 > Ultimate > Brawl > Smash for Wii U

They're all good but...........

COLOURS WEAVE INTO A SPIRE OF FLAME

is just legendary

Edit - The Sheikh harp bit in Melee will live with me forever tbh.

Last edited:
Even tho Melee has been surpassed in gameplay and characters. It still is the most iconic in several areas, like the intro, adventure mode, trophies, the music had a very distinct feel as well.

melee's intro is still the goat, even if i really like smash 4's video for eclectic reasons

lifelight edges ultimate's into a close third

Melee easily. It's odd the other games don't have the sound effects.

Imo Brawl has the best reveal though

I want a 5 character debut reveal trailer so bad again.

Don’t even give me time to ponder the reveals, just keep blasting them out in a hype cinematic crossover trailer

The opening for melee actually was a trailer. It's what was used to announce the game, and then they just slapped it in to the game pretty much unchanged.

The reaction to Ridley lol, we're watching the actual birth of Ridley for smash. Then Samurai Gorroh gets no reaction. It's weird as a reveal trailer they don't distinguish which is an actual playable character. Ridley and Gorroh aren't shown any differently than the actual characters

Back
Top Bottom