• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is a piece of technology that a friend hyped up but ended up failing?

Baphomet

Cappy
A former friend used to tell me at the time that Windows Phones were going to be the future of smartphones and were going to destroy Iphones....

I had a windows phone ($50 shitter) in high school. Did the job. Much preferred the UI to the alternatives but it just didn't have the app support. Would pick android over it every time though. I really like Oppo/One plus Color OS for android and stock android on pixel these days.

I had a lot of friends that were convinced VR would account for at least half of all gaming sales in a decade back in 2013. It's done alright but seems to be stagnating. Its just still kind of expensive and a whole extra thing to access a fairly small pool of experiences for now. It'll take some sort of new breakthrough to push it much more.

Self driving cars are similar. We just aren't there technologically or socially, (or legally). I'm not really sure how we could even get over the social/legal considerations. I just use a train or bus if I don't want to drive. I'm lucky enough for that to be an option though.

A friend of mine had a Game Gear that he spent about two years claiming it was one killer piece of software away from domination of the portable market due to being in colour. It’s arguable that selling 10.6m devices in the face of the GB was a successful first step, but it wasn’t anywhere near enough for Sega to continue with it, and by the late 90s they had other problems too.

I wouldn't call it a "failed piece of technology", but I was buddies with a lot of Linux nerds back in the day and it was all about how much it was going to replace Windows one day (and Macs were complete trash in their books anyway)...

I mean. I MEAN.

Windows Phone and Windows Continuum.

The second(third?) swing at Windows on ARM, and it totally flopped.

VR.

He still thinks that this thing succeeded and gonna be mainstream at any moment.

No, thanks. Plus, I use glasses. It is awful to put this semi helmet on my head.

I am acquaintances with a bunch of tech-bros. It would be easier to list the technologies that ended up succeeding (None).

Back
Top Bottom