• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What do you want to see from next 2D Mario?

Translate the concept of 3D World having unique levels with themes and mechanics to 2D. Levels in 3D World were bursting with creativity and ideas.

Also an art style more like the classic Kotabe look.

I'd like to remind everyone how great Maker 2 reveal trailer is, with good music. Hopefully we will see something similiar by late June.

One thing I'll say I wouldn't want is a change from the general 2D formula, I see no reason to move from the level based linear levels of older games. 3D World (& 3D Land to a lesser extent) proves you can be way more creative within that framework than the NSMB series was willing to be. And with 3D Mario back to being a semi-open world setup I don't see why the entire mainline series should ditch the classic Course Clear setup. While I can acknowledge Odyssey's a great game, I just can't enjoy it on the same level as the Galaxy or 3D series that came before. A 2D Mario game with the same general setup, but with some actual creativity behind it though I could easily see joining the ranks of those games for me.

Although one thing I'll add is that while I don't want a open world 2D experience, I'd certainly welcome more cohesive world design. I love 3D World, but its biggest weak point is that the levels feel completely detached from each other, more so than any other Mario game, or really any other series for that matter. Even just keeping the theming consistent on a per world basis like, well, basically every 2D Mario game would be nice. Or hell, I'm not a fan of Sunshine, but I'll admit it actually trying to tie everything together is a pretty cute detail I do appreciate about that game,

New visual style, new animations, new music and sound design, new/updated enemy visual designs, animation and gameplay design, new gameplay mechanics and obstacles.

I said this in another thread but I feel like the 2D Mario games since SMB3/SMW had a similar problem to the 3D Zelda games after OOT/MM where they didn’t really know where to take the series but iterate on the same formula. Compare it to the 3D Mario games which despite all having a clear shared DNA go in wildly different directions and styles (and by extension in many ways I would say 3D World is the ultimate realization of this style). It’s been long enough that they can probably just do another straightforward 2D Mario but I think eventually they will hit the issue of being too formulaic again.

1807c6133a3ca0648b45e003604aa79ab75c909c.gif

Innovate and surprise me. The 2D Mario formula hasn’t evolved much past World/3. Try to come up with something completely different with unique/distinctive gameplay and visuals. You’re not going to be able to getaway with a game like SMB 1-3, World and NSMB series after Mario Maker. It has to be something that can’t be recreated on Mario Maker. Something that recaptures the imagination of the series that has started to get a bit sterile in some areas. 3D Mario titles have brought 2D Mario elements to the series in different forms. I’d be curious if they did something similar such as having large 2D platforming sandbox worlds to explore, Cappy powers returning, or Galaxy inspired gravity based levels. With how advanced Zelda’s physics mechanics are in BotW/TotK, I’d be curious if they tried more complex gimmicks such as time.

I’m so torn on Yoshi lol. He can certainly hang with the crew, but then not everyone can ride Yoshi…wonder if there is way we can have both and have it make sense lol.
I would bring back Nabbit for entry-level players and accessibility. That way, everybody can still have Yoshi.

Since pixel art was suggested several times, I’ll go with cel-shading instead. And if Nintendo uses 3D models again, take advantage of that in ways past games didn’t like how Retro Studios’ Donkey Kong games do.

No simultaneous multiplayer. Let Mario punch and kick like in Super Mario 64.
Simultaneous multiplayer is here to stay. NSMB Wii sales ensured it. The people love it, and those who don’t can always use the 1-player mode. Literally nobody is affected by its inclusion. Also, being a 2D game on the Switch, splitting the controllers and “sharing the joy” is possible.

I want the animation to be really snappy and crisp like SMB3.

More playable characters is nice, so not just Mario, Luigi, Toad, Toadette, Peach, and Rosalina. Having Daisy being playable is what I would want to see. Also, Wario and Waluigi being recurring minibosses would be a fun idea.

If the developers could, I would like to see Bowser taking a break. He's undoubtedly the most prolific villain, but seeing something new and maintaining the status until the end (so no Bowser taking over last minute) would be great. I will even take Donkey Kong as a villain if it had to come to that.

And yes, I think changing up the art style could be great. There is a game called The Multi-Medium where every level has a different artistic style, and that sort of variety would be nice to see. It could use the painting theme like Super Mario 64 too since it's about art styles, for good measure.

Thank you for reading.

Back to Subcon, please!

Give Bowser a break. Or, for a change of pace, he's been nabbed, forcing Mario and the crew to rescue him from Wart and the 8bits gang, instead.

After more than 30 years, I'm sure there's a LOT EAD could do, if they were to ever revisit the 2/USA formula. And I would love to see some very wild ideas, considering it's a literal dream scape.

It's time to bring back Wart/Mamu, dammit. You can't continue to do everything with the (frog)man, besides actually put him in a new game!

1280px-Nintendo_recruitment_book_Daisy_DK_Wart.jpg

I've wanted this for years.

In a word, ambition. Super Mario Bros. is the 2D platformer series, but it hasn't been anywhere near the forefront of the genre it basically created since 1990. The most advanced 2D Marios are still 3 and World. And I mean that in almost every respect. In terms of graphics, gameplay, music, and level design; all future entries tend to take at least as many steps back as forwards. That's kind of ridiculous. You end up with a situation sort of like the Dragon Quest XI soundtrack coexisting with the likes of Persona 5, except applied to an entire game.

In thinking about why and when people turned on the New series, I came to the conclusion that, whether NSMB2 existed or not, NSMBU would have never been able to escape from the tacit admission it represented that Mario was no longer capable of competing in the genre he created. When NSMBWii hit, it was the only game in town. Big console 2D platformers hadn't really been a thing since the 90's. Its sole competition was Wario Land Shake It, which looked nice for the time but was mostly a weaker version of a 2001 GBA game and didn't exactly set the world on fire.

But NSMBWii also ignited a string of retro revivals in the following few years, and most of the bigger ones were, well, a lot more impressive? NSMBU was the big Wii U launch title, in the same position as Super Mario World or Super Mario 64, but it couldn't really even compete with the 2D platformers on the previous system. And then you got the likes of 3D World, which could only have shown it up at its own game harder if it had been titled New Super Mario Bros. 3D, and Tropical Freeze. Comparing NSMBU to Tropical Freeze is like comparing Super Mario Bros. to Yoshi's Island. They feel like games with a decade and a generation of hardware between them, not less than two years on the same console.

-Basically a true sequel to SMB3 that introduces as much new elements as that game did. NSMB hasn't been much more than SMB,SMB3, and SMW put in a blender with a bit of SM64 sprinkeld on top.
-More variation on turtle type enemies, give Bowser an even bigger army with a consistent but at the same time varied aesthetic
-More difficult bosses
-Reintroduction of SMB3s Kings or at least elements that make the Mushroom Kingdom feel more lived in again
-a Yoshi that can be taken across the map and get powered-up (flying etc) like in SMW
-Everyone is here:Wart,Toadsworth,Birdo, Nabbit etc.
Yes! I'm here!! 💰💰💰

I want an actual 2.5D game. Think it can look and play great. Galaxy 2 and 3D World had plenty of side scrolling sections and those look good in those games. I think a unique gimmick (like Galaxy 2D or Odyssey 2D), multiple playable characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Rosalina, Pauline, DK), fun and chaotic multiplayer. Maybe a very interactive world map like that of 3D World.

Maybe something that feels like you're playing Super Mario World for the first time again.

I want a fresh art style. Something hand drawn in the style of the smb 3 illustrations (can't link them, I'm bad with my phone).
A new artistic direction after the "new" series.
First and foremost single player, but with multiplayer possible, it could have been fun online in Mario maker 2 if the online had worked.

Comparing NSMBU to Tropical Freeze is like comparing Super Mario Bros. to Yoshi's Island. They feel like games with a decade and a generation of hardware between them, not less than two years on the same console.
Honestly, even Donkey Kong Country Returns "in HD with dolphin emu" is a generational leap from NSMBU.

By the way, you said everything I have been saying since ever about the problems of NSMB especially how NSMB games lacks the "ambition" and the generational leap example lol.

Ambition, a new art style, higher production values not only in its visuals but in its music, throw something new in terms of level design, a game that can match the 3D games in terms of originality, weirdness, all that, Koizumi-fy it.

Back
Top Bottom