• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What do you want to see from next 2D Mario?

LukasManak22

who the fuck is that
New Super Mario Bros. U, released on November 18th 2012 as a launch title for Wii U. Over 10 years since we got a standalone 2D Mario game release, altough Mario Maker is a proper mainline Mario game in my eyes and Maker 2 in fact has a full singleplayer campain. We also got a Super Mario Run on smart devices in 2016.

SI_WiiU_NewSuperMarioBrosU_image1600w.jpg

Super Mario Maker was originally developed only as a course-making tool for the dev team, they pitched the idea to Tezuka, who instead wanted to make a Mario Paint game using Wii U gamepad. However he realized that course building is a better idea since it’s not that difficult as drawing.

SI_WiiU_SuperMarioMaker_v01_image1600w.jpg

Super Mario Maker released in 2015 on Mario 30th anniversary to great success, selling 4 million copies on dead Wii U. They also released the port of the game on the 3DS, however you cannot upload your own levels.

While Mario Maker just only released Nintendo was already looking at the future.

“Doing this now at the 30th anniversary [of Super Mario Bros.] is really putting some more of that creativity into the players,” says Miyamoto. “But at the same time, we as the developers feel that it’s time for us to move in a new direction, and we’re preparing to work on the future of Super Mario from here on.” – September 2015

“We will continue to make 3D and 2D Mario games, but I want to make one that even exceeds New Super Mario Bros.” - Takashi Tezuka, September 2015.

But, we had to wait on this one, since it was only natural that Nintendo would try to replicate the Mario Maker success on their new machine, Nintendo Switch. Which has a touchscreen and also acts like a handheld. Released in June 2019, selling close to 8 million copies. Some people say that Nintendo forgot about the game, which may be somewhat true as the final update with world maker released 10 months after launch and was indeed final, some people say it lacks the novelty it had on the Wii U. Not to mention that initially they did not planned to have a playable online with frieds but due to fans feedback they retracted just few days later and shipped the update 4 months after launch. While it introduced tags with levels, it lacked the website for them like the first game, or some form of Switch Online app companion.

H2x1_NSwitch_SuperMarioMaker2_image1600w.jpg

NSMUDX released on Switch earlier that year and it’s not surprising that it sold more than Mario Maker 2, the standalone 2D release is more appealing for mass market than essentially a course builder.

So, what’s next for 2D Mario?

The new one has been in development for quite a while (who would have guessed), also 4 months after Maker 2 launched Nintendo put out a hiring for a level designer for 2D action game in Kyoto

But I suspect that the game has been at least in concept phase even before the Maker 2 released.

A lot of people who worked on Octo Expansion have not been credited on Splatoon 3, or anything else.

Yusuke Amano – NSMB2 – Director.
Shigeyuki Asuke – NSMB Wii Director, NSMU Game Design
Terumasa Kato
Toshikazu Jin
Keisuke Nishimori
Yoko Tanaka
Keisuke Umeda
Hiroyuki Morishima
Yutaka Hiramuki

And bunch of other names. Altough some of them will be part of Pikmin 4 dev team. We will see in July.

Mario Maker 2 released in June 2019, Octo Expansion in June 2018. That means that some concepts/prototyping of this game has to be happening from 2018.

I feel like the artstyle of this game will surprise people a lot, maybe something from Kotabe’s art? More 2.5D ala 3D World style in Maker 2? Clear conditions for levels this time as in Maker 2? We can all agree that New Super Mario series is dead.

We've been seeing more of Yoichi Kotabe’s classic Mario art lately in marketing and other places, like the character select screen in Super Mario 3D World. Will we ever see a 2D game made entirely of Kotabe’s art?

Miyamoto: We’re at almost like a turning point. When you look at Mickey Mouse there is the classic Mickey Mouse, and then there is the modern Mickey Mouse and the classic one has a lot of flavor to it and the modern Mickey Mouse looks really great, but it is losing a little bit of the flavor, and that’s something we discuss to make sure we keep that intact as we’re creating characters. And of course the development team for any Mario game may want to use Kotabe’s art, but there is also a character-development team that’s really working hard to create new styles and new work. Once they get more work done, I think more and more of that will be reflected into games.

And you feel like the pristine, perfect flavor for 2D Mario is that beautiful, clean Kotabe art?

Miyamoto: I do believe that Mr Kotabe’s art has become kind of a standard within Nintendo, but we definitely want to continue to see if we can evolve that as time goes by.

As to when this game gonna be announced, it can be as soon as 2-3 weeks from now. For a late October/November release. Most 2D Mario games had a fairly small reveal-to-release cycle:

New. Super Mario Bros. Wii announcement at E3 2009 - November 2009 release.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 announcement in April 2012 - July 2012 release.

New. Super Mario Bros. U announcement at E3 2012 - November 2012 release (altough this one is tied to hardware launch/reveal). "The prototype NSMB Mii. was shown at E3 2011".

Super Mario Maker 2 announcement in February 2019 - June 2019 release.

Every New Super Mario Bros. game apart from like DS and original Mario Maker had a 5-6 months from reveal to release, or even less. If Nintendo wants to sell 15 mil. Units this FY, new 2D Mario game is exactly way to go, especially after Mario Movie.

What do you want to see from new 2D Mario?

Honestly, just a new art style - after they check that off. I am game for basically anything, tight 2D platforming is Nintendos forte and it's a shame we've seen so little of it this generation.

• Kotabe art visual style; as in, hand drawn style visuals. Failing that, a different visual and musical style to NSMB would be grand at this point.
  • instrumental soundtrack.
  • some wackiness and unconventional worlds to explore. Playing Super Mario Land 2 made me want more of that vibe, rather than just the standard world types.

All I want is a new, stylised presentation. Visual style and soundtrack completely different from the NSMB era. Level design and gameplay wise I have no concerns, NSMB Wii and U were still great there.

for a mainline entry literally just an art style without 3d models
give me pixels (2D art would be even better) or give me mario maker

I want to see the developers stepping forward with confidence and making something super creative and fun

Leave the re-treads behind

The actual style doesn't matter to me

New art style/presentation, please. The NSMB style is so worn out at this point. Give us something fresh and confident.

Awesome thread Lukas! Here’s what I want:

Local and online multiplayer. Online multiplayer is for sure at the top of my list. I really do want to see what a single player 2D Mario could look like again, but I find it hard to believe there at least won’t be 2 player co-op in 2D Mario platformers so I definitely want some good online play. I still play 3D World online with friends once in a while and it is always a blast.

More extra tough levels. I hope they go beyond the usual eight worlds plus one structure. Take a page out of the recent Mario games like 3D World and Odyssey and offer a longer post game for Mario masters. Give me a Champion’s Road equivalent too.

New worlds. Go beyond the usual Mushroom Kingdom even if we start there. I love the classic themes too and I’d love to see them represented, but put some spins on them at least. Look at games like Super Mario Land 2, the Galaxy games, 3D World, and Odyssey for inspiration.

More engaging graphics. Take cues from the 3D World style in Mario Maker 2 at least. The New Super look doesn’t feel terribly New or Super at this point. If the themes end up doing more of the heavy lifting, I’m ok with that.

More playable characters - If this new game has four player multiplayer in particular, give us at least eight characters so we have proper options. Mario, Luigi, Toad, Toadette, Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina for sure. Perhaps Wario can join in too.

New worlds. Go beyond the usual Mushroom Kingdom even if we start there. I love the classic themes too and I’d love to see them represented, but put some spins on them at least. Look at games like Super Mario Land 2, the Galaxy games, 3D World, and Odyssey for inspiration.
Oh yes, that's a personal hope of mine too. Go beyond the classic grass, water, ice, desert levels. Give me a prehistoric world, with perhaps dinosaurs in the background or something. Do a space world. Go nuts!
More playable characters - If this new game has four player multiplayer in particular, give us at least eight characters so we have proper options. Mario, Luigi, Toad, Toadette, Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina for sure. Perhaps Wario can join in too.
It's Waluigi's time to shine. Although given the choice, I would rather have Yoshi and Daisy be full playable characters instead of Waluigi.

More crazy gameplay ideas. The 3D games have always had crazy and varied concepts throughout. There's no reason the same couldn't be true for the 2D games. I mean, heck, many of the 3D games have 2D sections that have way more interesting things going on than the actual 2D games have, like...ever?

Oh yes, that's a personal hope of mine too. Go beyond the classic grass, water, ice, desert levels. Give me a prehistoric world, with perhaps dinosaurs in the background or something. Do a space world. Go nuts!

It's Waluigi's time to shine. Although given the choice, I would rather have Yoshi and Daisy be full playable characters instead of Waluigi.
I’m so torn on Yoshi lol. He can certainly hang with the crew, but then not everyone can ride Yoshi…wonder if there is way we can have both and have it make sense lol.

• A new artstyle
  • Good chunk of playable characters (like U) + Donkey Kong as special guest
  • A lot of verticality
  • Some sort of multiplayer aspect (could be minigames separated from the main levels, too)

I've been on the side of wanting an art style based on the more modernised promo art led by Shigehisa Nakaue (Kotabe left Nintendo a decade and a half ago) for awhile now. The internal EPD concept art for the movie coming out only makes me feel more strongly that it'd be the right direction. First image but with Peach in place of DK is the perfect snapshot of what i'm imagining.

FxLp8HTWwAAE5Lk
FxLqFeKWYAgAPUR
FxT5mGSXwAYZuuz
FxT5xH8XwAUs2mg
FxLqJ_4WAAA-jEu
FxLqKA6WAAE5iLy

Let the characters be really expressive! Really try to make it stand out visusally. To that extent, you need to diversify with the world themes; no more Grass -> Desert -> Beach -> Forest -> Snow -> Mountain -> Cloud -> Lava. The original NSMB had scrapped prehistoric and mechanical themed worlds (replaced by poison forest and mountain respectively) that could be fun to revisit. For other platformer tropes 2D Mario has somehow avoided touching, how about a sweets world, or a music world? It's wild they haven't done a space world since Mario Land 2 either.

Last but not least, I hope they take a page out of 3D Mario's playbook on Switch and make the mechanics silky smooth. Make Mario (and the other characters, preferably with unique abilities) really acrobatic. Take the 3D World theme from Maker 2 as a base; introducing 3D Mario techniques to 2D Mario has been working pretty well so far; and most importantly, take some inspiration from Mario Run's parkour mechanics. I think the ledge grabbing and quick recovery is a fair mechanic for even a console game.

I’m so torn on Yoshi lol. He can certainly hang with the crew, but then not everyone can ride Yoshi…wonder if there is way we can have both and have it make sense lol.
The thing is, I think they'd opt for Yoshi being more of a mechanic for the other characters to use like in previous games rather than being a playable character in a 2D Mario game.

I'm still not happy with the way they handled Yoshi in Odyssey LMAO

Back to Subcon, please!

Give Bowser a break. Or, for a change of pace, he's been nabbed, forcing Mario and the crew to rescue him from Wart and the 8bits gang, instead.

After more than 30 years, I'm sure there's a LOT EAD could do, if they were to ever revisit the 2/USA formula. And I would love to see some very wild ideas, considering it's a literal dream scape.

It's time to bring back Wart/Mamu, dammit. You can't continue to do everything with the (frog)man, besides actually put him in a new game!

1280px-Nintendo_recruitment_book_Daisy_DK_Wart.jpg

What gets to me about NSMB's art style isn't even that it's overplayed, it's that it frankly looks rather low budget compared to other smaller series Nintendo have made, On DS that might've been fine, but Wii and beyond when I look at say Retro's DKC titles, or the 2D Kirby games, those to me look higher budget than the treatment NSMB got. And that gap keeps getting wider with even smaller series like Metroid & Yoshi receiving absolutely beautiful visuals on new hardware. Meanwhile we haven't gotten a 2D Mario that's meaningfully evolved in presentation since 2009. Excluding maybe the the 3D World theme in SMM2, but even then that pails in comparison to the visuals of the other titles I've mentioned.

I also feel that the Mario games don't control that well compared to some of the more recent platformers. Tropical Freeze (as well as Returns for that matter) & Metroid Dread both stand out to me with their controls, they feel incredibly fluid and responsive, NSMB just doesn't have that. In addition I kind of feel that enemy hit detection isn't on par with many other platformers Nintendo have made, maybe that's just me though.

Last edited:
most important thing is a new art style that doesn't look like it was originally made for the DS. I think everything else can be standard if it looks and sounds really good.

• Not being part of the "New Super Mario Bros." saga is a must.
  • Completely new art style.
  • Completely new format for levels and worlds. It's time to stop using the "World 1-1" formula or its variations. It needs something much more immersive.
  • Better story. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser have demonstrated a lot of times that they can be charismatic characters.

I really liked NSMBU, I think that the level design was top notch and I'm down for whatever they throw at me if they keep that consistency.

However, if they are willing to change things up a little here's what I'd do

1) New art style. Not sure what I want, but something completely different from NSMB please
2) A less floaty Mario. This is a bit of a non-issue because you can always play as Toad and Toad is a lot less floaty so they could keep this route. However, I hate Toad, so give me a less floaty Mario.
3) More singular levels. The level design in NSMBU is, as I said, amazing, but the levels themselves don't look that good for the most part. More like the Van Gogh-y level, and a bit more level variety that goes beyond the setting.
4) A super luigi u- like post-game. Just give me more levels once I'm done with the regular levels.

I just want to see it at this point :p .

- 3D World / Bowser's Fury style music would be ace, but with a more natural visual style.

- Much shorter transitions between world map and levels, or making levels flow directly into each other without the constant interruption of the world map breaking the flow.

- Playable Peach.

- Shaking up the tropes of 3 Levels - Fort - 3 Levels - Castle / Second level underground / Second world desert, etc..

- Dethroning Yoshi's Island as the ultimate Nintendo 2D Platformer by embracing that game's variety and quirkiness.

NSMBU had amazing level design, so they've got that one down for sure!

Glad you asked OP. Some of the ideas here should definitely be taken into account in my opinion (better, fluider moveset, better story (doesn't have to be endless cutscenes but make BETTER use of the cutscenes for more interesting storytelling than the bog standard kidnapping story), environmental storytelling as well (don't have the background be animated wallpapers, make it look like a real, tangible world someone could live in, a la Tropical Freeze). 2D Mario has been a big seller for quite a bit and yet somehow it doesn't have the adequate bigger budget it should get as a Nintendo staple and a mainline Mario series.

Something that feels fresh, and something memorable.

NSMBU isn't a bad game, but I honestly can't remember much of it. When I first played New Super Mario Brothers on DS, I remember just being delighted by it. The little dancing koopas, the new power ups, the visual style. Plus the versus mode was great if you had friends with DSes.

But I don't think that look plays as well in HD, and overall I think the followup games lack character, and nothing has quite hit me as much as that first game. 2D mario games can create a flow state, almost like a rhythm game, but I want to find that delight with the help of the art and the mechanics, not in spite of.

The biggest problem I had with the NSMB line was that they all felt interchangeable at a point. It was just going through the motions: Here is the desert world, here is the ice world, here is the poison forest world, etc etc. Give any new 2D Mario its own personality so it doesn't feel like a glorified remake of a DS game.

-Basically a true sequel to SMB3 that introduces as much new elements as that game did. NSMB hasn't been much more than SMB,SMB3, and SMW put in a blender with a bit of SM64 sprinkeld on top.
-More variation on turtle type enemies, give Bowser an even bigger army with a consistent but at the same time varied aesthetic
-More difficult bosses
-Reintroduction of SMB3s Kings or at least elements that make the Mushroom Kingdom feel more lived in again
-a Yoshi that can be taken across the map and get powered-up (flying etc) like in SMW
-Everyone is here:Wart,Toadsworth,Birdo, Nabbit etc.

A metroidvania like 2D Mario with power ups.

Power Ups could be:

Double Jump
Yoshi
Cape from Super Mario World
Big Mario(from New Super Mario Bros)
Tiny Mario
and so forth.

Enemies bosses can be a super versions of the Koopalings and then Bowser at the end.

-----
Also I would love it if they made a 2D Bowser game like Princess Peach on the NDS but all about Bowser!

I’d honestly love a pixel art Mario like Super Mario World. It looks so good in HD in Mario Maker 2.

I also thought the 3D World style in Mario Maker 2 looked quite nice, if they stick with that particular art style.

But yeah…give me pixel art Mario

a cool stylized pixel art with really cool effects and a dope level design.

Last edited:
A better art style. That's all.

I am sure Nintendo will deliver design-wise. But that art style needs to be overhauled. Give me something bolder!

Since pixel art was suggested several times, I’ll go with cel-shading instead. And if Nintendo uses 3D models again, take advantage of that in ways past games didn’t like how Retro Studios’ Donkey Kong games do.

No simultaneous multiplayer. Let Mario punch and kick like in Super Mario 64.

I'd like to see all of the 3D World SMM2 style move set be present. Long jumps, side jumps, etc. Even the ledge grabbing from Mario Run would be cool. Other than the obvious (new art style), I'd want to see new worlds more akin to Odyssey and lots of new enemies (no Koopalings). Playable Peach and a new goal other than saving a/the princess would be great.

Oh and call it Super Mario Bros. 5. That is all.

Actual cool level themes like the 3D games, instead of just the standard grass, snow, desert, cave, and lava levels.

I've been on the side of wanting an art style based on the more modernised promo art led by Shigehisa Nakaue (Kotabe left Nintendo a decade and a half ago) for awhile now. The internal EPD concept art for the movie coming out only makes me feel more strongly that it'd be the right direction. First image but with Peach in place of DK is the perfect snapshot of what i'm imagining.

FxLp8HTWwAAE5Lk
FxLqFeKWYAgAPUR
FxT5mGSXwAYZuuz
FxT5xH8XwAUs2mg
FxLqJ_4WAAA-jEu
FxLqKA6WAAE5iLy

Let the characters be really expressive! Really try to make it stand out visusally. To that extent, you need to diversify with the world themes; no more Grass -> Desert -> Beach -> Forest -> Snow -> Mountain -> Cloud -> Lava. The original NSMB had scrapped prehistoric and mechanical themed worlds (replaced by poison forest and mountain respectively) that could be fun to revisit. For other platformer tropes 2D Mario has somehow avoided touching, how about a sweets world, or a music world? It's wild they haven't done a space world since Mario Land 2 either.

Last but not least, I hope they take a page out of 3D Mario's playbook on Switch and make the mechanics silky smooth. Make Mario (and the other characters, preferably with unique abilities) really acrobatic. Take the 3D World theme from Maker 2 as a base; introducing 3D Mario techniques to 2D Mario has been working pretty well so far; and most importantly, take some inspiration from Mario Run's parkour mechanics. I think the ledge grabbing and quick recovery is a fair mechanic for even a console game.
So basically an approach like Wario Ware: The Shake Dimension?

Not so sure if Nintendo will start another approach after Shake Dimension flopped so hard. I would really appreciate it, because I like the Artwork so much and would love something modernized, like a more approachable version of Cuphead in this Artstyle.

What I could imagine after Mario Maker combining already all the Art Styles, a more ambitionous Mario Maker from them with a full Singleplayer, mixing all the Artstyles together and giving Mario Maker finally a better sales argument.

The level design in NSMBU is, as I said, amazing, but the levels themselves don't look that good for the most part. More like the Van Gogh-y level, and a bit more level variety that goes beyond the setting.
People keep mentioning the Van Gogh level, and sure it looks nice, but gameplay wise it's pretty dull. Literally just jumping between pipes.

The next 2D Mario needs a different artstyle (something like Tropical Freeze), better level designs, and some additional moves.

Either New Super Mario Bros Switch OR as different from what came before as Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) from Super Mario Bros.

for a mainline entry literally just an art style without 3d models
give me pixels (2D art would be even better) or give me mario maker
In today's world I think that's a big ask. Definite loss of fluidity and scaling doesn't work as well whether it's for making Mario huge or just slightly zooming in on the screen. A well made 3D model can come very close to a 2D stylized form if they really want it to.

New Super Mario Bros. U, released on November 18th 2012 as a launch title for Wii U. Over 10 years since we got a standalone 2D Mario game release, altough Mario Maker is a proper mainline Mario game in my eyes and Maker 2 in fact has a full singleplayer campain. We also got a Super Mario Run on smart devices in 2016.

SI_WiiU_NewSuperMarioBrosU_image1600w.jpg

Super Mario Maker was originally developed only as a course-making tool for the dev team, they pitched the idea to Tezuka, who instead wanted to make a Mario Paint game using Wii U gamepad. However he realized that course building is a better idea since it’s not that difficult as drawing.

SI_WiiU_SuperMarioMaker_v01_image1600w.jpg

Super Mario Maker released in 2015 on Mario 30th anniversary to great success, selling 4 million copies on dead Wii U. They also released the port of the game on the 3DS, however you cannot upload your own levels.

While Mario Maker just only released Nintendo was already looking at the future.

“Doing this now at the 30th anniversary [of Super Mario Bros.] is really putting some more of that creativity into the players,” says Miyamoto. “But at the same time, we as the developers feel that it’s time for us to move in a new direction, and we’re preparing to work on the future of Super Mario from here on.” – September 2015

“We will continue to make 3D and 2D Mario games, but I want to make one that even exceeds New Super Mario Bros.” - Takashi Tezuka, September 2015.

But, we had to wait on this one, since it was only natural that Nintendo would try to replicate the Mario Maker success on their new machine, Nintendo Switch. Which has a touchscreen and also acts like a handheld. Released in June 2019, selling close to 8 million copies. Some people say that Nintendo forgot about the game, which may be somewhat true as the final update with world maker released 10 months after launch and was indeed final, some people say it lacks the novelty it had on the Wii U. Not to mention that initially they did not planned to have a playable online with frieds but due to fans feedback they retracted just few days later and shipped the update 4 months after launch. While it introduced tags with levels, it lacked the website for them like the first game, or some form of Switch Online app companion.

H2x1_NSwitch_SuperMarioMaker2_image1600w.jpg

NSMUDX released on Switch earlier that year and it’s not surprising that it sold more than Mario Maker 2, the standalone 2D release is more appealing for mass market than essentially a course builder.

So, what’s next for 2D Mario?

The new one has been in development for quite a while (who would have guessed), also 4 months after Maker 2 launched Nintendo put out a hiring for a level designer for 2D action game in Kyoto

But I suspect that the game has been at least in concept phase even before the Maker 2 released.

A lot of people who worked on Octo Expansion have not been credited on Splatoon 3, or anything else.

Yusuke Amano – NSMB2 – Director.
Shigeyuki Asuke – NSMB Wii Director, NSMU Game Design
Terumasa Kato
Toshikazu Jin
Keisuke Nishimori
Yoko Tanaka
Keisuke Umeda
Hiroyuki Morishima
Yutaka Hiramuki

And bunch of other names. Altough some of them will be part of Pikmin 4 dev team. We will see in July.

Mario Maker 2 released in June 2019, Octo Expansion in June 2018. That means that some concepts/prototyping of this game has to be happening from 2018.

I feel like the artstyle of this game will surprise people a lot, maybe something from Kotabe’s art? More 2.5D ala 3D World style in Maker 2? Clear conditions for levels this time as in Maker 2? We can all agree that New Super Mario series is dead.

We've been seeing more of Yoichi Kotabe’s classic Mario art lately in marketing and other places, like the character select screen in Super Mario 3D World. Will we ever see a 2D game made entirely of Kotabe’s art?

Miyamoto: We’re at almost like a turning point. When you look at Mickey Mouse there is the classic Mickey Mouse, and then there is the modern Mickey Mouse and the classic one has a lot of flavor to it and the modern Mickey Mouse looks really great, but it is losing a little bit of the flavor, and that’s something we discuss to make sure we keep that intact as we’re creating characters. And of course the development team for any Mario game may want to use Kotabe’s art, but there is also a character-development team that’s really working hard to create new styles and new work. Once they get more work done, I think more and more of that will be reflected into games.

And you feel like the pristine, perfect flavor for 2D Mario is that beautiful, clean Kotabe art?

Miyamoto: I do believe that Mr Kotabe’s art has become kind of a standard within Nintendo, but we definitely want to continue to see if we can evolve that as time goes by.

As to when this game gonna be announced, it can be as soon as 2-3 weeks from now. For a late October/November release. Most 2D Mario games had a fairly small reveal-to-release cycle:

New. Super Mario Bros. Wii announcement at E3 2009 - November 2009 release.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 announcement in April 2012 - July 2012 release.

New. Super Mario Bros. U announcement at E3 2012 - November 2012 release (altough this one is tied to hardware launch/reveal). "The prototype NSMB Mii. was shown at E3 2011".

Super Mario Maker 2 announcement in February 2019 - June 2019 release.

Every New Super Mario Bros. game apart from like DS and original Mario Maker had a 5-6 months from reveal to release, or even less. If Nintendo wants to sell 15 mil. Units this FY, new 2D Mario game is exactly way to go, especially after Mario Movie.

What do you want to see from new 2D Mario?

Great thread Lukas! Love the summary of 2D Mario of the past decade.

To answer your question? Gee, i'm not really sure. Personally i think that the NSMB games are still very good, and don't look or play outdated at all. But i do agree that it's time to move on. So i think the game should feel fresh, modern, distinctive and unique. With a healthy dose of innovation. A new art style could help.

Also, i think it'd be cool if they don't use the classic 'Bowser kidnaps Peach' premise. I know it's a staple of the series, but i still think it'd be cool to see Peach playable, and a new original villain.

And, this is obvious, but i just want it to be fun. I'm confident they'll nail that aspect at the very least.

Now, i have a question for YOU. Do you think it is a possibility that this game is being saved as a (launch) title for Nintendo's next system? They could have already finished it, but they could just be sitting on it, waiting to release it on the next system. NSMBU was a Wii U launch title after all. So what do you think?

Others are welcome to comment too of course.

People keep mentioning the Van Gogh level, and sure it looks nice, but gameplay wise it's pretty dull. Literally just jumping between pipes.
Agreed. I played the game very recently and I was floored when I got to this level and found out the backdrop is all it's got going for it. I geniunely wonder if people even play these games when the artstyle is all that gets mentioned, not to mention there's like two other levels with the same theming that play better but never get brought up (I wonder if its because one of them is in the Special World? Hmmm).

I’m really looking forward to the next 2D Mario, so I really like this thread.

Everyone has already talked about a new style, but beyond that, what I really want is for the series to start innovating again and to be ahead of its time. Just because it’s 2D doesn’t mean it can’t invent new things. I think that’s what I fundamentally miss about New Super Mario Bros. The absence of risk, the absence of audacity, the absence of creativity. While the previous Mario games, including the two releases on Super NES have invented things and have not at all content to be simple modernization.

I would like the game to be developed by a young team of new talents, of course supervised by people who know Mario, but at the same time free to bring a completely new direction. Tropical freeze for example shows a lot of modernity and despite the filiation with country it is a game that is played differently brings different sensations and offers a different level design: this is what I expect from the next Mario

Great thread Lukas! Love the summary of 2D Mario of the past decade.

To answer your question? Gee, i'm not really sure. Personally i think that the NSMB games are still very good, and don't look or play outdated at all. But i do agree that it's time to move on. So i think the game should feel fresh, modern, distinctive and unique. With a healthy dose of innovation. A new art style could help.

Also, i think it'd be cool if they don't use the classic 'Bowser kidnaps Peach' premise. I know it's a staple of the series, but i still think it'd be cool to see Peach playable, and a new original villain.

And, this is obvious, but i just want it to be fun. I'm confident they'll nail that aspect at the very least.

Now, i have a question for YOU. Do you think it is a possibility that this game is being saved as a (launch) title for Nintendo's next system? They could have already finished it, but they could just be sitting on it, waiting to release it on the next system. NSMBU was a Wii U launch title after all. So what do you think?

Others are welcome to comment too of course.
Nah, I don't think so. That's 3D Mario's job. Even the 2D DK game by Tokyo will likely still get released on this Switch.

Back
Top Bottom