• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What do you want from MonkEPD's rumored Donkey kong game?

Do you want MonkEpd's DK to be 2d or 3d?

• 2d

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • 3d

Votes: 59 62.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 23 24.2%

• Total voters
reposting from another forum

i think out of anything else i would like a donkey kong game made by nintendo (nintendo epd specifically, not a subsidiary)
they haven't really made one that, like, (re)defines the franchise unlike something like super mario 3d world did for the mario series
jungle beat is a nice tease but it's just that, i'm waiting for the actual meat and potatoes

so, assuming nintendo is indeed making the next big donkey kong game:
  • they should make some brand new guys
    • I want a new Kong. And I mean a new Kong in the vein of Dixie Kong, Wrinkly Kong, Tiny Kong and et all; a new supporting or protagonistic monkey character.
    • I also want new animal buddies. I don't believe Jungle Beat was them at the top of their game when they made things like Flurl, I'm confident they can make some actually really interesting designs for animal buddies.[/li]
    • not sure about the enemies, think I'm waiting for a surprise there
  • k rool should probably return. i'm actually a bit interested in seeing how they portray him, since they haven't ever touched him
  • part of me wishes they would give the donkey kong video game series an actual story narrative or something of the like. mainly coming off of splatoon which does this just for worldbuilding, it's really interesting to see just about any minor detail in splatoon and for it to change as though there's an actual tangible world with an actual tangible timeline and i'm greedy in wanting that for donkey kong too. i don't expect this to come as this is just not how nintendo usually rolls, for better or worse, stuff like the mario movie makes me think they'll do the same stuff they do with mario which is Fine
  • idk if i want dialogue for this game or not. i mean it most likely won't have much dialogue, like returns and tropical freeze, but given the option i'm not sure if i want the game to be written like dkc3
My absolute dream would actually be for DK to become the Super Mario 3D World series of Nintendo. It would be something like the best timeline I could imagine.

After Tropical Freeze I really just want another 2D game from Retro. So in terms of MonkEPD, I guess it’s time to try 3D again.

I'd be happy with either a full on 2D game or a 3D game with level design similar to the best of Galaxy 2 or 3D land/world.

I feel like this design style is one of the EPD Tokyo team's biggest strengths, and I feel like with them likely trying to focus on sandbox Mario again after Odyssey, this would not only be a good home for that more linear and authored level design style to thrive, but I think it would be better received in a DK game than it ever was by folks who just wanted 3D Mario to go back to how it was in 64 and Sunshine.

This seems like the best-case scenario to me; I'm not sure what value there is in that team making two separate sandbox 3D platformers when they could better focus on either extreme with each title instead.

EPD is probably making a 2D platformer still (they were hiring for one and I would guess it's more likely it didn't get cancelled)

How recently were they hiring? Because there's an EPD developed 2D platformer coming out in October (Mario Wonder)

As for the initial topic of this thread, I wonder if the Donkey Kong game is the new 3D Mario game? They could capitalize on the movie by making a "hero-swapping" 3D game about a Mario/DK teamup.

Yeah put me in the camp that at this point I just want it to exist... And have K. Rool back.

Though if it's 3D I really hope it goes in its own direction and isn't DK64 2.

3D.

Super Mario Odyssey-style, or Super Mario 3D World/Kirby and the Forgotten Land-style? I don't care.

Oh, and Kremlins please, though I'm optimistic that they'll return.

2D all the way. Both because I want a though-as-nails 2D platform alternative to Mario form Nintendo, also beacuse we'll already Mario for the 3D platforming fix from EPD.

Alternatively an hybrid that mixes some 3D with 2D, but still largely focused to 2D.

3d please! donkey Kong has 6+ 2D platformers while only one 3d game, it's definitely time for a more ambitious game

if EPD Tokyo was tackling both a Mario and DK game, I'd imagine the latter is 2D because tackling two big 3D platformers seem rather ambitious for one studio (tho they'd probably be helped through outsourcing with external studios).

Either way I'd be excited about a new DK game, there is a lot that can be done with the franchise and it's a shame it's been missing for awhile now.

Need 3D. Never played 2d DK though.

2D Donkey Kongs are the best platformers you’ll ever play (sorry Mario, but it’s TRUE!). You should start with the best two of all-time: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. If you’re disappointed by those, then DK may not be for you!

As for answer to the OP, I just want to see DK comeback. I’d say I do have a preference towards a new 3D DK since we’ve only had one, plus curious to see how much they differentiate it from DK64. DK64 was huge and ambitious game and honestly I struggle a bit to think of what would be done differently, but I sure want to find out!

That it exists. Nintendo hasn't treated the franchise properly for years now. If we put it into perspective there's only being 3 mainline DK games released in the last 23 years which is appalling considering Nintendo produced 4 Donkey Kong games between 1994 and 1999.

The worst part is that I don't see Nintendo youtubers noticing this as there is no awareness of this fact.

This isn't real at this point. Pretty sure it was Star Fox Grand Prix-esque attempt to catch leakers.

I want it to be 2D and have good controls like Rare DKC. Been replaying TF recently and as good as the game is, it just doesn't control well at all imo
It's a matter of sensibilities. I wouldn't say that I was there back then when it released, but I was there playing DKC in the late 90s and very early 2000s, and it always felt so slippery and hard to control for me. And it still does, which is why I find those games very very hard.

Then Retro releases their DKC, and boom, I can actually control the motherfucker in their games.

Back
Top Bottom