• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What do you want from MonkEPD's rumored Donkey kong game?

Do you want MonkEpd's DK to be 2d or 3d?

• 2d

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • 3d

Votes: 59 62.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 23 24.2%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Me personally I love the 2d games but I would love for them to try 3d with the series, Yes donkey kong 64 gets a ton of hate online but I personally thought it was really fun. It was also in the n64 era where companies were finding their footing with 3d platformers so if one made in the new gen would have everything ironed out for people who had a problem with 3d donkey kong. If they do a 2d donkey Kong that last 2d one epd did was jungle blast a follow up to that with proper controls would also be cool. What do you guys want from MonkEPD's donkey kong game coming out?

I want it to be 2D and have good controls like Rare DKC. Been replaying TF recently and as good as the game is, it just doesn't control well at all imo

EPD is probably making a 2D platformer still (they were hiring for one and I would guess it's more likely it didn't get cancelled)

This being DK seems extremely up in the air, there are no well sourced reports pointing to the game being DK. It could be

-Mario Maker
-Princess Peach actually
-Yoshi
-Wario Land
-A new IP
-Something else

I'm split between I don't care and 3D.

I don't really care about the Ape and his games but seeing the silly conversation around how it's impossible to do another Donkey Kong in 3D because DK64 was not as great as other Rare 3D-Collectathons makes me want to see the Kongs konquer the third dimension again.

I could say more of what Tropical Freeze was and I’d be set but I’d love to see what they can do for a modern 3D Donkey Kong game.

If not 3D, I do love when they experiment. I really enjoyed the addictiveness of Jungle Beat, trying to get the highest combo chain was so much fun. So more of that if anything.

Well first, for it to be real. But second, while I think it's a lot likelier that it will be 2D, I want it to be 3D, because I doubt they can reach the heights of the Retro games, and EPD has a lot more expertise at 3D platformers (and they're a lot rarer)

I want it to be 2D and have good controls like Rare DKC. Been replaying TF recently and as good as the game is, it just doesn't control well at all imo
Unyeah

reposting from another forum

i think out of anything else i would like a donkey kong game made by nintendo (nintendo epd specifically, not a subsidiary)
they haven't really made one that, like, (re)defines the franchise unlike something like super mario 3d world did for the mario series
jungle beat is a nice tease but it's just that, i'm waiting for the actual meat and potatoes

so, assuming nintendo is indeed making the next big donkey kong game:
  • they should make some brand new guys
    • I want a new Kong. And I mean a new Kong in the vein of Dixie Kong, Wrinkly Kong, Tiny Kong and et all; a new supporting or protagonistic monkey character.
    • I also want new animal buddies. I don't believe Jungle Beat was them at the top of their game when they made things like Flurl, I'm confident they can make some actually really interesting designs for animal buddies.[/li]
    • not sure about the enemies, think I'm waiting for a surprise there
  • k rool should probably return. i'm actually a bit interested in seeing how they portray him, since they haven't ever touched him
  • part of me wishes they would give the donkey kong video game series an actual story narrative or something of the like. mainly coming off of splatoon which does this just for worldbuilding, it's really interesting to see just about any minor detail in splatoon and for it to change as though there's an actual tangible world with an actual tangible timeline and i'm greedy in wanting that for donkey kong too. i don't expect this to come as this is just not how nintendo usually rolls, for better or worse, stuff like the mario movie makes me think they'll do the same stuff they do with mario which is Fine
  • idk if i want dialogue for this game or not. i mean it most likely won't have much dialogue, like returns and tropical freeze, but given the option i'm not sure if i want the game to be written like dkc3

If it exists and it’s 2D, I don’t care and probably wouldn’t play it. If it exists and is 3D, then I’m interested and would probably play it.

There are no 3D platformer devs available other than NST (who just came available and would probably need 4-5 years from now) and Retro in the future (who won't be available for 12-30 months).

3D. It just has been a very long time and I think that there's crazy potential there for a 3D DK game to be amazing.

Honestly, you know what I would like?

Give us 3D DK and in the meantime, port over DKC Returns.

I don't really care whether it's 2D or 3D, though I'd like to see a good 3D DK eventually. Mostly I just want for this to be a foundation for future entries in the series so it can coexist alongside Mario and not just some kind of weird appendage.

My ideal scenario is that Donkey Kong could be their outlet for the more tightly-designed linear 3D platforming. Basically have Mario keep going down the Odyssey/Bowser's Fury path and then sorta keep the level-based style of 3D Land/World going but as Donkey Kong games instead.

What I'm expecting is more along the lines of another 2D game in the style of Jungle Beat or DKC, which I would also be fine with. My wild card pull would have been them making an ambitious DK '94/Mario vs DK kind of game that leans more heavily on the Mario and DK rivalry (esp. since the movie brought that back into focus), but NST remaking MvDK probably makes that even less likely to happen.

Sorry to break it for all of you but Tokyo was hiring in 2020 for a 2D game. The hiring for 3D game from 2019 is absolutely 3D Mario. It's exteremely unlikely that Tokyo would work on 2 3D games, especially when they also hired for a 2D game.

For it to NOT exist so Retro can create a third Country game right after Prime 4. This time I want the Kong family to visit alien planets. Jungle and high tech themes together.

I did NOT like the last time EAD made a DK platformer.

Turn it into an "action" platformer with some kind of unique scoring or movement system, it doesn't have to be entirely Jungle Beat-esque but move it toward a similar mentality so DK can have more of a niche in platforming. Make him as powerful in context as his character would have you imply.

But also a 3D DK and redemption for DK64.

I want it to be open world 3D DK. I want playable Diddy, Dixie, and the Kongs from 64. I guess it doesn’t have to be a collect-a-thon like DK64 was, although I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a collect-a-thon.

Oh and I want it to be on the Switch successor.

Seriously, DK have more potential for a open world platformer than Mario. Animal buddies, barrels for warp points/traversal, minecarts, many Kongs with unique abilities, and every other elements of DKC series should work here. The question is if Nintendo is willing to make a DK ambitious like this.

If they do one, make it their own thing. Don't feel obligated to do things because Rare or Retro did them.

I would love to say idc but Nintendo has let me down on their 2D DK games. They want to make bongo peripheral games that I couldn’t care less about. 3D I know they’ll make something with a higher chance of me liking. Plus, it’ll be the second attempt at it.

Me personally I love the 2d games but I would love for them to try 3d with the series, Yes donkey kong 64 gets a ton of hate online but I personally thought it was really fun. It was also in the n64 era where companies were finding their footing with 3d platformers so if one made in the new gen would have everything ironed out for people who had a problem with 3d donkey kong. If they do a 2d donkey Kong that last 2d one epd did was jungle blast a follow up to that with proper controls would also be cool. What do you guys want from MonkEPD's donkey kong game coming out?
i want to see how EPD 8.2, envolve the 2D Donkey Kong game, if EPD 10 can make a truly umique 2D Mario, why not apply the same to Donkey Kong?

People too worried about 2d or 3d

Those can't handle the expanded dong

We need the next DK to be a 4d game

It's got to be 3d. Otherwise they should just have let Retro make more Tropical Freeze.

There's already the original DKC trilogy (by Rare) and the two DKCR games by Retro. All those games are beloved. What is EPD going to bring to that party that's particularly new? And there are tons of great 2d games everywhere anyway.

On the other hand, EPD are the masters of 3d platformers, and there are very few quality 3d platformers.

It's got to be 3d. Otherwise they should just have let Retro make more Tropical Freeze.

There's already the original DKC trilogy (by Rare) and the two DKCR games by Retro. All those games are beloved. What is EPD going to bring to that party that's particularly new? And there are tons of great 2d games everywhere anyway.

On the other hand, EPD are the masters of 3d platformers, and there are very few quality 3d platformers.
To be fair, Jungle Beat was nothing like Rare or Retro DKC games, nor like any other game on the market.

EPD is currently making

3D Zelda
3D Mario
2D Mario
Another 2D platformer
Splatoon
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
RingFit 2
Other casual games
Maybe other new IPs

And I'm not sure where they would ever have the bandwidth to fit a 3D platformer here unless it's very low budget.

EPD is currently making

3D Zelda
3D Mario
2D Mario
Another 2D platformer
Splatoon
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
RingFit 2
Other casual games
Maybe other new IPs

And I'm not sure where they would ever have the bandwidth to fit a 3D platformer here unless it's very low budget.
I have no idea what the state of Nintendo's bandwidth is, only that I don't want them wasting any on 2d DK.

But I hadn't heard that they were making RingFit 2. That's awesome news if true. Where'd you hear that?

To be fair, Jungle Beat was nothing like Rare or Retro DKC games, nor like any other game on the market.
Okay, but I consider that a rhythm game rather than a 2d platformer. Or even a "peripheral game", if that's a thing. It fits into a different genre than standard gamepad 2d games for me.

One of the few Nintendo games I've never played, due to needing the bongos.

I have no idea what the state of Nintendo's bandwidth is, only that I don't want them wasting any on 2d DK.

dk-donkey.gif

But I hadn't heard that they were making RingFit 2. That's awesome news if true. Where'd you hear that?

Okay, but I consider that a rhythm game rather than a 2d platformer. Or even a "peripheral game", if that's a thing. It fits into a different genre than standard gamepad 2d games for me.

While I think the bongos are part of Jungle Beat identity, I don't think they are the only relevant part of its identity. Even without bongos, you get an amazing-level design emphasizing combos. Jungle Beat is not a game about "rhythm" (unlike that Dedede rhythm/platform game for 3DS), it's more about getting the "flow" of a level, to get a very high score.

The Wii version even got rid of the bongos, and they tweaked the levels and DK's moves a bit. It feels like Skyward Sword HD played with a Pro Controller - you feel there's something missing, but at the same time you can still appreciate the game for what is it.

There are no rumors about RingFit 2, it's just very likely as it sold so well and has a lot of room for expansion in a sequel.

It needs to exist, other than that I'll take anything, I would love a 3d game in the style of 3d world tho.

I'd take anything but I'd love a 3D Donkey Kong game. There's no reason DK needs to stick to 2D games only. I want to see what Donkey Kong and his crew can bring to 3D platforming after such a long hiatus.

I would also take a new Donkey Kong Country game every year if I had the chance though. I will never have enough barrels, carts, and collectibles.

DK64 is hands down my favourite DK game. While I do acknowledge it has flaws, most if not all of those flaws can be fixed with simple quality of life fixes.

Back
Top Bottom