• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What do you think the Switch 2 Big Launch Game Will be?

What will be the Switch 2 Launch Game?

• Mario Odyssey 2

Votes: 100 64.5%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • New Smash Bros

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • New 2d Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • New Pokemon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
So the switch 2 is rumored for holiday of 2024, what do you guys think the big 1st party game will be? I will go will Mario Odyssey 2. its been forever since the first game it seems like the perfect launch game. My second guess would probably be prime 4 if mario isn't ready by then.

if mario isnt ready its mp4 and that's that lol.

I mean, we also have to consider the possibility that mp4 isnt early 2024 but yeah

Mario Kart World as the A title, Metroid Prime 4 as the B title.

Mario Kart starts with 12 new tracks + 12 retro tracks and will become an ever growing stream of new track content to keep people locked in to their NSO subscription. 4 free new tracks + 4 retro tracks will follow soon after.

Get people locked in on that NSO sub day 1 on Switch 2 ... that's just good business.

3D Mario a 1-4 months later.

How is Mario Kart not even an option in the poll too? lol. It IS Nintendo's biggest franchise, has been probably for a while. It overtook Mario platformers a while ago.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Switch has outsold the three best selling Mario platformers on the Switch combined (higher sales than Mario Odyssey + NSMBU Deluxe + Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury ... this is not even close).

Last edited:
3D Mario seems most obvious but I don’t think it’s Odyssey 2. That hat has sailed. (Flown?)

Last edited:
Putting down Mario Odyssey 2, even though I don't think it will be a sequel to that game so much as a new 3D Super Mario in general.

Metroid Prime 4 could be there, but it could just as easily be positioned as a swan song title for the Switch in the months before the launch. Too early for a new Smash Bros. game; if there was one that far into development, I don't see why Sakurai would have posted that video. 2D Zelda and 2D Donkey Kong I have no strong thoughts about, I just don't think former will be there, and if there's a Mario game, they aren't going have a Donkey Kong game launch nearby to mess with either title's sales. Mario and DK is an either/or situation: we saw this with the Wii U, where 3D World pushed Tropical Freeze into the following year. And lmao at mainline Pokémon being on new Nintendo hardware at launch.

Last edited:
2 first party games on the launch day, one is Mario Kart 9 and the other is some interesting low budget new IP. Mario 3D will launch within the launch window, possibly 2 months later. That's my guess.

September launch if they can manage it would be ideal IMO

September:
Mario Kart World (w/bonus Metroid themed track ... good cross promotion)
Nintendo low budget party game
Street Fighter 6
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Madden NFL
FC Soccer (FIFA)

October:
Metroid Prime 4
Resident Evil 4 Remake + RE8 ports
NBA 2K

November:
New 3D Mario
Call of Duty
Monster Hunter 6 (yup, calling it)

We've had this thread in like fifty million different forms already

And as always it will be 3D Mario (but not Odyssey 2), with Kart and probably Prime 4 in the launch window

i want to say Metroid Prime 4 due to how long it has been in development, and will probably entice the hardcore crowd.
But... its probably going to be 3D Mario or Mario Kart

If Metroid Prime 4 doesn’t release prior, it’ll be a cross gen launch title. Otherwise it’s Donkey Kong or 3D Mario (the latter I keep seeing as being saved for a few months into launch). Those three in general seem to be the big games floating. We should have a better idea after the September Direct depending on what shows up or not.

Metroid Prime 4, Starfield (published by Nintendo with exclusive cosmetics), and Sonic game (Published by Nintendo)

3D mario (not odyessy) and perhaps prime 4 as well (or at least soon after)

Here's my scenario how I think it'll go down:

Super Mario Open World
(And it's Nintendo, so you know they'll actually call it that)

Bowsers Fury was just practice, but this is doing to the Mushroom Kingdom what Breath of the Wild did for Hyrule. We're getting one definitive massive Mushroom Kingdom where we can jump around however we please, and it'll incorporate names and areas from all throughout the series history. Like a section that's the starry night looking woods from New Super Mario Bros or a mountain that looks like Mount Beanpole or we can just waltz into Bob Omb Battlefield.

It's still going to be structured like regular 3D Marios where there are missions with Stars/Shines/Moons/whatever to collect, the only difference is that you can seamlessly go to the next one.

Now Breath of the Wild had shrines, but this game will have....Warp Pipes! These pipes will take you down to more focused challenges, like the 2D sections of Odyssey or the Fludd-less Acapella levels in Mario Sunshine.

Both the Movie and Super Nintendo World are going to feel very synchronized with this game, it's going to make you feel like you steppped into the movies rendition of Mushroom Kingdom or are walking around the park, it'll be the Mushroom Kingdom fully realized like never before.

Of course, this Masterpiece will also be launching right alongside Mario Kart 9, Pokemon Deep Black and Vast White, Pokemon Legends:Kyurem, and Zelda WindWaker/Twilight Princess HD, in the surrounding months (Most being crossgen with the OG switch, but atleast 3D Mario and Kart will be exclusive)

Last edited:
It's going to be the next 3D Mario, I think. Mario Kart feels like it would be a better at least a month after launch. Also while I could see Prime 4 being there day one, Nintendo isn't going to make that their main attraction at launch I think because even with a limited supply in launch month (2m+) there's no reason to believe Metroid would sell that many consoles or that it would keep up momentum in the following month.

Voted Metroid, even though I know it's not. I wish they could pull off a BotW with the series but that's like 0.1% happening. I don't mean open world, I mean making a game somehow attract new audience, a breakthrough moment for the series.

It's gonna be Mario.

If the console comes in the holidays (as in either October or November), 3D Mario will almost surely be the launch title.

If it comes earlier I think Metroid Prime 4 will be the likeliest launch title with 3D Mario coming soon after.

New Smash Bros will be like 2028 or whatever. But I think Smash Bros Ultimate will get a patch for Switch 2 in its launch window and hopefully get Fighters Pass 3 announced.

2D Zelda will come in 2025, I'm still hopeful on TotK DLC for 2024.

Mario Kart will be 2025.

Donkey Kong will come only to Switch unless Switch 2 is H1 2024. Will get a patch later tho.

Pokémon won't be at launch, will be shortly after, being a November release and cross gen.

first tier title - 3D Open World Mario
second tier title - Metroid Prime 4

It wouldn't be entirely unprecedented
Wii's first fall season after launch in 2007 had SMG + MP3

3D mario. It's the only choice they have if Zelda can't make it.

Metroid prime can, at best, take a xenoblade 2/arms like position where they fart it out in the quieter period of the launch year.

September launch if they can manage it would be ideal IMO

September:
Mario Kart World (w/bonus Metroid themed track ... good cross promotion)
Nintendo low budget party game
Street Fighter 6
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Madden NFL
FC Soccer (FIFA)

October:
Metroid Prime 4
Resident Evil 4 Remake + RE8 ports
NBA 2K

November:
New 3D Mario
Call of Duty
Monster Hunter 6 (yup, calling it)
I'm thinking along these lines, but swap Mario Kart & new 3D Mario so the 3D game is the launch title, and chuck an Animal Crossing spin-off in there for day one to tie in those sweet sweet casual dollars. I'd also wager on at least one Switch remaster (Mario + Rabids 2 is almost definite).

I don't feel totally confident making a solid prediction since Nintendo loves to do the unexpected, but I feel with BoTW launching with Switch they see the undeniable strength in launching a console with a major 1st party title, so I imagine whatever the next console launches with will fit that category.

Despite what I said earlier, a new 3D mario sounds the most likely to me, but I don't expect it to be Odyssey 2.

The next 3D Mario

Koizumi was not only Mr. Switch but also is Mr. 3D Mario so the connection is clear.

Mario Kart would work too as a launch game but I doubt they'll go with it that soon after the Booster Course Pass ends.

New 3d Mario, odyssey 2 is Not happening.

I think the final big switch game will be mp4, it just doesn’t make sense to launch with a currently small ip. If it grows with 4 maybe it could be a contender for future launches. They can alternatively have both mp4 and 3d Mario but that just fucks mp4 out of any chance of doing well.

It’s best to have mp4 launch late switch or late year 1 / year 2 for the switch successor.

Echoing the people here saying 3D Mario but likely not Odyssey 2, that ship has probably sailed for a while now.

Not sure about Prime 4, I still think that game will be positioned as a last hurrah for the Switch that you then can hopefully also play on Switch 2 due to backwards compatiblity.

I'm also not sure about Mario Kart being a good launch title to be completely honest. Yes it's big, possibly their biggest franchise but Mario Kart is more a title you buy when you already have the console. See: Mario Kart 8 climbing the charts again together with Zelda recently, people buy it for Zelda and then think "oh, Mario Kart is also cool".

3D Mario (ReDraketed exclusive) and Metroid Prime 4 (cross-gen release with Switch version).

Also, updates/patches/"4K DLC" for TotK, Pikmin 4, Mario Wonder.

September = Switch 2 releases, Metroid Prime 4 is a launch title (crossgen)
October = Open world 3D Mario game (exclusive)
November = Pokemon BW remakes (crossgen)
December = Either Zelda WW/TP (crossgen) or Mario Kart X (exclusive)

Games coming in early 2025:
Pokemon Legends Unova
Zelda WW/TP/Mario Kart X (if the other comes in December)
Kirby Triple Deluxe remake

I voted 3D Mario, but if that's not it then I really hope it's either a mainline Pokemon game, Mario Kart, or new Smash Bros. Those are the only S-tier franchises that haven't had recent entries that I think could re-produce the effect BOTW had for the Switch. When you look back at Switch sales taking off, it's really BOTW + MK8D carrying the system until Smash with everything else being nice-to-haves. After Smash, a flood of popular 3rd party games arrived that created a virtuous cycle leading to the success of the console.

Other than the games I mentioned, the sneak attack Nintendo could do is major TotK DLC + special graphical enhancements. That announcement would set the world on fire.

It seems like it's time for a new 3D Mario, so that is what I think it will be.

Depending on the launch date I also wouldn't be surprised to see a Pokemon spin-off or remake in the launch window as well. I think The Pokemon Company may have been won over for the Switch 2.

If they have a really strong new Mario Kart, it could be that along with a big 3D action game (maybe Metroid or Mario)

I'm gonna say it's launching in September with Prime 4, and 3D Mario is just a month or two later as the holiday game.

So the switch 2 is rumored for holiday of 2024, what do you guys think the big 1st party game will be? I will go will Mario Odyssey 2. its been forever since the first game it seems like the perfect launch game. My second guess would probably be prime 4 if mario isn't ready by then.
next 3D Mario,

Last edited:
Switch sucessor potencial lineup;
next 3D Mario
Metroid Prime 4(cross-gen)
Monolith Soft action RPG/new IP
2/3 new IP from Nintendo
at least one timed exclusive for a third-party and ports for current/last gen
2D/3D Donkey Kong game (2025)

I voted "other" because I don't think the new 3d Mario is going to be Odyssey 2. But they're absolutely launching with it. Prime 4 will either be a few months before or a few months after.

It'll be 3D Mario and/or new Mario Kart (both games within the release year). It absolutely will not be "Odyssey 2" though, sequel naming convention would only hurt sales.

Either 3D Mario or 3D Donkey Kong, plus Prime 4 crossgen, and maybe some Switch 2 patches for the last two Zeldas.

Back
Top Bottom