• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion We know what makes good difficulty, so what makes good easiness?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3315
  • Start date
Question
  • D

Deleted member 3315

Something I've appreciated about FromSoft's mainstream breakthrough is how we've started to discuss what makes a high difficulty level good. Many have realized that it's easy enough to make a game difficult, but hard to make a game satisfyingly difficult. Most have come to the conclusion that the key to satisfying difficulty is to make it the player's fault for failing rather than the game's fault, therefore encouraging the player to get better.

But while there is frustrating difficulty and satisfying difficulty, I posit that there's boring easiness and satisfying easiness. "Good easiness" can make the player feel powerful right off the bat much like good difficulty can make the player feel powerful because they've earned it; bad easiness can make the player feel bored much like bad difficulty can make the player feel frustrated.

So I'd like to ask: what is the key to good easiness? What separates the usual Kirby feeling-powerful easiness from, say, DS/Wii-era Zelda boring easiness?

Back
    Top Bottom