• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Was there a Super Mario Sunshine remake/reimagining in the works during 2018-2019?

Wockio

Kikwi Enthusiast
Pronouns
He
TL;DR: EPD Tokyo's abscense sus. Isle Delfino cut from Mario Odyssey sus. Sunshine references in Bowser's Fury sus.

Something that frequently comes up during development speculation is what's been up with EPD Tokyo since the release of Super Mario Odyssey, and thinking about this lead me to the following scenario:

You guys remember how Isle Delfino was in the map for Odyssey's promotional materials? And how there's an untextured bump in the geometry of the Odyssey's globe right where Isle Delfino would be? This on its own isn't necessarily conspicuous. All games have cut content, so what? But then in 2021 comes Super Mario 3D World with its brand new sidegame, Bowser's Fury, that for whatever reason incorporates Sunshine elements into its 3D World DNA. Collectibles are back to being shines, Bowser Jr. is here in a central role and he wields his paintbrush for the first time since Sunshine, and the plot is kickstarted by the characters going on a vacation. There is of course a whole lot of water, all while being the first seamless open world 3D Mario, just like the original concept for Sunshine.

What if, during the late stages of Odyssey's development, it was decided to take the Isle Delfino throwback out of the game and repurpose it into a full Sunshine remake that plays just like Odyssey? Perhaps aiming for it to coincide with Mario's 35th anniversary. Think about it, Sunshine would appreciate a remake while being modern enough that it could be adapted to modern standards, unlike 64 which I feel is intrinsically a product of its time down to its level design.

In the middle of development, they see the remake is far too constricting, and decide to turn it into more of a reimagining. But somewhere along the way they hit a roadblock, or perhaps a realization if they are gonna put all that work into modernizing an old game while adding new stuff to it, why not just invest those time and resources into an original game that won't tie them down? And thus, in late 2019, Super Mario Sunshine Remake is cancelled.

Nintendo's top executives decide to fill in the gap left by Sunshine for Mario's 35th with 3D All-Stars and 3D World. However, as to match the standard set by New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and to make the game more appealing, they want 3D World to have its own expansion. With development of the original game having been done over half a decade ago, adding new levels is decided against as some of the original designers may be busy or no longer even around, and levels made by other developers might not fit in with those of the original game. So instead, EPD Tokyo decides to homage their defunct project by repurposing some of its key elements into Bowser's Fury, such as Fury Bowser itself and having it be set in a seamless, open world connected by water. I'm not implying it is a scrapped prototype like it's been suggested, as I feel its roots are too tied to 3D World for it to have been thought of as anything else at any point during development. Rather, they built a 3D World game that repurposes some concepts originally envisioned for a separate project.

At some point after that, work began on the new 3D Mario now targetting Nintendo's next system, and a 2D game that is for now speculated to be Donkey Kong. Then there is the restructuring of their offices some time in 2020, and of course the pandemic, and it's easy to see why they have been absent for so long, but I think that's set to change with the launch of the next console and hopefully 3D Mario to go alongside it.

Last edited:
Doubtful. 3D All Stars was probably already plannned and if just going by references veers way too much into conspiracy theory time. Not to mention that unlike TTYD, Sunshine is seen as a black sheep of 3D Mario and considering companies' usual approach to remakes is remaking what already was seen as nearly perfect most of the time and not a divisive game due to PR nightmare that can create (imagine juggling both "It's Mario you love" but also trying to appeal to people who hate that game with a passion), I'd say it never existed. If it did, it didn't go past someone's daydream because if at least one level was remade you'd imagine they'd stuck it somewhere as a reference.

I don't think so. Isle Delfino being in the globes on promotional material was probably just a fun Easter egg for the fans, much like the DK stuff in New Donk City.

Bowser's Fury is clearly inspired by Sunshine, but it's 3D World-based gameplay just makes it quite obvious it was mostly made based on ideas that were brought to that game and not Odyssey, a potential sequel nor Sunshine. Would be way too tight of a schedule if they only started working on it by (late?) 2019.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury was intended to be a holiday 2020 game. Seeing that All-Stars released that September, all the Mario 35th anniversary stuff and even more being planned, it was probably decided years in advance. They wouldn't just release bland 3D Worlds after releasing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and NSMBU DX(which had a full expansion included + new character), so they'd have to get some new story content and that's why Bowser's Fury was green lit.

I think they will eventually remake Super Mario Sunshine and sell as a standalone game, but that will probably be mid-late on Switch 2's life(and that's if they don't remake 64 or Galaxy 1 and 2 first).

I think maybe all those threads you're sensing were just things leaning towards Bowser's Fury.

They may have planned a Delfino area in Odyssey and then removed it. That's all, I think.

Nah I don't buy it. 3D All Stars was definitely already planned by late 2017/early 2018. The game was supposed to release early 2020 according to rumors at the time.

I definitely believe that a Delphino Plaza level was planned for Odyssey though, just like how we got the Castle as a throwback to 64.

And the callbacks in Bowser's Fury were just there because thematically it worked. (And probably because EPD is fond of Sunshine's weirdness too)

I just think that EPD took some time to experiment with 3D Mario after Odyssey, some of those tests found their way into Bowser's Fury (it might have been developped by NST, it still was designed by EPD), and then it's probably a bit of taking their time to find a good concept, and realizing the release of the next console isn't far away so let's do it as the next console launch title.

It's an interesting theory, although I'm not entirely convinced. Mostly because I couldn't see them fully canceling a project like that, and repurposing it into a 3D World side-mode. If they really had a Sunshine reimagining in the works with that many new ideas, they probably would have just converted it into a "Super Mario Sunshine 2" and kept on going.

It's probably just Nintendo realizing that the age for nostalgia pandering is no longer the NES era, it's stuff from around 20-ish years ago

Ideally no, since we live in the worst timeline if that was scrapped.

I don't think so. Isle Delfino being in the globes on promotional material was probably just a fun Easter egg for the fans, much like the DK stuff in New Donk City.

Bowser's Fury is clearly inspired by Sunshine, but it's 3D World-based gameplay just makes it quite obvious it was mostly made based on ideas that were brought to that game and not Odyssey, a potential sequel nor Sunshine. Would be way too tight of a schedule if they only started working on it by (late?) 2019.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury was intended to be a holiday 2020 game. Seeing that All-Stars released that September, all the Mario 35th anniversary stuff and even more being planned, it was probably decided years in advance. They wouldn't just release bland 3D Worlds after releasing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and NSMBU DX(which had a full expansion included + new character), so they'd have to get some new story content and that's why Bowser's Fury was green lit.

I think they will eventually remake Super Mario Sunshine and sell as a standalone game, but that will probably be mid-late on Switch 2's life(and that's if they don't remake 64 or Galaxy 1 and 2 first).
definitely not an easter egg, lol. It’s not meant to be seen. They scrubbed everything off except for the normal mapping

Back
Top Bottom