• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Discussion Was Switch Sports overhated?

Was Switch Sports overhated?

• Total voters
people dismissing the sportsmates as “average” or better need to be aware that they’ve began hijacking other games, such as Tekken 8.
Tekken-8_2023_08-22-23_043.jpg

pretty soon every game character will be replaced by these horrifying copies.

the actual “sports” part of NSS is fine though. it’s likely these abominations snuck in without Nintendo noticing.

Quoted by: Tye
I think it did a fantastic job of being a successor and standing on its own without trying too hard to exactly replicate Wii Sports. The music and graphical design is superb, it builds an immersive atmosphere of this beautiful utopian society, online features are mostly integrated quite smoothly, and a sort of battle royale bowling is a terrific concept to build on to. It does need more games to feel like a worthwhile package, it's really odd how every sports related game from Nintendo this whole generation suffered from launching half-baked and then doing too little too late content updates.

As someone who always found Miis to be cringe, overused, and just aesthetically ruining everything they're in, I personally throw all my support behind Switch Sports just to help erase Miis and potentially replace them with Sportsmates completely. They're literally like human equivalent to Splatoon's Inklings/Octolings, they've got just enough of a style to them to stand out while leaving room for flexibility, and they can even be furries too??

I think if they made a sequel it should take some influence from F-Zero 99's tournaments structure, add some Pilotwings inspired activities, and turn it into a sort of Fall Guys gauntlet of elimiation events.

people dismissing the sportsmates as “average” or better need to be aware that they’ve began hijacking other games, such as Tekken 8.
Tekken-8_2023_08-22-23_043.jpg

pretty soon every game character will be replaced by these horrifying copies.

the actual “sports” part of NSS is fine though. it’s likely these abominations snuck in without Nintendo noticing.
Sportsmates are nowhere near as terrible looking as these, lol. Sportsmates actually look good in their game—they actually look better than Miis within the game, too, despite Sportsmates’ more limited customization, though that’s largely due to having far superior models, textures, and animations (which is why we need a new visual overhaul for Miis on the next system to bring them in line with modern rendering techniques while still keeping the same iconic, simple designs).

Sportsmates are nowhere near as terrible looking as these, lol. Sportsmates actually look good in their game—they actually look better than Miis within the game, too, despite Sportsmates’ more limited customization, though that’s largely due to having far superior models, textures, and animations (which is why we need a new visual overhaul for Miis on the next system to bring them in line with modern rendering techniques while still keeping the same iconic, simple designs).
Yeah I thought the stylised look of sportsmates was way nicer than the characters above.

My only disappointment with it is that half the time you can't even play classic bowling, they put you in the challenges session and you can't even chose.

Beyond that it played well and I loved unlocking stuff for my character even if that worked way too much on FOMO and I disliked that, and because of that I don't really want to go back cause I'm just thinking "I probably missed way too many cool cosmetics"

Ehhh, I’d say no. The new sports range from pointless to outright bad, and Chambara is a waste of time.

Great way to play the big 3 sports, I’d go so far to say Switch sports is the best appearance yet for each. But the lack of baseball and side modes, plus the price tag, make it a product that deserved the criticism it got.

Switch Sports is not overhated as far as the criticism is focused on its content roll-out and the sportsmates.

But Switch Sports Soccer is underpraised as the clearest destillation of soccer fundamentals into video game form.

Hazy memories from a year ago:

I like Sporcco Square and played it quite a lot when it was released. It felt like it was really set up for expansions that never came, though. Like it really feels like there was supposed to be some water sports in the harbour. I don’t know why we only got Golf.

Also they should have allowed more variety in outfits. There were a lot of full tracksuits, but I wanted to mix and match tops and bottoms to add more variety.

Ehhh, I’d say no. The new sports range from pointless to outright bad, and Chambara is a waste of time.

Great way to play the big 3 sports, I’d go so far to say Switch sports is the best appearance yet for each. But the lack of baseball and side modes, plus the price tag, make it a product that deserved the criticism it got.
Badminton rules. Apologize!

Yes it was. And hear me out. Its better than Wii Sports. I know I just started a war by saying that but it has bowling, soccer, Tennis, Bad Minton, and sword fighting. AND THEY ALL SUPPORT ONLINE PLAY something wii sports does not have only Wii Sports Club on Wii U had that which no one ever talks about sadly.

Think about it? Who is around to play wii sports with you? I know I dont, If I wanna play Wii Sports I have the wii one to play with cpus or the switch one to play with real people online.

idg why people love wii sports and then complain about switch sports. Yea the miis are better than the switch sports charectors but thats the only thing better on wii sports. Wii sports cant even hold a candle to switch sports.

Back
Top Bottom