• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic WarioWare: Move It! |ST| Mario all work. Wario all play!

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
5b072b55e8a6993071b4cde9f74d9cf7aeac0b52141177efed6c8ce9b580a435

Release Date: November 3rd, 2023 (All regions)
MSRP: $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99
Developer: Nintendo / Intelligent Systems
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1 -4 players
Controls: Traditional button controls and motion controls
Controllers: Joycons
Online Multiplayer: Yes, subscription to Nintendo Switch Online needed

Metacritic: 75
Opencritic: 75
________________________________________________________________________​

Story Mode​

Help Wario complete a series of lightning-fast microgames to escape the Woods Watchers!
You can play Story Mode with a pair of Joy-Con controllers or a second player* can join in some couch co-op fun with another set of Joy-Con controllers.

Fantastic form​

The secret to these madcap minigames is perfecting your form. Some of these will require some…um…unique movements! Here are just a few you’ll have to master!

Microgame mania​

Grab a pair of Joy-Con™ controllers and get moving as you gently shake, punch, dance, wiggle, and even curtsey through over 200 lightning-fast microgames (minigames that last just a few hilarious seconds). Chop bamboo, break out of jail, return a curtsey, and more as you master some really ridiculous moves.

Party Mode​

Up to 4 players*, each with one Joy-Con controller, can laugh out loud in the local Party Mode’s minigames, like a board game with Wario-style rules!

Previous entries in the franchise:
145px-Wario-ware-inc-mega-microgamesUSA.jpg
145px-Wwt.jpg
145px-WWDS.jpg
145px-Smooth_moves_cover.jpg

145px-WarioWare_Snapped_logo.png
145px-USWarioDIY.png
145px-Box_NA_-_Game_%26_Wario.png
145px-WarioWare_Gold_NA_cover.png
warioware-get-it-together-boxart.jpg

I like WarioWare games, and generally I personally love and prefer stupid, goofy, silly, absurd humor, but I wonder if something like WarioWare — which is so deeply rooted in creating absolutely ridiculous scenarios, sometimes crossing over the line of gross and cringe — at this point feels dated, very mid-2000s, and doesn't really feel like it's evolved much since. Maybe it's good enough for Nintendo for something to this to have a pretty small base audience, but I wonder how much longer this type of presentation has. Microgames are a great gameplay concept, but couching it in nose picking and farting and all that, doesn't quite appeal like it once did. Maybe it's less of that now, but it's still my go-to reaction when seeing a new WarioWare.

Even though it hasn't been that long since GIT I'm pretty excited to pick up my copy tomorrow. Smooth Moves is one of my favorite WarioWare games so I'm curious to see how well the motion controls are implemented.

I like WarioWare games, and generally I personally love and prefer stupid, goofy, silly, absurd humor, but I wonder if something like WarioWare — which is so deeply rooted in creating absolutely ridiculous scenarios, sometimes crossing over the line of gross and cringe — at this point feels dated, very mid-2000s, and doesn't really feel like it's evolved much since. Maybe it's good enough for Nintendo for something to this to have a pretty small base audience, but I wonder how much longer this type of presentation has. Microgames are a great gameplay concept, but couching it in nose picking and farting and all that, doesn't quite appeal like it once did. Maybe it's less of that now, but it's still my go-to reaction when seeing a new WarioWare.
This is an oversimplification of the humor in these games. There are maybe 3 or 4 microgames per game with what you're describing. Most of the humor comes broadly from incongruous elements mashed together, which is not what you're describing

the thing is that children are still being born

i think you’re describing “aging”

I don't know, I'm always cracking up when playing these games even after all this time. I hate toilet humor but it's really a very small part of WarioWare, it leans into all kinds of zany, stupid, random and unexpected humor.

I get that the gameplay hasn't evolved much and it might feel stale but hell, I still have a lot of fun with it, I don't need it to change drastically over each entry. In fact, when they tried something different in Get It Together, a lot of people just asked for it to go back to the old formula (and I say that as someone who loved GiT).

I think the franchise still has a lot of untapped potential as a party game, though, and that's probably the direction they need to take the franchise to. They dipped their toes into it several times but I feel like they never fully committed to it (or when they did, it was uncohesive and poorly executed like Game and Wario). Move It seems to be going for a more fully realized multiplayer experience, so let's see how it goes.

Regardless, I'm just very happy to have a new WarioWare to play, I love this series and hope it never fades out.

A real surprise cameo in here:

UEiy3Db.png
SivTHIE.png

I can't believe WarioWare is two decades old and the very first time a Wario Land character crosses into Ware it's not Syrup or even Rudy or Shokora, it's random Wario Land 4 boss Cractus.

Can't complain though, need to take any scraps.

Anyone know if I need to buy an extra pair
of joy cons to play multiplayer?
From what I saw for general multiplayer you need the other player to have another pair of joycons, but it seems like some (or at least 1) of the multiplayer option uses just one joycon. This is what I gathered watching that overview trailer they released the other day.

Even though this game is unlikely to surpass Smooth Moves for me given that it doesn’t have a 12-player mode like that did, I know I’m gonna have an absolute blast with it and it will no doubt become a new go-to party game for me (even though it only supports four players, sadly—though unlike other so-called “party” games like Mario Party, this one can actually be fun for the non-players by watching how ridiculous the players look while playing, lol).

Really looking forward to playing this for the weekend. WarioWare games are treasures.

A real surprise cameo in here:

UEiy3Db.png
SivTHIE.png

I can't believe WarioWare is two decades old and the very first time a Wario Land character crosses into Ware it's not Syrup or even Rudy or Shokora, it's random Wario Land 4 boss Cractus.

Can't complain though, need to take any scraps.

Really hope this means more Wario land/ Ware crossover in the future. Also, they made him less scary and that sucks

Last edited:
Eager to read impressions from folks here on how it compares to other games

I’ve played only coop with my 11 year old and she loves it. I can see how the initial explanation of the poses slows the pace of the game, but once you have them down Pat, it’s pretty straight forward. Some games it isn’t super obvious what you have to do, but it’s been fun once you work them out.

Enjoying so far but definitely need to play more

Gonna wait a few days until getting my copy because for some reason it took quite a lot of days for both Gold and Get it Together copies to come to my country/city

This game is okay. This is coming from someone that didn't even find smooth moves all that interesting back in the day (and I was a child). I really like touched and twisted. Peak of this franchise.

Thing I like about touched and twisted is that every character had a very specific theme and style of play. Whereas in smooth moves and this, they just throw you a few random forms for each. It's a me thing.

After having read/listen to many opinions on the latest warioware and its motion controls implementation, I once again was reminded why I have so much expectation for a better solution on switch 2. Having played it myself with others, Nintendo really must step up on something they created themselves but are now far from what the technology can offer. I just don't know if people who have already given up on motion controls would be enticed to try it again with better tech, IF that happens...

But for me, as someone who completely understands how 3DoF controllers work, I can extract some fun of it. And it's not as bad as Switch Sports IMO.

After having read/listen to many opinions on the latest warioware and its motion controls implementation, I once again was reminded why I have so much expectation for a better solution on switch 2. Having played it myself with others, Nintendo really must step up on something they created themselves but are now far from what the technology can offer. I just don't know if people who have already given up on motion controls would be enticed to try it again with better tech, IF that happens...

But for me, as someone who completely understands how 3DoF controllers work, I can extract some fun of it. And it's not as bad as Switch Sports IMO.
I don't really understand what you mean about the motion controls. They are accurate. The problem is warioware is bite-sized microgames. They all work.
Not sure what you are getting at here lol.

I don't really understand what you mean about the motion controls. They are accurate. The problem is warioware is bite-sized microgames. They all work.
Not sure what you are getting at here lol.
I have to agree, i’ve not found a micro game yet that doesn’t work as it’s supposed to. Sure, I’ve had some where it hasn’t been obvious what you need to do, but when I know what to do, I’m able to execute it as expected. ( the only exception to this, is the dropping Joycon mechanic, but I’m still yet to get the timing right on this)

A great example is the early game with the birthday candles and the water squirting ants. First few tries we just couldn’t get it, until we realised that you can relight the candles in a few different ways. Once we had that, it all came down to the execution, which was all on us as once we got our movements right, it mirrored them on screen perfectly.

I wonder if some of this is the unconventionally way you are expected to hold the Joycon. It’s certainly an odd thing to get used too;take the Choo Choo pose for example, rather than having the joycon flat in your hands as natural, you have them side on. If you don’t, it can easily stuff up the motion sensing (but the game itself is quite clear on this position)

Last edited:
If it works perfectly for you, that's great.
Some of them don't work in emulation btw. Just an FYI. Also the forms are guidelines. You shouldn't make the same movements in each form. Sometimes in squat they want you to WIDEN your legs. other times they want you to RAISE your leg. ETC ETC. or in catch, they want you to RELEASE YOUR ARMS from your leg.

It's a highly contextual game. The forms are mere guidelines. There is a bit of a learning curve.

I tried to LIFT my leg to avoid something in one when I was supposed to MOVE MY ASS to the left to SHIFT over. lol for example.

Some of them don't work on the emulator

Not playing on emulator.

Tbh I'm not in the mood to explain the differences between 3DoF and 6DoF, and what the problems are. You'll see people complaining about the motion controls accuracy in reviews, and I know what they're talking about. But like I said, if it just works for you, that's great.

Some of them don't work in emulation btw. Just an FYI. Also the forms are guidelines. You shouldn't make the same movements in each form. Sometimes in squat they want you to WIDEN your legs. other times they want you to RAISE your leg. ETC ETC. or in catch, they want you to RELEASE YOUR ARMS from your leg.

It's a highly contextual game. The forms are mere guidelines. There is a bit of a learning curve.

I tried to LIFT my leg to avoid something in one when I was supposed to MOVE MY ASS to the left to SHIFT over. lol for example.

The shoulder abduction to drop somthing from between your arms gets me every time 😂

Not playing on emulator.

Tbh I'm not in the mood to explain the differences between 3DoF and 6DoF, and what the problems are. You'll see people complaining about the motion controls accuracy in reviews, and I know what they're talking about. But like I said, if it just works for you, that's great.
I don't think super accurate motion controls will matter for anything that isn't a super long form action RPG. Like a full on virtual reality game. We are so far away from that being a realistic goal. The big game companies aren't investing in that yet. Wii was a cute experiment. Virtual reality is far off. IMO.

Plus people kinda just dont' like motion controls because they wear you out faster lol.

Usually just want to relax when playing a game. So that brings motion controls BACK into a niche of like shortform stuff like sports games and stuff.
Where it's not that necessary for ultra accurate cutting edge motion lol

I’ve just got my head around 3dof and 6 dof, and I don’t think that Move It does anything that would need the 6 degrees of movement. Reading around Labo VR, apparently it is achievable with the Joycon in a very specific way during the elephant drawing game, but isn’t used anywhere else

I don't think super accurate motion controls will matter for anything that isn't a super long form action RPG. Like a full on virtual reality game. We are so far away from that being a realistic goal. The big game companies aren't investing in that yet. Wii was a cute experiment. Virtual reality is far off. IMO.

Plus people kinda just dont' like motion controls because they wear you out faster lol.

Well, I disagree with everything. I think motion controls are great and can delivery a completely different experience, but the problem is that it doesn't work as it should. People who hate skyward sword with motion controls do so because of how frustrating it gets because the controls are terrible, both in accuracy and drift.

That's just the limitation of a 3DoF solution. If we had something on the level of the original Oculus Quest, it would be so much better, and many people who hate motion because of it not working properly could have the experience they imagined they should have (if they give another chance).

Anyway, we have different opinions on motion controls, not only about how they work in practice but also what they could be doing (in a future product), and the impact it would have for players (specially the casuals). So let's agree in disagree, and enjoy the game.

Well, I disagree with everything. I think motion controls are great and can delivery a completely different experience, but the problem is that it doesn't work as it should. People who hate skyward sword with motion controls do so because of how frustrating it gets because the controls are terrible, both in accuracy and drift.

That's just the limitation of a 3DoF solution. If we had something on the level of the original Oculus Quest, it would be so much better, and many people who hate motion because of it not working properly could have the experience they imagined they should have (if they give another chance).

Anyway, we have different opinions on motion controls, not only about how they work in practice but also what they could be doing (in a future product), and the impact it would have for players (specially the casuals). So let's agree in disagree, and enjoy the game.
I LOVE skyward sword. I don't think better motion controls will convince people to like a game like that.

It's going to need a virtual reality headset and a 360 treadmill thing for something like that. Still unsure if people would play a game like that for hours. People are lazy.

I was just playing Bell Chorus and tried to increase the game speed. Oh, boy. Only relying on the accelerometer is really bad. Back to lower speeds it is

I don't think better motion controls will convince people to like a game like that.

I liked the game overall (even though there are many things I didn't like), but I hated the controls. Inaccuracy and drift almost made me give up (and I wouldn't play it with that [also] horrible non motion option). But now we are drifting from this thread’s purpose lol

Sorry if this has been asked, but how does the game play on a Switch Lite?

I tried tabletop mode for you on my V1 Switch and it's playable...
Lite has a smaller screen, but if you can get it to be on a good height so you can see the screen properly, it might be enough. But it's hard to talk about this as it's subjective. And keep in mind I played microgames I already knew who to play.

People who hate skyward sword with motion controls do so because of how frustrating it gets because the controls are terrible, both in accuracy and drift.

I hate it because it's a lot of fucking work to drop a simple bomb, when I could have done it with a button. The game feels exhausting and overly complicated to play when every little action needs me to swing my arms a certain way.

I was going to play Twisted to fend off my impulse to buy this... but uh, seems I imagined that coming to NSO?!

I hate it because it's a lot of fucking work to drop a simple bomb, when I could have done it with a button. The game feels exhausting and overly complicated to play when every little action needs me to swing my arms a certain way.
Exactly, the motion controls were overused. We should have got a proper remake where most actions are regularly button based and motion is used only for bow and the flying bug thing

Back
Top Bottom