• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Virtual Reality Gaming |ST| Show me your Moves

1upmuffin

Sand Pounder
Community Liaison
WARNING: VR Haters are NOT allowed in this thread. Also we know Facebook has awful practices, please keep that somewhere else.

With that out of the way, VR gaming RULES. Filled with experiences that are simply not possible in VR, as well as ones that are vastly improved by it.

If you're new to VR gaming, welcome! There's 3 main ways to play at the moment, PSVR, PC VR, and Quest 2.

PSVR

Requirements: PS5 or PS4, as well as the PS4 camera (The PS5 camera WILL NOT WORK), you also need an adapter if you want to play on PS5, and a Dual Shock 4, Dualsense will not work for the recommended games below.
Cost: Hard to say, generally $400 or less if you want to get a used one (recommended tbh)
Should I buy one? Amazing games, but controls aren't the best, and PSVR 2 is being worked on, so I'd only recommend if you can find an inexpensive unit + camera somewhere
Recommended games (all of these use the Dual Shock 4 controller)
  • Astro Bot: Top 2 vr game as of 2021. Absolutely awesome platformer that feels so immersive in VR. Very imaginative and clever. A must must play if you have PSVR.
  • Resident Evil 7: Great horror game in VR, you aim with your head which is odd but makes shooting a lot more satisfying in RE7.
  • Wipeout Omega: Fast racing game in VR, very fun

PC VR

Requirements: Gaming PC with the right ports depending on which VR set you choose
Cost: Varies a lot, I'd recommend getting a Quest 2 with a link cable, Quest 2 is $300, and link cable is $80.
Should I play PC VR? If you have a PC that can run it, absolutely, there's a lot of stuff here that is not on Quest or PSVR
Recommended games:
  • Beat Saber (rhythm game that is on all VR platforms, but on PSVR you cannot download custom music and the Move controllers are not accurate enough)
  • Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades - Gun simulator, not that much actual game here besides some fun minigames, but really impressive title, and one I go back to often. Very frequently updated.
  • Half Life Alyx: A full Half Life game in VR, it lives up to the hype, a must play.
  • Lone Echo 1 and 2: Story based zero gravity games on a space station (I think?). I haven't played these but I really want to. They are on the Oculus store but should work on any headset with some minor workarounds.

Quest 2
Requirements: Just the Quest 2
Cost: Starts at $300
Should I get a Quest 2? If you don't mind the very annoying Facebook requirements, this is the easiest to recommend VR set at the moment. Low entry cost plus can be used with a PC.
Recommended games:
  • Beat Saber (again)
  • Walkabout Mini Golf (Also on PC VR): one of the most fun Minigolf games I've ever played, with a ton of content, including two versions of every course (with different hole layouts), and bonus objectives on each course version, first of which is fine a hidden golf ball, and the second is a scavenger hunt. Has online MP too.
  • RE4 VR: I haven't played this yet but it seems like a great port of RE4 to VR, I really want to get it if I ever get a Quest 2

Questions

What have you been playing in VR recently?

Any game recommendations you'd like to share?

PS: Play Gorilla Tag on PC or Quest 2, very fun, not for new VR players, very fast moving.

Just bought Resident Evil 4 VR, excited to try it out.

I've been doing VR gaming in various forms since 2017, it's come a long way since the first iteration of the Oculus Rift. Now exclusively I use the Quest 2 headset and Air Link for more demanding games, and it's quite the flawless experience. The freedom of no wires is amazing.

Half Life: Alyx is a must play. The Pixel Ripped games are a crazy nostalgia trip that brought me back to my 90s childhood.

I gotta be honest though, the game I love jumping into for the social aspect is VR chat. I've done a bunch of random stuff from scary player-made games to even Among Us VR, which was my most played VR game for a long time. The social interactions in VR chat are a lot of fun and create interesting experiences I wouldn't be able to get in any other sort of gaming space.

Most of my VR gaming these days has been WipEout Omega and Gran Turismo Sport in VR, mainly because I've been prioritizing other platforms so I've missed a lot of the new releases. Next VR game I'm looking forwards to is the PSVR port of Stride which should also come alongside the campaign update for the other versions of the game.

Any tips for reducing fogging up the lenses when starting on a Quest 2?
It's a bit annoying having to wipe the lenses pretty frequently when starting on a game.

Another one I really like but forgot to mention is the PC VR game Jet Island, open world hoverboard game with grappling hooks, VR legs REQUIRED, as this game can be VERY fast.

VR makes me a little sad right now. I used to play Elite Dangerous in VR almost daily, bought a good HOTAS for it and all and honestly, it was just outright amazing as everything was to scale. Neutron Stars are terrifying when all that's between them and you is a thin layer of cockpit glass, which can break. Until you learn that with a fuel scoop, you can harvest the spinning death nightmares and use them for super-long hyperjumps.

Anyway, why sad? Elite isn't being developed for VR as of the Odyssey expansion. What is there works, but if it breaks, it's done. I just haven't had the heart to go sit in my spaceships anymore.

So, I got a good joystick and a Rift S for my PC... and nothing really to fly. Star Wars Squadrons is fun, sure, but it's too multiplayer for my tastes. I wish there was a game like Elite, only singleplayer and VR from the ground up with HOTAS support. Cockpit games are just amazing in VR.

Glad to see this thread popping up, I was surprised to see no RE4VR ST since launch.

Also, play RE4VR, it's that good!

Glad to see this thread popping up, I was surprised to see no RE4VR ST since launch.

Also, play RE4VR, it's that good!

I got a Quest 2 yesterday and this is the first thing I tried. Really cool, even though its a port of an old game it really feels like they put a ton of work into the VR conversion, feels like a proper big VR game, my first since Alyx.

VR makes me a little sad right now. I used to play Elite Dangerous in VR almost daily, bought a good HOTAS for it and all and honestly, it was just outright amazing as everything was to scale. Neutron Stars are terrifying when all that's between them and you is a thin layer of cockpit glass, which can break. Until you learn that with a fuel scoop, you can harvest the spinning death nightmares and use them for super-long hyperjumps.

Anyway, why sad? Elite isn't being developed for VR as of the Odyssey expansion. What is there works, but if it breaks, it's done. I just haven't had the heart to go sit in my spaceships anymore.

So, I got a good joystick and a Rift S for my PC... and nothing really to fly. Star Wars Squadrons is fun, sure, but it's too multiplayer for my tastes. I wish there was a game like Elite, only singleplayer and VR from the ground up with HOTAS support. Cockpit games are just amazing in VR.
Are they planning on fixing the VR support eventually? Elite Dangerous was always a game I wanted to play in VR :(

Are they planning on fixing the VR support eventually? Elite Dangerous was always a game I wanted to play in VR :(
At the moment, no. There's nothing to fix as it's not a supported feature anymore.

But if you want to play a grindy loot shooter that's occasionally a spaceship sim that used to be in VR, I know just the game. Yeah, I don't know why you'd want to play that either.

I’m strongly considering spending what was originally my PS5 upgrade money on a Quest 2.

The biggest draws for me are the exercise programs available (Supernatural, FitXR, TotF, Beatsaber) and the recently announced lazy eye treatment program coming in 2022 (for my kid). Maybe I’ll play RE4 VR or other games along those lines as well. I no longer have a gaming-spec PC, and probably won’t assemble a new one until at least 2023.

I’m a bit concerned about the longevity of the platform and the IPD adjustment of the device (my IPD is 58ish and I wear glasses). Advice/feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I’m strongly considering spending what was originally my PS5 upgrade money on a Quest 2.

The biggest draws for me are the exercise programs available (Supernatural, FitXR, TotF, Beatsaber) and the recently announced lazy eye treatment program coming in 2022 (for my kid). Maybe I’ll play RE4 VR or other games along those lines as well. I no longer have a gaming-spec PC, and probably won’t assemble a new one until at least 2023.

I’m a bit concerned about the longevity of the platform and the IPD adjustment of the device (my IPD is 58ish and I wear glasses). Advice/feedback would be appreciated.

Can’t comment on the IPD stuff or whether it’s a better buy than a PS5 but I think it’s such a great value at 300 USD, and there’s definitely enough content to justify. As for longevity, I think we’re at least 2 years away from Quest 3 so I think it’s still a safe buy, especially since they just announced GTA VR.

RE4 is a must play IMO.

Is it permissible to post Oculus/Meta referral codes, possibly through DM or hidden content as necessary? I’m setting my Quest 2 up tomorrow and would prefer to give credit to Fami.

Set it up with a referral from CAG.

Here’s mine ($30 credit for each of us if you use it before setting up your device):
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom