• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Video game songs/pieces of music that use samples from other video game tracks and/or other songs?

Phil32

Superhero
Pronouns
he/him
Hi, Fami! I don't know if I phrased my topic correctly, but I was listening to the Street Fighter IV soundtrack today after playing Balan Wonderworld a while back (it was on PlayStation Plus before and I was curious ha), and both soundtracks are really, really delightful! They also share a sample between each, the chanting heard at the start of this energetic piece from SFIV:

And the chanting heard in this slower tempo track from Balan Wonderworld.

They sound like the same samples to me. I thought that was fun, and I thought it'd be fun to see if anyone had any other examples! Doesn't need to be obscure, but that's always fun too! :D

if I understand the prompt correctly, Nintendo's love of Roland's Scat Jazz should apply

I think this works in line with the topic idea! :D Thank you, Raccoon!

I thought of another one! From Mario Hoops 3-on-3's CD version of its soundtrack (and from Masayoshi Soken before his FFXIV and FFXVI days hehe!):

The "You're too blind to see it" is also heard in this song, though from an anime (one I'm unfamiliar with, sadly)--I think I got the timestamp right:

probably the rawest example I can think of (being a video game song which is directly sampling another video game song, rather than just happening to use the same sound from a sample library.) is Onett’s arcade having a brief snippet of Xevious’s BGM.

the game also of course uses samples from a few popular songs, but I do wonder if this in particular was the real culprit in why it took so long to get re-released.

Dragon Ball's Kenji Yamamoto the thread? :p

Still a crying shame he flew too close and started ripping off just released blockbuster films (Avatar and Terminator Salvation) which was surely why he got burned right then. I get that plagiarism is bad, but he had a gift of making songs his own and honestly introduced me to stuff I never heard of before, like the band/album Propaganda. Like holy shit the ending of The Chase sounds more DBZ then his version from the Trunks vs. Frieza fight... HOW?! 🤣

And yes, much of his most famous work were from the Budokai games. ;)

This one is definitely just from it being on the same sample CD that Sega's composers had access to, but it will always amuse me how 2 of my favourite series share a tiny musical connection.

Another one is one that's always been a bit of a mystery to me, is Big Foot from F-Zero X Expansion Kit. It's very obvious what it sounds like, but I wonder if they were copying Metallica, or copying Doom copying Metallica. We'll probably never know, but both feel just as likely personally.

Also, might not be what comes to mind as sample sharing, but I always love when games just use the same soundfont as another game, Pizza Tower does this with Wario Land 4 and WarioWare DIY for a few songs, but my favourite example has to be Undertale and Deltarune's soundtracks. Probably the most famous example is Dogsong using the Mario Paint dog, or Amalgam using Earthbound's Beach Boys sample, but I think one of my favourite usages of another soundfont is The World Revolving using the Mario 64 pipe organ for it's lead.

My favourite direct example of directly sampling a game OST itself has to be Big Shot sampling Power of NEO from Undertale though. The section where it goes on what I can only describe as a sample solo actually made me so excited when I heard it. Sampling your own game, that already sampled other games, specifically to connect characters is just so cool.

In the vein of the Roland Scat Jazz example, there are certain random instrument samples that have become extremely recognizable. Like the SC-88 french horns, icon of a generation.

I'm pretty sure they still see regular use.

And on a similar note:
Also, might not be what comes to mind as sample sharing, but I always love when games just use the same soundfont as another game, Pizza Tower does this with Wario Land 4 and WarioWare DIY for a few songs, but my favourite example has to be Undertale and Deltarune's soundtracks. Probably the most famous example is Dogsong using the Mario Paint dog, or Amalgam using Earthbound's Beach Boys sample, but I think one of my favourite usages of another soundfont is The World Revolving using the Mario 64 pipe organ for it's lead.

My favourite direct example of directly sampling a game OST itself has to be Big Shot sampling Power of NEO from Undertale though. The section where it goes on what I can only describe as a sample solo actually made me so excited when I heard it. Sampling your own game, that already sampled other games, specifically to connect characters is just so cool.

Undertale also features the SD-90 trumpet sample, forever associated with Touhou due to the creator's eternal obsession with it.

Bizarrely, this is not even the Undyne theme that sounds the most like Touhou music.

Also you're vastly understating Pizza Tower with "a few songs". It makes extremely heavy use of samples from a lot of games. Tunnely Shimbers alone includes samples from Wario Land 4, Touhou, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Star Fox 64, Mega Man and Bass, Chrono Trigger, Mother 3, and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. Way of the Pig has the bass from F-Zero, sounds just like Red Canyon. Elsewhere there's Live a Live, Earthbound, Rhythm Heaven, Super Mario World, GBA Pokemon, and more. Plus there are a ton of CD samples. One of the unused tracks has the "work that sucker to death" from Sonic CD.

This thread needs a link to the VGM Sound Sources spreadsheet, which is a super cool resource which you can use to find out exactly where the samples are from for tons of games. Think it exists because people needed to know this to make SiIvagunner shitposts or something.

Also you're vastly understating Pizza Tower with "a few songs". It makes extremely heavy use of samples from a lot of games. Tunnely Shimbers alone includes samples from Wario Land 4, Touhou, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Star Fox 64, Mega Man and Bass, Chrono Trigger, Mother 3, and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. Way of the Pig has the bass from F-Zero, sounds just like Red Canyon. Elsewhere there's Live a Live, Earthbound, Rhythm Heaven, Super Mario World, GBA Pokemon, and more. Plus there are a ton of CD samples. One of the unused tracks has the "work that sucker to death" from Sonic CD.
Don't worry, I know about all the other usages of soundfonts and samples, I just mentioned that a couple songs use specifically Wario related ones because of it's inspirations, like all the secret themes are WarioWare DIY and Pizzascape's second theme very clearly using Wario Land 4 instruments, with early versions even sampling Charles Martinet's lines from that game.

And that last part, the song isn't unused anymore since the Noise update added the multiplayer character select that the song plays on as a secret unlock.

Back
Top Bottom