• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion VGC News:Sonic publisher Sega has suggested it could start charging $70 for some of its new releases.

Johna X

Boo
Pronouns
He/Him

Sega Sammy CEO Haruki Satomi and CFO Koichi Fukazawa were asked about the possibility of raising game prices during a Q&A session following the publication of the company’s full-year earnings in April.

“In the global marketplace, AAA game titles for console have been sold at $59.99 for many years, but titles sold at $69.99 have appeared in the last year,” Sega said in a newly published English transcript of the event.

“We would like to review the prices of titles that we believe are commensurate with price increases, while also keeping an eye on market conditions.”

Kind of ironic to see coming off of this , but I do need to be fair and accurate and clarify that this is SEGA of America's doing and the price thing is SEGA Of Japan (or just Sega Sammy)

I've said before... maybe not here, but in general that I can accept $70 if A.It coincides with higher pay (I've seen some argue games are a steal these days for years but I've never seen evidence the price has any bearing on the actual devs, realistically much of the 69.99 increases will go towards the pockets of bumbling CEOs) and B.I think, honestly for Nintendo specifically I'm thinking this but it couldn't hurt others, it needs to coincide with a greater range of price opening up. If 70 were to be the new standard for Nintendo rather then a globalization of what they did for Smash and BOTW (which I'm iffy on, they can get away with 3d Mario and mario kart being 70 next gen now so...) then current policy would dictate games like the next WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven, Switch Sports, 1-2 Switch (Stinky Horse moment) would be 60, but that feels ridiculous. I think there should be many tiers, with the big boy games such as 3d mario smash Zelda and... I don't imagine Mario Kart is a budget title so sure, being 70, many current series being 60 still, and the budget games that are currently 50 remaining so or perhaps going to 40, I think Wario and RH at least should stay 40 but I'm biased cause I want those games to be a hit and feel their bite sized style works against their price tag.

But this isn't even about Nintendo oops, but I think same for SEGA like some of their games being 70 feels insane, I'd argue only Frontiers esc games would be worth it (I mean truthfully I think 70 is too much industry wide full stop but), even the older 3d sonics but also like Persona etc should stay 60.

They’re totally gonna try and sell Persona 6 for 70 bucks
If the Persona 3 Remake is high quality, I could see that getting the $70 tag given that it’s probably coming first.

Regardless, Like a Dragon 8 is pretty much guaranteed to be $70 (with Gaiden likely going for $50), so that’s the absolute latest we see this go into effect.

Persona is stylized up the wazoo but it's never been crazy tech wise, tho tbf even the newest release is an enhanced version of a PS3 game

I don't wanna be elitist about graphics or anything but if it's 70 I will be more judgemental, though won't affect purchases much if at all, like for the games I truly clamor I'd spend like 120 even, despite none of them besides maybe 3d mario being that prestigous in tech

But like I guess Frontiers is different especially with sales and some reviews (though I see the fandom turning against it more now, the Sonic cycle I guess) but like even Generations as good as it was being 70 (pretend games could be 70 then so ignore graphics) feels eh like they're known for shortness these days idk

Then people will just wait for the inevitable enhanced version.
I doubt it, I mean maybe the new fans that seemed to pop up post Joker in smash (it feels like it was more the announcement that lead to it getting bigger then even playing as him tbh) but like for the long time fans it's gonna have been like 9 years minimum at this rate, why force another 2-3 onto yourself

I dunno, there’s something weird about games selling for more dollars than their aggregate scores.

I mean the inflation won't last forever and yet I doubt prices go down, and like I said in OP the raised prices are going towards the rich execs anyway

It’s fair for a publisher to set MSRP at whatever price they want. I don’t have to spend that much, and I won’t.

I have to draw the line somewhere, and I don’t play video games fast enough to justify a release day purchase anyway. I can usually wait until third party games are on sale for under $20. Nintendo games don’t go on sale as often or as much, but I can wait for $40 or $50.

Over the past three years, I’ve spent $70+ on some used GBA games though prices are only rising due to more limited quantities. My retro library is largely complete so I don’t have to worry about this anymore.

Last edited:
Inevitably, every major publisher is going to put their top-end games at $70 msrp. Once Sony and Activision were able to make it stick, it was just a matter of time.

I'm perfectly fine with $70 or even $80 games.

Just remove the microtransactions and exploitive DLC :)

considering SEGA is one of those publishers that sharply discount their games after they've been on the market for 1-2 months, i don't think this will be too big of a problem. particularly if you aren't actively buying games day one.

$70 is going to become the standard for every one. They all probably wanted to raise prices years ago but didn't want to be the first ones to try it. Once enough of them started doing it to normalize it, then every one else was going to do it as well.

I mean the inflation won't last forever and yet I doubt prices go down, and like I said in OP the raised prices are going towards the rich execs anyway
Well yeah, these corporations aren't your friends. I'd be shocked if every first party Nintendo title isn't $70 when the successor launches. They're leaving a lot of money on the table and eventually the shareholders will come knocking.

Well yeah, these corporations aren't your friends. I'd be shocked if every first party Nintendo title isn't $70 when the successor launches. They're leaving a lot of money on the table and eventually the shareholders will come knocking.
I mean the 50 dollar switch series won't be 70, but they may be 60 which ehhh
I'd argue only smash 3d zelda 3d mario should be 70 if any have to be, prestige tier, but realistically only things that won't be will be what they fear will lose more sales from the extra 10 then gained from each sale

There’s some games I wouldn’t mind paying $70 for necessarily even if I will grumble about it (stuff like Yakuza that offer an incredibly generous amount of quality content), but others become a hard no (like Sonic games of mixed quality). Hope Sega and other publishers are very careful picking which ones get the $70 bump because those $70 games leave me less room to buy other games.

They’re totally gonna try and sell Persona 6 for 70 bucks

Most Atlus games are already more expensive for all the DLC. I never look at base game prices for those games. Like SMT5 was not a 60 buck game, but an 85 buck one.

Iffy reporting on VGC's part here, plastering Sonic all over the article (title, header image, a Frontiers trailer embedded in the middle of the text) despite the comment itself not even specifying which titles are being considered for the higher price point. I'd bet on Like a Dragon and Persona being bumped up to $70 USD before the next 3D Sonic game even arrives (the next 2D game surely won't be at that price point).

I'm perfectly fine with $70 or even $80 games.

Just remove the microtransactions and exploitive DLC :)
But we should be grateful that games are only 10$ more expensive than they were in 2003, plus 20$DLC, plus 10-15$ of optional content

$70 is a Day One price. It's a way to increase revenue from those most eager fans only. I can understand why they're doing it.

I don't wanna be elitist about graphics or anything but if it's 70 I will be more judgemental, though won't affect purchases much if at all, like for the games I truly clamor I'd spend like 120 even, despite none of them besides maybe 3d mario being that prestigous in tech
And that's the crux of the issue

People can hem and haw all they want, if they still buy the games then corps won't give a shit. People talk the talk but don't walk the walk

And it's not about the tech anyway. Inevitably everything will be $70, not just certain releases, but even leading up to that it's gonna be based more on prestige. Persona is definitely perceived as a higher end product regardless of its budget

Canadians now paying a Robert Borden(guy on $100 bill) for all video games now.

Man, fuck this.

Why is anyone surprised?
It's coming everywhere, inflation is very high the world over .
get used to it.

I'd rather not get used to something that I'm being actually priced out of my range more and more, especially being on disability with only getting just over $10,000 a year. But yes, tell me, the other disabled, and poor users to get used to it.

Man, fuck this.

I'd rather not get used to something that I'm being actually priced out of my range more and more, especially being on disability with only getting just over $10,000 a year. But yes, tell me, the other disabled, and poor users to get used to it.
I think especially in enthusiast spaces there's an awareness of how much gaming is a expensive hobby but less analysis of how it getting moreso can still price people out further and how it being so in the first place is neither good nor necessary (again as said in opening none of the price increases are really gonna lead to more dev QOL or anything, its all lining the CEO pockets)

Considering how gaming discussion leans in general for accessibility perhaps it's unsurprising, but still unfortunate. I will admit I've heard more talk of TOTK's controls being inaccessible then any Nintendo game before, though maybe that's cause it's sometimes awkward rather then an increasing awareness of players who are locked out/very disadvantaged by certain control options being absent, but I'd rather be optimistic

Though I also don't wanna just end it like that as if that's even directly what you're talking about like yeah I think people often aren't even aware of your sort of perspective, in both a sense of privilege but admittedly maybe some unawareness, I feel any rational person would oppose the way disability payments work in... I mean frankly most countries I'm thinking of America specifically but I believe you've said you're from Brazil, but there's hardly any major movement of reforming the way they work cause people don't even realize, but like yeah I think your perspective is an undervalued one and I hope that changes as the industry looks forward

Oh, my bad, I am from America, just I was aware of the circumstances and issues that present players in Brazil (both knowing people from there and having done research beyond that), particularly with the high costs of consoles and video game prices (high taxes, import fees, third party resellers, etc.), which often pushes many players to going towards (understandably so) piracy. With the rise of costs of everything here in the US and elsewhere, without an increase in paychecks for workers and the disabled/retired, you're going to see less people spending money and potentially being driven to other avenues. This continues to happen year in and year out, as costs of everything rises, and it's becoming unliveable, if not completely unliveable already for many of us.

Phew, there's that classic Sega malicious incompetence.

I was worried. Frontiers was good and there had to be something to balance the karma.

as long as it isnt sonic.

they would have to be out of htier mind to charge 70 dollars for sonic unless that price drops quick.

Back
Top Bottom