• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour VGC - Konami plans to have a "pretty big E3", new Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake are expected to be there.

As much as I love Castlevania, it will greatly depend on what type of game it is on whether I would be excited or not.

If it ends up being yet another souls inspired or roguelite, that would be an instant turn off for me because so many games are doing that now. Hell, we’re already getting Dead Cells DLC in a couple weeks dedicated to Castlevania.

Another year, another big Konami presence is supposedly happening... For me this clearly means e3 won't happen again, sorry folks, but that's my prediction.

Honestly, and it pains me to say this in some ways since I love the Metroidvania games the most, but a soulsborne Vania could work out really well
This is what I want. We got God of War Castlevania with Lords of Shadow, we got a new Igavania with Bloodstained, and Classicvania with the Curse of the Moon Games. There’s not really a big need for a new Castlevania that’s similar to those games, other than the ‘authentic Castlevania’ appeal (or a 1999 Julius game, hell yes). But a Soulsborne Castlevania would be a more interesting spin on it while still being very similar in a lot of ways to the older titles.

This is what I want. We got God of War Castlevania with Lords of Shadow, we got a new Igavania with Bloodstained, and Classicvania with the Curse of the Moon Games. There’s not really a big need for a new Castlevania that’s similar to those games, other than the ‘authentic Castlevania’ appeal (or a 1999 Julius game, hell yes). But a Soulsborne Castlevania would be a more interesting spin on it while still being very similar in a lot of ways to the older titles.
It honestly is perfect series for it. Medieval settings, insane number of weapons, a bestiary that would fit perfectly from standard enemies to bosses, and enough character diversity in terms of fighting style that it could make for a good game in the genre.

It honestly is perfect series for it. Medieval settings, insane number of weapons, a bestiary that would fit perfectly from standard enemies to bosses, and enough character diversity in terms of fighting style that it could make for a good game in the genre.
And if it was in the style of Nioh and its ilk, there'd be plenty of loot drops and build variety to be had, too.

I legitimately don't understand what exactly people are expecting or looking for in a castlevania that wouldn't be covered by Bloodstained. Are people really so attached to, I dunno, the paper thin lore of castlevania?
It's not like they need to adhere so strongly to the Igavania formula to bring back Castlevania, and even if the game was similar to Bloodstained, if the game is good then there would be 2 good games to play and enjoy instead of 1. Igarashi continuing to make his very particular brand of Castlevania hardly renders the whole series redundant. Castlevania has gone through several large changes over the years. People would just like to see a new good game in a series they have historically enjoyed.

Only request I have for the next Castlevania is that it’s a single player game with banging music and a gothic tone

Souls-like, character action, Metroidvania, linear platformer idc. The former 2 have the potential to modernize the series, and the latter 2 both have a history of making great Castlevania games.

I legitimately don't understand what exactly people are expecting or looking for in a castlevania that wouldn't be covered by Bloodstained. Are people really so attached to, I dunno, the paper thin lore of castlevania?
There’s been all manner of styles of Castlevania, the IGA ones are just one particular strand of it. Part of the longevity of the series was in not sticking with one game style forever, and the atmosphere and soundtrack count for a lot too. I wouldn’t mind seeing something closer to Simon’s Quest again, following Infernax.

I think it has quite a good bestiary, and honestly I don’t like the character designs I’ve seen of Bloodstained that much.

I’m sure I’d love the game though, I do want to get around to it.

But yeah, it’s hard to not be attached to a franchise that you like so many games from, even if there are decent copycats

I dont see Konami starting the rebirth of Castelvania with a 3D game

I personally love Curse of Darkness and Lament of Innocence and i still think that Curse should be the way of the franchise in 3D i mean Lord of Shadow is more then dead hopefully

But your best chance is either an classic one or a metroidvenia, i mean I dont think Konami is unawere of Bloodstained and especially Dread that showed you can sell a 60 dollars Metroidvenia

It's not like they need to adhere so strongly to the Igavania formula to bring back Castlevania, and even if the game was similar to Bloodstained, if the game is good then there would be 2 good games to play and enjoy instead of 1. Igarashi continuing to make his very particular brand of Castlevania hardly renders the whole series redundant. Castlevania has gone through several large changes over the years. People would just like to see a new good game in a series they have historically enjoyed.

There’s been all manner of styles of Castlevania, the IGA ones are just one particular strand of it. Part of the longevity of the series was in not sticking with one game style forever, and the atmosphere and soundtrack count for a lot too. I wouldn’t mind seeing something closer to Simon’s Quest again, following Infernax.

Bloodstained isn't stuck to the igavania formula either? There's two top tier classic castlevania style games as well in that franchise.

Instead for MGS for me not remaking MGS1 have a lot of sense

MGS 1 will be the great addition to the future collection and the main point of the new ones

Also as i already said, they will resell the Twin Snakes before doing a remake, that game can get a basic HD Port and sell A LOT on his own

Bloodstained isn't stuck to the igavania formula either? There's two top tier classic castlevania style games as well in that franchise.
Fair point (for what it’s worth I preferred Curse of the Moon 1/2 to the IGA-style Bloodstained). But that’s still only two of the styles Castlevania has looked at over its 2D and 3D games, so there’s plenty of room for Konami to make a Castlevania game that isn’t like Bloodstained.

Fair point (for what it’s worth I preferred Curse of the Moon 1/2 to the IGA-style Bloodstained). But that’s still only two of the styles Castlevania has looked at over its 2D and 3D games, so there’s plenty of room for Konami to make a Castlevania game that isn’t like Bloodstained.
I'm waiting for someone to do a Maximo-esque 3D action platformer metroidvania type thing with Castlevania (or for Capcom to do another Maximo - would make a great Switch focused Capcom exclusive for Nintendo to fund)

It kind of annoys me that they'd just remake Metal Gear Solid 3. I get that these days it's probably the entry with the most clout with MGS2 being a close second, but like, Metal Gear Solid 1 is so clunky in a lot of ways and 4 is stuck on the PS3.
To be honest, I find the original Metal gear Solid 3 quite clunky, the controls are a bloody nightmare

I'm more interested in the new Castlevania, if the rumors are true. Wouldn't mind a 2D/3D Castlevania similar to Metroid Dread design.

I enjoyed the first Lords Of Shadow back in 2010. The sequel was disappointing. But most 3D Castlevania games haven't been that great. The N64 versions were average at best back when they released. The canceled Dreamcast version showed promise. I always wondered how the finish product what have turned out. Lament Of Innocence was decent at the time. If they do make another 3D Castlevania. Hopefully it sticks to the Castlevania roots and mechanics as an action/adventure game and not try to be something else.

The only way to make 3D Castlevania work without it being a generic action game is to get inspiration from Metroid Prime.

They've copied Metroid once, they can do it again.

We just need two more multiplat CV collections tbh.

Castlevania Chronicles Collection (SOTN PS1/SS/PSP, ROB PCE/PSP, Chronicles X68k/PS1)

Castlevania Adventure Collection (TARB WiiWare, DOS DS, POR DS, OOE DS)

After Contra, I'm not 100% I trust Konami with a new CV.

After Contra, I'm not 100% I trust Konami with a new CV.
If it weren't for Super Bomberman R and its upcoming sequel*, I'd share the sentiment. But it's not like Konami is incapable of finding the right people to do certain jobs.

It's just that between the Dead Cells collab and Getsu Fuuma Den being bought back as a pretty middling "Roguevania", it's enough to make me be more than a bit concerned about what they could end up doing.

*Seriously, we're almost 3 months into 2023 without an update of when we could expect it! Where is it?!

If it weren't for Super Bomberman R and its upcoming sequel*, I'd share the sentiment. But it's not like Konami is incapable of finding the right people to do certain jobs.

It's just that between the Dead Cells collab and Getsu Fuuma Den being bought back as a pretty middling "Roguevania", it's enough to make me be more than a bit concerned about what they could end up doing.

*Seriously, we're almost 3 months into 2023 without an update of when we could expect it! Where is it?!

If the new Castlevania isn't 2D, I probably won't be interested.

Bomberman should be a 3D game like 64, imo.

If the new Castlevania isn't 2D, I probably won't be interested.

Bomberman should be a 3D game like 64, imo.
At this point, I'm more the opposite. Unless Konami has tapped one of those who have more than demonstrated they've probably got the aptitude or history for making a 2D Castlevania (ex. Inti, M2, Good-Feel), I'd actually be more interested in them getting a capable team to try some thing else or new.

Like at this point I'd be more excited for something closer to CV64/LOD (with more TLC) than another CV3 or SOTN retread. Thanks to Bloodstained taking care of both of those, I'm quite good on that front.

At this point, I'm more the opposite. Unless Konami has tapped one of those who have more than demonstrated they've probably got the aptitude or history for making a 2D Castlevania (ex. Inti, M2, Good-Feel), I'd actually be more interested in them getting a capable team to try some thing else or new.

Like at this point I'd be more excited for something closer to CV64/LOD (with more TLC) than another CV3 or SOTN retread. Thanks to Bloodstained taking care of both of those, I'm quite good on that front.

I like the idea of a new CV 64 or even just a compilation containing Legacy of Darkness. But I dread what Konami would do with a 3D entry.

Back
Top Bottom