• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Vanpool (Dillon/Tingle series, Kirby co-dev) to be dissolved 31 May, 2023

N75

Like Like
Already posted in the first party thread, but I felt like it needed its own thread.

Google translation (was somehow better than DeepL):

Dear Sir, I would like to express my congratulations on your continued prosperity and prosperity.
Thank you very much for your patronage.

Vanpool Co., Ltd. will be dissolved on May 31, 2023.
We have continued to develop games thanks to everyone's kindness, but due to various circumstances, we have decided to disband.

We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for the patronage we have received from all of you, and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Although it is a formality, I would like to express my greetings for dissolution.
Very truly yours
Contact information
Vanpool Co., Ltd.
〒160-0023 1-19-5 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Second Meiho Building B1
TEL: 03-6302-0300
FAX: 03-6302-0309

The company recently developed Return to Dream Land Deluxe with HAL, so this is pretty surprising. We currently have no more information.

Fuck. I hope everyone finds a proper position at HAL.

This means we'll never get to see Dillon again. That sucks, I loved what they did with the franchise. All the new IP suppliers to Nintendo is biting the dust one by one. Noise (Custom Robo), Skip (Chibi Robo), Alphadream (Tomato Adventure), Red (Fossil Fighters) and now Vanpool (Dillon). Nintendo needs more associate studios and new IP's asap!

That's really unfortunate to hear. Hopefully all of the employees will be picked up by HAL or Nintendo if they want to be.

I'd have thought it slightly more likely that they'd be bought/absorbed by HAL, like Creatures did with Ambrella.

Hopefully the staff are OK. Perhaps they'll end up at HAL or Nintendo as others are saying, but this certainly seems odd after all their recent work on the Kirby franchise. Haven't they pretty much worked exclusively with Nintendo and Nintendo affiliates for the last decade or so?

That’s such sudden news; and “various circumstances” doesn’t give much to work with for why this is happening. Hopefully they all get picked up by other studios asap; plenty of talent at Vanpool.

Feels like a curse at this point for studios with Love de Lic origin. At least we get a formal warning this time unlike skip’s disappearance, though.

image0.png

that's very sad to hear :(
i really hope it's an ambrella kind of situation and another company is absorbing them and the devs all will work for the new company.

TBH “Various circumstances” could be anything

• CEO ran off with money
  • Mismanagement
  • key employees got headhunted
  • company owners wanted to retire and couldn’t find a buyer
  • mismanagement
  • games didn’t sell well enough to stay open
  • mismanagement
  • mismanagement
I hope everyone affected land on their feet.

What the hell? Completely out of the blue… hope HAL or Nintendo hires as many employees from there as they can.

Nintendo should really be investing in these small studios. Letting devs like Vanpool and Alphadream die is just going to lead to even less of a diverse 1st party games lineup. A problem which has already been plaguing Nintendo post-3DS.

Fuck. I hope everyone finds a proper position at HAL.

This means we'll never get to see Dillon again. That sucks, I loved what they did with the franchise. All the new IP suppliers to Nintendo is biting the dust one by one. Noise (Custom Robo), Skip (Chibi Robo), Alphadream (Tomato Adventure), Red (Fossil Fighters) and now Vanpool (Dillon). Nintendo needs more associate studios and new IP's asap!
That's something that always confused me (video games to an extent but also copyright law as a whole). X company goes belly up for whatever reason, but what happens to the IP itself? Does it remain held by the parent company (in this instance, Nintendo who may hold Custom Robo/Chibi-Robo/Fossil Fighters/Dillion(/Kyle Hyde? Was Cing also under Nintendo?), or is it a person at the head of said company that's dissolving who then owns these IP licenses?

such a bummer, although from what I've heard, some of the key people had left the company in the last couple years already. at the very least they haven't done anything but Kirby support since that last Dillon game in 2018

we can't keep losing these post-love-de-lic studios!

Nintendo should really be investing in these small studios. Letting devs like Vanpool and Alphadream die is just going to lead to even less of a diverse 1st party games lineup. A problem which has already been plaguing Nintendo post-3DS.

We don't even know the circumstances as to why this company is shutting down. It may have nothing to do with investment. They just did Kirby remaster so they were obviously getting work from Nintendo.

That's something that always confused me (video games to an extent but also copyright law as a whole). X company goes belly up for whatever reason, but what happens to the IP itself? Does it remain held by the parent company (in this instance, Nintendo who may hold Custom Robo/Chibi-Robo/Fossil Fighters/Dillion(/Kyle Hyde? Was Cing also under Nintendo?), or is it a person at the head of said company that's dissolving who then owns these IP licenses?
Many are co-owned by Nintendo so Nintendo owns the IP completely after their demise. Custom Robo is an exception though, as Noise still exists in "skeleton" form just to keep the IP. Technically there is a chance for Nintendo to revive them without the original studio but they have never done so, probably never will. They'll use the IP's for legacy purposes, such as Smash appearances.

In most cases when a publisher commissions or funds a new IP to be made, the publisher is the one who has full ownership of the property. So even if the developer goes bankrupt, gets bought out, etc., the publisher still retains the IP. There are exceptions of course with co-ownership or the developer having sole ownership. But if the power dynamic is significantly in the publishers favor, the contract is signed making it clear that the publisher owns the IP.

In most cases they won't actually own the IP even though they did the legwork on it. The Bayonetta IP is a good example of this; Platinum made the games, but it still belongs to Sega (and Nintendo for the latter 3 games), rather than platinum.

Last edited:
Man it feels like every small niche Nintendo associate developer is biting the dust as the days go on.
In most cases they won't actually own the IP even though they did the legwork on it. The Bayonetta IP is a good example of this; Platinum made the games, but it still belongs to Sega.
Also why Nintendo retained the rights to Rare's Donkey Kong (and Star Fox/Dinosaur Planet) characters and games post the Microsoft buyout.

I really hope the majority of staff are being absorbed in to HAL, presuming they want to. This is a terrible loss of what seemed to be by most measures a successful support studio, even if they maybe missed aiming a little higher with their own titles in the 3DS era.

As folks have said, it can get messy, but usually the publisher winds up with the IP. It looks like Vanpool is choosing to shut down, rather than going through some form of bankruptcy, so that's probably what happens here.

In other cases, effectively a second company gets formed, which holds all the debt and bad assets, while the original company holds anything of value, and gets sold off for parts. If no one buys the IP, it gets shunted over to the bankruptcy organization. There are CEOs who specialize in this exact job, running companies designed to fail in an orderly fashion. Should someone try to get the IP afterwards, the original shareholders effectively own the IP, and tracking everyone down is a nightmare, and rarely gets done, so the IP is just lost until whatever time limited rights expire.

Many are co-owned by Nintendo so Nintendo owns the IP completely after their demise. Custom Robo is an exception though, as Noise still exists in "skeleton" form just to keep the IP. Technically there is a chance for Nintendo to revive them without the original studio but they have never done so, probably never will. They'll use the IP's for legacy purposes, such as Smash appearances.
The saddest ya-ha-ha...

I mean, maybe in some not so far flung future Chibi Robo and Kyle Hyde will make their own respective comebacks, but damn. Custom Robo V1 and V2 locked to Japanese N64 NSO for eternity, Gamecube NSO unlikely, remake of GCN Custom Robo even less likely, Nintendo DS Custom Robo Battle Arena (which only allows for 2P multiplayer instead of 4P) and no idea how a dual screen game can work on a Switch especially when docked...oof.

In most cases when a publisher commissions or funds a new IP to be made, the publisher is the one who has full ownership of the property. So even if the developer goes bankrupt, gets bought out, etc., the publisher still retains the IP. There are exceptions of course with co-ownership or the developer having sole ownership. But if the power dynamic is significantly in the publishers favor, the contract is signed making it clear that the publisher owns the IP.
In most cases they won't actually own the IP even though they did the legwork on it. The Bayonetta IP is a good example of this; Platinum made the games, but it still belongs to Sega (and Nintendo for the latter 3 games), rather than platinum.
But otherwise thank you all for the write-ups and clarification, that does explain a lot! Hope everyone does land on their feet whether with HAL or elsewhere and these niche but beloved games find their way back into the spotlight one way or another.

E: and @oldpuck and @meatbag too!

Last edited:
Curious what happened here. The machine translation might be inaccurate and I'm not familiar with Japanese law but you'd expect a company in financial trouble to go through bankruptcy proceedings before being dissolved. There seems to be no indication of that here though.

Alpha Dream was unsalvageable based upon what we know. We don't know enough about Vanpool to know if this was a money issue or what.

Curious what happened here. The machine translation might be inaccurate and I'm not familiar with Japanese law but you'd expect a company in financial trouble to go through bankruptcy proceedings before being dissolved. There seems to be no indication of that here though.
yeah, the message is peculiar. it doesn't really seem like it was because of financial troubles, which would be odd because unlike alphadream who didn't really make any hits in their later years vanpool worked on two very successful kirby releases recently, and i don't see a studio like that just one day deciding to close shop and letting everyone go.

yeah, the message is peculiar. it doesn't really seem like it was because of financial troubles, which would be odd because unlike alphadream who didn't really make any hits in their later years vanpool worked on two very successful kirby releases recently, and i don't see a studio like that just one day deciding to close shop and letting everyone go.
I genuinely think it’s either “CEO wanted to quit/retire and didn’t want to bother selling the company” or “someone ran off with all the money” or “key employees all quit/got headhunted” or something. I don’t think it was bankruptcy.

Nintendo always seems very willing to let partner studios bite the dust. It does seem like they absorb some of the staff, but not always. Too bad.

It's not clear what's happened here yet, I wouldn't make presumptions that Nintendo would have just let them go if it were only a money issue, for example.

The quality of the work doesn't seem like it's the issue. They've been going from success to success recently and the games have sold well.

Nintendo always seems very willing to let partner studios bite the dust. It does seem like they absorb some of the staff, but not always. Too bad.

I think some people have a completely misunderstanding on how contract work actually works. These companies are not subsidiaries of Nintendo. They are their own independent companies with their own cultures, goals, etc. Nintendo hires companies to work on projects but they are not Nintendo employees. Nintendo does not take on a companies salaries, benefits, debts, investments, etc. Nintendo could try to buy these companies out but in many cases, they don't want to be bought out or they rather keep the company size as is because there is a big difference in culture between being a small company vs. part of a large company.

If a smaller company is on the verge of going out of business, a company like Nintendo isn't just going to throw money at them simply to save the company. Nintendo hires companies to do a job at a specific price and those companies are expected to deliver that product within the agreed upon budget. That's how it works.

I think some people have a completely misunderstanding on how contract work actually works. These companies are not subsidiaries of Nintendo. They are their own independent companies with their own cultures, goals, etc. Nintendo hires companies to work on projects but they are not Nintendo employees. Nintendo does not take on a companies salaries, benefits, debts, investments, etc. Nintendo could try to buy these companies out but in many cases, they don't want to be bought out or they rather keep the company size as is because there is a big difference in culture between being a small company vs. part of a large company.

If a smaller company is on the verge of going out of business, a company like Nintendo isn't just going to throw money at them simply to save the company. Nintendo hires companies to do a job at a specific price and those companies are expected to deliver that product within the agreed upon budget. That's how it works.
Exactly. Nintendo has no obligation to pay debts incurred by Vanpool or any other contractor, and they're not being obtuse for not doing so. If a contractor is floundering as a result of their own financial instability, it is not on Nintendo to prop them up. That just means the contactor ultimately owes Nintendo money instead.

Fuck, this sucks. I assume that means we’re not going to be getting as many Kirby games as we’ve been getting on Switch now, either… Guess the dream of Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot remakes is probably dead, too… =(

always cheaper to pick from a dead carcass than to buy the company. that's why Nintendo lets them die. they might have done good work with HAL, but they're an assist studio. Next Level and NERD, they are not

Vanpool are basically the modern day equivilent of Flagship.

And much like what happened to Flagship, I fully expect most of the staff to eventually join HAL and Nintendo.

Somehow, Onion Games being the Love-De-Lic legacy studio who is still going on was not something I expected. We saw Skip coming, but not this one.
So weird, with them being a Kirby secondary projects studio, I was not expecting them to disappear. Especially not right after Returns to Dreamland Deluxe !

It sucks that studios like Vanpool and AlphaDream are apparently mismanaged this poorly, because they clearly have a good amount of talent consolidated into one mid team with a fairly unified vision on game development and I hate to see that go away. Even if some of that talent gets absorbed into HAL and the EPD groups.

My mom liked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland on the DS back in the days. Can't believe only Europe got a localized release of that.

i'd be worried about where the Dillon series is going to be in the future, considering that unlike most other Nintendo IPs. it was mostly digital only (Dead-Heat Breakers got a retail release, but only in Europe.)
it seems unlikely that another developer will pick it up, and a Switch Online app for 3DS games seems highly unlikely to happen for a while.

I wonder if any other staff jumped ship before the closure. I only know of game design lead Jun Taniguchi, who left in mid-2020 to join ILCA.

Then there’s Taro Kudo, who was the writer for recent Paper Mario games despite still working at Vanpool. Maybe he’ll join IS full-time?

Back
Top Bottom