• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour USA Today - Amazon set to buy Electronic Arts, announcement coming today (UPDATE: maybe not? see threadmarks)

mazi

picross pundit
According to GLHF sources, Amazon will announce today that it has put in a formal offer to acquire Electronic Arts (EA), the publisher behind Apex Legends, FIFA, Madden, and more.

Rumors have been circling online for a few weeks about a potential EA buyout, with Apple, Disney, and Amazon listed as potential buyers. As per our sources, Amazon has finally made an offer.

The big trillion dollar companies just can't piss off, can't they? MS, Amazon... Google or Apple will probably follow.

Unyeah but as I said when the ABK purchase happened: The floodgates have been opened.
1. I hope Andrew Wilson is shown the door as part of this
2. I agree it was only a matter of time before “the big boys” show up with bigger buckets of cash than MS
3. Fuck this timeline but honestly EA has been in rough shape for a while now
4. I doubt Amazon is going to care about EA’s back catalog so there go all my hopes for GOG releases of The Sims 1 and Sims 2, etc

Uhhh at least this doesn't mean much directly for the Switch... but this is exactly what I worried would happen after Microsoft pounced on Activision-Blizzard: other huge tech corporations bouncing along to snap up large publishers.

Wow ok, so this is definitely happening. Not as big of a WTF moment as when MS bought Actiblizz, but still, this is huge

Nintendo to buy the gaming side of Konami. Announced in the next direct. Plan to revive Hudson Soft as a studio and the first game from the buyout
will be a new Goemon game.

Uhhh at least this doesn't mean much directly for the Switch... but this is exactly what I worried would happen after Microsoft pounced on Activision-Blizzard: other huge tech corporations bouncing along to snap up large publishers.

Actually it might mean more EA games on Switch as Amazon only cares about profit increase and not the whatever reasons EA had for ignoring a highly viable source of income.

1. I hope Andrew Wilson is shown the door as part of this
2. I agree it was only a matter of time before “the big boys” show up with bigger buckets of cash than MS
3. Fuck this timeline but honestly EA has been in rough shape for a while now
4. I doubt Amazon is going to care about EA’s back catalog so there go all my hopes for GOG releases of The Sims 1 and Sims 2, etc
Looking at past events Wilson is gonna get a nice golden parachute and join Riccitiello and Moore at Unity :^)

OMG noooo

bitchplease-godspeed.gif

Apex is definitely one
Sims 4 still makes them money
Last Dragon Age was quite successful
Battlefield if they manage to get it back on track
lol Battlefield, the latest one was such a huge screwup that I completely forgot it existed

Jesus Christ
Marketing consolidation and monopolies keep getting more and more bizarre.

As shitty as this is I don't think this will have any tangible effects... for a while. Amazon Luna is a non-factor and if they're smart they're going to let the current leadership continue doing what they've been doing (just, better, you know).

In the long-term though...

edit: and obviously this is gonna send some ripples through the industry. Looking at Ubisoft now.

Normally such acquisitions disgust me, but it's EA...

I know Amazon is evil, but i hate EA even more. Maybe EA will get better overtime, no?

PS: as long as no one touches Nintendo or Sony, it's good to me

Normally such acquisitions disgust me, but it's EA...

I know Amazon is evil, but i hate EA rven more. Maybe EA will get better overtime, no?

PS: as long as no one touches Nintendo or Sony, it's good to me
Being owned by Amazon they can get EVEN worse than they already are!! 😍😍😍

USA Today: "AMAZON IS BUYING EA!!!"
CNBC NOW: " no, they are not"
Amazon Tonight: "actually we are 😁"
EA tomorrow: "hey y'all..."

I wonder who USA Today "confirmed" this with (they cite their own sources). Kinda crazy to run such a big story and get it this wrong. Unless CNBC is wrong, which I doubt.

Either way someone is gonna end up with a massive L.

I wonder who USA Today "confirmed" this with (they cite their own sources). Kinda crazy to run such a big story and get it this wrong. Unless CNBC is wrong, which I doubt.

Either way someone is gonna end up with a massive L.
Massive L, or massive $, or depending on how/if it's investigated a massive fine.

Back
Top Bottom