• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (20.61M), Splatoon 3 (10.13M), Bayonetta 3 (1.04M), and more

IDK, I don't know if Xenoblade's genre is very niche. Outside of the anime styling and system layering, it's an open-world RPG and that's one of the most popular genres around.

FF16 meanwhile is basically Bayonetta but higher budget and with (hopefully) competent writing staff and I would imagine Square is expecting to sell around 10m there. God of War reboot also isn't TOO dissimilar gameplay wise from Bayonetta either.
Anime is the opposite of niche, final fantasy, genshin impact, persona, fire emblem, kingdom hearts, anime aesthetic help more than hurts.

The fact that so many people are freaking out about XC3's sales and not "growing the franchise" when it sold an extremely respectable amount reminds me both that capitalism has poisoned people's minds about the ideas of always having to grow the product and that people have forgotten what Nintendo is like outside of the Switch era.

Like Nintendo knows it benefits with a diverse catalogue of games to appeal to all kinds of people and Monolith Soft is an incredibly efficient machine capable of putting out a 2 million-ish seller once every couple years to bolster that catalogue and get huge critical praise that draws more attention to the console. That has plenty of value and is genuinely still a series outselling a lot of Nintendo's smaller series in the past by a good chunk. If Nintendo is still funding Bayonetta and going through a much more convoluted process to do so, I think they'll keep wholeheartedly supporting the much easier, quicker, and honestly almost certainly cheaper Xenoblade.

Beyond that, XC3 is the 3rd XC game on Switch which has just been absolutely covered in the releases. If you had a passing interest in XC, you've probably already invested in it on Switch and those are huge games that require a lot of commitment. It's not surprising the 3rd (Really 4th counting Torna) major release isn't immediately lighting the charts on fire. And again, I'll remind people that the economy isn't a great place right now and Nintendo had a really stacked year, so people might decide that XC3 is the type of $60 game they can cut expense wise and focus on Pokemon and Splatoon or whatever their heart wants the most.

IDK, I don't know if Xenoblade's genre is very niche. Outside of the anime styling and system layering, it's an open-world RPG and that's one of the most popular genres around.

FF16 meanwhile is basically Bayonetta but higher budget and with (hopefully) competent writing staff and I would imagine Square is expecting to sell around 10m there. God of War reboot also isn't TOO dissimilar gameplay wise from Bayonetta either.
square is probably expecting 20 lol, FFXV is considered trash and that still sold 10 million

unbelievable that it literally only took less than 3 months for SV to reach like 80% of SwSh's total sales and like 2/3 of the total sales of Red and Blue lmao.

To be honest, maybe Nintendo should let Monolith do a new IP for their next game as their first Switch 2 (presumably?) project.

Something more along the lines of Elden Ring with sci-fi interwoven would be bad ass.

They have the critical chops, but how many top selling games these days have a very heavy anime influence any more? I love anime but I think it's holding Monolith back a bit in getting a larger audience.

Xenoblade 4 would be cool too, but hey imagine a new Monolith IP that has a more modern aesthetic and is kinda freed from JRPG conventions a bit more.

Not too impressed with that Splatoon sale honestly especially for third entry in a the franchise.
Whaaat? Splatoon 3 selling 10M in like 6 month in the 6-7th year of a console is not impressive to you? That's A tier Nintendo sales and not only that...
Not many shooters even do these type of numbers . Halo* and Uncharted aren't selling 10M in 6months, even Battlefield isn't reaching these numbers.

*Halo 3 probably might have did but the franchise isn't as big or popular.

Whaaat? Splatoon 3 selling 10M in like 6 month in the 6-7th year of a console is not impressive to you? That's A tier Nintendo sales and not only that...
Not many shooters even do these type of numbers . Halo* and Uncharted aren't selling 10M in 6months, even Battlefield isn't reaching these numbers.

*Halo 3 probably might have did but the franchise isn't as big or popular.
splatoon 3 was incredibly front loaded, that's what causes the disappointment. I guess people expected the west to show as much enthusiasm as japan.

i mean, yes, when japan moved 2,7 million copies in just 3 weeks.
So...it's like every other video game then? Because I'm still not getting how Splatoon 3 is in any sense a "disappointment". Unless people were expecting Pokemon numbers, it's already going to surpass Splatoon 2's sales within a fraction of the time.

So...it's like every other video game then? Because I'm still not getting how Splatoon 3 is in any sense a "disappointment". Unless people were expecting Pokemon numbers, it's already going to surpass Splatoon 2's sales within a fraction of the time.
i didn't say it was. I said it was seen as a disappointment because of its frontloaded sales. I mean generally forum people arent the best people at understand what a successful game is.

The entirety of Monolith Soft would spontaneously combust if they made their own game that's not anime as fuck. That's just how it is.

Monolith does a bunch of support stuff for some of Nintendo's biggest titles, and in exchange, Takahashi regularly gets to put out another season of anime in the form of a video game. They have a good system going.

To be honest, maybe Nintendo should let Monolith do a new IP for their next game as their first Switch 2 (presumably?) project.

Something more along the lines of Elden Ring with sci-fi interwoven would be bad ass.

They have the critical chops, but how many top selling games these days have a very heavy anime influence any more? I love anime but I think it's holding Monolith back a bit in getting a larger audience.

Xenoblade 4 would be cool too, but hey imagine a new Monolith IP that has a more modern aesthetic and is kinda freed from JRPG conventions a bit more.
This is true but most Xenoblades or Jrpg fans don't wanna hear that. Xenoblade is high quality asf. It's one of those nintendo franchise where you can see that the developers put all their efforts into trying to make something special but... then, it gets outsold by some uninspired Yoshi filler games.

PS: I'm a Yoshi fan and indifferent to xenoblade but this is true.

Should they? Presumably the onus is on Monolith to pitch something that Nintendo may wanna dedicate a budget too. If the choices are nurturing the Xeno brand & gambling on a new ip then it is obvious what Nintendo is gonna choose. If Monolith can continue garnering more trust & success then eventually they’ll be able to make a new ip.

What do we define as Elden Ring with sci-fi? Cause that is a lot of area to cover. Same thing with an anime influence. What is being influenced by anime since that too covers a wide range? Never mind the fact the best selling game is considered too “anime” by certain fans. No, anime is the least of the games problems. Instead the issues lay in the gameplay & genres (sci-fi & jrpg).

Not one to one, but here’s a twitter thread with some info that was shared on the call talking about hardware and software sales.

Calendar year sales for Nintendo Switch games that have sold over 25 million units

efgJVq6.png

RMB2x2q.png

rdvcnDS.png

40zmGkX.png

W1hAIyq.png

ZhDHsSZ.png

Last edited:
Mario series sales on Switch

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
52.00m
Super Mario Odyssey: 25.12m
Super Mario Party: 18.79m
New Super Mario Bros U: 14.75m
Super Mario 3D World: 10.82m
Mario Party Superstars: 9.38m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m
Paper Mario The Origami King: 3.34m
Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.47m
Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m

Total: 162.26m

Pokemon series sales on Switch

Pokemon SW/SH:
25.68m
Pokemon S/V: 20.61m
Pokemon LG P/E: 15.07m
Pokemon BD/SP: 14.92m
Pokemon Legends: 14.63m
New Pokemon Snap: 2.74m
Pokemon MD DX: 1.89m
Pokken Tournament: 1.54m

Total: 97.08m

There are three first party games to be released during this current quarter that should sell one million by March 31st. Two of them are remasters which impacts their sales potential but they should still sell pretty well, this is what i think they can sell in their opening quarter although i may be way off.

Fire Emblem Engage - 1.9 million
Metroid Prime remastered - 1.8 million
Kirby's return to Dreamland deluxe - 1.5 million

Back
Top Bottom