• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pokémon BDSP (13.97M), Mario Party Superstars (5.43M), Metroid Dread (2.74M), and more

I dunno, I definitely remember people saying Metroid was bound to perform mediocrely or that it's "too niche." In a world where Game Builder Garage can sell 1 million, Star Fox can easily do more.
I can’t speak for those people because I’ve been saying for years a 2D Metroid on Switch would be the best selling Metroid game of all time.

My issue is the genre. Game Garage Builder is a $30 product. That’s no way comparable to what the expectations from Nintendo would be for a $60 Star Fox game.

I think Raccoon would be happier if we just killed the series lmao

You're desperately trying to in any case.

If it's not a space shooter, it might as well not exist.

I bet barely any of you people begging it to be anything but a Starfox game bought starlink and the Starfox dlc.

Edit:because I was getting heated over this and put an insult in. Apologies.

Last edited:
I agree that that the best approach for Star Fox is a direct sequel gameplay wise to SF64 that also include a full blown multiplayer mode with online play to help give it more meat and legs. Essentially, combine the best aspects of Star Fox 64 (singleplayer) and Star Fox Assault (multiplayer).

But again...I just don't think Miyamoto cares what people want. Per admitted by other people who have worked on Star Fox like Dylan Cuthbert, he just views it as a toybox to experiment "new ideas" within the 3D gaming space. Star Fox Zero pretty much is the closest thing to "Star Fox 64 2" we've gotten, but even then it was clearly hamstrung by Miyamoto's insistence on Star Fox's existence being purely that of a weird science experiment. That alone is a testament to that fact.

Star Fox has real potential for IP growth outside of gaming. It's one franchise that Nintendo actually should keep investing in.

I feel like Star Fox as a pure rail shooter with multiplayer components could still do well in the current setting. As long as it’s not a full-fat sixty bucks.

That said I’m also not opposed to turning Star Fox into a 3D action adventure, but I suppose I was never an ardent fan of the series anyway. I just want another sci-fi IP from Nintendo!

Back to sales numbers for a bit, I’m so excited for Switch to topple NDS in terms of having the most million-sellers.

I agree that that the best approach for Star Fox is a direct sequel gameplay wise to SF64 that also include a full blown multiplayer mode with online play to help give it more meat and legs. Essentially, combine the best aspects of Star Fox 64 (singleplayer) and Star Fox Assault (multiplayer).

But again...I just don't think Miyamoto cares what people want. Per admitted by other people who have worked on Star Fox like Dylan Cuthbert, he just views it as a toybox to experiment "new ideas" within the 3D gaming space. Star Fox Zero pretty much is the closest thing to "Star Fox 64 2" we've gotten, but even then it was clearly hamstrung by Miyamoto's insistence on Star Fox's existence being purely that of a weird science experiment. That alone is a testament to that fact.

Maybe they can distract Miyamoto by making him work on a Star Fox VR ride for Super Nintendo World while someone else works on a console Star Fox.

Given Nintendo increasingly refer to themselves as an "entertainment" company, and given their goals of having characters and IP which people recognise through films and television and merchandise and theme parks, things like Star Fox are a resource where there's a lot of incentive to return to it and get it right in the future. They're fun and marketable characters with nostalgia value and with value outside of the games themselves, which in turn can drive people to the games.

Of course, there's no saying how long it takes for Nintendo to try to put Star Fox back on everybody's radar.

The year is 2032. Nintendo has just launched their new IP outreach product, an artificially sweetened juice called "Falcon Punch." It is advertised heavily in the popular "Shin F-ZERO" anime, now in its fourth series. The Pikmin movie came out last year to great success, with the Washington Post calling it "The Minions with heart." Shigeru Miyamoto, now old as shit, personally operates puppets for Nintendo's Star Fox television series. In the summer blockbuster Punch-Out IV, Little Mac faces his greatest opponent yet: Soviet Russia and, by proxy, communism.

None of these series have had games in over a decade.

None of these series have had games in over a decade.

Except for 2d platformers by Arzest, and Pokémon go clones by niantic, because, as everyone knows, these genres are insanely popular and therefore completely make up for choosing to just forego what the entries that actually made those series fun is completely justified and could in no way result in poor sales performance.

I could maybe see Star Fox take the Splatoon approach where they focus on the multiplayer aspect and have a campaign there as a bonus, but I wonder if there is a big market for multiplayer air combat.

I could maybe see Star Fox take the Splatoon approach where they focus on the multiplayer aspect and have a campaign there as a bonus,

Funny thing is, that's Star Fox Assault lol

Anyways I do agree that, inspite of its current sorry status as a game franchise, there's actually lots of untapped potential for Star Fox in other media. It's kinda like Sonic the Hedgehog, which has been doing alright in the realm of comics, cartoons and movies but not so much the video games themselves sadly (with the sole exception of Sonic Mania).

Given Nintendo increasingly refer to themselves as an "entertainment" company, and given their goals of having characters and IP which people recognise through films and television and merchandise and theme parks, things like Star Fox are a resource where there's a lot of incentive to return to it and get it right in the future. They're fun and marketable characters with nostalgia value and with value outside of the games themselves, which in turn can drive people to the games.

Of course, there's no saying how long it takes for Nintendo to try to put Star Fox back on everybody's radar.

I feel Kid Icarus and Star Fox are the two untapped series with the highest potential of actually expanding into IP. One often overlooked barrier for many of the existing Nintendo series is the fact most of their major characters don't speak. It's either grunts or unninteligible language:

Spoken English: Zelda, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Wario
Alien Language: Metroid, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin
Grunts: Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pokemon

Pokemon is a bit weird since the most important characters don't speak but trainers do

The characters not talking didn't stop the DKC cartoon from coming into being lmao

4c3.png

Hasn't actually stopped most of those IPs Peleo mentioned tbh. Mario, Animal Crossing, Kirby, and Donkey Kong still had or will have full blown animated cartoons and movies, despite their characters typically just grunting.

Back
Top Bottom