• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pokémon BDSP (13.97M), Mario Party Superstars (5.43M), Metroid Dread (2.74M), and more

I personally think there's plenty to be improved upon. NH seems to mostly focus on designing the island, so now that they have that done they could try and focus on other things in the next animal crossing. More activities, minigames, events, villager interactions, etc. Imo the design aspect is there and for the rest installment they should focus on improving the soul of the game (not that NH's soul is bad, but it could be better)
Maybe next Animal Crossing will have you become the mayor again and it’s your job to get your town hustling and bustling. You’ll have to build a hospital and cafe and so on to draw in folk. Definitely add more minigames, object interactions, social stuff. Really exciting possibilities for the next AC!

honestly, I blame some of those on being mediocre implementations of whatever they were trying to be. whether it was a shitty TPS, a shitty zelda clone, or a shitty strategy game. and all of them tried to to shoehorn Star Fox conventions into it

the best course of action I think, it to actually commit to the genre. Furry Mass Effect that plays similarly to Mass Effect 3/Vanquish has a damn good chance to outselling most, if not all, SF games I believe. Star Fox isn't not aesthetically unappealing, the games just are
I agree with this. I feel like Star Fox can be a solid TPS, or heck a CRPG-style adventure.

But I suppose if they’re bringing back Star Fox they’ll want it to retain the rail shooter gameplay, in which case maybe they can just copy notes from Kid Icarus Uprising. You know, levels cut up into rail shooter and third person action segments.

honestly, I blame some of those on being mediocre implementations of whatever they were trying to be. whether it was a shitty TPS, a shitty zelda clone, or a shitty strategy game. and all of them tried to to shoehorn Star Fox conventions into it

the best course of action I think, it to actually commit to the genre. Furry Mass Effect that plays similarly to Mass Effect 3/Vanquish has a damn good chance to outselling most, if not all, SF games I believe. Star Fox isn't not aesthetically unappealing, the games just are
Yeah. You can try all you want. If you put out a subpar or mediocre product then that’s what it is. It needs a bigger budget. It needs people who will get the gameplay and design down top notch. Not shoehorning or changing games or add Star Fox in.

They've been messing around trying to grow it not as a rail shooter for two decades, and every attempt has failed pathetically.

The only game to avoid the "Sell less than the previous entry" trend was when they just ported the goddamn rail shooter. I don't know how much more obvious they could make it.

At some point you are all gonna have to accept that's what the audience interested in buying Star fox actually wants, and this weird demand that they do something else is why the franchise is in the toilet in the first place.

Like, even if they wanted to do something else, there are better franchises for it. Like the above suggestion of just making a third person arena shooter/on foot missions. Why would they ever doom an attempt at that to mediocre failure again like assault, when they could make it a Splatoon game and sell ten times as much by default?

If they can't find a way to make starfox work as a space rail shooter, the franchise will stay buried in mediocre entries that nobody buys at absolute best.
All attempts at branching Star Fox out into something beyond a rail shooter have been highly experimental, low budget (for the most part) affairs. Giving Star Fox a decent budget and expanding it into an action/adventure title with space shooting elements is a pretty big no-brainer if Nintendo actually wants to grow the IP. If they're content with how it is now, they should continue to make rail shooters and charge full price. I'd certainly buy the $60 rail shooter, be happy with it, then wait another 10 years for them to try again.

Snap is mostly disappointing compared to the original but I guess one could argue that the N64 games had their sales inflated due to the novelty of seeing Pokémon in 3D. I think it could and should have done better but it outperformed the team's previous game, Pokkén.
I’ve always maintained that the Pokémon spin-offs have a pretty solid ceiling. The N64 games were released at the height of Pokemania, Stadium 2 managed to sell something like 2 million despite being at the end of the system’s lifecycle. In “normal” contexts I think the performances of Snap and Mystery Dungeon on Switch is what people should expect going forward.

Do people who don't play on PC even care about space shooters period? lol

I mean I guess they can always try whatever with Star Fox and blow a huge budget on a game that is unlikely to make it back but I'd rather just get a moderately budgeted game that actually improves upon 64's foundation.

Do people who don't play on PC even care about space shooters period? lol

I mean I guess they can always try whatever with Star Fox and blow a huge budget on a game that is unlikely to make it back but I'd rather just get a moderately budgeted game that actually improves upon 64's foundation.
personally all I'd like is a good Star Fox that feels like Star Fox, but I guess that's an unpopular opinion

I already set out my terms and conditions for Nintendo. If they want to make a Star Fox that isn't a rail-shooter, they need to bring back Sin and Punishment so I can still have my fill.

I’ve always maintained that the Pokémon spin-offs have a pretty solid ceiling. The N64 games were released at the height of Pokemania, Stadium 2 managed to sell something like 2 million despite being at the end of the system’s lifecycle. In “normal” contexts I think the performances of Snap and Mystery Dungeon on Switch is what people should expect going forward.
I personally expect New Pokemon Pinball to do at least 10 million.

Like which Star Fox game was critically successful after Star Fox 64? Forget sales success. Why can’t Nintendo put out a critically acclaimed Star Fox game in over 2 decades? That’s not the fans fault. It’s Nintendos.

It's true that Star Fox doesn't technically NEED to be a railshooter to be good, it's just that well, Star Fox and Star Fox 64 were railshooters and they were good. Meanwhile Adventures, Assault and Command, however, were not pure railshooters and they not so good, so ergo Star Fox can only be a railshooter. That does sound unfair/irrational, but that's just kinda how this industry rolls, I'm afraid. It's the same reason you still have people insist that Sonic can never, ever have a good 3D game and must forever be 2D. Or how games like Federation Force pretty much killed the chances for more Metroid spinoffs like that.

But the in the end...railshooter, third person shooter, it doesn't really matter what people want out of Star Fox, because going by the interview with Dylan Cuthbert I posted on the previous page, Miyamoto just doesn't really seem to care about what people want out of the series because he just views it as an experimental play pen to test out wacky new technical or control gimmicks in the 3D space. If/when we get a new Star Fox it's probably just going to be yet again the same thing, instead of a serious effort/commitment.

That's not really fair, most Star Fox games have rated generally fine. They don't get accolades like Zelda, but they're about in line with series like Kirby.

That's not really fair, most Star Fox games have rated generally fine. They don't get accolades like Zelda, but they're about in line with series like Kirby.

That is kinda true, as much as we love to rag on them, Adventures and Command were generally well received by critics when they came out. Adventures has a 82 on Metacritic, and Command has a 76.

It's kinda ironic that, out of the three GCN era SF games, people seem to like Assault the most these days, even though it was the worst received by critics, with only a 67 on MC.

Star Fox is not going to work as a 60 dollar title if they just keep trying to redo SF64. Nerds might buy it but general audiences won't.

Yet Kirby succeeds and Star Fox doesn’t. Interesting how Star Fox is allowed to continue. I wonder who’s making such the decisions to let it continue when sales are not good.

Star Fox is not going to work as a 60 dollar title if they just keep trying to redo SF64. Nerds might buy it but general audiences won't.

Yeah, but as pointed out before, people weren't really buying Star Fox when they weren't trying to redo SF64, either. Adventures sold alright, but neither Assault nor Command sold over a million.

Here's an overview of Star Fox's overall sales figures:

2d2d298b9aba5a118bce24aca9778c7a.png

Star Fox is just in a weird place to me because, on paper, it feels like they HAVE tried every idea people have suggested for it.

• Make it a third person shooter (Assault)
  • Give it to Platinum (Zero)
  • Just make a good game that happens to have the Star Fox characters in it (Adventures, even Starlink kinda)
  • Just go back and make Star Fox 64 again (643D, Zero)
But none of it really worked out.

It's like SF is a franchise that failed at moving forward as seen with the GCN games (and Command), but also failed at replicating its past success, as seen with Zero and to a lesser extent 643D, which WAS a million seller...but only a decade after its original release.

Yeah, but as pointed out before, people weren't really buying Star Fox when they weren't trying to redo SF64, either. Adventures sold alright, but neither Assault nor Command sold over a million.

Star Fox is just in a weird place to me because, on paper, it feels like they HAVE tried every idea people have suggested for it.

• Just make a good game that happens to have the Star Fox characters in it (Adventures, even Starlink kinda)

It's like SF is a franchise that failed at moving forward as seen with the GCN games (and Command), but also failed at replicating its past success, as seen with Zero and to a lesser extent 643D, which WAS a million seller...but only a decade after its original release.
The point I'm grokking at is an arcade shooter is not selling for 60 dollars without a huge amount of reimagining. They could do iterative SF64-likes and probably find some success as budget titles but Nintendo values their first party IPs too much to devalue them.

y'know if star fox can't sell it seems like the reasonable thing to do is just not make them anymore instead of making the most expensive one ever as a hail mary

Star Fox Adventures sold 1.8 on the GameCube. They were heading in the right direction. I think Miyamoto had the right frame of mind. He knew the series needed to grow.

They need to do it again with a big budget and a top tier developer like NLG on Switch. It can work, but it needs the time and money. It can’t be stressed enough. No half assing. No changing some game to Star Fox or adding Star Fox into a game.

The point I'm grokking at is an arcade shooter is not selling for 60 dollars without a huge amount of reimagining. They could do iterative SF64-likes and probably find some success as budget titles but Nintendo values their first party IPs too much to devalue them.

I think a $60 Star Fox needs a good campaign AND a strong online multiplayer to sell well.

I'll never stop hoping.

y'know if star fox can't sell it seems like the reasonable thing to do is just not make them anymore instead of making the most expensive one ever as a hail mary
To be fair it worked for Fire Emblem

Me personally, I would buy a Star Fox like Kid Icarus Uprising. A strong campaign that's half rail shooter, half on the ground combat with great voice acting and scenarios mixed together. But that kind of game is lightning in a bottle.

As someone who doesn't have much history with Star Fox, I'd be much more interested in a different genre of game using that IP than just another Star Fox game.
Port Zero and announce some kind of adventure/exploration game where you explore space as Star Fox and co.

Or they could always do a throwback to the rumours and do Star Fox x Metroid haha.

Nintendo needs to put greater emphasis on the cast. Let the characters really shine, and social media will do the rest.

yep. Miyamoto had to choose between his problem children and he picked pikmin
Pikmin is great. We saw how the Pikmin 3 port is the best selling Pikmin game ever. That’s a great sign. This series never had a chance. Some terrible luck by releasing on GameCube and Wii U lol.

star fox 64 3d was one of my favorite games as a kid

an hd remake would be more than enough for me

It's either this or "F-Zero should be a sci-fi brawler where you run around as Captain Falcon punching bad guys between races"

I think Star Fox should be a different style of game so it can sell more but also Paper Mario should go back to the old style when it sold less

Honestly, they should kill the Star Fox Series off, especially when they have an absurdly amazing rail shooter IP with Kid Icarus Uprising(which released to much more success).

They literally tried for 20 years to make the IP relevant and good. And they have failed every time. They even released it on Nintendo's most popular console and it didn't really do much of anything. It's time to give the IP a rest and allow room for new ones that can find an audience.

Not really in the same boat at all when one series has been mostly successful with its "experiments" while the other hasn't.
Again I know this and I was going to add this to my post. They’re experimental is what I said which is true. But the success varies. There’s nuance to this. One was/is a rail shooter. One was an rpg and now adventure game. Naturally, the Mario game lends itself better to success. It’s Mario first of all. It’s in a genre be it RPG or adventure which thrive way more than rail shooters. Star Fox tried half and with Adventure by basically shoehorning Star Fox in there. Not even develop from ground up as a Star Fox game.

There will always be too many variables in this. Not so black and white.

Thinking about Nintendo published shooters, and the last good one was Mii Force on the 3DS Mii Plaza. Not that we have many to choose from in the last 10 years, but that game was so good. They need to make an expanded version of those games for NSO. Not sure how you do the color coded weapons without streetpass, but they can think of something.

For star fox, they should do a smaller 2D horizontal shooter or just go bog standard rail shooter but with new environments and set pieces. Series isn’t going to be huge at this point, so make something on a smaller budget that can recoup costs but placates series fans’ wants. Same with F zero and wave race. Just give us more of the same.

Assault wasn't even a good third person shooter. not to mention it was also a rail shooter for large parts of it
Platinum wasn't lead developer on that, EPD was. Platinum was development assistance

I still maintain that Star Fox, from an aesthetic standpoint is viable. they just need to commit to a healthy genre

It feels like Nintendo's nurturing of Animal Crossing into a mega-beast of an IP with a shitload of licensing deals and an armada of fans is the most amazing success story for a big gaming company since Rockstar became a money-printing machine with GTA.

They should try making it a Nintendo-esque accessible version of No Man's Sky.

Again I know this and I was going to add this to my post. They’re experimental is what I said which is true. But the success varies. There’s nuance to this. One was/is a rail shooter. One was an rpg and now adventure game. Naturally, the Mario game lends itself better to success. It’s Mario first of all. It’s in a genre be it RPG or adventure which thrive way more than rail shooters. Star Fox tried half and with Adventure by basically shoehorning Star Fox in there. Not even develop from ground up as a Star Fox game.

There will always be too many variables in this. Not so black and white.

I don’t think we need to make excuses for Adventures. The average consumer back then didn’t even know it wasn’t really a Star Fox game. It had fantastic production values (even voice acting!) and was critically acclaimed. People just didn’t care as much as they cared for SF64.

Assault wasn't even a good third person shooter. not to mention it was also a rail shooter for large parts of it
Other way around, actually. Assault only had about three pure rail-shooter stages. The bulk of the game was on-foot (and all range modes in the Arwing like in 64), which were mostly repurposed multiplayer maps lol

Back
Top Bottom