• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Nintendo Switch Sports (4.84M), Mario Strikers: Battle League (1.91M), and more

Mario Strikers: Battle League has achieved the best Mario Sports game launch, beating Mario Tennis Aces' launch (1.38m) and Mario Golf: Super Rush's launch (1.34m)
Now THAT is interesting. Shows there's real appetite for a game like this, both from those who played the original games as well as people just after a decent football/soccer experience on Switch. I hope Nintendo have paid attention.

Quite the breakout hit for good ol Kirbs too. I mean, I bought, played and completed it, despite Kirby games not usually being my thing, seems like it's struck a chord with many gamers outside of the franchise's usual fanbase.

Switch Sports will have plenty of legs I feel, still seeing plenty of ads for it here in UKland on TV/in the cinema, so they're continuing to push it hard.

Can we finally dispel the “Strikers is a flop” narrative?

Also, LFG KIRBYYYYYYYYY!!!

Didn't sell 1 million in the last quarter.

Truth is, I am worried at Dread's performance (don't flame I understand it is the best selling game in Metroid series) ,
more because I believe Metroid Prime needs to do at least 7-8 million to be worth the investment Nintendo did and work on the series.

They are really investing into making Metroid a success - both from a quality / marketing standpoint with Dread and Prime 4, at this point Prime 4 has to be a success.

Let's hope similarly to Kirby the "3D effect" together with the "Switch Effect" push the sales to new levels

Truth is, I am worried at Dread's performance (don't flame I understand it is the best selling game in Metroid series) ,
more because I believe Metroid Prime needs to do at least 7-8 million to be worth the investment Nintendo did and work on the series.

They are really investing into making Metroid a success - both from a quality / marketing standpoint with Dread and Prime 4, at this point Prime 4 has to be a success.

Let's hope similarly to Kirby the "3D effect" together with the "Switch Effect" push the sales to new levels
I don't see why Prime 4 has to sell 8 million for Nintendo to be happy with Dread's sales and keep making (far less expensive) 2.5D Metroids. Or even more 3D ones.

I mean, what are you even basing this on? This seems like needless worrying. Dread did fine.

There aren't many IPs where 2d does better than 3d, so kirby's success just further proves that not going 3d sooner held the sales back

Quite clear that Nintendo have learned from the Wii U era and are beginning to phase out 2D games. 2D Metroid will probably survive as the series is so prestigious and there's still room to innovate in the genre, but 2D platformers will remain relegated to B-teams and fledgling developers.

A 3D DK is indeed long overdue.

If Nintendo expects 7-8 million out of Metroid then they are really as clueless as some think.

If Nintendo expects 7-8 million out of Metroid then they are really as clueless as some think.

Prime definitely has the capacity to pull those numbers if they add a decent MP idea and make the controls/combat more fun.

Metroid is sci-fi horror, and Souls has popularized/modernized the genre a bit more, it can definitely pull decent numbers.

Someone check on the Mario Strikers Bombed people. It’s probably a rough day for them.

Nintendo is obviously expecting some records with mp4, considering how much they are investing on the game (and how much they have invested already by for example rebooting it). But they also have safe expectations overall. Unlike EA for example.

Id imagine nintendo wants it to sell between 4 to 5 million lifetime.

I also dont think 7-8 million is some unatainable number, i dont think nintendo would care as much if it was.

Someone check on the Mario Strikers Bombed people. It’s probably a rough day for them.
If you want you can make it look like any game is a flop, as I said above mentioning how NLG is a 10m+ seller team so they were ‘wasted’ or how Japanese sales are horrible (it has the worst JP/WW ratio of any Nintendo 1st party game we know)

I'm happy Mario Strikers has sold so well. The game is so much fun and it' snice to know that we have a bunch more additions coming down the line. Daisy and Shy Guy were amazing additions.

I'm also happy that Diamond/Pearl sold well. I loved re-visiting those games with the new engine and didn't have nearly the issues with it that others did. I'm really hoping we get a Black/White remake with the same engine.

Switch Sports bombed!1!1

Nintendo reveals it almost sold 5 million in just a few months

Strikers bombed!1!1

Nintendo reveals it almost sold 2 million in less than a month.

Let me guess the goal posts will be moved or mental gymnastics will be performed to twist these numbers.

Kirby's performance does make the case that this is the generation where 3D platformers have finally eclipsed the popularity of 2D ones after what we saw from Odyssey years ago. It seems like the right time to return to 3D with Donkey Kong along with considering that for the eventual next Yoshi game.

That said I do think Nintendo needs to put out an original 2D Mario for the Switch before we could make a full assessment on the 2D platformer's current market viability.

No update on Arceus or Metroid Dread is unfortunate. It's likely we won't see updated numbers on the latter ever again.

I echo everyone's sentiments that Kirby's success hopefully means more 3D Platformers. The 2D boom is over. The 3D boom is now.

No update on Arceus or Metroid Dread is unfortunate. It's likely we won't see updated numbers on the latter ever again.

It will show up in next year's CESA White Paper, but yeah I wouldn't expect numbers for Dread again to come from Nintendo's quarterly results.

Kirbys performance to me is the best news out of all the infos that got dropped today.
Totally deserved. Kirbys future will be bright.

It will show up in next year's CESA White Paper, but yeah I wouldn't expect numbers for Dread again to come from Nintendo's quarterly results.

The only context in which we might get a Dread update would be if the rumoured Metroid Prime Remake surpassed it as the highest selling Metroid game and Nintendo gave an update on both.

It's wild to me that titles such as 1-2 Switch or Clubhouse Games have sold more than freakin' Metroid. Goes to show that we game enthusiasts are a small minority in what the actual public buys and likes.
Clubhouse games is amazing though. Let’s not besmirch on of the best “casual” style games Nintendo has released. Only problem is the lack of games for 3 or more players.

I am obviously basing the numbers on nothing - I am just a dude on the internet. I work as a software eng though and know how easily expenses rise up in software companies.

Having said that Prime 4, between scrapping and restarting the project and how many people are employed in Retro to make it happen - I am pretty sure it's a very, very expensive project. Which is why I don't find it hard to believe that they will have a threshold of sales below which the franchise (Metroid Prime and not 2d metroid) would be at risk.

(Wasn't that the case with Fire Emblem or smth?)

I am obviously basing the numbers on nothing - I am just a dude on the internet. I work as a software eng though and know how easily expenses rise up in software companies.

Having said that Prime 4, between scrapping and restarting the project and how many people are employed in Retro to make it happen - I am pretty sure it's a very, very expensive project. Which is why I don't find it hard to believe that they will have a threshold of sales below which the franchise (Metroid Prime and not 2d metroid) would be at risk.

FE only needed to sell the same that the previous entry had sold to stay alive. The previous entry was already a ‘failure’ sales wise and it was Japan only. Anyway FE is made by a 3rd party dev so it makes no sense to compare it with Metroid Prime, if it doesn’t sell enough maybe they prefer to make Retro make other games

Switch Sports bombed!1!1

Nintendo reveals it almost sold 5 million in just a few months

Strikers bombed!1!1

Nintendo reveals it almost sold 2 million in less than a month.

Let me guess the goal posts will be moved or mental gymnastics will be performed to twist these numbers.
Advance Wars will bomb!

fingers crossed

you don't incorporate the previous money spent into the sales expectations of the new version. otherwise, there would have been no point in rebooting it

I dont think that is quite the case. Nintendo is hoping for a hit within the hardcore fanbase i imagine, so they re investing big on it. If it flops i imagine there just wont be this large investment on a metroid game anymore.

Im not saying they will become cheap, just there wont be another money sinker project anymore

Prime definitely has the capacity to pull those numbers if they add a decent MP idea and make the controls/combat more fun.

Metroid is sci-fi horror, and Souls has popularized/modernized the genre a bit more, it can definitely pull decent numbers.
It’s gonna take more than that to reach 7-8mil I feel. Souls does a lot of things that Metroid still really doesn’t. Even with a good MP—it’s gonna really depend on what that is but even so—The issue with Metroid is can it retain the audience that is has. As we have seen with Prime 1 to 2 that was a very real problem. Dread is a good starting point, Prime 4 will be a god test to see if the audience has grown, & the next two games can show whether these were flashes in the pan, a stable heat with an eye to improving weaknesses, or a still growing flame.

As for Nintendo investing into the series as long as someone bats for it & the series isn’t consistently showing a downward trend then it should be fine.

Metroid has always been a 'prestige series' for Nintendo, in that it's not a series that sells particularly well but it generates such positivity that it improves the Nintendo brand merely by existing. Dread didn't do Mario or Zelda numbers sure, but it generated a huge amount of publicity and positive hype, culminating the game getting many GOTY nominations and even victories.

That's why Metroid as a series will always be pretty safe. It's a franchise with a prolific and glittering history which provides a continuous tick in the plus coloumn for Nintendo consoles. It's the same reason Nintendo go in hard on the likes of Bayonetta and Xenoblade despite these selling similarly (or worse) than Metroid. Nintendo want to build a rich ecosystem of quality games in varying genres to tempt gamers like us into buying their platform. They don't need their every game to sell 5 million plus, they just need enough high quality games to tempt people into buying a Switch in the first place, so they then go on to buy more games...

...And if said prestige titles do end up doing Mario or Splatoon numbers, then I think the applicable words in Nintendo's case would be 'cha-ching!'

Souls isn’t sci-fi. Fantasy games have more universal appeal than sci-fi.

Souls isn’t sci-fi. Fantasy games have more universal appeal than sci-fi.

I never said it was, I was talking about souls as a genre, which I see somewhat as an evolution of Metroidvanias; and fantasy being more popular than sci-fi doesn't preclude sci-fis doing well.

Kirby's performance does make the case that this is the generation where 3D platformers have finally eclipsed the popularity of 2D ones after what we saw from Odyssey years ago. It seems like the right time to return to 3D with Donkey Kong along with considering that for the eventual next Yoshi game.

That said I do think Nintendo needs to put out an original 2D Mario for the Switch before we could make a full assessment on the 2D platformer's current market viability.
Along with a new Tomodachi Life, I think a new 2D Mario is one of the remaining brand new mega hits EPD will launch on Switch (as in, games that aren't sequels like Breath of the Wild 2 or another 3D Mario). EPD 10 moved on from Super Mario Maker 2 pretty quickly, and that sold 7 to 8 million units, while the NSMB U port did over 13 million; clearly, there's more demand for classic 2D Mario.

I suspect a 'New' style game would still be a strong seller, but a new take on 2D Mario next Christmas might be an enormous hit.
Metroid has always been a 'prestige series' for Nintendo, in that it's not a series that sells particularly well but it generates such positivity that it improves the Nintendo brand merely by existing. Dread didn't do Mario or Zelda numbers sure, but it generated a huge amount of publicity and positive hype, culminating the game getting many GOTY nominations and even victories.

That's why Metroid as a series will always be pretty safe. It's a franchise with a prolific and glittering history which provides a continuous tick in the plus coloumn for Nintendo consoles. It's the same reason Nintendo go in hard on the likes of Bayonetta and Xenoblade despite these selling similarly (or worse) than Metroid. Nintendo want to build a rich ecosystem of quality games in varying genres to tempt gamers like us into buying their platform. They don't need their every game to sell 5 million plus, they just need enough high quality games to tempt people into buying a Switch in the first place, so they then go on to buy more games...

...And if said prestige titles do end up doing Mario or Splatoon numbers, then I think the applicable words in Nintendo's case would be 'cha-ching!'
People continually forget this when looking at sales figures - even mainstream professional gaming coverage highlighted Dread as disappointing commercially versus Zelda and Mario (Eurogamer). What you've said is exactly correct. Nintendo likely hope for 3 million plus from Prime 4; if it goes beyond that towards 5 million, then great.

Looks like we may get more outsourced Pokemon remakes, BDSP is cruising.
It has the worse legs of any Nintendo game during the Switch era, it has a big enough launch to justify more outsourced remakes but the sales situation rn of the game is horrible

Back
Top Bottom