• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Nintendo Switch Sports (4.84M), Mario Strikers: Battle League (1.91M), and more

I still don't see it unless they add some kind of multiplayer or make a more typical fps campaign
What we're seeing on Switch is a lot of these series selling 2-2.5x as much as the previous best. 3D Mario, Smash, Zelda, etc. If Prime's best before was 2.8 million on the GameCube of all things, a solid marketing campaign and a great game could definitely push Prime 4 towards 5 million.

I'm generally not very bullish on Metroid sales but Prime 4 I think has a good chance to hit that target if everything goes well.

What we're seeing on Switch is a lot of these series selling 2-2.5x as much as the previous best. 3D Mario, Smash, Zelda, etc. If Prime's best before was 2.8 million on the GameCube of all things, a solid marketing campaign and a great game could definitely push Prime 4 towards 5 million.

I'm generally not very bullish on Metroid sales but Prime 4 I think has a good chance to hit that target if everything goes well.
Prime 1 sales numbers are inflated by bundles and 20 year old, I wouldn’t use them to try to predict how much Prime 4 can/can’t sell in the current age. Thankfully we will have Prime 1 HD for that ;)

I think its absurd people are predicting prime will sell the same as a 2d metroid game lmao.

Its (very) reasonable to think nintendo would be disappointed.

So MH Rise is the only 3rd party game in the top 15 best sellers on Switch? Perhaps this means that other 3rd parties will be more aggressive with development for the switch successor.

So MH Rise is the only 3rd party game in the top 15 best sellers on Switch? Perhaps this means that other 3rd parties will be more aggressive with development for the switch successor.
Minecraft has probably sold more than MH:Rise we just lack the data for it. (A lot more in fact btw we are talking about probably 15-20m Switch Minecraft)

Something I missed the other day, but Gamesindustry are reporting this Q1 as Switch's best ever for first party software sales; that makes a degree of sense (install base is higher and whatever Nintendo mean by "annual users" also rising), but it's still interesting. Frustrating we get such limited information on solid numbers, though; games outside the top 10 (NSMB U, Pokemon Legends, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Party Superstars and so on) perhaps performing strongly but no new updates just yet. For at least 3 of those we'll get updates this financial year, I expect, but then I think about something like Link's Awakening, at 5.49 million the last time sales were reported, and wonder if that's cross the 6 million mark yet.

This is only really true of the Evergreens though. There aren’t many IPs outside of Mario, Zelda, Smash, AC, Splatoon and Pokemon that are getting those kinds of boosts. Hell, Ring Fit was the only other first party IP to even hit 4 mil until Clubhouse games did last quarter and Kirby and Switch Sports this quarter (and both IPs are far bigger than Metroid). So while more are hitting those numbers, it’s still a really uncommon thing.

This is only really true of the Evergreens though. There aren’t many IPs outside of Mario, Zelda, Smash, AC, Splatoon and Pokemon that are getting those kinds of boosts. Hell, Ring Fit was the only other first party IP to even hit 4 mil until Clubhouse games did last quarter and Kirby and Switch Sports this quarter (and both IPs are far bigger than Metroid). So while more are hitting those numbers, it’s still a really uncommon thing.
Id say thayts more due to nintendo never updating games that dont sell 1 million within the fiscal year. FE3H for example most likely already crossed 4 million and dread could do so as it had a considerably higher debut than 3h

Due to the cesa white papers we re going to see a lot of growth within dem not evergreen games. Relative to their sales of course.

There are a few individual titles which have either crossed 4 million, or which are likely on the way to crossing 4 million but which we haven't had sales updates for in a while. Mario Tennis Aces, DK Tropical Freeze, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and 1-2 Switch, for example, were all in the 3.4 to 3.6 million range 18 months ago. I'm not sure how strongly each of those was selling; my memory suggests 1-2 Switch had slowed down a while ago, for example.

More recently, Skyward Sword HD only needed another 90k shipments to hit that milestone, making it the fourth Zelda game to hit 4 million or more on Switch. I wouldn't necessarily get caught up on the idea of double or triple sales growth for Metroid, so much as thinking about the number of titles landing at 3 million plus and which have a shot at 4 million or more. We know Dread, at the very least, will hit somewhere over the 3 million mark. We're seeing 3D Kirby push bigger numbers than 2D Kirby after only a few months on Switch. Prime 4 following a similar sort of curve isn't out the question, though it will be very interesting to see how the rumoured Prime HD does.

I never really paid that close attention to how well Wii Sports Resort did, but it was the third best seller on the Wii with 30+ million sales.

Kinda shaking my head at anyone who thought Switch Sports was going to even remotely bomb.

Nintendo only update titles that ship at least 1 million copies in each reporting period. That, plus the top 10 selling games on Switch.
I thought it was the ones that have sold over a million in the past year. They gave us Dread numbers after last quarter despite it selling well under a million for that period.

I thought it was the ones that have sold over a million in the past year. They gave us Dread numbers after last quarter despite it selling well under a million for that period.
If the reporting period is for a full year, like it was last time, they include every million selling title in that year. This reporting period only included April through June 2022.

Truth is, I am worried at Dread's performance (don't flame I understand it is the best selling game in Metroid series) ,
more because I believe Metroid Prime needs to do at least 7-8 million to be worth the investment Nintendo did and work on the series.

They are really investing into making Metroid a success - both from a quality / marketing standpoint with Dread and Prime 4, at this point Prime 4 has to be a success.

Let's hope similarly to Kirby the "3D effect" together with the "Switch Effect" push the sales to new levels
I had a feeling Dread was going to sell crazy numbers, like 10 million lifetime crazy because of the Switch effect. I guess the genre just doesn’t sell those kinds of numbers.

It will be very interesting to see if Prime 4 sticks to the trilogy template or goes for a more modern Halo type gameplay loop. I hope the trilogy but I think we all know a Halo type experience would sell far, far better.

I had a feeling Dread was going to sell crazy numbers, like 10 million lifetime crazy because of the Switch effect. I guess the genre just doesn’t sell those kinds of numbers.

It will be very interesting to see if Prime 4 sticks to the trilogy template or goes for a more modern Halo type gameplay loop. I hope the trilogy but I think we all know a Halo type experience would sell far, far better.
I think halo isnt an example for anything ince decades ago.

I mean, maybe an example of how to not do stuff lol

Last edited:

Hollow Knight was released on XB1+PS4+Switch+PC and it's sold for $15 and have discounts all the time and the word of mouth was nothing but great, yet the last updated sales number was total of 2.8 MM in 2019.

I was overly optimistic that Dread would do 5 MM in a short period lol. Yet, it did 2.9 MM in less than a year and relatively soon to pass the +3 MM although the price tag is $60 and being a console exclusive. I would say this is rather a quite achievement for the given circumstances.

Last edited:
Hollow Knight was released on XB1+PS4+Switch+PC and it's sold for $15 and have discounts all the time and the word of mouth was nothing but great, yet the last updated sales number was total of 2.8 MM in 2019.

I was overly optimistic that Dread would do 5 MM in a short period lol. Yet, it did 2.9 millions in less than a year and relatively soon to pass the +3 MM although the price tag is $60 and being a console exclusive. I would say this is rather a quite achievement for the given circumstances.
Yeah 3+ million is a great achievement. Thanks for the Hollow Knight info too.

Back
Top Bottom