• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Unreleased US Localization of the Dreamcast version of Shenmue II has been dumped and released online.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
002b71_52900c1ae17b46c4bdda9ae15c0438a0~mv2.jpg

A bit of backstory here. The original game was rather infamously one of the most expensive games ever produced at the time. But it's not commonly remembered that part of said budget was reserved for making a sequel. Or rather, the original game was so massive that they initially tried to split it into 2 parts. Before both halves got delayed into becoming released about 2 years apart. Early marketing material for the original game even mentioned and shown elements that would only appear in the sequel, such as Ryo's trip to Hong Kong.
The clock is ticking. Suzuki and the Shenmue team must meet their goals in the next few months or risk losing their window of opportunity. In Japan, the game has been split into two parts for release: the first half is scheduled to ship in October and the final half will follow in December (the US version will provide both halves at once).
- Next Generation Magazine, Issue 10/99
But by the time said sequel had launched in Japan, SEGA had already announced they were leaving the console market entirely.

Regardless, a team at the company was hard at work on localizing the sequel for the English market. With a noticeably smaller budget than before (Notably, there were no plans to do an English dub. Despite the fact the original game lacked dual audio support.)
But for whatever reason, the North American branch decided not to release it initially. Leaving the rather unusual decision of having the localization be locked to Europe for the time being.
9610-shenmue-ii-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

Enter Microsoft. In the midst of SEGA's defeat in the console war, they were making a game console of their own. The legendary Xbox.
Looking for 3rd party studios to bring on-board. They rather quickly took an interest in SEGA, the Dreamcast had a customized version of Windows CE made for it, so some of the groundwork was already laid down.
While the initial plans to implement Backwards Compatibility with Dreamcast games went nowhere, SEGA would go on to become a major supporter of the Xbox. Which infamously lead to one of the most notorious bouts of console exclusivity out there.
171493-shenmue-ii-xbox-front-cover.png

Yes, part of the reason why Shenmue II didn't hit the Dreamcast in North America was because Microsoft seemingly bought the publishing rights. Considering one of the big features of the sequel was that you could transfer your progress over from the original. People were incredibly furious.
My best Shenmue story would be coming back post 9/11 from the UK with my wife and kids, there was a time where you had to show your passport before you even went near security. We had just brought Shenmue over to the Xbox, and a TSA security guy saw me coming over and said "I don't need to see your passport. You're the asshole that gave away Shenmue to Xbox."
- Peter Moore, Gaming Steve Episode 56 (56:22)
While the port brought on various extra features that otherwise wouldn't actually exist (Notably a proper English dub.) Shenmue fans would prove to be incredibly persistent in attempting to continue their adventure on the Dreamcast, importing the European copy in droves, and used various hacks to convert their North American saves to work with the EU release.

Of course, the dream was always to have a US version available in some form. Which seemed unlikely, until now.
002b71_a3eac6fce03c419ab2e0f95e6e8994dd~mv2.png

(Note: Box-art is a mockup, the actual disks were reportedly just standard blank GD-ROMs without any labeling)

As for the technical details of this build. The internal version number is V0.991, and is mostly finished by this point. With the occasional bit of untranslated text and grammar issues.
002b71_7275c9a7520940d3b857f7e494be40f8~mv2.jpg

The build also contains multiple debug menus, one of which is accessible by inserting a fourth controller into the system, and pressing start on it during gameplay.
002b71_bc65a66b9ee347b191e30243e0bca889~mv2.jpg

The other one (See the screenshot at the top of the thread.) requires a patch made by the dumper to access. The build also contains a surprising amount of unused/debug maps accessible through these menus.
002b71_892600bbc53941579a39b852bb0363e7~mv2.jpg
002b71_ec0f41cc5d864ab19d5efa5708d057b9~mv2.jpg

What an absolutely phenomenal find. Bet there'll be fans digging into the unused/debug stuff for ages. Wonder if there's anything cool in there... Shenmue 2 is already the best game in the series, so it might be interesting to see if anything notable ended up on the cutting room floor.

I was friends with one of those Shenmue 2 EU importers, who described basically going through a back alley deal with some random stranger they met at Electronics Boutique who had to set the whole thing up for them to get the discs. Heard later that some stores were just importing the EU version to sell on their own too. Amazing to see the regular North American version (or close enough) just finally out there after all this time.

I live in Europe, so I never had this problem. I did however want an xbox bcause of Shenmue 2. I am crazy enough that I even went to Japan in 2013 and I bought Japanese versions of Shenmue I & II. Shenmue in Japanese is best is my conclusion, so japanese version of Shenmue and Euro version of Shenmue II on Dreamcast is the best combo. Although I also have Shenmue I & II for PC and another for ps4.

Yes, Shenmue is incredible.

2021 jeeps on giving with unreleased builds of games. While I'm not into Shenmue, I never thought I'd see this day.

Had no idea it didn't release in the US until the Xbox version, that's crazy !!
Electronics Boutique sold the PAL DC version + region unlock disc in the US and Canada, though, so it wasn't hard to get if you knew about it. The only downside is that it was a bit more expensive than a domestic release.

Earlier build discovered, contains more unused content.

Shenmue%202%20Dreamcast%20Game%20Jam%20Temporary%20Loading%20Screen.jpg

This isn't tied to the western localization specifically, in fact it predates the final Japanese version by about 3 to 9 months.
But it's still utterly nuts to see. Some notable discoveries include a ridable bike for Ryo, more unused maps, and uhhhh...
Yu Suzuki himself cosplaying as Ryo?
Y%C5%AB%20Suzuki%20Hazuki%20Shenmue%202%20prototype.jpg

Awesome.
Awesome, awesome, awesome.
fun fact, my avatar was this close to being a picture of the back of Ryo's jacket

Back
Top Bottom