• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Universal Studios Rumor: Donkey Kong Coaster Scene By Scene Breakdown

Gartooth

Universal Madness
Founder
Pronouns
He/him

Theme Park Stop just uploaded a new rumor video on the upcoming Donkey Kong land at Universal Studios. It includes descriptions of the coaster scene by scene so it can be considered spoilers if you want to go in blind when this eventually opens.

The channel did a similar video on the Mario Kart ride a long time before it opened in Universal Japan, and it was totally accurate on what scenes were in that ride based on the exact Mario Kart tracks. So you've been warned for spoilers. lol

Anyways to me this land sounds incredible. The ride is basically a perfect recreation of a minecart level in the Retro DK's, I can't wait to go on it one day!

Article Version of the Video

Donkey-Kong-Layout12.jpg

Map of the coaster track and land too

Huge credit to Alicia on this, this is an incredible overview of the land.

At the end of the ride you'll get a sneak peek at the new Donkey Kong game by EPD Tokyo before getting blinded by its sheer greatness. Absolutely worth it tho.

This ride has been in development for a long time. Like I remember hearing about this back in 2017.

Yeah, this ride has been in development since Universal and Nintendo made their deal in like 2015. Super Nintendo World as a whole is really inspired by the Wii U games at the time since those were the most recent when they were designing the park, such as 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Returns/Tropical Freeze.

Another game nearby may involve Ellie the elephant and is rumored to be multiplayer, where multiple guests will have to work together to solve a puzzle or complete a task before time runs out.

I still find this kinda hard to believe tbh. Like literally the rest of this land is 200% based on Retro's take on the franchise so it just feels really random to also include a character that hasn't been in a DK platformer since the Rare era in the 90s.

Like it'd be really fuckin' neato if it panned out but but it's just weird that out of all the old Rare cast they didn't bring back for DKCR/TF (i.e K. Rool, Expresso, Winky, Enguarde, etc) they'd choose Ellie the Elephant of all things.

I still find this kinda hard to believe tbh. Like literally the rest of this land is 200% based on Retro's take on the franchise so it just feels really random to also include a character that hasn't been in a DK platformer since the Rare era in the 90s.

Like it'd be really fuckin' neato if it panned out but but it's just weird that out of all the old Rare cast they didn't bring back for DKCR/TF (i.e K. Rool, Expresso, Winky, Enguarde, etc) they'd choose Ellie the Elephant of all things.
Nintendo could just be throwing the fans a nostalgia bone. Alicia has a really good track record.

It's because Ellie is sitting there in the leaked model. Could be that the designers intended to use the generic elephant in the DKCR cutscenes but got confused in a Google search. lol But as you said Ellie is such a weird pick that I do wonder if she will actually make it into the final land or get replaced with another character for her mini game.

The video mentions 3 minigames with 1 for Rambi, 1 for Ellie, and a 3rd with a water cannon by the lagoon. It would be amazing if Enguarde featured in that.

But does everyone on the ride get a coconut gun that fires in spurts?? The ride looks quick and nimble when it needs to be.

Ride sounds like a dream come true tbh. More stoked for this than I was for base Super Nintendo World.

In all seriousness, if there isn't a mascot costumed DK crew performing the DK rap, this whole theme park business will be for nothing.

Yeah, this ride has been in development since Universal and Nintendo made their deal in like 2015. Super Nintendo World as a whole is really inspired by the Wii U games at the time since those were the most recent when they were designing the park, such as 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Returns/Tropical Freeze.
The WiiU was a flop but its fantastic games continue to be influential on Nintendo. I love it.

The WiiU was a flop but its fantastic games continue to be influential on Nintendo. I love it.

Yeah there's even influences of other Wii U games there too like NSMBU and Captain Toad.

Then for older stuff there's callbacks and Easter eggs to SMB1, SM64, SMG1+2, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Pikmin, and so on. It's pretty cool how much gaming history they packed into the park.

Not a single crocodile in sight :<...

I know it was definied way before the supposedly new era of DK, but DKCR aesthetics is kinda generic;

I was hoping they'd keep the Ellie animatronic we've seen in one concept art

Still, super cool that this is happening at all; A whole half of the park is just Donkey Kong themed, and that can't be shrugged off. Huge for the IP!

Whether or not she ends up in the final park is up for debate, but she's definitely in the initial concept art that continues to remain accurate to the park layout.

unknown.png

It stands out in a park that is predominantly DKC Returns themed, with a tiny bit of Tropical Freeze (Funky Kong's shop). We haven't even gotten confirmation of Dixie Kong appearing in the park yet so gotta wait and hold out hope for other DK elements.

Needs a Cranky animatronic berating guests.
Well Universal DO have a patent for talking animatronics that respond differently based on game performance and score; and Super Nintendo World's Power-Up Bands are the only system at the park that this would really work for...

Shit-talking Cranky will be a hit with the kids, i'm certain.

Okay I wrote this whole post and then decided to datamine the Universal Japan app for fun; and then, well... stay tuned :)

I'm so freaking excited for this! I just need to save up some money for the occasion.

On the topic of Ellie, it is a bit weird to choose her over the more popular animal buddies. Based on my assumption of who's popular and not my personal ranking, I feel the rideable animal buddy hierarchy would probably be:

1. Rambi
2. Squawks
3. Enguarde
4. Squitter
5. Rattly
6. Expresso
7. Winky
8. Ellie

Thank you @MondoMega!!!

This is all incredible to read. So we got Rambi's Congo Bongos, Temple Team-Up, and Monkey Mouth as the minigames.

Pretty disappointing that there's no Beaver Bother minigame, I was hoping I'd have to wait in line for 10+ hours to play that

I'm fully aware Ellie's in that model btw. I just don't expect it to actually materialize in the final product, already it's not very encouraging that there doesn't seem to be any mention of her in that big leak dump Mondo posted above.

Hope I'm wrong and the mad lads actually were crazy enough to throw a random DKC3 reference in this otherwise sanitized DKCR era, but yeah.

Not a single crocodile in sight :<...

I know it was definied way before the supposedly new era of DK, but DKCR aesthetics is kinda generic;

I was hoping they'd keep the Ellie animatronic we've seen in one concept art

Still, super cool that this is happening at all; A whole half of the park is just Donkey Kong themed, and that can't be shrugged off. Huge for the IP!
To be fair they could have decided to add K Rool as a mascot costume or some other smaller elements that wouldn’t necessarily be obvious till things open. Like King Kut-out

Yeah I was gonna ask Mondo too if I could share it on a theme park discord server. They'd go nuts for this. lol

I better get a damn sticker for finding and photographing every Pikmin
That's already a thing in the mario section of the park actually.

"com.upr.snw.popup.stamps.pop_FindBinocularsUltraZoomPikmin": "This stamp can be earned only once.",
"com.upr.snw.popup.stamps.pop_FindBinocularsUltraZoomPikmin_desc1": "Use the Binoculars to zoom in on the Pikmin on Mt. Beanpole.",
"com.upr.snw.popup.stamps.pop_FindBinocularsUltraZoomPikmin_name": "Pick out Pikmin",

EDIT: The stamp in question:

pik.png

Last edited:

Maybe Ellie is in the new DK game 🙏🙏🙏

I'm fully aware Ellie's in that model btw. I just don't expect it to actually materialize in the final product, already it's not very encouraging that there doesn't seem to be any mention of her in that big leak dump Mondo posted above.

Hope I'm wrong and the mad lads actually were crazy enough to throw a random DKC3 reference in this otherwise sanitized DKCR era, but yeah.
They can have her as part of the bongos attraction:
606732-918811_20040927_002.jpg

This also opens up the possibility for K Rool to show up as part of a Bongo game...

Bash_K.Rool_DKa.png

I think they’ll be saving K. Rool for the Hideout Helm attraction; you’ve got 10 minutes to turn off his big laser or else it’ll blow you up. They say it is as frustrating as DK64 itself.

I think they’ll be saving K. Rool for the Hideout Helm attraction; you’ve got 10 minutes to turn off his big laser or else it’ll blow you up. They say it is as frustrating as DK64 itself.

I was thinking a good use for him would be in the "DK64: the 4D Experience" attraction, where you're locked in a room with a professionally trained boxer dressed in a K Rool mascot costume who beats you up. They say that much like playing DK64, the 4th dimension is pain...

Finally had a chance to watch, dang sounds like a super impressive ride and great translation of the games.

I love that it's more connected with the land, like the Yoshi Ride in Mario land.

Back
Top Bottom