• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Undawn (featuring Will Smith) cost roughly $140m to make... Made roughly $287,000 (yes, 287 thousand)

Tencent has also seen a key in-house game bomb. "Undawn", a zombie apocalypse shooting game that Hollywood star Will Smith was hired to endorse, flopped spectacularly despite having a budget of close to 1 billion yuan with more than 300 developers, according to two of the sources.
Last month, one year since its launch, "Undawn" brought in revenue of just $287,000, according to research firm Appmagic.

So I had never heard of this and I decided to look it up and are you fucking kidding me.

How was this so expensive.

300 devs????

As wild of a failure that Undawn seems to be, I find it more interesting to see the lessons Tencent is learning from this and their other declines. Per the article:
After a string of IP game setbacks, Tencent plans to be more selective.
"We're focusing on fewer bigger budget games. Typically, we're seeking to make the biggest bets around games that either iterate on a successful IP ... or games that are iterating around proven gameplay success within a niche and taking those to a more mass market," Tencent Chief Strategy Officer James Mitchell told an earnings call on Wednesday.
Pony Ma, Tencent's founder and chief executive, has been blunt that the company's video game division - which last year generated 180 billion yuan ($25 billion) in sales or around 30%of overall revenue - needs to do bette

Competitors have continued to create new products, "leaving us feeling we have achieved nothing," he told a stadium of employees in Shenzhen at the company's annual meeting in January, according to a separate source with direct knowledge of the event.

That month, Tencent also launched its "Spring Bamboo Shoots Project", aiming to incubate in-house games with novel gameplay and offering budgets of up to 300 million yuan ($42 million) per game. While that is much less than budgets of 1 billion yuan for a major franchise, the initiative signals Tencent is willing to take more risks on non-conventional game design, the sources said.
Lower budget games that try to do more interesting things with gameplay and rely less on preexisting IP? That sounds like a good pivot to me.

As wild of a failure that Undawn seems to be, I find it more interesting to see the lessons Tencent is learning from this and their other declines. Per the article:

Lower budget games that try to do more interesting things with gameplay and rely less on preexisting IP? That sounds like a good pivot to me.

well deserved and a good sign for the future then

just hope the employees aren't affected badly by this

Finally they‘re learning from Nintendo.

it's still gonna be mobile slop, so no real changes

That number seems off because I can check on Sensortower and the game has earned way more than that. It's split by different server (including one published by Garena)
The combined total is around $2 million for last month assuming I found the right app for the Chinese version.
That's still kind of low for their investment

Tencent makes predatory, micro transaction ridden mobile games, they are nothing like Nintendo. It doesn't help that Tencent supports the corrupt Chinese government.
I was referring to the quotes, where they said that they‘re going to make smaller games with „novel“ gameplay. I know they’re completely different from Nintendo, but it‘s atleast a step in the right direction.

Tencent makes predatory, micro transaction ridden mobile games, they are nothing like Nintendo. It doesn't help that Tencent supports the corrupt Chinese government.

I'm very curious what you mean by this...

---

That said, I was just talking with someone about the rough estimate for Spider-man 2's sales based off available data (and not taking into account shipping/manufacturing costs and using USD as the base minimum), it would've only earned roughly $190-200 million, which is not sustainable for major gaming, especially with ballooned costs of the game being $300 million range. Seeing a game like this cost that much and only earn that much with all fees, production costs, and such, is just unreal to me.

That and his marriage situation 😓
I knew marrying Jada was bad from go. But not my place to speak on another man's situation. Wish the best for him moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom