• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion UK: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom biggest boxed release of the year, already outsold Skyward Sword, The Wind Waker, and A Link Between Worlds

Ozzie

Chain Chomp
Tears of the Kingdom biggest boxed release of the year, already outsold Skyward Sword, The Wind Waker, and A Link Between Worlds; launch 173% biggest than Breath of the Wild

Well deserved I say!

The launch crushing BOTW isn't surprising given the massive install base. I know Nintendo skews more physical than the other two consoles but I would love to see a split here.

Expected it to be a huge opening. Still, I think it'll only surpass BotW's sales if Switch 2 is backwards compatible and this get a patch upgrade. Without that I think it'll be close to BotW but not quite surpass it.

Wait it’s a bigger launch than the terf game? What?

Edit: holy shit it is
Not necessarily. It is a bigger physical launch by about a third but because Nintendo doesn't report digital sales to trackers we can't say for sure digitally (and therefore overall) especially given PS5 and Xbox tend to have higher digital splits and PC is almost entirely digital.

This is all in terms of UK.

Not necessarily. It is a bigger physical launch by about a third but because Nintendo doesn't report digital sales to trackers we can't say for sure digitally (and therefore overall) especially given PS5 and Xbox tend to have higher digital splits and PC is almost entirely digital.

This is all in terms of UK.
Yeah physical only, but even that’s a big deal given how big that game was (across three platforms)

Correction: 53% bigger then terf game. With vouchers I don’t think digital will be too far behind. Should be bigger overall. And world wide as well, terf game barely did anything in Japan.

UK has got to be one of the few regions where buying physical is almost always cheaper than buying digital for Nintendo first party games. You could pre order TOTK for as low as £45 physically when it costs £60 on the eshop. Do any other regions have this kind of disparity?

Expected it to be a huge opening. Still, I think it'll only surpass BotW's sales if Switch 2 is backwards compatible and this get a patch upgrade. Without that I think it'll be close to BotW but not quite surpass it.

If I had to guess I'd say it's doing 15-20 million in the Switch's life cycle; and could easily end up doing MK8 deluxe numbers if they give it a similar kind of treatment on the Switch's successor.

To be expected. Same-console-sequels usually start with a bigger launch than their predecessors, but it will ultimately fall well short of BOTW's total sales because it can't match the original game's legs.

Lifetime sales of those two game we will see in a few years, though I believe that TOTK easily can reach 20-25 Million just this year.

The terf game got smashed by a Japanese game which the protagonist is a gender neutral twink in its own land. Thank you for this moment, Aonuma.

Looking forward to see the inevitable PR statement for the worldwide sales.
Which was the last time they did it for a non-Pokémon game??

Tbh I don't even know what I expect. It going Pokémon and delivering 10m for the first 3 days isn't ruled out to be completely honest. Nintendo might want to overship it a little to meet the demand.

Which was the last time they did it for a non-Pokémon game??
I think that was with Metroid Dread, where Doug Bowser said how many units were sold in the US.

Edit: If we're talking stricly about worldwide performance, I'm pretty sure the last one was Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:
Pokemon was a holiday season game but also IIRC it skews pretty heavily to physical compared to Zelda. Wouldn't be shocked if TotK was bigger when you factor in digital.

We'll probably hear within 3-4 days from Nintendo.

Awesome. The game is fantastic. Easily passing 10 million units. Can't wait for worldwide data

As I said in the main thread, on launch day there was a queue at my Game 30+ in size by the time I picked up my copy at opening time. I knew then this was going to do big numbers.

A Zelda game becoming the biggest launch of the year in the UK, warms my cynical heart.

A quick Google search says that Wii Fit + Balance Board retailed at $89.99, for context.

Wii Fit must've generated an insane revenue with those tens of millions of copies sold at 89,99(was it Wii Fit Plus that costed 99,99 or I'm not remembering right?).

Come to think of it, but Ring Fit Adventure was probably one of the highest revenues of the Switch too as it was 79,99.

Tears of the Kingdom can generate the same revenue as BotW by selling way less too.

Back
Top Bottom