• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion UK: General Election called for 4th of July

crepuscule

Bob-omb
After another four and a half years of tory rule and a total of 14 years of tory-led rule we finally have an election which is likely to oust them. Unfortunately the replacement seems to be the most right-wing government in the history of the Labour party but I guess that is better than nothing. I certainly don't have any hope for significant change though like in 2017 or 2019.

If you want to vote in this election and haven't already registered to vote at the address you now live in (for instance it is your first time voting or you have changed address since the last time you registered to vote) you should do so here: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote Deadline: 18th June 23:59

If you are resident in the UK and have Irish or Commenwealth citizenship you are also eligible to vote and can register above. Some EU citizens who do not have British, Irish, or Commonwealth citizenship can register to vote but are only eligible to vote in some local elections not general elections such as this.

This is the first general election in which (in an obvious attempt at voter suppression) you must have eligible ID to vote. A list of eligible ID is found here: https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/photo-id-youll-need

If you do not have eligible ID you must instead apply for a voter authority certificate: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate Deadline: 26th June 17:00

In order to apply for a voter authority certificate you must have your National Insurance number and a recent digital photo of yourself. If you do not know your National Insurance number you can find it on payslips or benefit letters. Otherwise you can get it online or by post as detailed here: https://www.gov.uk/find-national-insurance-number

You have a right to vote by post or by proxy of another person. This may be useful if for whatever reason you think you might not be able to attend a polling station on the day. Additionally in the case that you unexpectedly find yourself unable to vote on the day you can apply for an emergency proxy vote up until 5pm on election day: https://www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote (deadline: 19th June 17:00) and https://www.gov.uk/apply-proxy-vote (deadline: 26th June 17:00)

1350px-Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election_after_2019_%28LOESS%29.svg.png
As much as election predictions based on current polling indicate a near total tory wipeout I wouldn't get my hopes up. They will almost certainly lose but many reform voters will return to the tories in the coming weeks so I fully expect them to move from 23% to at least the high 20s.

When deciding if you want to vote tactically in your constituency there exist websites in which you can put in your postcode and they will reccomend your votes but the method(s) used to determine these reccomendations have been critisised as biased. Personally I would rather look at the wikipedia page for your constituency and specifically the past results along with local context in order to decide for yourself.

Last edited:
I'll be glad to see the Tories go and look forward to seeing as many of them losing their seats as possible. But not voting for Labour either - Starmer is little better than the incumbents and as a trans person, well... chuckles I'm in danger.

I live in a safe Labour seat, I think I saw one poll suggesting the Greens were actually fairly close but I have no idea if that was an outlier. Probably voting Green anyway, I don't think they're amazing but the local Greens at least seem pro-trans (they actually suspended the previous candidate because she was a TERF) and that's my compromise vote. Provided they actually pick a pro-trans candidate. I'll be keeping my eye out on that.

I can see a really low turnout, since people are sick of the Tories but Labour aren't exactly inspiring. Anything other than a Labour victory is still going to be a major shock though.

Wouldn't mind if Labour got some bloody noses too. Corbyn has a chance if he stands as an independent (which I believe he is), since he's apparently pretty popular in his constituency and still with his constituency party - although of course they will be required to campaign for whoever Labour selects. Thangam Debbonaire in Bristol is another one to watch, in the locals I think most if not all wards in her constituency went Green. The Greens will be looking to unseat her for sure.

I also expect Reform voters to return to the Tories but the only upside there is that at least our third most voted for party won’t be the far (well, furthest) right.

Starmer vs Sunak is going to be a pretty dull election given that both are desperate not to have any policies that split their voter base, seeing as we’re still in the shadow of Brexit and will be for decades. Starmer needs to keep the chunks of Labour that voted leave together with its more leftwing elements, so expect vague, quotable ‘time for the Tories to go’ without any actual stances on issues that matter (even though it’s hard to disagree with such rhetoric after 14 years of miserable Tory rule). And Sunak is gonna lean on the mildest of economic recoveries in recent days like a rat on a life raft in an effort to stop a complete rout. Both of them are gonna claim ‘I’m the guy for stability, the other guy will doom us all’, when the status quo isn’t exactly wonderful and neither have any answers.

Still, I’ll be looking to see what my vote can do on local matters- I usually vote Lib Dem or Green depending on whether either have a chance here. I agree with OP that the tactical voting calculators aren’t particularly reliable, it’s worth putting a bit of time into seeing what’s really going on at your local town hall.

Last edited:
What we need is Count Binface to form a party and run a national campaign. That way the 4th of July could have been Bindependence Day.

I don't personally plan to vote for any party that's likely to win. Rishi is an out-of-touch multi-millionaire who lost a leadership election to Liz Truss and Keir Starmer's taken Labour so far to the right that it doesn't resemble Labour anymore. If I voted for either, even tactically, I'd never forgive myself.

Also, y'know, neither party's likely to progress trans rights in any way. So that sucks.

Still, people fought pretty hard in the past to get me the right to vote, so I want to use it. I'm thinking I might vote for the Yorkshire Party or the Greens or something.

Yep I too will certainly not be voting for the genocide enabling, bigoted, insanely neoliberal pro-austerity "Labour" party that can't even meet Blair's standard of having policies that last more than a year. The ideal outcome (that is slightly realistic) for me would be a hung Parliament with Labour as the largest party with Green and left independent gains hopefully enough to defeat trash like Wes Streeting and co. privatisating the NHS even further. Trans rights are an absolute disaster as well. From Self ID as policy under bloody May to this is completely insane.

This will be my first time voting in a general election! I'm really glad that the Tories are expected to lose this election, however, I'm not exactly excited for a Labour government under Keir Starmer, lol.

At the very least, I'm just glad that the MP for my constituency (Conservative) is expected to lose his seat.

I'll be glad to see the Tories go and look forward to seeing as many of them losing their seats as possible. But not voting for Labour either - Starmer is little better than the incumbents and as a trans person, well... chuckles I'm in danger.

I live in a safe Labour seat, I think I saw one poll suggesting the Greens were actually fairly close but I have no idea if that was an outlier. Probably voting Green anyway, I don't think they're amazing but the local Greens at least seem pro-trans (they actually suspended the previous candidate because she was a TERF) and that's my compromise vote. Provided they actually pick a pro-trans candidate. I'll be keeping my eye out on that.

I can see a really low turnout, since people are sick of the Tories but Labour aren't exactly inspiring. Anything other than a Labour victory is still going to be a major shock though.

Wouldn't mind if Labour got some bloody noses too. Corbyn has a chance if he stands as an independent (which I believe he is), since he's apparently pretty popular in his constituency and still with his constituency party - although of course they will be required to campaign for whoever Labour selects. Thangam Debbonaire in Bristol is another one to watch, in the locals I think most if not all wards in her constituency went Green. The Greens will be looking to unseat her for sure.
I think Labour has enough pro-trans folk within the party that Starmer’s horrid TERFy tirades are much less likely to come to anything, but still pretty scary. I’m really lucky to have a very pro-LGBT issues Labour MP and have no qualms voting for them again so it might be worth checking your local candidate‘s history.

Either way, fuck the Tories and the sooner they’re gone, the better.

I think Labour has enough pro-trans folk within the party that Starmer’s horrid TERFy tirades are much less likely to come to anything, but still pretty scary. I’m really lucky to have a very pro-LGBT issues Labour MP and have no qualms voting for them again so it might be worth checking your local candidate‘s history.

Either way, fuck the Tories and the sooner they’re gone, the better.
You're right in that there are some very pro-trans Labour MPs, but Starmer, Streeting, Reeves et al are pretty openly transphobic. Anneliese Dodds recently had an apparently 'productive' meeting with everyone's favourite TERFs, the LGB Alliance, and she's the Shadow Equalities Minister, so literally the person who will be in charge of all this.

With their poll lead, the Labour leadership have had the political capital to establish themselves as pro-trans - but at every opportunity they've adamantly refused to, either prevaricating or simply going along with whatever the latest transphobic narrative is: the Cass Review (a blatant stitch-up), 'sex-based' hospital wards that exclude trans people, coddling and excusing Rosie Duffield, flatly refusing self-ID etc. etc.

Like, I get what you're saying, and as you say, it's scary, but I don't think a Labour government under Starmer is going to result in any wins for trans people, and many of the pro-trans voices in the party are on the left and unlikely to win any favour or influence with Starmer. That said, vote as your conscience demands. There's worse choices than a pro-trans Labour MP.

As for my MP, he's actually retiring. I don't really know his views on trans people, beyond generic platitudes on LGBT+ rights. The new Labour candidate doesn't mention anything beyond vague suggestions of tackling inequality (which seem focused on wealth and race). A cursory search of her Twitter revealed she tweeted in support of Transgender Day of Remembrance in 2022, and that's literally it. Without some full-throated support for trans rights, I really do not have any reason to trust her - plenty of people showed lukewarm support when it was convenient and jumped straight on the TERF narrative when that became convenient.

At the very least, we all get to watch the headlines on our almost entirely right wing press that’s been cosying up to Sunak become even more unhinged and foretelling of the apocalypse should the Tories get canned over the next 6 weeks.

I wonder if the Star will get a lettuce going for the new prime minister…

You're right in that there are some very pro-trans Labour MPs, but Starmer, Streeting, Reeves et al are pretty openly transphobic. Anneliese Dodds recently had an apparently 'productive' meeting with everyone's favourite TERFs, the LGB Alliance, and she's the Shadow Equalities Minister, so literally the person who will be in charge of all this.

With their poll lead, the Labour leadership have had the political capital to establish themselves as pro-trans - but at every opportunity they've adamantly refused to, either prevaricating or simply going along with whatever the latest transphobic narrative is: the Cass Review (a blatant stitch-up), 'sex-based' hospital wards that exclude trans people, coddling and excusing Rosie Duffield, flatly refusing self-ID etc. etc.

Like, I get what you're saying, and as you say, it's scary, but I don't think a Labour government under Starmer is going to result in any wins for trans people, and many of the pro-trans voices in the party are on the left and unlikely to win any favour or influence with Starmer. That said, vote as your conscience demands. There's worse choices than a pro-trans Labour MP.

As for my MP, he's actually retiring. I don't really know his views on trans people, beyond generic platitudes on LGBT+ rights. The new Labour candidate doesn't mention anything beyond vague suggestions of tackling inequality (which seem focused on wealth and race). A cursory search of her Twitter revealed she tweeted in support of Transgender Day of Remembrance in 2022, and that's literally it. Without some full-throated support for trans rights, I really do not have any reason to trust her - plenty of people showed lukewarm support when it was convenient and jumped straight on the TERF narrative when that became convenient.
You're completely right and very well put on all of that. I know I'm very lucky to have an MP who has spoken out against the party line on trans issues in past and hence I have no issue voting for.

I think a lot of the current UK Transphobia epidemic is gonna blow over in the next five or so years and work into a general acceptance and hence similar legal protections to other LGBTQ+ folk after that, but the key thing is making sure that none of the current rhetoric is enshrined in law before we get there, because then it becomes trickier to unpick. The problem is five years is a bloody long time when you're living every day. Just remember the majority of us aren't like the Starmers and Sunaks of the world, and there's so many out there who love and accept you just as you are. It's a hideous waiting game, but the next generation will have what ours didn't.

I live in a safe Labour seat so have the luxury of being able to vote for the Greens safe in the knowledge it won't help the Tories and that I don't have to 'lend' my vote to Labour. Still, farce of a system where by my vote essentially doesn't count.

Sunak at a biscuit factory takes suspiciously easy question about what makes his economic policy so good… that turns out to be asked by literal Tory MP plants in the audience.

At the Derbyshire event, Sunak appeared to pick a questioner at random, first alighting on Hall-Evans, who asked what set the prime minister apart in terms of improving people’s finances.
The third questioner, Hills, a Leicestershire councillor and part-time dentist, thanked the prime minister for attending when he was a “pretty busy man” and asked whether the Rwanda plan would “stop the boats”. Neither of the men mentioned in their question that they were Conservative councillors.
The questions allowed Sunak to talk about his priority issues of the economy and immigration, telling the audience that he had improved inflation and had a plan to deport people who arrived in the UK illegally to Rwanda.

The Conservatives were approached for comment on whether the councillors were planted in the audience and whether they had been given questions.
A Conservative source: “We do not control who asks questions – anyone can try and ask one.”
Riiiight, so these councillors just happened to be there, forgot to declare they were in the party to the rest of the group, and just happened to ask easy, hyper-convenient questions which were the ones Rishi just happened to be keen to field. Corrupt fuckers.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they let Sunak out, given that most interactions he has with the public only exemplify how out of touch he is, and how artificial his attempts to bridge the gap are.

Then again he's toast after the election anyway and he can go live it up in California (word is Mrs Sunak is very keen to get out there).

I'm surprised they let Sunak out
Funny story but he has actually already disappeared from the campaign and on day 4 of a six week election he is spending the day at home consulting his advisers. That shows how much of a disaster things have been so far - they're probably trying to reboot things already.

By way of contrast, all the other major political party leaders are out on the campaign trail.

I heard someone on the radio refer to the election as the ‘genny lec’ this morning. Which is up there with ‘platty joobs’ as shorthand that just makes me want to sit in a darkened room with a pot of tea until it all blows over.

Let’s just call it lettucebait instead.

This is the first general election I can vote in but the first election I voted in was the local election earlier this month.

We seriously need political reform in this country by ditching FPTP and going for some kind of PR system instead and over time, hopefully altering voting habits in a way where people don't 'feel the need' to vote for either the Conservatives or Labour because they are the biggest parties and voting for someone else (depending on the constituency) is essentially a wasted vote even if they are your preferred candidate but you may need to vote tactically if the constituency is marginal to get the lesser of two evils.

What a batshit attempt to shore up support from the Daily Mail crowd.

Also, reverse ferret in action-
Sunak was accused of hypocrisy over his scheme. In January, the prime minister rebuked the chief of the general staff, Sir Patrick Sanders, following his suggestion the UK might need a citizen army to fight Putin. The prime minister’s spokesman said at the time that Sunak did not agree with his comments and insisted there would be no return to national service, which was abolished in 1960.

It’s essentially Sunak grabbing this policy from Sweden in an effort to encourage hardline Reform voters to vote Tory.

Last edited:
ICYMI:

Rishi wants to reintroduce compulsory National Service for 18 year olds if he wins the election.

How does he think this is going to win him the election. Just, how. Young voters are going to hate this, parents are going to hate this, the only people they could possibly be appealing to are cranky old BNP voters and they're a tiny minority of the population. This man has a fucking credit card where his brain should be.

How does he think this is going to win him the election. Just, how. Young voters are going to hate this, parents are going to hate this, the only people they could possibly be appealing to are cranky old BNP voters and they're a tiny minority of the population. This man has a fucking credit card where his brain should be.
Unfortunately the Daily Mail is going to love it and they are the biggest news site on the planet.

What I find really crass about it is the only young people it would affect can’t vote yet (18 year olds this summer would likely age out of it before it goes through into law). So it’s going to be a load of old people voting for something that will only affect those who don’t get a vote yet. Which is just vile. Make it national service for everyone and then see how popular it is when boomers are told they need to waste 12 of their weekends or a year of their life doing some mandatory volunteering too. The same ones that just missed doing national service themselves.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Daily Mail is going to love it and they are the biggest news site on the planet
I actually used to read the Daily Mail when I was younger. It combined fairly serious content with not being unwieldy to physically hold. Somehow I still ended up with a seething hatred for the right wing.

It’s all rebranding ‘project fear’, implying the Tories are doing something about gearing up to shore up the military. Which having teenagers doing some ‘mandatory volunteering’ for a few months or weekends isn’t going to help one bit. But it sure sounds good to bitter Mail readers who think ‘lack of discipline’ is why they don’t get on with young people who aren’t as batshit xenophobic as they are, and will just use it as a stick to beat them with.

Last edited:
With Labour seemingly successfully wooing the core Tory vote, my guess with the whole national service thing is that it's a desperate attempt to try and shore up the Reform vote. Very desperate.

No party is perfect. I’ll be voting Labour to get rid of the Tories. They need a majority to make sure the Tories are fully removed.

Adm Alan West, a former chief of the naval staff, said it was a “bonkers” plan which would deplete the defence budget.

“I’m delighted if more young people become aware of defence and are involved … but this idea is basically bonkers,” Lord West said. “We need to spend more on defence, and – by doing what he’s suggesting – money will be sucked out of defence.”

He added that Rishi Sunak should have committed more funds to the defence budget before the election.

Richard Dannatt, a former chief of the general staff, said the proposal was “electoral opportunism”. “The costs of this would be considerable in terms of trainers and infrastructure. This task cannot just be imposed on the armed forces as an extra thing to do,” he added.

This is basically what I was saying above. That implying you are strengthening the army by introducing mandatory national service for a year just burns military resources without strengthening them at all. As suddenly you need a whole new corps of management, training and accommodation for thousands of unskilled teenagers, that rotate out after only a year, and all the issues around that, just to please Daily Express readers. If you want to strengthen defences, it needs long term investment, not quick political wins that impose massive problems on already stretched public sector organisations.

Gotta hand it to Ed Davey, his campaign strategy of just living his best life as a slightly cringe weirdo is a lot better than Labour's factional warfare or the Tories still not realising that Sunak should not be allowed near the public ever.

Sunak’s campaign is like a never-ending run of bacon sandwiches. I’m loving it.

All of the following Cabinet Ministers would lose their seats:-
James Cleverly (Home Sec) -
Penny Mordaunt (Leader HoC) - Kemi Badenoch (Business/Trade Sec) -
Jacob Rees-Mogg (ex Leader )

Electoral Calculus accurately predicted the outcome of the 2019 GE at this same stage in the campaign If their current forecast holds true, the Tories will experience their worst result in history

Just gonna quote these as it cheers me up

wat????? Is this from an alternate universe?

I ain’t paying for that shit, but the first few lines are:

Whisper it, but Rishi Sunak is making an extraordinary comeback
With Starmer floundering, Farage flailing and Ed Davey acting a fool, a Tory revival is now on the cards

The polls may not reflect it yet; in fact they remain positively dire for Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party...

lol. So basically, ‘even though the polls are dire, the opposition are running a crap campaign, there’s a chance’. Still not sure how that justifies the present tense of ‘making’.

Pure fantasy from the Torygraph’s dinner party set

I would love to see a parliament where the Lib Dems manage to reach official opposition status and the Tories shunted into 3rd.

Oh but imagine if we get that 4% swing and Sunak loses his seat
Still more likely than the Telegraph’s mythical ‘extraordinary comeback’ they are trying to will into reality not by whispering, but by a column in the national press

I'm skeptical the Conservative wipeout will be as big as those polls are suggesting, but I'd be happy to see it. Political opposition to Labour coming from a relatively more left position might be an interesting opportunity for the left Even if Labour's majority might make it token, it's still better than the Tories trying to drag Labour further right.

I'm skeptical the Conservative wipeout will be as big as those polls are suggesting, but I'd be happy to see it. Political opposition to Labour coming from a relatively more left position might be an interesting opportunity for the left Even if Labour's majority might make it token, it's still better than the Tories trying to drag Labour further right.
If labour gets high 400s seats the only opposition that can't be squashed like an annoying bug will come from careerist infighting and journalists propping up the far right whether that be a newly reformed Tories, 'reform' or someone else by giving them an unjustified amount of airtime and coverage. If you think a couple of dozen SNP and Lib Dem MPs (many of which will be as right wing as Labour) will be able to provide even token opposition from the left then you are a lot more optimistic than me.

I can't see any path out of this electorally in the near future but I do not want Labour's policies especially on the NHS to be implemented and that means I cannot hope for a large Labour majority even if that means the fucking Tories get 200 seats or whatever.

If labour gets high 400s seats the only opposition that can't be squashed like an annoying bug will come from careerist infighting and journalists propping up the far right whether that be a newly reformed Tories, 'reform' or someone else by giving them an unjustified amount of airtime and coverage. If you think a couple of dozen SNP and Lib Dem MPs (many of which will be as right wing as Labour) will be able to provide even token opposition from the left then you are a lot more optimistic than me.

I can't see any path out of this electorally in the near future but I do not want Labour's policies especially on the NHS to be implemented and that means I cannot hope for a large Labour majority even if that means the fucking Tories get 200 seats or whatever.
Oh, I'm not optimistic at all. But you take what you can get in a scenario where there is no realistic way to stop the harm Labour is likely to inflict. And there isn't, anything other than a sizable Labour majority is 100% hopium.

Oh, I'm not optimistic at all. But you take what you can get in a scenario where there is no realistic way to stop the harm Labour is likely to inflict. And there isn't, anything other than a sizable Labour majority is 100% hopium.
Yeah I agree. I was just saying I wouldn't be happy to see a Tory wipeout as big as the polls are suggesting because it would mean labour could do whatever they want which would completely overwhelm my glee for the end of the tories in basically any other situation.

Can’t believe he’s back.

Farage talking to The Times in February and bemoaning the actual representative part of being an MP-
Do I want to be an MP. Do I want to spend every Friday for the next five years in Clacton?

Farage whipping up a load of bigoted nonsense in Clacton in June-
“Is this the most patriotic town in the whole country?

Did he just think there weren’t enough dangerous, divisive, extremist clowns in the press this week or something.

Back
Top Bottom