• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Triangle Strategy - Review thread

Final predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guaraná

Paratroopa
header.png

VOLKS.NET - 4/5
Triangle Strategy is an excellent strategy game with a heavy focus on a very good, very malleable story. Characters are well-written and very likeable, the story goes to some absolutely fascinating places, and the game’s strategy combat is best-in-class amongst its peers. Unfortunately, inconsistent visuals and a gameplay/story balance skewed far too heavily on the story side hold it back at times — but looking past that is easy when the rest of it is so good.

DIGITALLYDOWNLOADED.NET - 4.5/5
On the surface, Triangle Strategy seems like a straightforward and even no-frills homage to the tactics JRPGs of yesteryear. It has clearly been developed to tap into the same qualities that made Final Fantasy Tactics such a beloved classic for so many years, but there is more to it than that. With the tone and structure of a historical epic, Triangle Strategy is much denser and more demanding of its players than many might go into expecting. Engage with it on that level, however, and it's one of the finest examples of the genre you'll ever find.

NME.COM - 4/5
Where Square Enix’s first HD-2D game Octopath Traveler suffered from a disjointed narrative, Triangle Strategy excels with rich world-building with an ambitious but grounded story of conflict and loyalty that will test your convictions as much as your tactical prowess. With engaging battles and a varied roster, it’s an old-school tactical RPG you’ll be glad to return to and make more devastatingly conflicting choices.

GODISAGEEK.COM - 8.5/10
I would never get tired of seeing and living in the world, here, and there are so many decisions I made that I want to see alternative paths for, that I’ll be returning to the world of Norzelia pretty soon, because despite a few irritations, it’s a fantastic, deep RPG that thoroughly engaged me from start to finish.

CGMAGONLINE.COM - 7/10
But Triangle Strategy feels like: “Oops, All Exposition,” and while I did find myself enjoying it at times, I found myself glazing over far too often. It’s clearly got a big story to tell, but at the expense of all the other gameplay, and it ends up feeling more like a visual novel with some combat encounters, so it can technically be called a game. I’ve no doubt people will find something to enjoy here, but speaking for myself—as someone who genuinely likes turn-based strategy games—I’ve had to really push myself to enjoy it, and I don’t know how many people will.

GAMESRADAR.COM - 3.5/5
So while Triangle Strategy soars in its actual strategic battles, it stumbles a little elsewhere. Leading characters are easy to root for in the opening hours, but it’s a shame Square Enix takes so damn long to develop actual personalities outside of politicking for the majority of them. Duking it out on the battlefield is a joy, and the voting process for major story-changing decisions is an inspired spin on simply selecting a given story route, but it’s a shame there isn’t a solid roster of empathetic characters backing up this whole ordeal.

RPGSITE.NET - 7/10
It may seem that I’m cold on Triangle Strategy, but that's really just because I think it lands just shy of greatness. Hardcore strategy fans may not truly enjoy this unless they keep their expectations in check, but otherwise, Triangle Strategy does a great job repackaging a classic genre for a modern generation. The narrative lacks the tact and nuance to be remembered alongside the greats, but it still offers an engaging war drama that kept me invested. It sacrifices complexity for approachability in both the story and gameplay, which works even if I have some reservations. If you’re looking for a great introduction SRPG or are desperate to get your fill on the Switch, Triangle Strategy should be on your radar. I’ve only finished one of the endings and enjoyed it despite my issues, so I’ll definitely be back for more in the future.

Last edited:
do people like this game demo? I’ve been playing the demo and my god they talk and talk and talk. Such little battling so far. Not sure if I want to buy this game anymore.

This is definitely a low 80’s game from the demo I’ve played so far. Of course that’s not a bad thing, but I’m getting Golden Sun Dark Dawn vibes from this game. With way too much talking. It almost gets boring. I do like some of the characters so far and I think the HD 2D is better than Octopath Traveler.

Last edited:

Artstyle is being appreciated, gameplay is seen solid but not impressive. Story is Square Enix basic stuff. All in all it will get a number of 80-90 reviews and most will be between 7/10, 3/5, 3,5/5 etc.

Probably deserves more as a video game but won't.

Man people in this thread are out here fuckin' wilding. "Too much talking," I absolutely loved that about it. I also talked to every NPC on every map and read all of the lore entries. From what we've seen of it so far, this game does worldbuilding extremely well.

I think T-Strat is going to score in the 75-80 range.

Also some esteemed reviewer is definitely going to snip a point or few away just because they don't like the naming gimmick that Square has had with the HD-2D line. I love that they are willing to jest with it.

82-84, being kinda generous here and hoping the pacing is improved later on in the game. If not it'll land at an 80 or something.

Last edited:
77-79. If the rest of the game has the pacing of the demo, I don't see it passing the 80 mark.

I think it will have around the same score as Octopath (83) even if this looks like its going to be a better game to me at least , it will probably drop 2-3 points due to not being the first 2D-HD game so my guess is 80-81 its going to depend a lot on the reviews and how used are they to playing text heavy jrpgs though.

Yeah, I think this one is a low 80s. It's absolutely going to have its fans and will certainly have clear strengths, but that glacial pace could prove divisive - really depends how long an individual campaign is and how much the pace changes after the opening hours.

i'll be ambitious; 87!

think this one has a lot of potential. and reviewers aren't unkeen on giving great SRPGs good scores. like Three Houses

i hope for a 86, but probably the game will be hampered by some questionable review (too much talking etc) and will settle around 80-81

Whatever the critics say, from what I already played from this game, it will be a >90 game for me. Can't wait to dive in.

The reason there's so much dialogue in this demo is that the story starts branching extremely early and they probably want to introduce the key elements and players of the setting so the player can make informed decisions.

There's already a huge drop in dialogue between chapters 2 and 3.

Voted 75-80. Considering the precedent Octopath set, I'm curious to see if they stick the landing as far as narrative goes. I also think some reviewers might lament the lack of unit customization when compared to the FFT games, or even the more recent FEs.

(I'm assuming there's no job system or anything to the effect in the final game, correct me if I'm wrong)

My guess is high 77-82 range, based off of what I’ve played if the demos. I really enjoyed what I played but I can see the dialogue being a sore point for a lot of folks.

I'll say 80 on the dot.

The demo was fun when I actually played it but there was much too much downtime. It's not that there's too much talking, it's just that everything outside of combat and strategy gameplay was boring. The VO sounds like they dragged in people off the street.

I wondered if this was just how the formula aged so I booted up Octopath Traveler, and I had a much more enjoyable time; there's just more to do. So I think I'll skip this and wait for Live A Live. That'll be my HD-2D game this year (of the ~2 coming out lol).

Low-mid 80s I think. It's a niche genre, and having too much dialogue will bring the score down for many people I think.

I just hope it does well so we can get more of these projects.

Octopath Traveler has a higher meta score than I thought

but with the tiresome dialogue making its return, and the art style being less novel this time around, I think it will score a bit lower

I hope I'm wrong, love a good SRPG

I'm enjoying the demo. The music is surprisingly good (I was worried that it would be a step down from Octopath since it's a different composer, but so far I think it's great and has its own unique identity) and I LOVE all the background and political intrigue. Definitely very talky, but I just played Xenosaga and enjoyed that so it's not bad to me lol

One thing I'd heavily recommend is changing to Japanese VO. I'm not a stickler for sub/dub, but I think Serenoa specifically is just not that great in the English VO. No disrespect to the person who voiced him, but I really felt the read of the character was kinda bland. In Japanese, he's voiced by an industry veteran (who voiced a few characters I love, like Raichi from Ace of Diamond) and I feel the deliveries are much more suitable to the dialogue.

Octopath is an 83 on meta and 84 on open, and I think this is going to do better. I think the ppl who don't like strategy games will still love the art style, music, and story. For ppl who do like strategy games, I think it's going to live/die based on how they feel it is relative to FF Tactics, and I think it's going to come out on top.

Fully expecting this to land in the 80s. Went with 80-84 to lowball it. I think the genre itself doesn’t have broad appeal and this is going to have the nostalgia of FF Tactics hanging over it. I don’t expect it to equal FFT much like OT wasn’t trying to equal FFVI.

Team Asano has made it very clear at this point that they are interested in making their own things.

82 is my bet. Reviews will say it's a great game with great art design and graphics but complain about it being a STRPG like FFT or Tactics Ogre.

Low 80s, maybe high 70s. Gameplay and story/characters will be praised, but will be seen as hampered by story pacing and poor voice acting

Personally I really liked the demo despite not really liking extensive story focus in general. Thought the story, worldbuilding and characters were pretty well done

Man people in this thread are out here fuckin' wilding. "Too much talking," I absolutely loved that about it. I also talked to every NPC on every map and read all of the lore entries. From what we've seen of it so far, this game does worldbuilding extremely well.

Yep, it's an SRPG from Japan, so I appreciate the world building as well. It's more like waffling if they go on and on about the same thing like in other JRPGs sometimes but this one actually has plenty of characters and it didn't feel like they were waffling or monologuing that badly compared to a lot of other JRPGs I've played in the past. The dub being as it is doesn't help matters though, I reckon.

I am feeling optimistic, so I will go with an 85. My game is downloaded and I am ready to go on Friday.

SRPGs with good gameplay and map design tend to get big praise from critics, and am optimistic this will have good gameplay

The problem is this having a bad story would hurt it way more than Octopath given the focus and amount of time spent on it, and I find it likely that the story will turn out to be mediocre and generic

I still need to get around to the demo. I'm still not 100% sold on HD-2D. I liked Octopath Traveller but sometimes I felt like I was peering at it through a sheen of vaseline.

I am in the 78-83 range. Totally need to get in on that demo..

I didn't play Octopath Traveler, but the HD-2D style from the Triangle Strategy demo looked very nice, especially on the OLED screen.

I feel like the prologue Demo is also going to have a lot more imbalance of story to gamplay compared to the rest of the game since it's literally establishing the world and characters of which there are quite a few and there is quite a bit going on. But it's also good that the game adds enough context to each actual battle that takes place so you have a solid sense of the stakes involved.

I’ll guess an 8 or an 80. I don’t see it going higher than an 8.5/85. I also don’t think it’ll be much bellow an 80 though.

I voted the 80-85 option because I feel that many reviewers will be comparing this to Final Fantasy Tactics when outside of the general gameplay it's pretty different. Unlike FFT where you can make pretty much any unit whatever you need them to be the units in this game have predetermined classes and abilities which I think will turn off those who are so used to creating monster characters that are capable of destroying everything in their path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom