• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Trails Through Daybreak |ST| Our Wild Arkride Through Calvard Begins!

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #PraiseTheProcess

Welcome to the ST for Trails Through Daybreak, the 11th directly connected game in the long running Trails series! Daybreak is the start of the Calvard arc, the fourth arc in the series overall that introduces us to a whole new cast of characters to meet inside a new country in Zemuria. Additionally, the classic turn based combat system is being joined by action combat that you can swap between as you please to most efficiently tackle foes. We have more Trails fans than ever on Fami so I’m really excited to share this journey with all of you!

If you are new to Trails and are interested in potentially starting with Daybreak, the first game in the start of each arc is usually designed to be newcomer friendly. That said, the status quo start for Daybreak will inevitably spoil some of the wild adventures of prior games and I’m aware of a good handful of returning characters from prior arcs that will be here whose stories continue, so this is ultimately the fourth best choice for a Trails game to start with. My main advice isn’t to discourage anyone from starting here as the more Trails fans there are the better, but just be sure you know what you are getting into since you can only play through these games for the first time once. If you’d like more information on Trails, I recommend checking out my unofficial ST for Trails From Zero for a good overview on the series or asking around either the Trails Community ST or the RPGs ST. We have a lot of Trails fans on Fami who’d love to help you get into the series so don’t be shy! There are also some generous demos for Daybreak on the eshop and PSN that allow save data to transfer, so that’s a good way to give the series a try!

Incidentally, since we will likely have a good mix of fans here between people who have played every game (including some beyond the English releases), some who fell off of prior arcs, and others who are starting fresh, please be extra mindful of spoilers here and make good use of both ispoilers and well labeled full spoiler tags. Even if something was covered in marketing or in the generous demos this game has, please keep in mind a good number of us like to play these games as fresh as possible so we have held off for the full release.

Here’s some basic info on Daybreak. First, the release platforms are Switch, PS4, PS5, and PC. The PC version of course was once again handled by Durante and his team and has numerous added features. There’s a great interview with Durante you can read here if you want more information (thanks @Yamanoi for sharing!). As for the basic plot set up, Daybreak follows a new character, Van Arkride, who is sort of a jack of all trades for hire, a Spriggan, who takes on jobs the police and Bracer Guild avoids. The adventure begins with Van receiving a new case from a student at a local prestigious academy who visits him at his office in Edith, the capital of Calvard.

NEW FEATURES

Calvard
– Calvard has been teased for ten games now and finally you can properly explore it in Daybreak! A whole new cast of characters and plenty of familiar faces from the three prior arcs are here!

Field Battles – Daybreak features a new real time action combat system called field battles to quickly take out weaker foes. The classic turn based combat returns as well and you can swap between using either system to most efficiently take out enemies.

Xipha – The classic orbment system is getting a big revamp in Daybreak thanks to the new Xipha equipment. In addition to the main Holo Cores, there are four lines to customize with Quartz: weapon, shield, drive, and extra. By equipping certain combinations of Quartz you’ll gain access to new Shard Skills which will assist you in combat.

Alignment LGC – Your choices throughout the game will shift your alignment between three values, Law, Gray, and Chaos. Different values not only change who you can ally with and what conversations and quests you have access to, but they also can shift your stats and abilities.

GrendelVan’s super form seen in trailers. You can eventually use it alongside your team to dramatically impact the tide of battle as it can act with multiple turns back to back.

Zin Returns – That’s right! After missing out on the last seven games, Zin The Immovable is back! Heck yeah!

RESOURCES

As with my other Trails STs, I’d like to include a few resources before I wrap up here. First up is the chronology and availability of the series:

Trails in the Sky – PSP/Vita, PC
Trails in the Sky SC – PSP/Vita, PC
Trails in the Sky The Third – PC
Trails From Zero – Switch, PC, PS4
Trails To Azure – Switch, PC, PS4
Spinoff(?) - The Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails – Switch, PS4, PC
Trails of Cold Steel – Vita, PS3, PS4, PC
Trails of Cold Steel II – Vita, PS3, PS4, PC
Trails of Cold Steel Northern War – Anime on Crunchyroll
Trails of Cold Steel III – PS4, PS5, Switch, PC
Trails of Cold Steel IV – PS4, PS5, Switch, PC
Trails Into Reverie – PS4, PS5, Switch, PC
Trails Through Daybreak – PS4, PS5, Switch, PC
Trails Through Daybreak II – Leaked for Western Release
Kai No Kiseki – Farewell O Zemuria – Coming Soon In Japan

In addition to the games and anime listed here, there is an ok anime OVA series for Sky that plays with the canon a bit if you want to track that down. There is also a very terrible mobile game that the Trails of Cold Steel Northern War anime was supposed to promote. Just stick with the anime if you even want to bother there as the game’s translation is horrendous, its gameplay is poor, and it crashes frequently.

My second resource is a handy list of all of the Trails STs on Fami so far, the RPGs ST, and NISA’s official Daybreak website if you want more info and trailers.

Trails From Zero Unofficial ST
Trails To Azure ST
Trails Into Reverie ST
The Legend Of Nayuta Boundless Trails ST
Trails Community ST
RPGs ST
NISA’s Official Daybreak Website

Finally, I do plan to add here whatever guide I end up using for Daybreak to this OP down the road. The series generally has tons of missables which is where I find a guide most personally handy. Walking into this game, I’m especially curious how impactful the Alignment system will be on missables in particular.

TOGETHER THROUGH DAYBREAK

Alright Fami, this is it! It’s been almost nine years since the Cold Steel games began releasing in North America and finally we have our next big step forward for the series. This is a very exciting moment for Trails fans. I hope y’all enjoy this ST and let’s all have fun enjoying and discussing Daybreak together :)

Last edited:
Could you let me know what the text size in portable mode is like? That’s the only thing stopping me picking it up, I like everything I’ve read about it otherwise!

Although some of those outfits are the most tropey-ass thing I’ve seen this week. The maid with the guns is hilarious.

I like the sound of the alignment system and being able to fly through weaker battles with action combat, that might help pick up the pace a bit when the nature of turn-based battles with positioning tends to be slow. I enjoy the tactical depth of such battles in boss fights where I’m likely considering each move anyway, less so when it’s vs a handful of basic monsters that are no real threat but it’s more about just firing off strong attacks to blast through their tons of HP.

Last edited:
Could you let me know what the text size in portable mode is like? That’s the only thing stopping me picking it up, I like everything I’ve read about it otherwise!

Although some of those outfits are the most tropey-ass thing I’ve seen this week. The maid with the guns is hilarious.
I'm sure we'll get a few Switch players here who can speak to that and there's also a demo (which I think saves transfer with? edit: it does!), but for me this is actually the first Falcom Switch release I'm skipping! With how NISA has gone back and made PS5 versions of their recent Falcom games, I'm actually feeling pretty hopeful they'll be making Switch 2 versions of Daybreak sooner than later in the Switch 2's life.

Thank you for your wonderful effort in making this ST!

It's been a wild ride for me since starting Trails in the Sky last year and somehow I've managed to catch up in time for Daybreak! I am so excited that we're finally in Calvard after hearing so much about it, we have a brand new cast of characters to meet and the story sounds like it's setting an interesting tone for me with the way Van will be skirting along the moral gray in his role as a Spriggan.

I'm sure we'll get a few Switch players here who can speak to that and there's also a demo (which I think saves transfer with? edit: it does!), but for me this is actually the first Falcom Switch release I'm skipping! With how NISA has gone back and made PS5 versions of their recent Falcom games, I'm actually feeling pretty hopeful they'll be making Switch 2 versions of Daybreak sooner than later in the Switch 2's life.
Perfect I’ll grab the demo later today and have a look! Great OT.
Thank you for your wonderful effort in making this ST!

It's been a wild ride for me since starting Trails in the Sky last year and somehow I've managed to catch up in time for Daybreak! I am so excited that we're finally in Calvard after hearing so much about it, we have a brand new cast of characters to meet and the story sounds like it's setting an interesting tone for me with the way Van will be skirting along the moral gray in his role as a Spriggan.

Yeah I’m looking forward to that too, sounds like some interesting decisions and a lead character that isn’t a plucky teenager for a change.

Thanks for another great ST! I hope I get to start it on Friday. Best Buy unfortunately didn't give me the option for in-store pickup, so I had to get it shipped directly to me. Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

I’ve already played Daybreak two years ago in Japanese, but I’m looking forward to playing it again for the the loc on day 1! It’s in my top 5 for games in the franchise

Halfway through Reverie (I think), but looking forward to maybe playing this game late summer/early fall.
I tried the demo, just to see the combat, and I thought it was ok, but could use some options. I think what I dont like is the color of the text box color. In CS through Reverie it was blue-ish but a solid color. In Daybreak its more transparent so it blends a bit with the background/characters.

Halfway through Reverie (I think), but looking forward to maybe playing this game late summer/early fall.

I tried the demo, just to see the combat, and I thought it was ok, but could use some options. I think what I dont like is the color of the text box color. In CS through Reverie it was blue-ish but a solid color. In Daybreak its more transparent so it blends a bit with the background/characters.
Thanks for that, much appreciated! I was going to try the demo this evening but I’ve been sidetracked by other RPGs as usual

As -the- game that set me on the path to learning Japanese back when it came out (and am now at the point where I could play Kai no Kiseki without too much issue), and the game itself just being incredible, with an awesome party that really connected with me, Daybreak 1 is my favorite game of the 2020s so far and the game means a lot to me. I'm really looking forward to seeing people sink into it!

There's a lot.

Full Patch Notes
Here are the (reasonably) complete patch notes:
Miscellaneous fixes and improvements:
English localization, of course
Fix a potential crash in camp menu when rapidly using direct shortcuts
Prevent possible crash when switching the volumetric light option from "off" to another setting
Improve auto message advance behavior, and add an option to control the delay
Implement default language auto-detection from the platform (Steam, GOG, Windows)
Use Steam Dynamic Cloud Sync API
Modify physics at higher framerates to be closer to the reference behavior at 60 FPS
Add a compatibility warning if the mod "ENGPATCH.p3a" is loaded (This is obviously no longer necessary, but might lead to subtle issues when playing the game)
Allow mouse camera movement in some specific situations where it was previously disabled
Be more resilient when users decide to remove the .dlls for any platform (Steam, GoG, EGS); the game will now continue to work, and just disable the respective integrations
Slightly improve the I/O behavior of the game when looking up assets
Don't use scan-code lookup for extended keys; this could cause issues when trying to do things like binding an action to "volume up" (please don't)
Fix BGM stopping in specific circumstances in one event
Clear gamepad input upon controller disconnect

Graphics-related fixes and improvements:
Implement MSAA, SGSSAA, and transparency MSAA, and add options for all of them
Implement HDR display support, including separate 3D and UI brightness options
New UI texture filtering implementation for sharper and higher quality UI/fonts, especially at low resolution
Change shadow caching behavior, significantly increasing shadow quality; also add a setting to control its behavior
Improved baseline quality of static reflections (cubemaps), and also offer a higher quality version of them
Fix the light culling compute shader on AMD GPUs (and improve performance due to less lights being considered)
Add an option to switch between the old (PS4-style) and new (updated PS5-style) water shading pipeline
Scale more 3D UI effect internal rendering resolutions according to the display size and portrait supersampling setting
Fix a rare issue that could lead to sporadic black pixels on water
Use high-quality resampling for resolution scale (very minor quality improvement)
Fix a 3D scene in the game which had minor missing geometry (glass panes)
Unlock a small number of animations that were previously limited to 30 FPS
Fix display mode changes leading to stars on night maps being lost until the next area load
Overhaul all the graphics presets, and add a new "Console" preset

UI-related fixes and improvements:
Add BGM info display feature and an option to control it
Add option to always show the turn order in battles
Use a separate page for autosaves in the load menu to improve navigation
Shorten save titles for better readability in save/load menu
Apply the font size setting more consistently
Fix button prompts to show message backlog during dialog option selection
Fix draw order of close button prompt on alignment result screen
Fix button prompt spacing in help message when unlocking voice DLCs
Revamp the settings menu and categories to better accommodate new settings
Fix button prompt label alignment in orbment/equip screens
Fix date format, change character list and add more vertical space in save details in save/load menu
Improve mouse handling in the settings menu
Allow mouse hovering over guest members in camp/status and shop
Make button prompts on event pause screen clickable
Play tab change sound when switching tabs in notebook using the mouse

Aspect-ratio-related fixes and improvements:
Fix alignment of character name introduction in ultrawide
Fix alignment of message backlog button help in ultrawide
Fix alignment/background of connection effects screen in ultrawide
Fix alignment of message log components in ultrawide
Enable black bars for game-over screen
Fix "Arc Dominator", "Pandemonium Ruler" and "Twilight Kiss" craft scaling at non-16:9 aspect ratios

This is the game that finally pushed me to start Trails because i thought it looked really good, wild to think i managed to play every other title in the timespan between its announcement and western release lol

Won't start right away because i still haven't finished Reverie (i'm right before the final boss, but i still haven't touched most of the Daydreams...), hopefully i'll like this more than i ended up enjoying IV and Reverie...

Back
Top Bottom