• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Tokusatsu |ST| Forum Squadron FamiRanger, Combine!

Nearing the endgame of Kamen Rider Fourze, just wrapped up episode 32. Final form is here and it’s rad. While plot armor meant it wouldn’t stay
Meteor killing Kisaragi was still raw as heck, and shocking . Also Suspenders(Oosugi) arc has been super satisfying even if he is still a bit of a creep. Curious to see how this all wraps up.
Looking at giving Kabuto a watch next

Overall it’s basically crap but the amazon sale got me for 2 things, one off my enjoyment of Fourze and the other off my hype from Blazar(despite also having orb in the backlog)
IMG_7397.png

Problem is now I have to choose whether to watch Kuuga or Ryuki first XD

Started rewatching Kamen Rider Build tonight, this is still a very special show to me. Hard to believe I first watched it two years ago.

Definitely hope to somehow own a Blu-Ray release of it. Zero-One got one so why not!

Ultraman Blazar 14

Really cool kaiju this week! It leading to an aerial battle that lasted for the entire episode was unexpectedly awesome--I really do love how Blazar's been bringing new stuff like that to the table. The Emi plotline was also preeeeetty interesting, and has more all the more curious about where the show's main arc is going.

Ultraman Blazar 15

Very sweet episode that reminds me not just of stuff like The Goonies or The Monster Squad, but also episodes from past Ultraman series that put the focus on characters outside the main cast, like Ginga S's Gan-Q episode; and those are always some of my favourites! Nice to continue getting more on Gento's home life, as well as seeing Blazar do more crazy shenanigans with the Spiral Burrade. The kids' actors here did a really great job, and so did their dub VAs for that matter--they made sure to get actual kids there too! Kudos all around!

Ultraman Blazar 16

An appropriately spooky episode to air just before Halloween! Mogusion had a lot more tricks than I was expecting, leading to a really fun battle; in a series that's already had a lot of good rumbles, this one was especially a stand-out (the Tilsonite sword continues to delight me). Loved a lot of the visuals that Mogusion's illusion powers were able to conjure up here, both some funny stuff and also some that was a little bit creepy. Great episode all around.

Finished my Build rewatch earlier and I've been watching Zyuohger. It's a pretty basic, no frills Sentai but I really love the costumes/theme and the character dynamic is fun. It has a very Showa vibe with the costumes, soundtrack and mecha. Overall I'm enjoying it so far.

Also strangely enough there was a MOTW that had the same voice actor as Evolt from Build. What are the odds lol

This looks pretty cool. A bit more on the humorous side of things but that's not too bad.
Also Gokai Blue is the main character in the japanese dub :D

Oh man this week's Ultraman Blazar was so good… Zangill, gone too quick apparently we got returning character cameo too. Aw man Zangill is way too good a design to be a one off, hopefully they reuse him in the future

Last edited:
@Mandos might want to make sure that's properly spoiler tagged

Also, YYH trailer! Honestly looks pretty good, have some reservations but I am somewhat optimistic:

Ultraman Blazar 17

In a series that's been a constant parade of high-quality goodness, I think this is my favourite episode so far. Zangill was so damn entertaining a character in his interactions with both Gento AND Blazar. I really hope he somehow makes a return some day, as the character concept is good--an alien ghost samurai hunting down the ghosts of kaiju to lay them to rest? HELL YEAH, GIMME THAT SPIN-OFF SHOW. It was heart-warming as well to see that, despite his initial reservations about working together, Gento had really warmed up to the guy and was sad to see him go at the end. See you, space samurai...

This episode also gave us a cameo from my favourite Mebius alien (or at least someone from his species): Zamushar! That combined with everything else clearly makes it an 11/10

Kamen Rider Build 1-2
On a trip and decided to give it a try. Poor Banjou, he's had a hard life. Pretty wild setup, the lead is definitely the eccentric genius motif, and is it just me or is this setting up a Kamen Rider war?

Plan to start Ultragalaxy Mega Monster Battle this week. Well after I finish the first disc of Ultimate Muscle but it is my kit background watch XD

I finished the entirety of KR Black and the first half of Black RX recently, and as I pass the midpoint I'm starting to wonder when Shout's gonna do their next toku release at all. Been hoping for Turboranger or KR Agito for a long while now... The silence is worrying. Doesn't help the PR movie Blurays are going outta stock this month

Last edited:
I finished the entirety of KR Black and the first half of Black RX recently, and as I pass the midpoint I'm starting to wonder when Shout's gonna do their next toku release at all. Been hoping for Turboranger or KR Agito for a long while now... The silence is worrying. Doesn't help the PR movie Blurays are going outta stock this month
Discotek releasing Black/Black RX suggests perhaps things have changed - they have their Toku Time label so likely releasing more going forwards, be interesting to see if perhaps Sentai and KR will head to Blu Ray through Discotek

Finished Zyuohger. I think the final arc was a bit weaker than the rest of the show and the villains weren't very interesting but overall I had a pretty good time with this. I liked having a Red that was mature and thoughtful, pretty rare for a modern Sentai.

Gonna take a bit of a break but I think my next show will be Kamen Rider Stronger.

Ultraman Blazar 18
Boy we're starting the end game plot ramp up aren't we?|wave 3! Gelbaga back! Conspiracies possibly revealed?
Great episode as usual

Started Kamen Rider Build, interesting setup so far. Banjou had better suit up at some point tho!

Kamen rider build 5
Man Blood Stark is so perfectly petty making things personal, love the design too. Hints at Sento's past and Banjou being a reckless fool. Kind of curious seeing where the main plot amps up to with how relatively small scale things so far have been, they're obviously teasing something bigger scale for the back half

Ultraman Blazar 18-19

Mixed feelings on this two-parter. I feel like it almost needed to be a three-parter, as the two plotlines--SKaRD vs. Irugo and Emi's investigations--were kind of competing with each other to have enough breathing room here, and I feel like it ended up hurting both. Firdran's entrance into the story in particular felt oddly paced, and I feel like it kind of blunted how emotional Emi's reunion with her father should have been.

That said, there was still a lot I liked in these episodes. The big battle in the first part was especially good (loved that new insert song), and I really did get a kick out of the little interaction we got between Blazar and Firdran; they're buddies! Despite it not being a full-fledged new form like other Ultras' final power-ups, I also dig how Blazar's combination with Firdran looks; Blazar using it to roast the hell out of all of the Irugos was awesome. I'm also really loving-to-hate Dobashi as our resident human villain. What a delightful bastard he's turning out to be.

Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger

As someone who didn't care for Power Rangers: Ninja Storm a whole lot as a kid, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this series. The entire serialized story arc was so good and constantly left me wanting to watch one more episode, especially during the Gouraigers arc. The cast could be both super-engaging and hilarious, with everyone playing well off of each other; Jakanja has cemented itself as one of my favourite villian groups in all of toku, with that final battle against all of them in the last episode helping to make it one of the most memorable finales for me ever. Really liked all of the mechs here as well (even the bad guys got some pretty awesome-looking ones), with the Karakuri Balls providing some pretty fun finishers. A special shout-out to the show's music as well, there were so, so many great tracks that stuck out to me as I watched (THAT GOURAIGERS THEME).

also Shurikenger is officially the GOAT sixth ranger, sorry dem's the rules

Watched Power Rangers Cosmic Fury the other day, which, if I have things right, is the last Power Rangers before they reboot it. It's kind of a low key ending to the series, especially compared to some previous attempts at writing an ending, but I do think it worked fairly well at what it was trying to do. I've generally not been enthused by how recent seasons brought Zedd back, but he feels more in character here, and, despite some initial concerns, plays off the Squid Ink Inc. villains fairly well. It does feel like perhaps they could have used more episodes to better establish the new villains and give some of the subplots more room to breathe, but they do manage to make the story work by having it be a very direct sequel to Dino Fury and mostly reusing characters from that (+Billy).

I don't know a lot about the Sentai this was adapting, but I imagine very little of it was used outside of a few monster designs and some Zord footage. Even the suit designs, which I have some mixed feelings about, seem to be a PR original.

Watched Power Rangers Cosmic Fury the other day, which, if I have things right, is the last Power Rangers before they reboot it. It's kind of a low key ending to the series, especially compared to some previous attempts at writing an ending, but I do think it worked fairly well at what it was trying to do. I've generally not been enthused by how recent seasons brought Zedd back, but he feels more in character here, and, despite some initial concerns, plays off the Squid Ink Inc. villains fairly well. It does feel like perhaps they could have used more episodes to better establish the new villains and give some of the subplots more room to breathe, but they do manage to make the story work by having it be a very direct sequel to Dino Fury and mostly reusing characters from that (+Billy).

I don't know a lot about the Sentai this was adapting, but I imagine very little of it was used outside of a few monster designs and some Zord footage. Even the suit designs, which I have some mixed feelings about, seem to be a PR original.
Yeah its not an adaptation of anything, the zord footage (and as a result probably some monsters) is the only Sentai content left in the show now - stories are all original, suits all original etc and the reboot will be all original i believe with no sentai footage at all

It is based off of the Metal Heroes tokusatsu, but is a one off OVA from what I can tell. I haven’t seen it and I don’t know if anyone here has ever seen this, but I have fallen in love with the opening theme song

Intro

Full opening theme

Ultraman Blazar 21
Another great episode. Wild to believe we’re entering the end game here. Show just continues to be consistently great. Only complaint I have is with the family vibe it doesn’t really make sense for Gento to be hiding the Blazar truth from the team. Also any secret units true enemy: paperwork

Oh man, that next episode teaser tho. If they’re breaking out Red King this late into the season we’re in for a good time
It is based off of the Metal Heroes tokusatsu, but is a one off OVA from what I can tell. I haven’t seen it and I don’t know if anyone here has ever seen this, but I have fallen in love with the opening theme song

Intro

Full opening theme

Metal heroes always had the issue of the concepts outpacing the budget of the era and having to wind up on earth halfway through. Like Juspion being purely space would’ve been way more interesting. Now an anime reimagining of that would be great
Been watching Kamen Rider Stronger and boy... they were right, that guy IS strong

But is he stronger than Tendo/Kabuto?
I’m working on build right now. Tho also been meaning to get going on Kuuga

Ultraman Blazar 21
Another great episode. Wild to believe we’re entering the end game here. Show just continues to be consistently great. Only complaint I have is with the family vibe it doesn’t really make sense for Gento to be hiding the Blazar truth from the team. Also any secret units true enemy: paperwork

Oh man, that next episode teaser tho. If they’re breaking out Red King this late into the season we’re in for a good time

Metal heroes always had the issue of the concepts outpacing the budget of the era and having to wind up on earth halfway through. Like Juspion being purely space would’ve been way more interesting. Now an anime reimagining of that would be great

But is he stronger than Tendo/Kabuto?
I’m working on build right now. Tho also been meaning to get going on Kuuga
That would be very interesting, also I like the fact the Juspion is basically RoboCop even down to his side arm and walk. I want to eventually watch the big ones from the metal series, I just need to find the time.

Also to talk about your point of the metal heroes series, I agree with your show basically set in space why would you go back to earth, as you mentioned more than likely it was budget issues though.

Edit: I feel like a fool, I seem to have mixed Juspion with Mobile Cop Jiban.

Last edited:
There probably isn’t a point in bringing back the Metal Heroes series considering Kamen Rider and the Sentai series are mor popular, but I think if done right it could do well. Kamen Rider is your series set on earth, the Sentai series is usually set on earth and also pulls from mythology and Metal Heroes could be your series set entirely in space.

I probably don’t need to write, but I just want to make it clear that I am a tokusatsu casual. I grew up watching power rangers and a little bit of VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs so that’s where I mainly get my love of this genre from.

I have only recently gotten into checking out the original Sentai that PR was adapted from and have only seen the intros to the Metal Heroes series. I am mostly interested in the suits for the Metal Heroes series, but they seem interesting to me I do want to give them a watch.

Even thought I don’t keep up with the new Sentai series and entries I appreciate that there is a thread for this genre of television and I am glad that it continues to this day.

The suits are kinda boring but coming after three seasons of very over the top suits, this might turn out to be a good idea. The helmets are gloriously goofy :D

And the creative team makes me very curious: The main director is Shojiro Nakazawa, who was responsible for Ninninger and Shinkenger. And the head writer is Atsuhiro Tomioka, who's basically the best thing to ever happen to Pokemon (wrote a lot of iconic early episodes and was one of the main writers for the Gen 6 Anime), he doesn't have any experience with Tokusatsu as far as I know but I'm optimistic he'll bring some interesting things to the table.

The suits are okay but the helmets give me Ohranger knockoff vibes lol

The head writer did the Digimon Adventure reboot which doesn't make me particularly excited, but we'll see

Digimon Adventure: was fine. And that's like one against a myriad of actually good things Tomioka did.

Ultraman Blazar 20
Hey, a Teruaki-focused episode! I liked the plotline with his dad, as well as this episode's kaiju and how creepy it could be. Everything with the team's public service punishment was also hilarious, with a special shout-out to JYB's delivery of that "begging forgiveness" line in the dub; it was perfection.

Ultraman Blazar 21
The threat here being Deltandal again had me disappointed at first with how many new kaiju we've been getting otherwise, but it being more of a massive bomber plane this time around was a clever twist, so I'm glad it wasn't just a repeat of episode 14. Was really cool to see Yasunobu and Anri go all out in Earth Garon and kick some ass.

Ultraman Blazar 22
This was definitely one of my favourite episodes of the series. I love it when Ultraman does these civilian POV episodes (and Blazar kind of gave us two, first with episode 15 and now again here), and this one almost makes me want to see a whole series of insurance salespeople dealing with kaiju attacks and other Ultraman villains, haha. I thought it was a particularly neat touch how Tetsuo's harsh workplace seemed to be a kind of mirror to SKaRD's own bureaucratic struggles. Was also nice to see that good old Red King got the honour of being one of the few classic monsters to be majorly featured in this show.

In other news, speaking of Metal Hero, Discotek's recently made a surprise announcement that they're releasing Space Sheriff Sharivan on BD in February!

Digimon Adventure: was fine. And that's like one against a myriad of actually good things Tomioka did.
It was bad. Zero redeeming qualities aside from pretty animation and nice insert songs. But I'm willing to give the new show a chance regardless.

Ultraman Blazar 23
Huuuge ramp up for the endgame, so many great twists this episode. And some shocking firsts. Have we ever had an Ultraman before where the transformation is actively harming the host? Blazar does tend to take his host into space more than the normal ultra tho. Also earth defender Tarangulars! Considering how much the balance of this show has been Kaiju as part of the natural balance(and humans screwing with it), that’s a great twist. Final battle on the moon?! That final boss looks intimidating as heck curious to see how this all wraps up

Also something regarding the latest episode of Blazar’s certain revelation: Gento's health problems are the same ones astronauts who spend extended time in space suffer. So either the pocket dimension Blazar stuffs him in isn't stable or he's still subject to the gravity Blazar is(since we know they've been leaving the atmosphere to dispose of kaiju

Last edited:
Gonna watch some more Godzilla movies over the holidays. Just watched GMK, fun film with great music

Damn_son_thats_1_strong_beam.gif

Well over the holidays I watched a bunch of Showa Godzilla movies and had a blast. Want to watch the Heisei era next

Also happy new year

Nice to see another company follow the footsteps of Tsuburaya. The newest Garo series will be available on Youtube for free with various language subs.

Personally, Garo is one of my blind spots when it comes to Tokusatsu, so I'm really interested in checking this one out :)

(Also Toei is beginning to look like clowns more and more)

Nice to see another company follow the footsteps of Tsuburaya. The newest Garo series will be available on Youtube for free with various language subs.

Personally, Garo is one of my blind spots when it comes to Tokusatsu, so I'm really interested in checking this one out :)

(Also Toei is beginning to look like clowns more and more)

I gave it a look at it absolutely reeks of machine/AI translation. Not a good look IMO!

I gave it a look at it absolutely reeks of machine/AI translation. Not a good look IMO!
Aw man, that's a shame :/
Still better than nothing but that's admittedly not a high bar.

Edit: English subs seem alright to me? Given, I don't understand a lick of japanese but the subs seemed at least understandable :LOL:

Last edited:
Given Ichiban is a giant fucking weeb, I'm not surprised by this. But it is really cool :LOL:

Kojima :O

worth noting he also had a cameo in “Ultraman Orb The Movie: Let Me Borrow the Power of Bonds!”, but that was in a crowd of extras. making it hard to find photographic evidence.

Some of the clues are lining up for it to be W. Not a bad pick but it would have been better if it was licensed back when Fuuto PI was a thing.

Me, 30 episodes into W: oh Fuuto is the "windy city" because it's like Chicago

Last edited:
FYI, there’s retailer listings suggesting that Shout Factory picked up the rights to Kamen Rider Geats

doing one of the game themed riders is appreciated. (though I still wish Ex-Aid would get picked up by someone.)

and it’s interesting to see Shout prioritizing localizing the newest series as soon as possible. (Zero One also got picked up two years after it ended)

Shout Factory's doing a limited time, online-only release for a bunch of the Toku movies they started streaming recently. This includes Golden Bat (or, erm, Golden Ninja), so I'm picking this up for sure.

Cl-To-Co-BR-PS-Slipcase-72dpi-1.png

Get ready to be transported back to the sixties to experience some of the early, eye-popping Tokusatsu films from Toei. Fiends from outer space! Amphibious gill-men from an underwater city! A superhuman mummy ready to save Earth! Sonny Chiba fighting robot-men! This stupendous box set is your ticket to the best of the colossal-est genre of them all!

DISC ONE:
PRINCE OF SPACE (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / B&W / 57 min.)
A mysterious hero must intervene when a nefarious presence from outer space arrives to steal a powerful new rocket fuel.

INVASION OF THE NEPTUNE MEN (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / B&W / 75 min.)
Sonny Chiba stars in this fantastical adventure about repelling invaders arriving from a distant planet to attack Tokyo.

DISC TWO:
WATARI THE NINJA BOY (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Color / 86 min.)
When the evil leaders of two ninja clans con their members into a relentless war, only a young ninja boy can save the day.

GOLDEN NINJA (aka THE GOLDEN BAT) (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / B&W / 73 min.)
An evil alien threatens Earth, and a group of scientists travel to Atlantis to awaken a superhuman mummy defender in this thriller starring Sonny Chiba!

DISC THREE:
DRAGON SHOWDOWN (aka THE MAGIC SERPENT) (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Color / 85 min.)
A young prince must summon all his powers to take back a throne stolen from his family by a treacherous murderer!

NINJA SCOPE (1080p High-Definition (1.33:1) / Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Color/B&W / 52 min.)
Powerful ninjas and otherworldly creatures inhabit this adventure of Watari, a young ninja boy in feudal Japan.

DISC FOUR: BONUS FILM
TERROR BENEATH THE SEA (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.78:1) / English Dubbed DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Color / 79 min.)
Sonny Chiba stars in this tale about a group of surface dwellers who happen upon an underwater city ruled by a mad scientist and his amphibious servants.

Geats was probably my favourite from the Reiwa era so far, cool that Shout is bringing that.

IF ONLY THEY WOULD RELEASE IT INTERNATIONALLY

Back
Top Bottom